Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KKall posted:

Il Neige covered it. http://blip.tv/what-we-had-to-watch/what-we-had-to-watch-eragon-5539889

He's one of the newer guys on Channel Awesome. I think he has excellent screen presence. He also played "Michael Bay" in that musical episode I did.

I actually found that shortly after I posted that. You're right, he does seem like a pretty cool guy. Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to check out more of his stuff it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wasn't going to post this because I don't think either Aurini or Owen deserve even the time it takes to mock them, but We Hunted The Mammoth did a pretty good take down of the fruit of Aurini's slimy con job: http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/...aurini-version/

Cyron posted:

Brad talked about this at a co, he was stoned in the whole filming and it seem like he was trying to not be called back for another filming. he also said he was meant to be doing this back when him and Jillian was still married so even before the same show was announced round demo reel.

Brad literally summed it up as "Hey, everyone should have at least one Battlefield Earth on their résumé". If that wasn't a clear enough sign to Doug to never try making it again, when one of your closest professional colleagues says THAT, and you still take another crack at it then he must really be loving dense.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 15, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who's going to save and archive all the videos of their favorite people should that happen. I can't even begin to imagine how big a job that would be for someone with a long history, like Brad.

It shouldn't be that hard, really. If you have a downloader like FlashGot or DownloadThemAll on your browser then really its just a matter of how long it'll take to download everything at the highest salvageable quality/format.

Also, Blip's been in the process of shutting down forever for like three years now yet its still here, so I'll believe it when I see it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

That's not including the episodes they promised for the video game related game show they also promised. Or the episodes of the comic show they also promised.

At what point does just biting the bullet and offering a complete refund to all their backers become the smarter/easier option? Because I think we're looking at it on the horizon in the rear view mirror.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think there must be a special kind of career graveyard for actors whose first starring role was in a failed fantasy/sci fi YA adaptation. I just looked up the guy who starred in Dungeons and Dragons and he didn't exactly...rise to stratospheric heights in Hollywood.
Mind you, Ed Speelers might do OK. He was a fairly prominent character in season 3 of Downton Abbey, and so now he's probably more associated with that than he is with Eragon.

All four of the young main actors who were in it seem like they've emerged from the hole it put them in career-wise. Chris Egan was great on Kings opposite Ian McShane before NBC murdered it and is now starring in Dominion. Sienna Guillroy's had steady work on TV and the Resident Evil movies as Jill Valentine. And Garret Hedlund's done some decently high profile movies lately too like Tron: Legacy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

SFDebris update. His show will continue, just anywhere but Youtube. He's looking into options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icyb91mf1JI

Poor bastard sound distraught, I don't blame him.

The poor guy can't catch a break. :(

I'd say something along the lines of "maybe Doug and Rob should have taken that $90k in lovely gameshow donations and funded a private video hosting service with it," but I know full well it would have been a catastrophe of misspending, mismanagement, and corruption of a FIFA scale to make me immediately regret thinking of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

At this point I kinda do want the super hero movie bubble to pop

EDIT: They are joking about all those Star Wars spinoffs, right?

...Kinda? Since Episode VII was announced I've heard about Rogue One, a Han Solo and/or Boba Fett stand alone movie, a Yoda movie, an Obi-Wan movie, an anthology movie, and the feverish dream of someone actually making Shadows of the Empire into its own film like Lucas wanted to do but didn't have the time or money to in the run up to the prequels.

So far though, only Rogue One is definitely happening. The others are just possible ideas as Disney mulls over making essentially the Star Wars cinematic universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I'm holding out for a Dash Rendar movie,myself. I mean,look at this magnificent specimen:

Well, Disney acknowledges the Outrider ship itself as part of the new Star Wars canon. There wasn't any mention of Dash himself though.

Though if you know anything about Shadows of the Empire itself, Dash being reduced to an also ran footnote in or just outright redacted from the broader Star Wars canon is hilariously appropriate to his character.

What I wonder is though, who would play Dash in a hypothetical Shadows movie or standalone film? Mid 90's Kurt Russell was the perfect choice, as seen in the portrait above, but we're 20 years out from that now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

Stephen Amell.

YEEEEES :fap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

I throw in street fighter, just for the M. Bison and French guile.

I've said this a few times here and there, but Street Fighter is one of those films I can easily forgive for being bad simply because everyone involved looks like they're having a massive amount of fun with it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jack Black is in some dumb movies, but he himself is a likable screen presence, at least to me. I haven't seen Sandler be likable in years.

