Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cinea Snob does his 20 best movies of 2014. I really need to get around to watching A Walk Among the Tombstones. I missed it in theatres, but it's probably out on dvd/blu-ray by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tracula posted:

Jay Bauman has gone full David Lynch with these vlogs he's started doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh0z3h7R5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLexMcEzkto

They remind me of the kind of movies Oancitizen would review.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

In terms of disappointment, AngryJoe's Most Dissin' games of '14 is up. haven't watched yet, so no spoilo here.

Spoiler: I was wrong about Ground Zeroes being on the list. Rewatching his original review of it, he was really really pissed at how short that game was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-they-duel-thats-what-they-do/

Spoony meets a really bad L5R group that misinteprets a lot of poo poo to be as douchie as possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

e X posted:

PvP is dumb as it is in pen and paper, but attacking an another character basically immediately after character creation over dumb in-game poo poo is even dumber. Is there more to L5R, or is it just Weeaboo the Game?

As a long-time L5R player, none of that poo poo would have happened in our games. When I was a newbie player starting with people who had been playing for a long time, they helped me with those weird etiquette rules instead of using them as a trap. Heck, there's an Etiquette skill you can roll to see if your character would know these things! And there's also how they misinterpret rules to be maximum douches. Off the top of my head:
- The refuse three times things is for gifts. Tea should have been just fine.
- Duels to the Death need to be approved by both lords, because in Smaurai-land your life doesn't belong to you, but your lord. And any smart lord would have refused that duel because he didn't want to lose a good asset for such a stupid reason.

So yeah, the game they played is incidental, they were just a group of players who think killing a newbie on his first game is fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Boyhood thing is fine as long as they don't pull a Brad Jones/Tree of Life and keep talking about it for five years.

In Brad's defense, Tree of Life is a loving terrible movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Angry Joe's controversy appears to have been taken down!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Spoony did a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGelxnZa3g

I don't hate it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Goodman is in Speed Racer? poo poo I might have to stop ignoring that movie. Wachowski-fied anime featuring one of the biggest hams this side of Brian Blessed sounds crazy enough to watch.

The movie justifies itself with it's first scene where Speed races the ghost of his dead brother. That the rest of the film is also good is just a nice bonus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If I had money, I'd really love to see what he thinks of the old show Millenium.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

While they try to pass 'I don't like things that are different' as a running joke, it's painfully obvious that it's also the truth.

There's a section where they rattle off a list of directors who are 'permitted' to not follow the rules they just made up for movies, thus making George Lucas bad because he's not on the list. The films are judged by how they should have been instead of how they are. If all films really were supposed to naturally have one central protagonist who gets taught how things work, then yeah the movie is bad. But that's not a methodology that works with films. Imagine if we thought about plays like that. Romeo and Juliet just got shat right out of the human canon, no-one is told how the world works, and instead a narrator tells the audience what's happening! What bullshit!

Who's the protagonist of Lord of the Rings? The Frodo guy who's not in ninety percent of the battles? No wait, I just checked and it turns out Tolkien's on the list of authors allowed to defy my bullshit rules and do something different.

This is coming from someone who thinks the plinkett reviews and RLM in general are great, by the way. They're funny and it's fascinating seeing people talk about movies and actually take the time to properly explain themselves, it's a real shame no-one bothers to do much else other than quote them in the Star Wars thread. Developing an opinion is cool. Opinions are like assholes, if you don't flex them and educate yourself about how they work and properly regulate what comes out of them, they smell like poo poo and you get butt problems.

Much as a like the RLM guys, that sequence where they have people fail to describe characters is pure bullshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because they are vehicles for the wish fulfillment of the player. It's like if every movie were Indiana Jones or Star Wars. The medium is inherently juvenile which is why all of its most vocal defenders or advocates are giant weeping babies who throw tantrums every five minutes.

That can't be true in a world where games like Drakengard and Kane & Lynch 2 exist, as they are pure expressions of the gamemakers hatred for their audience in game form.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Genetic Toaster posted:

I can't believe that these men may control the fate of the Middle East!

