Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

DStecks posted:

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:

I somehow missed this since my involuntary radio exposure as of late has been limited to 'golden hits' kind of crap. Man, Bruno Mars is at his most tolerable when he's shamelessly ripping off the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The RLM derail might be boring and lovely, but it feels good to see 40+ new posts in this thread, none of which are about gamergate. :unsmith:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

NC's original appeal was that he was the first not completely obscure AVGN rip-off.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I saw the Ishtar trailer in a dream and am not sure how to feel about it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

He'll also become next HBomber's most wanted for his propensity for gay jokes (also some really dated AVGN copycat stuff).

IMO he ran out of content rather quick and the (mostly non-translated, I think) stuff that's not a part of his main show is really loving boring, but the introduction to Dendy and the saga of Mario is fascinating and very funny on the strength of the material.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Paladin posted:

Does anyone know if the success of Geek and Sundry's Tabletop has led to other critic like shows focused on board games? If there was a group of people I liked/tolerated that just played interesting board games I would totally keep it on as background noise while working.

Like, there was some youtube show called Board with Life that was about people who play board games and their ZANY LIFE and I was thinking, look, these actors seem like pleasant people capable of being funny, can they skip the fiction and just play games instead? I just checked and it looks like they realized this too and they have lots of gameplay videos recently posted.

The exception to that is, of course, James Rolfe.

Any other good shows of people just playing and reviewing board games?

They're all pretty much non-existent or horrible, afaik.

Spoony does board game reviews occasionally, but it's more weird old VHS boardgames etc., rather than current games.

Watch it Played is very instructional > entertainment, but there's nevertheless some actual play videos with great production values. It's also goon made!

Shut Up & Sit Down are some of the most popular reviewers right now and they do actual plays every once in a while (and try keep their consumer reviews entertaining). Try to skip to earlier videos Paul & Quinns made together, they're usually the best. However note that while these guys can be quite entertaining, take their actual critique with a pinch of salt - goons quite soured on lots of their dumb opinions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Kyle,

I just wanted to say I really appreciate the effort you put in spicing up the production values of your reviews. It's just cool to see your output always evolving for the better both in terms of content (maturing from the early days of trying to fit with the TGWTG mold) and that of visual quality.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Coinciding with the whole wrestling talk here, I was just sent this by a friend. I'd love to know if there's some story behind it, or is it just a singular incident of folks goofing around.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Gabry Ponte was one of the guys behind Blue.

The man is basically a walking meme among my friends. I mean, click this link, watch the video and then think it's a loving XVII century ballad for sad Scotsmen.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

How about we talk about gamersgate instead.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Please do not internet critic thread this thread up.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I can't believe these gamers control the fate of Middle East.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Professional wrestling is sports-themed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

No, just watch Rodriguez's Lucha Underground. And then stay for the rest of his channel, which is an unending torrent of old kung fu and monster flicks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

gently caress, Spoony's being possessed by the ghost of DarkSydePhil.

Which is especially fiendish cause afaik DSP isn't even dead yet.

His soul is.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

That's... Disappointing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

While I don't really expect it, I'd love it if Mike went all self-indulgent on this and kept confusing the movie with JJ Star Treks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The games also went out of their way to paint Larry as the ultimate loser, so I think it's mostly the case of racy dad jokes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tesla was the kind of guy that's insufferable in real life, but would make for a popular character in a TV show where his :spergin: can be made sexy and cool. Edison was indeed a grade-A rear end in a top hat, so it kinda slots into Internet's Nikola Cumberbatch fantasy.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Booga, are you Joss Whedon???

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Dunno, there's definitely instances of politically-charged content that you generally agree with, but find annoying nevertheless (e.g. because it's executed badly and preachy or whatever).