I think the only movie I've seen where Jack Black plays a wholly unlikable character is King Kong, and that's because he's meant to be a wholly unlikable unrepentant asswipe by design. To the point where it's actually one of King Kong's numerous flaws because you simply should not cast a man with Jack Black's charisma and likeability as that kind of an unscrupulous shitheel character.

Hell, I'd argue Jack Black is probably at his most likable and human level when playing Po from Kung Fu Panda, ironically. So Jack Black can go and make all the lovely Guilliver's Travels and Shallow Hals he wants if he keeps being amazing in stuff like KFP, Drunk History, and Tenacious D because he is a legit cool dude.

Meanwhile, every character I've seen Adam Sandler play in a film since like at least The Longest Yard has been some kind of repellent, barely-contained misanthropic rear end in a top hat. Like, it almost makes me question why I like Happy Gilmore so much, seeing as how Happy is the prototypical Adam Sandler rear end in a top hat protagonist, but then I remember that Happy has likable qualities to balance out prickly misanthropic rage at the people around him; he's a down on his luck schlub with a lovely job who lives in a lovely apartment, he can't do the thing he loves to do any more (play hockey), so he sucks it up and applies himself to doing something he's also strangely good at but doesn't necessarily like, he does it for noble, selfless reasons, and ultimately wins because he applies the knowledge he gains to overcome the obstacles in is way... quite literally.

The weird part is, Sandler seems completely aware of all the criticisms leveled at him, his movies, and the characters he plays/writes, if his skit with Bob Barker on this year's Night of Too Many Stars is any indication.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Correct. Pixels looks like it has a budget.

Yeah, that was always my impression of it. "Oh, so this is what a big budget Happy Madison movie would look like... still a piece of poo poo."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

maybe making fat suits is expensive? or sandler really wanted that suite in the cruse ship parts of the film was taking place.

I think Sony's tepidly putting their foot down and starting to reign him in. One of the more prominent emails to come out of the 2014 Sony hack was Sony Pictures' former president herself straight up asking how the hell Sandler gets away with getting so much money from their studio and turns in such cheap looking, objectively terrible films, lending legitimate credence to Red Letter Media's pet theory.

That said, take comfort, friends, as Pixels is officially Adam Sandler's lowest grossing box office opening ever, so maybe people really are finally waking up and getting the message. :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Holy gently caress. That website. About the Movie: "In this movie you will hear from the following: Phil Mason aka Thunderf00t... Name... Jack Thompson... Name... Karen Straughan (who appears to be three people)... And more!"

For a man obsessed with being taken seriously by other people, Davis Aurini really loving sucks at acting like a professional adult.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

And just look at all these articles:

Ariticles - The Sarkeesian Effect
http://www.sarkeesianeffect.com/ariticles.html

I never knew they had such an interest in solar roadways. How much money did they take in, again?

Well, of course. I mean Anita Sarkeesian first came to prominence thanks to her series of videos examining the portrayal of and tropes associated with solar roadways in video games.

Also, holy gently caress "to be changed" just right there beside the article title in full on red text. Did whoever (or whatever, if Owen and/or Aurni Aurini are to be believed) coded this site not know about HTML comment tags?

At this point that HELP US page on the site map seems less like a crowdsourcing appeal and more like the protracted wail of the damned crying out "HELP US! SOMEONE PLEASE HEEEEEEELP UUUUUUUUS!!! :byodood:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Goddammit, and I just put this thread back on my bookmarks too. Oh well, so long gold star, you made it 48 hours, so I guess that's something :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, in a movie like Space Cop those details are all part of the joke?

Seeing as how rail-thin Len Kabasinski is Rich Evans' stunt double for certain fight scenes in Space Cop, I'm pretty sure a hilarious lack of continuity for the film is feature, not a bug.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HHammond posted:

I've been looking for a video game show along the lines of Brows Held High or Folding Ideas (which does delve into video games occasionally) but focused on video games but I haven't really found much. I know Errant Signal is sort of doing this but from what I've seen it's not quite what I mean. I've been vaguely considering doing my own series which looks at video games from a more literary perspective but wanted to see what else is out there before I really got going.

In less vague terms: any recommendations for online series that analyse video games in more depth than the norm except Errant Signal, Extra Credits and MrBTongue?

