Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not much into anime so I'm not especially familiar with Sage's reviews, but I did enjoy his video on the best Hot 100 number-one singles of all time. Hard to disagree with "Georgia On My Mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beatty killed his career at the end of the 1990s when he made that romantic comedy that ended up costing $80 million.

I've heard he's finally resolved the legal issues that were keeping him from making a Dick Tracy sequel the past 25 years or so, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange looking at Baywatch from the perspective of someone in 2015. It seems like it was such a big deal in its day, but now it's a relic of the 1990s. There's some series that, their quality or lack thereof notwithstanding, achieve a certain degree of timelessness even when they're products of their time (sticking to the 1990s, I'd put forward The X-Files, Seinfeld, possibly Friends, and even camp-fests like Xena: Warrior Princess), and then there's stuff that made an impact in its day and was a big deal at the time but doesn't seem to retain the same recognition or influence.

Sticking to the 1990s, you look at the series that were consistently nominated for all the big television awards, or had a fairly long run on the small screen. LA Law (which, if Wikipedia is any indication, seemed to dominate the Best Drama Series categories after Hill Street Blues wrapped up), thirtysomething, Picket Fences, NYPD Blue (12 seasons, and I'm pretty sure Dennis Franz must have at least as many awards for playing Sipowicz as James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston won for The Sopranos and Breaking Bad), possibly Homicide: Life On the Street, Chicago Hope, even ER (15 seasons).

Perhaps my reference pool is too small, but they just don't seem to have the same profile to me despite the impact they made.

It's like dropping a stone into a paddling pool; it might make a splash, but if it doesn't spill over the sides and get everywhere, people are less likely to remember it.

:spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not really been watching much of Todd's stuff lately. I have to admit, I've been less engaged with pop music as I would've been a couple of years ago. It's not that there aren't any songs I've enjoyed; it's more that my interests seem to have shifted slightly away from music and chart-watching.

A couple of years ago, when Adele had that massive, 10-week stretch at number one on the albums chart while Gotye and fun. had the number-one songs in America, was when I was really keeping up, going on Billboard and PopJustice almost daily, checking out Paul Grein's Chart Watch blog every week. I think part of why I lost interest was actually because Billboard changed its site layout and I never really got to grips with the new design.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

I never liked Maroon 5, myself, thought not for entirely rational reasons. Something about the tenor of Levine's voice literally makes me nauseous, it's like a dog whistle.

I have to agree. "Payphone" and "One More Night" were probably my least favourite hit songs of 2012, because I can't abide the timbre of Adam Levine's voice. Leaving aside the fact that they're both really dull songs, the noises he makes in the opening lines of "Payphone" especially are just flat-out unpleasant to listen to, and the Auto-Tuned yodelling at the start of the latter song isn't much better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:

It's tough to say. I'm not sure if Todd is sticking to the Year-End list or not; if he is, "Uptown Funk" will have missed the cut-off for it. If I recall correctly, the chart year ends about a month before the year's actually out. However, if he's taking a more expansive approach and picking songs that were released in 2014 then it might be in with a chance; I think he might have mentioned adopting this methodology either last year or the year before, after he put "gently caress You" as the number-one song of 2011 despite it being released in 2010 but I can't remember for certain.

Also, the a cappella bit in the middle eight (such as it is) of "Upton Funk" is lifted almost wholesale from "Oops Upside Your Head" by the Gap Band. Still, it's a fun song. Good guitar part from Ronson; nice horn section as well. It's definitely got a sort of Minneapolis flavour, I think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StealthArcher posted:

Now let me tell you about a YouTube celeb I found named pewdiepie....

Serious question: can anyone explain to me what the appeal of PewDiePie is?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Edit: And I don't mean that as a critic or judgement, I just think that his fans, who basically grew up on Web 2.0 can actually identify really well with him. I mean, can you think of a better embodiment of ' I can't even'?

If I've understood the term correctly, I'm fairly sure I grew up on Web 2.0 as well (the thing that got me into the Internet was joining Star Wars message boards in the summer of 2004 in anticipation of Revenge of the Sith; I was 13 then and I'm 23 now).

I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea. I just can't understand what's funny about it. I find that frustrating and I don't understand why. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

Also, FYI, Skinheads were music fans and alternate lifestyle types.

Traditionally inner-city working-class white guys who were fans of black music (if the liner notes on my deluxe edition of One Step Beyond are anything to go by) - soul music, reggae, ska and so on. A lot of the 2 Tone and Mod revival guys who became popular in the late 1970s (Madness, Bad Manners, the Specials etc) had been skinheads when they were kids in the 1960s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

I be happy to talk to someone on skype just to prove i am not lordkat or jimmy carter. I feel unrest that folks think i am lordkat, i am an rear end in a top hat but that not mush of an rear end in a top hat.

Hold on, what's that about Jimmy Carter?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an impression of Carter as a man who might have been a better senator than a governor. In any case, I've read more than one account suggesting that 1976 was a poisoned chalice whoever won it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Once I saw an article on some music site arguing that Ke$ha is a "genuine" version of Katy Perry. Not sure if I agree (mainly because I'm still not entirely sure what they meant), but I can sort of see where they were coming from.

