Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jsor posted:

Yeah. No. Don't apologize. You keep apologizing every time you shitpost and everyone piles on you, but then (and here's the key) you keep doing it. Half the time about the same three topics! Don't apologize if you're not gonna learn anything. At the very least, I think you would have learned by now that 90% of the visitors of this thread vehemently disagree with you and you're just gonna get a pile-on again. Basic pattern recognition or something.

In an attempt to segue away from derailgate...

Spoony posted a video on Lawful Good.

I just don't like the Lawful/Chaos system. Oddly, I find it works better on the evil spectrum, because at least Devils being bound by their word to uphold contracts is interesting. The issue I have with Lawful Good characters is that they're bound to uphold a bad regime as long as the power was attained legitimately. They will take action to change it, but it will be purely internal action, which doesn't work well when your entire regime is corrupt. To me, the clearest example of Lawful/Chaotic Good is Yuri and Flynn from Tales of Vesperia. Flynn just doesn't get anything done until Yuri helps by basically being a murderer.

I strongly prefer neutral good for heroes. I usually play neutral-leaning-on-lawful, but full-on lawful (or full-on chaos where you just assume every regime is suspect) sucks. I think Lawful/Chaotic good alignments are a product of their settings more than an inherent trait. Robin Hood works as chaotic good because the Prince/Sheriff is a dick that rules with an iron fist. King Arthur or Sir Gawain work as Lawful Good because their regime is just. It's a matter of context in most adventures, and I doubt a real lawful good character could in good conscience continue being lawful just because a corrupt regime attained power legitimately.

I'm sure a very heavy RP-focused adventure could make changing a system from the inside engaging, but it would be difficult.

I think this highlights the arguments people make about the D&D alignment system. I've actually been watching the older Counter Monkey videos, and Spoony's brought up alignment here and here (albeit not as the focus in the second example).

I can't remember if it was in one the videos I posted, or another video altogether, but something he touched on is that alignment shouldn't necessarily be a restriction, but more of a guideline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

While weakly maintaining an argument that the whole thing sucks, he mostly talked about how the gamer gate people suck. Occasionally he would toss in that there were some examples of anti-gamer gate having doxxed and harassed gamer gate people. Mostly it was couched in a framing of gamer gate being so pathetic that seeking to eradicate every gater and the hashtag was more or less poor sport. How you can watch it and sigh about Joe just not getting it, why isn't he anti-gamer gate, is beyond me.

His main sticking point with regard to labeling himself anti-gamer gate, despite detailing how sexist and horrible gamer gate is, seems to be that he knows some people getting painted with a large brush. I'm assuming this because he mentions the lack of solidarity in a hashtag movement. Whether you find his neutrality an artifice, which it largely is, or a betrayal of his previous stances is up to you. Dude's pretty anti-gamer gate judging by what he actually said.

That was sort of what I took away from it. His only issue with the anti-GG side was that he didn't think it right of them to dismiss everyone on the GG side, since he thought there were decent people who identified with the hashtag who were getting lumped in with the scumbags that harass people.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Out of curiosity, are Patreon donations taxed?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Testekill posted:

Or like the Barbie doll stuff in Small Soldiers being fetish poo poo. It's a Joe Dante film, how can you not understand that he has bizarre and deranged poo poo in his films for the sake of it being deranged.

I think that was partly a callback to a joke in the Foodfight review.

Honestly, though, I can think of several times where he just doesn't grasp stuff that should be obvious, or takes a really weird stance on something. I could list a few examples (though the ones I"m thinking of are probably pretty petty compared to the ones people have already pointed out). I wondered if in some cases, he intends for it to be 'in-character', but the Porco Rosso example probably invalidates that theory.

Also, on a side note, the latest NC video was on Mamma Mia, which Paw also reviewed.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know if this technically internet critic related, but whatever happened to the Current Releases column here on Something Awful? It just stopped updating back in October 2014.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like something that will eventually destroy kickstarter. I'm shocked there haven't been more high-profile frauds. I actually can't think of a single one.

I think the problem most Kickstarter projects have is with proper money management.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey, maybe Doug should try reviewing anime then, as a new show. Because his Sailor Moon video was so well done, or his Porco Rosso Disneycember where he didn't understand that Porco was a goddamn pig.

I never watched the Sailor Moon review he did, but I thought that the response to the episode was pretty negative, and people said he didn't get the show. What was the issue he had with it?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

If you want to name your toy skull and put it in all your backgrounds, fine with me. But it has to be a good toy skull that is crafted to look real, metallic, or crystal. Also, have the dignity to own the pretend skull of a person who went to the pretend dentist when they were pretend alive.
Plus, if you're going to have skull in the background, you should at the very least dress it up. Put some sunglasses on, stick a cigar in it's mouth, slap a backwards cap on it's head and now you've got the hippest skull on YouTube.