AI-YAI-HAI!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Kane and Lynch 2 has the second-top spot next to Hotline Miami (e: and, if you hadn't guessed, Tetris) on my list of Maximum Art Games, and perhaps has the best video game punchline of all time (it's called dog days and the final boss is two dogs you cap in one hit each before running away and the credits roll)

That's actually why I mentionned. That game is the opposite of fun to play, but there's soemthing artful about the ways it just shits on the main characters and everything they stand for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Next, they will be hailed as the two messenger of God!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jsor posted:

I honestly know nothing about that film, but it does have good ratings. Just from reading descriptions I can't tell what it is; or rather, I see that it's an action film, but I can't tell whether or not it's serious. I'm guessing it has to be pretty schlocky though, because Spoony makes fun of himself for liking it. I know in his Scott Pilgrim vlog thing he drew attention to the fact that Brad's favorite movie is Caligula while his is Big Trouble in Little China as a joke.

Is it worth watching?

It's not exactly a serious action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EiTD2Hgo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

Rorschach was the cool tragic badass, and a favorite of mine and probably a lot of others, but I identified mostly with Nite-Owl. I think I liked the old Nite-Owl the best though. I liked reading the Under the Hood backstory. I was disappointed when I saw the movie and a lot of that stuff was cut out.

Don't read the prequel books DC made recently. They are terrible and ruin old Nite Owl.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Every time a new Baywatching is posted, my day gets 100% better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You gain points with Kreia not by making a particular choice, but by showing you thoguht through these choices and made them for a reason. Or if you put yourself in the ebst position to make a choice, such as convincing both sides you're going to help them and betray the other side.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My experience as a QA tester lead me to think that the problems is rarely the QA department itself as much as the head of the company deciding to go ahead with a buggy product knowingly. The amount of games I tested that were full of bugs that were simply "waived" or labelled "as designed" is too large to count, and "it's not a bug, it's a feature" as long become a running joke in tester circles.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

The episode-by-episode reviews don't really seem all that useful unless you want to know the entire plot of a show/episode before going into it, which might be your thing if you're more interested in stuff like animation, imagery, and other storytelling factors and want to get the plot out of the way so you can pay attention to everything else, but most people can process that stuff alongside the story. They occasionally really do offer some cool observations though so maybe worth your time? I dunno. Read them if you like them I guess, whatever.

Just wanna go back to this for a second there. Most series don't really deserve a full episode-by-episode analysis, true, but I do believe that some do. I'm going to use a series I love as an example: Eureka Seven. Now, it might not be the best series of all time or anything, but it is a surprisingly dense one. The director celarly was trying to say something with it, have a message. There's a ton of references to other media and cultures: buddhism, new age, surfers, rap, electronic music, etc. In fact, every episode is named after a song, something I've never really seen talked about. A good analysis could bring up the various songs and groups and religions and cultures referenced and compare them to the themes brought in the episode. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do it myself.

Anyway, my point was, there are some series that do deserve more in-depht analysis out there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I get the logic of what you're trying to say - you watched the show and had this 'feeling' that the creator really had something to say, and that elevates its quality for you. This is a common feeling in anime - people see all the crosses in Evangelion and think Art, when plenty of Gainax' other shows have similar themes and images and simply execute them in a less pretentious way. TTGL has more to say than Eva by a long shot, and KLK (Trigger but they are basically Gainax come on) more still.

That's not what I'm saying it all: in fact, I even say something like it's not the best in my post. I was merely using a show I really like as an example of my point that some shows do deserve in-depht analysis. Eureka Seven is a different beast than Evangelion, but both can be pretty dense in terms of imagery and reference that go over their audience's head. While they have completely different themes and messages and whatnot, they are similar in that both shows have mechas and both are trying to tell more complicated stories.

As for the creator having soemthing to say, ti's not something I "felt", it's something that can easily be inferred through the show itself, as well as something the director directly stated: https://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/sato_mcgray%20interview.pdf (It's a great interview, read it)

I'm not saying only artsy shows can have meaning, I'm saying this particular show could make for a pretty interesting review. In fact, Eureka Seven isn't that artsy: it's a show with giant sky-surfing robots that can turn into cars! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXD0qx9HsM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyges posted:

Man of Steel is the best Superman movie.

The best superman movie is the Fleitcher cartoons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyges posted:

While great, they aren't really a movie. I need to go back and watch those again to see if Lois is still awesome in them or if other versions of Lois are infiltrating my memories of Fleitcher Lois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7U8_Cn3m-s&t=3m49s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Speaking of idiot fuckers who are wrong and I am smart, if you think Man of Steel is dour looking, you will pay for your crimes in my gulag:

Man of Steel is dope.

