Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

Jeez. Few months ago he was at 5k a month. Last I checked it was 4.5k and now hes nearly under 4k. I wonder what it's gonna take to light a fire under his rear end.

If losing around 12 thousand dollars a year for lazing about doesn't make him work nothing will. If he bothered to keep half his schedule promises he wouldn't be losing income this drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If there's one consolation a long while ago the site changed it's atrocious design to a facebook ripoff and is run by two new guys. So Captain Ahab is retired.

I really hope he doesn't die realizing what he has done and fostered, I wouldn't want that on anyone.

EDIT: I really miss the old tvtropes mock threads. They were just so much fun, learning how to write stories and poetry and so much more.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why not some obscure games too? Like hell I'd imagine having a few games that were featured on Board James and Shut Up and Sit Down would make it a bit interesting.

On the other hand I just want to see this project burn in an inevitable law suit.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I really can't imagine worse 'pay' for artists than 'we'll put a link on our dvd case to your stuff'.

For the more naive, anything is good enough for them. Everyone else though

"You expect me to make something good when you're offering me loose change like this?"

The managerial staff: ":v: Well yeah..."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My guess as to the still rediculously low price range is because Doug and many others for that matter are too used to the DeviantArt comission system where they pay technically higher rates to help support their title card artists. But when it comes to professionally done artwork, the really good kind, they're still mind of stuck in the mindset that the rates they give are somehow still good enough.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Actually that is something I would really like to know. A relative of mine has done commissions for a few gamers and I never really figured out how she should price things from now on.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Also the money should be something like this, something upfront to ensure the artist can eat and then like many others said negotiate from there with portfolio, interviews and all that junk. Actually how much of an artist was Doug? I only remember that he did freelance journalism before going full time comedy reviews.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

But that film is :mediocre: ?

Whoever made that and those who paid for it deserve to be put on a pedastal.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just couldn't stand the constant screaming and the yelling. They do it way too much and it undermines the idea that they're so stressed out that functioning as a crew simply isn't working out right now.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah it's all stuff I know already, long before other people told me. The world isn't a dichotomy and identifying by what you consume isn't healthy. I kind of got that through a sense of second hand shame then other people did that way too often.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly I would liketo see a guy orgal tackle scyfy Asylum films and cherry pick the most enjoyable ones. Mega Pirahna for instance or whatever it's called was hilarious as all hell. Like the time where the MC bicycle kicked the super pirahna. Or when the giant pirahna the size of a small building crash into a warehouse.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At least I can content with him and Film Brain's forays into Asylum. As an aside I still like Film Brain, I'm kind of sad that he prefers to make more projector videos than full video reviews.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I know this is kind of random. I know that this thread while not full of extremists, for the most part don't like the blanket "truth is in the middle" term. It got me thinking, are there any videos where the reviewer explains why that line of thinking has flaws?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think there is someone who reviews informal fallacies, and if so, they are probably obnoxious and terrible.

Sorry I also meant situations where the reviewer sees a claim for middle ground in a piece of media where it doesn't work and explains why it doesn't work there.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why do we still care about him? It's apparent that he brings only bile and has for a long while.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

He now has 3900 a month. 46.8k a year now. Yay I now can safely say that he'll never bother to improve nor clean up his act. Washed up indeed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The story has his own support network. The story has a living wage from doing essentially nothing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rock bottom is him pulling the site plug, losing the living wage from his Patreon, and getting a job with a boss.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Final Fantasy games peaked at the time when I, personally, was most susceptible to dumb anime plots.

There, I just saved you a lot of time.

The MMOs were strange in many aspects. Particularly 11 when it could be summarized as "hard to figure out mathematically, but simple in how much the dev hates players".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a good modern Final Fantasy, go get The Last Story on the Wii*. It's made by the original creator of Final Fantasy.

*Or wair for it to turn up on the WiiU eShop.

I have heard of it, in fact I've been watching the Let's Play on the forums. I do hope to play it one way or another, simply because the combat looks nice and the characters seem to be people I'd hang out with. That and I can basically make everyone look like JoJo characters.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rodyle posted:

You will never be the fashion god that is Pork Lift though

Stop reminding me :saddowns:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's going to be an average film that fails to capture the original's feel, and the trailer summarizes all the limited good parts, isn't it? I hope I'm wrong, I want it to be a solid movie. Yes I am going to get the Last Story, once I have the means to do so. I also hope for the sequel, the Conclusive Story and the spinoff the Terminal Tale.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 11, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

There is even a better one that is :perfect:

Well this Dan from Chez Apocalypse's one tweet review
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/608825190231834624
Basically from what I've heard the last 20 minutes are going to either make you love everything or hate it since its so goddamn stupid

I've waited 12 years for this movie and drat it I'm going to enjoy it because at least the plot isn't as dumb as the dinosaur human hybrid mercs they had in that script on 2006

I thought you said mecs. Great now I can't stop thinking Jurassic world is going to have a giant robot finale with the gene modded dino becoming huge.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm sort of looking forward to the trainwreck that is the new Terminator movie, if only to hear what people have to say about that one.