Honestly, if I made web videos where I appeared on camera, I'd put a prop skull in the background to (1) make a jab at these videos, (2) dress it up like I described above, and (3) find a way to incorporate this song.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

poparena posted:

Confused Matthew wouldn't get under my skin so much if he hadn't made multiple claims of being objective in his reviews. It usually boils down to something like "2001: A Space Odyssey is a bad movie because OBJECTIVELY it doesn't mean anything" and I hate him for it.

I watched the first part of the 2001 review, and mostly he just complained about how slow the film is, and that the film is bloated because of all the space-travel. I don't really want to watch the rest, but does he ever acknowledge the fact that it's based off an Arthur C. Clarke story?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

"...except for Cosmology of Kyoto"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Dude does not like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Everything he says is wrong. :arghfist::saddowns:

Linkara's going to do a review of Bloodlines, which should be posted tomorrow.

I bought Bloodlines on Steam, but I haven't had a chance to install the patch and play it yet, so I might not watch either review until I can.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I heard that too. Not sure how anyone made it more than a few seconds into Kickassia though.

I think I only watched the first video, and maybe part of the second. I gave up on it after that, though.

I was debating over the last couple of days on whether I should post this or not, but since Kickassia was brought up, I might as well. Angry Joe's announcement about dropping his coverage on Nintendo videos was brought up in the Let's Play Crap Shoot Thread. In response, somebody linked to this account from someone who was hired to help with the sound production for Kickassia.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

e X posted:

Seriously, you are actually going to link a 4chan post as a legitimate source? This is about as useful as the info you got of your friend whose uncle worked for Nintendo.

I agree. I meant to mention that the person who posted it over in the Crap Shoot thread also pointed out that it could all be untrue. That's partly why I was on the fence about re-posting it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

The art is loving wretched, and this is coming from somebody completely down with anime influence in western art. The problem is that it's aping late-80's teen anime, poo poo like Tenchi Muyo that never looked good in the first place, let alone after being run through babelfish.

I like it... :smith:

Not necessarily the art in this, but the other work that Adam Warren's done. I think the problem is that it really looks better in black-and-white. With color, it doesn't come off quite as well. Also, after watching the review, the impression I get is that Adam Warren can only do '80s-era cyberpunk manga and that 's it. You probably could've changed the names and you would have never guessed that this was about the Teen Titans.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Could somebody explain to me the appeal (or lack thereof) of Joss Whedon? I saw the first Avengers film, and I've caught parts of Firefly and Dollhouse. I thought Avengers was okay, but none of his television work really held my interest. At the same time, there was nothing that made me think his writing was really awful, but in either case, it's just that I haven't had much exposure to it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Loved the Loose Canon video, the Terry Pratchett joke killed me.

It's too bad she didn't cover any of the Discworld games, though, because she missed the opportunity to use this song in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Spoony is streaming himself playing FFXIII-2 and I remarked "Oh wow, we're gonna get a review before 2016" and he blocked me on youtube :allears:

Edit: Yes it was a prick comment but to get so instablocked all things considered is pretty funny.

You'd think at this point he'd give up on Final Fantasy.

Seriously, though, when he did his review on the Minority Report video game, I remember he did a vlog right after where he addressed the positive feedback he got from the review, and he talked about moving away from the Final Fantasy games. I thought maybe he was going to get back into the habit of producing content more often.

However, that video was uploaded two years ago. The last actual review he did was back in February. Since then it's just been wrestling vlogs.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Did they say anything about Dishonored 2?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tracula posted:

Little off topic here but was gonna ask. Just got Brutal Doom and it's mostly working but any suggestions for getting all the configs and stuff in order for it?

It would probably be better to ask over in the Early FPS Megathread.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking of the Escapist, does anyone follow Shamus Young? I've been reading some of the stuff he's written on his blog, and he seems okay. Honestly, I'm surprised that he's still on the Escapist, considering how many other people have left.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I finally remembered to check Spoony's site to see if he posted a new video.

Hey, there is a new video up, posted a little over a week ago! And it's not a wrestling vlog! I wonder what it might be?

http://spoonyexperiment.com/lets-play/live-wire-p-t/

:sigh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay am I the only one who is honestly getting tired of this joke?

I'm not tired of it, but I'm worried about what it's doing to my mind, because it's getting to the point where I'm considering seeking out a copy of Ishtar, and I know that it'll only end in disappointment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Is that from Mario Bro's. 3: Brick by Brick? I stumbled across it last time I was on Fangamer ordering Kari Fry's books. I remember because the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, all mentioning the numerous typos, how the book drones on and on about things that aren't nearly as interesting as Bob thinks they are, and how the margins are so hosed up you have to practically pull it apart to read the words that have plunged into the book's spine.

