Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Great OP man, looking forward to chatting with our local SA critics and discussing their reviews hopefully with slightly less drama, I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like Sage's anime reviews since it's a nice look back on the 80s and early 2000 shows I've never seen before. Some reviews are hit or miss, but I always find myself chuckling at something. It's good that he at least explains his opinions and goes in depth about certain topics. He knows his stuff.

The fact that the first two Fatal Fury movies being the best fighting game animes made me laugh a lot especially after the other fighting game shows he reviewed. I have a soft spot in my heart for Fatal Fury.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

That 80s style opening made me very happy. I'm gonna keep watching your content for sure!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Missed a letter there...

But seriously, you said you'd back off from this thread and you can't even do that when it's clear you need to.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rebochan posted:

Huh, 160 new posts since last time I checked? Man, I wonder what...

:smithicide:

I guess the thread title should be changed since it's certainly not 0 days.

Although I guess it's not much of a bomb as it is a very stinky fart.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nthing about Ke$ha she is great and I love her dumb party songs because at least they're genuinely energetic and fun.

Glad to see Rather Be on Todd's list because it is also a fun dance song and it's a better feel good song than most of the ones that were made in the past year.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 2, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've listened to Katy Perry live before, she can't sing. I love some of Katy's songs, but seriously she cannot deliver.

Here's a song of Ke$ha's I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUEbovdM1E

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Wow, that's cool for her.

And good, none of those nerds needed to wear those hats while they're inside their basements anyways.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mraagvpeine posted:

How do you feel about Bennett the Sage?

Sometimes his opinions feel fairly skewed (see NGE and Grave of the Fireflies), but at the very least he explains himself and his contextualizing of certain topics is at least entertaining. A lot of the anime he reviews is stuff I've never/probably don't want to watch, so I think that's what makes it fun and helps bring to light some anime from the 80s-00's that would have gotten lost over time due to new stuff coming out every year that follows new trends.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The banning didn't teach much I see.

On the topic of reviewers, it's already been said, but Doug says dumb things and I do think he should know better, but meh. I don't feel the need to invest much into his moral failings especially when I'm more interested in some of the technical failings of his reviews.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, it never occurred to me how messed up the Redwall series was. I enjoyed them as a kid, but my actual problem with the series was that the plot of every book was basically the goddamn same thing.

I stayed for the made up recipes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Huh.

Guess I'll go watch Kyle's newest video in the meanwhile.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
At first I took internet critics too seriously before I learned to step back and actually make my own opinion about things. Now I like watching people who review stuff I wouldn't be able to acquire/not necessarily interested in getting into, such as Oancitizen and Allison's videos. Also yeah, background noise while I do arts and crafts.

I don't know, there's something weird about writing fanfiction about people who post RIGHT HERE or someone you can see/contact on Twitter easily.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My favorite quote from Alan Moore:

quote:

" I wanted to … make [Rorschach] as like, ‘this is what Batman would be in the real world’. But I have forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans, ‘smelling’, ‘not having a girlfriend’, these are actually kind of heroic! So Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I made him to be a bad example. But I have people come up to me in the street and saying: ‘I AM Rorschach. That is MY story’. And I’d be thinking: ‘Yeah, great. Could you just, like, keep away from me, never come anywhere near me again as long as I live?’"

-Alan Moore

When the crazy hobo comic writer tells you to stay away from him, you've got a winner. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Silly as it sounds, The Fisherman does sound like an appropriate name for a serial killer. What are fishermen, if not serial killer of fish?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For what it's worth, despite how shoddy some of Bioshock's themes and ideas turned out to be, it was a game that let me throw bees at people, it's okay in my book.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

OldTennisCourt posted:

Talking about Todd reminded me that a day I thought would never arrive has happened: I really really really like a new Maroon 5 song. Sugar is kinda great :negative:

I feel you there buddy, I like Sugar too. :negative:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

I read through the comments and I laughed at how many were concerned about skull custody.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

Are they seriously talking about a new show? Don't they already have like two shows outside of the game show that they haven't even produced yet?

Also new Baywatching:
http://phelous.com/2015/03/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-money-honey/
Mitch becomes an action star!

Yesss, I needed more Eddie Emasculation to make this day complete.

edit: Goddammit Eddie, get a new tongue, tofu and eel are perfectly delicious foods!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Max Wilco posted:

I never watched the Sailor Moon review he did, but I thought that the response to the episode was pretty negative, and people said he didn't get the show. What was the issue he had with it?

From what I remembered (I clicked out of that episode REAL FAST) the approach he made the NC character take was pretty immature and lacked some vital context towards the show which is why there were people who said he "didn't get it." For instance, there was this whole bit making a joke out of the transformation scenes which was... really tasteless.

edit: Basically, I didn't get the impression that much research went into "reviewing" Sailor Moon since all he was basing it on was the old dub.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 7, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Leal posted:

There was also that part where he suddenly goes on about the consent laws of Japan and how the law only covers penis in vagina intercourse and not non piv and its was just really loving weird. Child sex exploitation is horrible, but is your review of a 90's anime really the place to talk about it?