For example, internet critic thread gamergate derails.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

quote:

jokes about trans people are free speech [divinity original sin]

Oh, I think I missed this being a thing. Was it the bog-standard D&D gender-swapping belt shenanigans, or something more interesting?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Leal posted:

Well depending on where you live overtime happens after the eighth hour. Why pay 1 guy 2 hours of time and a half when you can split a 10 hour shift between 2 guys and save a collective hour of pay?

E: Really, the vast majority of companies would rather shoot themselves in the foot then to give anyone a dime of OT

Because half of the time overtime is an excuse to substitute paying for work with mobbing. If a company does pay for OT fair and square it means someone has already hosed the schedule on a project up and the situation is beyond talking about monetary efficiency.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 20, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

KKall posted:

Really well made critiques like this make me wish I could go back and rewrite that one Fallout video I did. Like the part where I used the "nuking megaton" storyline as an example of player responsibility. Ugh.

I fully admit that 1) since it's out of my normal mode I have no clue what marks a good from a bad RPG and 2) The primary reason that I enjoyed Fallout 3 wasn't due to the story or gameplay, but because I've spent most of my life in the Washington, D.C. area so seeing it as a glowing ruin really did it for me.

Speaking of rewriting KKall videos,

I keep wishing one day you'll revisit Primer. I felt this movie could get a really interesting BHH treatment, but was hurt by the early days of trying to fit the jokey Channel Awesome mold.

Sorry for this being such a drive-by snipe Kyle, I'm just spoiled by how awesome your work got later on!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

In the grim darkness of the XXI cenury, minecraft clones are art.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Most unchill.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

While I sorta agree the diversity thing in Force Awakens felt a bit calculated (:laffo: at pretending Phasma was an actual character in this movie), one thing I though was cool about it is that it avoided the gross simplification of non-white = black that happens a lot when people half-rear end this kind of discourse.

Also it's kind of funny how in tyool 2016 Finn is considered a triumph of diversity/fall of white man's civilization, when his actual role in the movie is 100% the occasionally-useful occasionally-comic relief buddy cop sidekick.

Tracula posted:

Also if you feel like checking out Reddit (don't do this) people are melting down because of BLACK PEOPLE BEING IN WORLD WAR ONE IN THE NEW BATTLEFIELD. THE HORROR OF IT ALL AND MUH HISTORICAL REALISM :reddit: :qq: :reddit:.

Admittedly, I'm really out of the loop with the battlefield hype, but wasn't :dice: actively trolling/baiting by choosing Germans of all featured armies to introduce the black guys?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Testekill posted:

Wrestling with Wregret has been doing an Animation month on the WWE crossovers with Warner Brothers. The first two movies weren't that good but the Curse of the Speed Demon (the second Scooby Doo crossover) was pretty great and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iso2aUnla2E

The two scooby doos are great to watch drunk. The Flintstones are... Just sad, really.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

i'm so tired of all these gamer gates

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

watho posted:

I like a lot of what RLM does, and think these videos have been pretty funny, but did their fanbase become 4chan?

It always has been. :(

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Basically it's something like that:

Sane people: cultural appropriation is a thing that exists, sadly often taking form that could rightfully cause offence. Let's discuss and list these mistakes to hopefully be more mindful in the future.
Example: this Indian-themed shirt may look nice, but I think it's kind of wrong to use someone's religious symbolism as mere designer aesthetic.

Internet people: cultural appropriation is hitler.
Example: holy gently caress did a white guy just buy tacos, let's tweet about it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

David Cage is the living embodiment of the stereotype of a man who's too much of a failure of being a movie director, so he tries to push his cinematic dreams into the world of video games, as it's the one medium that employed him.

The other side of the coin is that a lot of games are stupid dweebs who haven't read a single book outside their school years and so go crazy with praise over any game that has a storytelling or artsy ambitions, regardless of its actual quality.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure he knows and cannot stop laughing at the fact Monolith actually went with that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Extra Credits is a chipmunk man going 'hey, here's an interesting topic' and ending the video right after the introduction of what he's actually supposed to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PyyvgFLLI

Coincidence?????????

• Locked thread