I expect at least five Revengeance memes.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I know but still the end product. Most of the time I think people wouldn't mind cgi if the lighting wasn't so off or being the center of attention.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Remember when we all said that we wanted Doug as he is, not with his gimmick? Well I guess the eggs are on all our faces now :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

Have we ever determined if Doug is fond of trains?

He didn't like Thomas the Tank Engine on concept so I don't think so.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At first I was okay with the statement in the fact that the bayformers films do not succeed in being family films. Then after yeah, Grimdark RIP AND TEAR. Just a basic phenomenon where some want their stuff to be edgy to fit in with their changing tastes.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

Except Hbomberguy toxxed himself out of the thread.

For better or for worse. His arguments with everyone did spice things up when the stream of reviews were but at trickle.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Neither Doug or Rob understand visual storytelling or the art of film. It's obvious when you see their films like To Boldly Flee, but for how long they have been in the reviewing game, you';d think they would have picked something up, at least by accident.

I think their overexposure to bad movies with bad dialogue and audio storytelling pretty much blinded their perception to visual storytelling. Visual metaphors, things that don't need to be said? What's that? Then again nonverbal communication is not often used in mainstream films so there you go. Take the fury road thing, Mad Max being replaceable is kind of the point.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Then again he did pick up the stylistic clash of A.I. but on the other hand everyone picked that up. Now I'm reminded of the fact that Old v. New and top 11 gently caress ups haven't been made in years. Though I'd figure for plenty of reasons the later is not ever going to made.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do agree that I do want the crafting system to have other things too for role playing reasons. But to be honest I am WAY more interested in XCOM 2 and their mechanics to care that much about Fallout 4.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Can someone explain what it is? I refuse to look at Doug's face if I can help it.

Can't blame you. Fourty minutes of people shouting at a mock bid for capcom. All jokes are covered up by more bidding. What could've been an interesting way to introduce and popularize the new blood ended up being a bloated mess that was way too long. That apparently took weeks. Actual weeks of people's time and effort to film, edit and write this poo poo. Oh the comments only have a few posts about the abysmal quality of the video, everyone else is too busy wanking on about how they'd reform Capcom.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 17, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard the name Doctor Holocaust somewhere before, but I can't remember. I'm going to sleep and maybe I'll remember in the morning.

Read the bio, "too sweet hearted". If you name yourself after systemic genocide with that mock bio I have every right to judge you.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh so this is going to end with whatever gaggle of confused nerds are currently rampaging deciding he's become an agent of the Sarkeesian cultural marxists?

Speaking of which, how much self serving vindication was there when her tweets concerning E3 came up? Like I disagree with some of them on the basis that violence is not mainly a masculine thing, but I don't think they do anything to harm her goals.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

As far as Yahtzee's toothlessness goes...well gee, look at who pays his wages, lol.

Really, it's a bit sad how irrelevant he's become tbh. My main thought whenever a Zero Punctuation vid comes down the pike is "Why in the poo poo are you STILL churning out poo poo exclusively for the Escapist, dude?".

Because he's their only main source of income. Their youtube channel is just him and everyone else on their site is who tier. Plus there is the loyalty thing since he got to his position by the Escapist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I've been watching it on and off and more often from habit than enjoyment at this point. In other news the Channel Awesome bidding war comment section on Youtube is now not entirely derp.

By that I mean even they think that video was poo poo and a waste of time and money.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To be honest the first time I saw him was his Sim City video. I first found him a little arrogant but once I got past the facade I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his talking points.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

They don't do reviews but I like Extra Credits. They more talk about game design theories and how certain aspects of the industry work.

Just don't mention Red 5 and Firefall. Seriously though their extra funds project was a complete bust, and fell to the wayside without even a murmur.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The worst part was watching those videos where they twist the situation to make EC sound like they were just as wrong, as wrong as the guys trying to take money from an artist's surgery fund when they haven't paid their people. Granted the videos claimed that ad revenue went down a boatload during the time of the EC fundraiser, but I highly doubt that claim.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 24, 2015

• Locked thread