I think Ke$ha is a better singer than Katy Perry, in any case, but that's probably not an entirely fair judgment. I'm sure Perry can sing well but personally, I've never been able to get past her terrible, terrible live covers of "Don't Stop Me Now". Blegh. Look them up on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

It's too bad about "Die Young". Could've been a much bigger song if it hadn't come out when it did (i.e. immediately before Sandy Hook).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see. I'm not an avid Katy Perry listener by any means. I wouldn't change channels if one of her songs came on the radio, but I don't go out of my way to buy her albums.

However, I can't imagine many people go to a Katy Perry show for the vocals. They go for the show. There's a lot of spectacle in them; I've not been to see her but they look like fun.

On that note, I think Alice Cooper has the right idea when he says Lady Gaga an Ke$ha and Katy Perry are all better rock stars than most contemporary rock artists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I honestly think Roar is one of the worst pop songs in the past 5 years. It's almost a parody of Firework.

The thing about "Roar" is it's just a dull song. Put a guitar on top of it and get a guy with a really beige voice to sing it, and it's basically a Nickelback tune.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Haha, he said that? I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

It's a couple of years old, but this was the first article I found. I know I've read similar comments from him in somewhat more detail (with a few more disparaging references to rock bands who dress like lumberjacks) elsewhere, as well.

In fact, I think I recall reading an article where Gene Simmons said basically the same thing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 2, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness. "Rapper's Delight" would be great to see too, because his video would probably be shorter than the song itself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

Not sure if that counts as a one hit wonder as they did nail two top 40 songs in the US and a bunch more in the UK.

Testekill posted:

You can't really justify Madness, sure Our House was their only song to chart in the US but they've had ten top five hits in the UK . It would be like doing Wonderwall by Oasis, it was their only hit in the US but they were megastars in the UK.

Sure, but in the past he's chosen bands based on their American rather than international profile. Dexys Midnight Runners, for instance, had several hits in the UK, including two number-ones and a couple that were hits after "Come On Eileen", but in America, it's just "Come On Eileen", and that's why they were on OHW.

To be honest, this seems rather like the inverse of the interminable "When is Todd going to do Jimi Hendrix?" stuff that I remember from the Channel Awesome forums; as I believe Todd has said before, the approach he uses is to cover bands who are known for one big song even if they had a couple of others which didn't make as much of an impact (e.g. Mr Big), not that they only had one song that charted.

Oasis are a difficult example, I suppose, because while "Wonderwall" was (as far as I'm aware) their only major Hot 100 hit, they did very well on the Modern Rock radio chart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the earliest Billboard was 1946.

Billboard started publishing charts measuring record sales in 1940 (beforehand, they published charts measuring sales of sheet music), though the Hot 100 wasn't introduced until 1958.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Speed Racer is one visually incredible film. The first time I saw the film I didn't much care for it besides the impeccable casting and visual effects but the second time around I really enjoyed it and each time I see it I like it even more.

I remember it came out and a bunch of grognards were all having a whinge about how they were furious that it wasn't the Speed Racer equivalent of The Dark Knight even though they deserved "edgier fare" (:qq:).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

Sure, there's a new Star Wars movie out at the end of the year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have absolutely no desire to see the movie, but (speaking of accents) I'm genuinely curious about what accent Jamie Dornan uses in it. I've only ever seen him in The Fall, where he can use his natural voice without any trouble.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 17, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The accents of Norn Iron aren't my favourite amongst the various British dialects. Still, when I visited America myself, a number of people told me they liked my accent (well, more people said it to my brother since his is a bit broader than mine; when we were in a Boys' Brigade company in East Belfast I was once asked why he sounds "normal" while I sound "posh"), so obviously there's some appeal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

I don't know, man. It doesn't seem like it would work. Now if they didn't have to obey the law and whenever they got in trouble, for whatever reason, and we were required to bail them out then I think that will lead to world peace almost immediately. And perhaps a golden age of humanity.

A Gilded Age, you say?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Help! It's the Care Bear Bunch!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Pearls of Lutra had a cool cover.

As I recall it, Pearls of Lutra is one of two books which had a "good" vermin character (Romsca, the guard captain, who helps the heroes and dies at the end). I was mad keen on the Redwall series when I was a kid, before the Edge Chronicles became my juvenile fantasy series of choice.

Darth Walrus posted:

Since Redwall has been brought up again, it is mandatory that someone posts this.

Haha, first thing I ever read on SA and still probably my favourite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, the Edge Chronicles really lose a lot of their charm when read as a series. Basically, every triumphant note and happy ending in any given book is immediately overruled by its sequel, to the point where it outright saps your investment. C'mon, dude, let the good things last sometimes. Make your characters' triumphs meaningful. It's not like it'll kill you.

Hbomberguy posted:

As children's stories the Edge Chronicles are fascinating. Every story ends with what resembles a 'they lived happily ever after' line, but the next picks up with things falling apart again - or a new character's trilogy starts and we get to see what ten/twenty years did to the old characters. Even if they fare well, they still eventually get old and die.