You can actually see that in one of the preview images.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Man of Steel sucked, HBomberguy can suck my dick. What a joyless, pointless, aimless waste of my loving time. You know a movie's good when +50% of the dialogue is other people philosophizing about Superman, but by the end of the film I have no idea what Superman actually believes in or stands for. Like, I can't even say that killing Zod and all those implied civilians is out of character for him, because he never gets to assert his character. Clark Kent has no arc, he just is Superman and everybody spends the whole movie talking about "Wow, a Superman" or "Oh no, a Superman".

It's like Zack Snyder watched The Dark Knight and didn't get that when the characters were philosophizing about Batman, they were really talking about the War on Terror, and the accountability of authority in general; because in Man of Steel everyone is just philosophizing about Superman, in a way that has no value to a world without a Superman, i.e. the world which we inhabit.
Didn't David S. Goyer work on Man of Steel too, though?

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: Yeah, and that's what I thought was part of the problem with the film. It was trying to mimic Nolan's Batman films by doing a similar visual style and bringing on the same screenwriter. I know this has probably been said a billion times before, but that dark tone doesn't really fit Superman.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 1, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

On the SVU chat, was their video game episode better or worse than the CSI video game episode? In the CSI one they had silly masks and somehow had a group psychological break with reality so they all thought they were really playing a GTA style game.

If that's the same episode of CSI I'm thinking of, it's the one where it turns out that the game developer conspired with said group to rob a bank or something along those lines. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, though, but I remember it was pretty ludicrous.

There was an episode of CSI: NY that focused on Second Life. I've seen a couple of clips of it and it's pretty hilarious.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Was it over twitter? Because I have a sinking feeling McIntosh hijacks her twitter every time something doesn't agree with him. He has a real bug up his rear end for things he doesn't like. Which, as far as I can see, involves any kind of violence in any media ever.
McIntosh seems to take issue with some bizarre stuff. He came down on the trailer for Rise of the Tomb Raider, saying that it was irresponsible because it endorsed the idea of climbing a mountain without proper equipment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

e X posted:

and
The two pillars of Social Justice, feminism and mountaineering.

I think he may retracted on it though, because I when I went to find the tweet in question, the only thing I could find was a reference to it on Rhianna Pratchett's Twitter (it said the tweet was unavailable). I was only able to find via the archived version. So it's possible he changed his mind about the critique and deleted the tweet in response.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 3, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, Kane is an objectively better human being than Davis Aurini by every possible metric.

Definitely a better dancer for sure.

Seriously though, I've seen interviews with Joe Kucan (the guy who plays Kane), and he comes across a being a really nice dude.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

It's a good video, though once again I find myself kinda frustrated that the videos are so academic in tone. I totally 100% understand why they are like that, they are meant to be academic, but the video basically boils down to "Games often use women as rewards for in-game accomplishments, let me spend 30 minutes explaining the ways in which video games reward behavior in general because I do not assume that you know anything about video games at all." And it's valuable to have stuff like this, that doesn't make any assumptions, but for me personally I wish there was somebody discussing this stuff who doesn't need to take 5 minutes to explain what an achievement is.

I think the videos are aimed more towards an audience who might not be familiar with video games.

Also, after watching the most recent video, I have to agree that do feel really dull and and lacking in energy. You can't make a 'master of unlocking' joke and phone-in the delivery like that. That's just not right.

Jimbot posted:

I wouldn't factor her twitter posts into what she puts into her videos. All of those are basically the exact same thing her boyfriend posts which leads me to believe that he just hijacks her account to leverage her fame into legitimizing his opinions. That's speculation, of course, but they say the exact same thing it's almost uncanny. He comes off as an insufferable, condescending prick while she has more tact and grace than that, despite what anyone thinks of her opinions or work.

I would think if that were that case, she'd tell him to stop doing that. Like you said, though, that might not be the case.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 31, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kunster posted:

His previous videos were "I can't enjoy a videogame without titty because science"

At first I didn't know what this could be in reference to, but then I saw the video, Game Theory: The Strategy of Sex Appeal in Dead or Alive.

Three minutes in, he says that it was a mistake to ban the use of sexy costumes in DOA5 tournaments because they are, "key gameplay and strategic elements."
:ughh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

lornekates posted:

"Helloooo, I'm the Critic. I remember it because you do to!"

Problem is that if he dropped "Nostalgia," then he'd just be "The Critic," and then everybody would think it was referring to the animated series.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The intro to MGS5 does run a little too long, but I think it serves as a decent introduction to the game and its controls if you skipped Ground Zeroes. Sure, crawling around in the beginning is slow, but it makes sense since you've been in a coma for nine years. It's also possible to fail in certain spots if you're not paying attention.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 is a ripoff of Kingdom Hearts 2.

