Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is like a dozen discussions ago, but it really is a shame that the Duke Nukem Forever that got released was a hodgepodge of the game as it existed as a contemporary shooter. Doom 4 got a lot of mileage out of metatextually being about Doom as a concept; a DNF that had been built from the ground up as being Duke 15 years later could have worked really well as a retelling of Demolition Man.

I said earlier that the problem with DNF is that it likes Duke too sincerely, but I don't think that's the real core of the problem. Because a nostalgia trip that's genuinely affectionate could have worked, Doom 4 is proof enough of that. Duke not being a punchline is not an unsalvageable take on the character.

The problem with Duke as a character in DNF is that he starts on top of the world, stays on top of the world, doesn't change one iota, and is never the butt of the joke. It could have worked if the whole thing was a joke about how antiquated Duke is, or how awful he is as a person, like something along the lines of Archer; or it could have worked if they'd played the character sincerely but made him fight his way back from irrelevance. Show everybody why Duke is the king, don't just keep asserting that he is. But DNF spends its entire runtime basking in unwarranted smugness, and it makes Duke completely unlikeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know how you could misread Kreia. Unless you're talking about Revan.

Kreia's ethos of "actually figure out what's the right thing to do, don't just do poo poo because it makes you feel like a good guy" is pretty easy to misread as "it's impossible to ever do anything good, only a sucker would try".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't think that would be it; the beggar scene is well over a dozen hours into even a speedy playthrough, and potentially over 75% of the way through the game if you do Nar Shadda last.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That is not a large juicer, that is a small woodchipper.

You bought a human disposal machine... That's gonna tell the internet you've been killing people :v:

It's not even that. It's not a juicer. It's the world's worst soda fountain. Even that makes it sound 100x better than it actually is. Like imagine if at a McDonalds, they just gave you a can of coke, and you put that into the soda fountain, and four minutes later you had coke in your cup. Also they charged you $8 for the can of coke.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Commence the shitflinging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BrKqEtG-2w

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

How the gently caress did I never notice that Mother's Basement and Spoony have literally the exact same voice?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

It's a shame the only people who seem to be making these kinda videos are complete shitlords, it'd be kinda interesting to watch a retrospective on the entire TGWTG/ Internet Reviewer thing. Y'know, provided it doesn't dive into a good old round of THE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER.

This is probably just an inherent problem. Talking retrospectively about internet critics is naturally going to lead to dramamongering, and only shitlords thrive on that. Decent people don't want to make 20 minute videos recounting Spoonygate.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It used to be that Left-Libertarians were functionally right-wingers who were okay with identity politics because they were so privileged that it just wasn't on their radar. Now it's on their radar because the right wingers they spent so long chumming it up with forced the issue, and because they always cared more about "economic" issues than identity politics, it's the latter they decided to boot once the right made them choose.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alaois posted:

remember Viddler

Remember Revver? God that feels like an eternity ago.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Eh, most of his "controversial" opinions line up with other sites. Like, thinking games like Modern Warfare 3, the DMC reboot, and Dead Rising 4 were decent (but not amazing) are all shared by other game sites. Likewise, thinking games like Vanquish and The Last Guardian were just average is par for the course. His only real outliers I can think of are giving BotW a good (not great) score, and liking the Dynasty Warriors games.

Modern Warfare 3 is the last good Call of Duty game, it's just that that was the precise year that critical opinion turned from "perennial GOTY contender" to "wow there have been a fuckload of CoD games"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Advanced Warfare's campaign is really sluggishly paced by CoD standards. The non-IW CoD games are all afflicted by guilt over being too short; where the Modern Warfare trilogy thrives on being a mile-a-minute thrillride that you can finish in two sittings.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

All CoD games suffer from not being DOOM or Wolfenstein.

Thanks Yahtzee

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I think he's saying that we're getting off-track and not really discussing internet critics.

Well since the last on-topic convo was set to be about a murder, I hope you'll forgive a little diversion.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've never hated Crystal Skull, but RLM hit the nail on the head when they said that the "it's the fifties so sci-fi" defense doesn't hold up because actual fifties scifi movies weren't remotely like that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If we're being real the problem with Crystal Skull was that it was made decades too late. Everybody involved should have known better. There was no scenario where a Spielberg directed Ford starring Indy film made in 2008 was going to turn out any good; even if the film we'd gotten was the best possible outcome, and it wasn't.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

I used to feel this way, but now I feel that while Temple of Doom has lower lows, it also has higher highs than Crystal Skull ever approaches. Nothing in Skull is as good as Doom's opening scene.

And, you know,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMubnxLRwDM

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

echopapa posted:

There were lots of them (Commando Cody, The Phantom Empire, and so forth), but they weren’t sci-fi in the way Crystal Skull was sci-fi: the aliens were just mad scientists and Fu Manchu-types who happened to be from Neptune instead of Earth.

Yeah. Inserting Ancient Alien themes into something supposed to be based on media from the 50's is incredibly anachronistic. It wasn't remotely on the pop cultural radar until Chariots of the Gods was published, and that was in 1968.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Wasn’t the Cthulhu Mythos already quite well-known before that?

Um, no. In the literary sci-fi sphere, sure, but that wasn't the kind of sci-fi that was being made into movies in the 50's. Or at any point in history, really. Lovecraft had pretty much zero popular awareness until the 21st century.

• Locked thread