It's great. Rather than tell kids to go in search of happy endings, we're repeatedly shown how there basically aren't any, and at the end you die - and living forever is even worse. Instead it settles on doing what you think is right even if it kills you, because you are going to die anyway and it might as well count. The key section for me in the whole series is when an old Twig in the last ever sky ship decides, knowing full well the battle will destroy the ship by infecting it with stone-sickness even if they win, but he decides to do it anyway because he believes it is right. That's totally baller.

I like the pictures. :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infamous Sphere posted:

Much like how Matthias can do whatever the plot requires him, the animals are always the size that the plot requires them to be. It's amazingly inconsistent. Although I will note that Redwall is the first book of the series (even though chronologically it's somewhere in the middle), and it's the only book that has a horse in it. I think Brian Jacques realised that horses were just too amazingly out of scale to the rest of the story, and they were never mentioned again.

The first book had a few odd references to the real world; the horse and human-sized cart Cluny uses to transport his army, obviously, but I believe there's also a reference to how Cluny himself came from Portugal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

No gbs is better then this tumblr reject Thread. Hell this is the only thread that still give a poo poo about gg on the forum.

Well, where else are the Game Grumps likely to be discussed?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

You guys are over looking the biggest failing in getting the audience not to like Scar. He was voiced by Jeremy Irons. How is the audience ever going to like Jonathan Taylor Thomas/Matthew Broderick over Jeremy Irons? At least when it was James Earl Jones vs Jeremy Irons there was some goddamn gravitas in the conflict.

Jeremy Irons has since turned out to be kind of an rear end, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

True, but that doesn't mean he's less amazing as an actor.

Also true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've heard people talk about Libertarians, but I keep hearing different things. Who are they and what do they stand for?

Right-libertarians = Robert Nozick.

Left-libertarians = Um... Noam Chomsky?

At least nominally. That's how I've always thought of it, anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel as though I might like Maroon 5 songs if they had a different singer. "This Love" wasn't a bad song, nor was "She Will Be Loved" (though it was boring) nor "Misery".

But since "Moves Like Jagger" and (especially) "Payphone" I've found Adam Levine's voice on record to be genuinely unpleasant to listen to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

My favorite grey choices in KOTOR 2 are the Ithorian/Czerka and the Talia/Vaklu conflicts. General Vaklu is a very charismatic leader and a powerful ally to have, but unfortunately his second in command is in cahoots with the Sith. But Vaklu himself just wants what is best for Onderon and who can blame him? The Republic is falling apart and the planet is still recovering from the aftermath of two wars. Talia is the true leader, but she follows the word of the Jedi who haven't been making the best decisions lately and have a bad habit of bringing the life eating Nihilus down on them.

When I first played the game, my assumption was that Talia was right and Vaklu was wrong because that's how it was in the Tales of the Jedi comics, so the Holy EU Canon was on my side. :spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't dislike MoS, but I think I would have liked it better if it had been a bit less dour-looking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

I find that people over emphasize and inflate the amount of "grim dark" in Man of Steel. Especially in the fight between Clark and Zod in Metropolis.

Well, I was talking about the actual colours of it* moreso than the tone (if that's the right word to use). Sure, it was a bit "darker" than Superman movies traditionally are, but it was hardly, I don't know, Watchmen or anything. I'm not sure if I;d like it if Superman in the comics became MoS Superman all of a sudden, but don't think every portrayal of the character has to be the same.

*Honestly, the fact that some of the early photos for the next one alone show him in a slightly bluer suit is enough to make me optimistic about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Superman should have let Zod live at the end, see; maybe put him in the Kryptonian ship so his powers won't work or something. But then, in the sequel, Lex Luthor releases Zod, and this time Superman decides he made a mistake last time, so he kills Zod, which was all part of Luthor's plan to discredit Superman. Then Batman decides he needs to take him down. And that's the third movie.

I guess that probably would have been a darker direction to take it in. It's probably just as well I don't write the Superman movies. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

But product placement is kind of a weird thing where what bothers one person doesn't bother another.

I'm genuinely curious: have any Internet critics ever talked about product placement in reasonable depth?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PresidentBeard posted:

I'm guessing gamersgate will be taken seriously right about the same time we see people punished for stalking Chris-chan, as it's pretty much identical crimes and motives for the more elaborate stunts. The people mostly in it for sexism/"ethics in games journalism" seem to mostly stick to making angry youtube videos and shouting in comments, which isn't illegal, despite being appalling human beings.

Sure, I once went on the CWCki forums, where I learned that their second favourite target after CWC is SJWs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Linkara's terrible storyline are surprisingly popular and he is really into it.

I used to visit the Channel Awesome discussion forum, and I remember this one guy had a thread where he asked an open question about whether he could use the Nintendo Power Glove in the storylines for his reviews; apparently, Linkara had used one as a prop, and the fellow felt he ought to get permission. Of course, this prompted a few people to ask what he was reviewing, and his response was approximately, "Oh, I haven't decided yet, and I haven't made any videos, but I thought I should have all my storylines fleshed out before I worry about that." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

Ah. I don't get the reference.

I imagine it's referring to Thomas the Tank Engine.

• Locked thread