While not nessecarily about games explicitly, Innuendo Studios is starting to do some really great examinations of gaming culture and psychology.

His first big series is Why Are You So Angry?, an examination of how the objectively vile core of the Gamergate movement was able to so effectively cloak itself in a vanir of legitimacy by deftly manipulating and then shielding itself behind "Angry Jack" by looking at the causes of and reasons behind "Jack"'s anger over women in gaming culture.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The men are space pawns!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

He made like a 20 minute video on unopening a video game box, and it was still unopened when the video ended

Wow, I didn't know that "A day in the life of DSP" video slowbeef and co. made was actually a docudrama.

Unboxing videos are inherently bullshit and dumb, but you have to be a special kind of dumb to not even open the box in the video.

...How does Phil even know how to breathe?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jsor posted:

Y'know, now that you mention it, are we sure Davis Aurini isn't in charge of the Brotherhood of Nod?

Nah, Kane is an objectively better human being than Davis Aurini by every possible metric.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, didn't a couple of their earlier episodes have to be re-edited recently?

For Best of the Worst? Not to my knowledge. There was one episode that had to be reuploaded because most of the video was corrupted in editing, but that's the only issue I recall them having with BotW. I think there's been some copyright claims made against Half in the Bag episodes though because they used trailer clips in lieu of actual movie footage, however.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chromatic posted:

I'm only 10 minutes in and truth be told I kind of like this even though Thunderfoot is bad and not good.

I remember when gamergate was picking up steam and I had no idea what was going on so someone recommended me Thunderfoot as "He usually has a good take on things". So I go to his youtube page and the first video I see is "Why feminism poisons everything" and noped the gently caress out of there real quick.

Where is Hbomberguy to do another one to conclude the Owen/Aurini story? We're waiting. :colbert:

Yeah, no it takes a hard right turn into directly attacking Anita Sarkeesian around the 15 minute mark. Up till that point it's actually a fairly decent takedown of what giant, unprofessional, delusional, and borderline dangerous manchildren both Aurini and Owen are.

Though once it hits the pivot point, you realize that, oh, wait, Thunderf00t is also an unprofessional, misinformed, borderline dangerous manchild. He doesn't disagree with anything they're saying, he's just pissed that they're making people like him look bad by publicly sucking at what they do so much.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 23, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chromatic posted:

I think it was because Jordan always came across as dumb and misguided but was never that malicious. Aurini comes across as an evil end boss from a late 80's NES game. I've only seen a limited amount of these two so I could be wrong.

I honestly felt bad for Owen after Aurini spilled the beans that he was suffering from an anxiety disorder and was on serious medication for it.

Pretty much everything I've seen of either of them comes from folks like Hbomberguy and the like just using their own quotes against them, so I don't know if Owen has said anything gobsmackingly gross like Aurini does on a daily basis.

And from the limited amount I've seen (and ever want to see of them), Owen's just a dirty, awkward nerd who doesn't like ladies and can only seem to interact with them in strictly controlled environments ("My favorite stripper down at Tattletails..."), while Aurini seems like a genuinely vicious, vile man with a lot of issues ("I'm a White Nationalist on paper").

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And yet I can see it happening anyway because when it comes to the internet, the general public has a remarkable lack of foresight/hindsight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

(you're talking about the reveal of Chris-Chan's metre-long penis, right?)

Well, I just spent ten minutes physically screaming over half that video thanks to learning about Chris's "natural recipe".

Thanks DStecks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

"[Anita Sarkeesian] has learned to smile like a white person."

I stand corrected...

This on the other hand, just... No words, they should have sent a poet critic :golfclap:

Never leave us, Kyle. Ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Whatever happened to Lindsey in the last few years anyway? I've been out of the loop on CA and That Guy for a while. Did she end up leaving?

She drifted away from her Nostalgia Chick persona and eventually just started doing reviews as herself with an eye towards subjecting films to actual captal-C Criticism instead of being the "Female Doug" gimmick the CA brass wanted her to be. About a year and a half or so ago she broke off from CA and set up Chez Apocalypse, taking a chunk of the popular CA talent with her (Kyle, Rantsmo, Folding Ideas, Paw, Maven & Nella, Todd, what have you). She also got a few jobs in "Traditional" media, including some brief voice acting work on Pokemon. Yep.