EDIT: Oh and it is jarring when he goes on about that then says Sabrina is slutty several times through the review.

The dub name is Serena Yeah, basically it was a stupidly misogynistic and hypocritical review and it left a bad taste. Sailor Moon is so much more interesting in terms of how popular it is internationally and how it really was kind of a great show for girls (like c'mon, the Scouts are literally having to save the galaxy and the very fabric of reality, good god that's awesome). The original series will always have a special place in my heart.

Jay O posted:

Pretty much! I like Brad, he's a swell dude. :) Unlike many TGWTG bros, he does not take himself seriously. Self-aware, chill guy.

Whenever people talk about Brad, it makes me wanna meet him and say hi. His reviews have always made me laugh considering the insane material he sits through, especially the Endless Love one.

Also seconding the watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works anime. I wouldn't necessarily go in for deep plot because it's hilariously pretentious and shoddy (I love it regardless), but second season next month is airing and I am so ready for the action. :getin:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It kind of ties back to Cheapskate's video about how die hard fans, back then and now, kind of forget to separate what's fake and real since they're listening/watching someone who appeals to them in terms of ideas/opinions. With the age of the internet, it's worse since people can find info really quickly on the person they want to bombard with bullshit just because their favorite internet person or whatever said something that spurs them into action.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Somewhat of a confession, the NC and Nostalgia Chick crossover review of Ferngully made me convince myself that the movie was poo poo and I was such a child for ever watching it because these two people on the internet said so and validated my mild dislike of the film. Now, I still dislike it, but it isn't vitriolic. Tim Curry as the toxic smoke guy can do no wrong...

I would like to think that presently, I try to just to enjoy whatever I find entertaining while still being able to understand other viewpoints on said entertainment; both good and bad. Basically, I had to learn how to form my own opinions or at least seek out internet critics that taught me something new instead of validating my flawed ideas. :shobon:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have developed the ability to glaze over Hbomb posts now, it's been quite useful.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
His posts are bad, but his videos about worse people are okay.

edit; That loving skull!!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 14, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ishtar sounds like a movie I would like to watch and immediately regret afterwards.

I need to watch better movies.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The Wrong Turn reviews always give me a good laugh.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh cool, MST3K talk, I'm down.

I feel like I'm some kind of weirdo because everyone talks about how High School Big Shot is the most depressing MST episode. And, well, it is, but it's the one that makes me laugh a lot and it's one of my favorite eps. Schadenfreude much?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DoombatINC posted:

Red Zone Cuba is actually one of my top ten favorite episodes, but then again, Castle of Fu-Manchu, Monster A-Go-Go and the entire Coleman Francis trilogy used to be in my regular rotation, so my tastes are all clearly out of whack

I have yet to figure out what Red Zone Cuba is even about even after multiple viewings and listens. Monster A-Go-Go is the one episode I absolutely cannot get through.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Leech Woman, The Screaming Skull, and Agent from H.A.R.M. are repeat watches for me.

And now I must torture monkeys.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

I agree that season 1 is pretty unwatchable. Since it's improvised there's also lots of dead air, so it barely feels like you're watching a riff at all.

As for more good ones, Horrors of Spider Island always kills me. I'm more selective with the black and white movies, but that one's great.

Oh man, that's also another one I love. It's so stupidly sleazy and spider.. wolf thing... was the best.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My first MST episode was a Mike one and it was The Brain That Wouldn't Die. I'm fairly fond of it because that's basically when the show came into my life where I was stressing over school and when I sat down to do work, marathoning the eps really helped pull me through.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That sounds like Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I thought this thread wouldn't necessarily talk about lovely people's personal lives even if they are lovely and also I miss MST3K chat.

I should rewatch some of Lupa's old Cynthia Rothrock movie reviews instead.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Under the vegetable posted:

Lars Von Trier should do the live action Evangelion adaptation :q:

And have it be a hard R.

Michael Bay would be too obvious huh.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Jay O posted:

All I'ma say about Evangelion is that it officially joined the ranks of speculative future sci fi that now takes place in the past this year. THIRD IMPACT IS COMING, Y'ALL. :stonk:

Hopefully I can survive long enough to get into the goddamn robot.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DStecks posted:

Souls games discussion is always the worst derail.

If there's one thing I ever learned, it's that you're always doing it wrong.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For all the rightful criticism CA deserves in light of what's happened in the past few months, LordKat's input is the last kind anyone should take.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The artist for Elfen Lied also worked on a sports manga called Nononono.

To no one's surprise, it's very nononononononono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In Attack on Titan, there's actually quite a lot to the characters in terms of motivation and personality and how their relationships with one another works. It's kind of important since there is an emphasis on teamwork to take down man eating titan assholes. It's never a one man show even though there's a clear main character. And unlike other series with huge casts (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece), its huge cast doesn't feel overly bloated. That being said, those qualities doesn't mean that it guarantees likeability.

Speaking of animes to recommend, I wonder how anyone ever gets anyone else to watch Gintama. It's amazing in the stupidest ways possible, but to explain the depth of it's insanity is kind of hard...

• Locked thread