While those are good looking pictures, the colors are still kind of washed-out, although way less than in the horrendous 3D version.

Superman deserve Technicolor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Asuron posted:

:barf:

You're attributing way more thought into it than someone like Zack Snyder is capable of, please stop.

The real answer is that it was Superman imagery because it looked cool to Zack Snyder. Much like how he spends the whole movie trying to make the audience believe that Clark is a god and a force of absolute good and then has him engage in wanton destruction of the town and city without even an attempt to move the fight with Zod and his goons somewhere where people can't get hurt because he wanted a big epic fight scene in a collapsing city.

Media can invoke meaning other than what the author intended. This is literally what Death of the Author means.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

These men are pawns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I thought Spoony's latest review was a way of getting out of making a movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rebochan posted:

Fun fact - that show was the first to depict a superhero piloting a giant robot and is literally one of the three shows that served as a prototype for Toei's Super Sentai series. Battle Fever J, which was the first to be considered a Super Sentai, actually came to exist because Japanese Spider-Man was so popular they were going to do a Captain America series (as Captain J)... and somehow that morphed into a five-hero giant robot piloting battle team and birthed a franchise.

So what I'm trying to say is, the reason Japanese Spider-Man looks a lot like a Power Rangers show... it's because Power Rangers actually exists BECAUSE of Japanse Spider-Man.

I'm not just nerding out on the source material for Power Rangers by the way. I mean, I am, but it's also a nice seque to note that Linkara just released parts 1 and 2 of HOPR: RPM to Patreon subscribers.

Japanese Spiderman needs to show up in the Marvel movies.

CHANGE, LEOPARDON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OctoberCountry posted:

I haven't watched any of Spoony's stuff in years, but these videos are unedited three hours of of rambling at a camera punctuated by bad wrestler impersonations that go on for ten minutes at a time and occasional screaming.

Spoony hasn't changed at all, is what I'm saying.

And they're amazing. :allears:

It's me, I'm the guy who watches Spoony Wrestling videos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I do as well. I really like Spoony's wrestling videos, it's often fun to hear a dedicated fan with a vast wealth of knowledge absolutely lay into the current incarnation of a property, and I think it's actually even more fun to listen to them without having ever seen an episode of wrestling in my life. Really I think the problem with Spoony's Vlogs is that there's more of them than anything else these days.

It got me to look into more fun wrestling history, despite never having watched a wrestling match in my life either. The fall of WCW is an amazing tragicomedy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

In this same vein, even if you're not really interested in Wrestling PLEASE read The Death of WCW. It's one of the most insane business/sports stories ever written. Read how a company went from one of the biggest things in pop culture in the 90's to an absolute trainwreck of wasted money and ego.

I started! I'm still on chapter 1 because I keep being distracted by vidya games and shiny objects.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They were just a couple of song writers who came to Ishtar to break into pro wrestling.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I've already quoted parts from this section, but Imma just quote the whole thing here because it's so deeply, deeply strange:

I keep seeing stuff about how gaming was started by people who were bullied and the original gamers were all bullied and it just doesn't gel with my memories of how that poo poo went down. When I was a kid, every kid wanted a game console and would be jealous of the kids who had one at home. Sure, I was bullied as a nerd, but never ebcause I was a gamer. The bullies were gamers too, even!

As for the founders of gaming, they were a corporate conman who hired a bunch of stoners to make games for him. Then they sold out and became corporate and gaming was born. It's even a much more interesting story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's not a story that lets them be victims, though.

Well, that's the real reason right there. Re-writing history, perhaps unconsciously, to make yourself the victim. As something of an history-nerd, I hate that kind of poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Gaming was founded by Ralph Baer and I won't hear anything otherwise!

Ralph Baer was a nice guy by all accounts I've read, and he made the first videogames, but let's not kid ourselves, "gaming" as a thing was started by the crazy assholes at Atari.

Going back to Internet Critics, did anyone dos tuff on early gaming history? Seems like untapped potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ThW_HjtBg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kunster posted:

LazyGameReviews, Doctor Sparkle's Chrontendo, Greg Sewart's Generation-16 come to mind.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, the WCW strategy. :v:

Speaking of which, I'm about halfway through that book now, and goddamn is it amazing. :allears:

Edit: I'd pay good money to see Spoony do his own version of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clearly, the solution is to cut taxes for the rich even more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd like to see more GENDUM. Or maybe Eureka Seven.

• Locked thread