Now she's one of The Mary Sue's two film reviewers, the other one being Lesley Coffin, who just going by most of the headlines she writes for her reviews, seems to despise all forms of popular cinema on a level that would make even Mike Stoklasa blush.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 29, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

I believe the main role was editing Pokemon.

I'd heard that too, though IMDB only seems to list an acting credit for it. So, take that bit with a grain of salt. At the very least, she did something related to the Pokemon anime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm pretty sure the voice acting union (or are there more?) is a reason.

And most major voice work comes part and parcel with Non-Disclosure Agreements these days. Even for established properties. If you physically talk about anything the production company doesn't want you to in a public venue, you're dead meat, basically.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If anything, I'm retroactively astounded that Chronicle turned out as well as it did, seeing as how both Max Landis and Josh Trank have turned out to be massive raging, combative assholes. You'd think the film would have destroyed itself being caught between the two of them, but no...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has CA just turned into an experiment in seeing how many people they can churn through and fire hilariously? I'm kinda conflicted seeing Brad Jones and MarzGurl still on there, even though I never really followed them much my understanding was that they were decent people. You gotta pay the bills I guess.

e: Linkara seems cool too. I actually liked this site back in the glory days.

With Brad, it's not so bad. He's got his own site where he mirrors his stuff at, and all his videos are hosted on YouTube now. Same with Linkara and a few others. So you can pretty much bypass CA entirely for a lot of the good talent that's still on there. I just use it as a reference point to check what new stuff has been uploaded then go watch it on Brad, or Chuck, or Nash's actual site rather than give Michaud and the Walkers any more sweet sweet click dollars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I somehow landed on the Cinema Snob twitter account, and in doing so I discovered my new favorite thing: Brad's amazing poo poo-eating grin selfies in front of religious movie posters. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised he did X-Wing since most people prefer Tie Fighter and the former is somewhat forgotten now.

X-Wing is largely forgotten about vis-a-vis TIE Fighter because TIE Fighter was a vastly superior game. And this isn't me being glib, TIE Fighter took everything X-Wing started with and improved upon it immensely. Plus there was something unique at the time about a Star Wars game that actually let you play as the Empire, rather than fighting against them, so it's a very big nostalgia piece.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Brad gets pretty tiresome about Tree of Life anything Terrence Malick's ever done too. Thankfully he's finally stopped.

Fixed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

On a side note, is "Syncedoche" really that hard to pronounce?

"Sin-eck-doe-key". Not hard to pronounce, just hard to take it from it's written form to it's spoken form properly without having heard it yourself first because it's like 75% syllables that have multiple, wildly different pronunciations.

NOTE: I haven't watched the video so I have no idea how he pronounces it. Nor do I care how he does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I don't think you were actually supposed to root for the Gekkostate until the very end when Holland and Talho finally grew the gently caress up and pulled their heads out of their asses. Up til that point, E7 was practically laying across the "THESE ARE A BUNCH OF TERRIBLE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOMINAL HEROES AT BEST" button.

It kind of culminates early on when Charles and Ray try to relentlessly murder the Gekkostate and you actually kind of wind up rooting for them because they are objectively better people, all things considered, than Holland and co.

As for 24, I was actually surprised last year when Jack just up and threw Michelle Fairley's character out a window for no reason other than spite. I wasn't surprised that it happened, or that it happened so abruptly, I was surprised that I actually burst out laughing when it did. Because after all that had led up to that moment, that right there felt like the moment the show finally lifted the mask and winked at the audience to let them know without actually saying it, "yeah, we're a self-parody now". Jack just threw a handcuffed and neutralized woman out a 7th story window because she sassed him. Holy gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I also witnessed a few things around the 16 minute mark I wish I hadn't, but I suppose that's just the "reward" for sticking through this series all the way to the end. Congratulations, DStecks, you did it. You're finally free.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

I think it would be great if it was just clip shows from Doug's videos and he says "When that happens". I'm positive Doug isn't that self aware and that isn't the case at all, is it?

Yes and no... He's admitted in his various review commentaries and podcasts that he enjoys purposefully running jokes into the ground because it amuses him personally.

I don't know if you can be the wrong kind of self-aware, but Doug managed to find a way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

I guess the problem with the recent ones in many peoples' books is that a lot of the NC's skits have dominated the episodes lately. They're the intro, outro, and framing device. Imagine if every review was his Caspter review.

It's starting to become like it was near the end of his first NC run; his reviews become mostly skits and stale jokes because he got tired of actually reviewing stuff.

• Locked thread