In that they both have long divisive prologues and nothing else

I would argue that Kingdom Hearts 2 is more like an inverted MGS2.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cyron posted:

I can find you something more cookie cutter and safe, I forgot what it was but it was a FPS that is semi-futuristic clone of call of duty with the trailer having radioactive by imagine dragon. it came off like a stock image to play for a tv show.

it was posted in the games chat thread last month, that all I know.

Do you mean the trailer for the Ghost in the Shell FPS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTmm1s7zK4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I know I'm walking on eggshells when I say this, but I've never been totally behind Feminist Frequency. It's not that I think the videos are all full of crap, but there's always something about them that's always sat wrong with me, and I've never been able to ascertain what it is. If I had to give some kind of reason, I think I'd say they seem too clinical, or too shallow.

In the last few months, I've read a couple of things that oppose some of the critiques Feminist Frequency has made (Here's one by Jeff Kunzler regarding Mad Max Fury Road and another by Erik Kain regarding Witcher 3.)

I know this post is probably a mess (it's late, and I'm not great at articulating my thoughts), and I'm sorry if I coming across as an rear end in a top hat. I don't really chime in on the more hotly debated topic, but this has been brewing in my head for a while, and I wanted to put it forth and see if I'm being unreasonable or in the wrong.

A question, though: Did McIntosh actually say this, or is this just some image edit?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: \/\/\/ Never mind; that sounds like a much better idea.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

MGS 2 is the ebst of the bunch because it's the biggest trolling attempt in gaming and it worked. It's also fairly visionary commentary on the following 15 years. And it's used to teach Information theory ins chools (or that could be an internet urban legend).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

Best 12-minute long speech in video games.
I highly recommend this video on MGS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx2dgVKYWWU (Be sure to enable subtitles, as the narrator's voice is hard to hear.)

It does a good job at describing the ideas behind MGS2 and it's theme of information and memes. It also shows how in retrospect, the rest of series (Snake Eater excluded) was unnecessary.

Augus posted:

Quiet ruined video gaming forever by having a dumb booby design
I think this was brought up earlier in the thread. Quiet's design is dumb, and the whole photosynthetic skin is a weak, hand-wave explanation. Like Jim Sterling pointed out, if she's supposed to be like The End, then why didn't he run around in the nude?

At the same time, though, I feel like Quiet set up the framework for a much better idea. At the start of the game, I had thought that maybe her outfit had to do with some kind of phobia or trauma with being set on fire during the hospital sequence.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

A part of me really wonders if that was the idea originally, because then the comment about "being ashamed of their words and deeds" could make some sense, if Quiet's nudity is a trauma coping mechanism. But, you know, this would make Quiet not sexy at all, and kinda gross to get turned on by (see also: Asuka from Evangelion), and Kojima wanted Quiet to be sexy, so it got changed to the current guilt-free "justification".

Exactly. There was an opportunity to defy expectations.

At the same time, though, I wonder if that was the original idea, perhaps they dropped it because they felt it was too dark or they didn't feel comfortable dealing with something more serious.

I don't want to spoil more of the game (mostly because I haven't finished it yet), but if you search around the medical platform, you'll discover a room where you find Paz. It's then shown in flashback that the end of Ground Zeroes was a fake-out; they found the second bomb, and the explosion that took down the chopper was from a rocket launcher. Paz survived falling into the ocean (again) and now has amnesia.

It comes across as Kojima (and/or maybe the rest of the team) taking the criticism of the really dark tone in Ground Zeroes and ret-conning it in Phantom Pain. That makes me wonder if, in turn, they altered other elements of the Phantom Pain to further move away from that tone, and Quiet's backstory was one of the things changed.

Mind you, that's just speculation, though. There was a year-and-a-half of time in-between GZ and TPP, which may or may not be enough time to alter anything to that level (assuming anything was actually altered.) Like I said, I haven't finished the game yet (I'm only up to Mission 21), so I'm only going off what I've seen and some of the miscellaneous things I've read and heard.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

lornekates posted:

These hobbits are pawns!

I can't believe they will control the fate of Middle Earth.

Next, they will be hailed as the true messengers or Eru Iluvatar!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Just watch Evolution R and Revolution instead, which despite being a lot newer really capture the same spirit as the other TV series.

Is there a list of what to watch and what not to watch? Slayers is one of the few anime series/franchises that I've seriously considered watching in the last couple of years because of the near unanimous praise it gets (the other being Cowboy Bebop.) Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm fairly certain that the Goosebumps movie won't hold a candle to this episode from the radically rad 90's Ghostbusters toon.

I highly doubt that it could be th- :stare:

Honestly, that's more reminiscent of Clive Barker than R.L. Stine. What weirder, though is the stand-in for Stine shown in the news report looks more like Harlan Ellison.

• Locked thread