Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why is there a part of our monkey brains that condones this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

MoS is clearly the right movie to base the whole DC movie universe on.

EDIT: I am trying to be sarcastic. I hope you're smart enough to see that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are there any "classics" in internet reviewing?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I meant more like classic reviews.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you're going to have to further define what you mean by a 'classic review'.

I was watching some old video reviews (the ones Kyle (Oancitizen) did for "The Man Who Fell To Earth" and "Trash Humpers") and afterwards I realized how many years it was since I first watched them. I started thinking that those were classic Kyle reviews, and then wondered about other people and what would be considered classic reviews for them. In hindsight, classic may be stretching it; perhaps I was thinking "memorable".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What do the deleted scenes show?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If I understand Doug, I think his problem with Last Action Hero is the same with Enchanted: he doesn't like movies that have to explain what they're suppose to be making fun of. He prefers movies like Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein where they parody movies, but they don't point out the jokes and explain why they're ridiculous. At least, that's what I gathered.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 12, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The bully in Amazing Spider-Man was done well. I think; it's been a while since I saw it.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 17, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know it's... counter intuitive, but are there any episodes that aren't so good?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Here's the link. For the record, I haven't watched them yet.

You know, I appreciate the effort he puts into these, but good God they are way, way longer than they need to be. This most recent set clocks in at a full two hours, and if past episodes are anything to go by, it's pretty much just 100% straight plot summary. Every now and then there's an interesting anecdote or two behind-the-scenes, and with a title like "History of Power Rangers" I was really hoping he would go more into the production side of things. How were they made? How did the cast them? How did the writers deal the fact that they had no control over almost half the footage? There are probably a lot of good stories there, and I don't really give a poo poo which plastic weapon the Red Ranger killed Rubber Monster #2976 with, which is honestly all this series is.

It doesn't help that Linkara's voice can get really grating after a while.

I watched it and he goes into detail the various behind the scenes situations that popped up. He even says that despite all the problems and the Sentai footage, this season proves that miracles exist.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think he meant more the TV show.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I've been waiting for Todd to do that song for ages and he finally did it. I can't wait to see it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One of my favorite anime series is Outlaw Star.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Jay O posted:

On the one hand, even I don't get where the anime derail comes from when it does, (too many closeted weebs lurking the thread?) and while I like discussing focused topics in that vein, the "hey let's all rattle off our favorite anime" thing seems like a probable thread-locker.

On the other hand, it is hilarious when people complain about it. As with derails about Man of Steel or derails about GooberGolf, the topic will change back when there's more internet critic content people want to discuss. If a topic you don't like starts taking off, you can ignore the thread until it trickles back, or post some new internet critic content if you've got it. People talking about things that do not interest you and are not 100% on the listed topic of the thread is normal. No reason for the panic button.

I do start pitching a bitch when people get really gross and lovely about a topic though, so hey, we all have our gear-grinders. :v:

Weren't you the cause of this anime derail with your new video about anime Openings from 2004?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

ERod the Blockbuster Buster did another tribute to voice over actors.There's something that's bugging me. Before introducing the actors there's a bit of music that plays and I know I heard it from somewhere, but I cannot remember where it's from. Does anyone know?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Considering the timing of the episode, I think it was going to be a sort of April 1st video, but it got pushed back and looks ridiculous now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Is that Famikamen Rider stream happening on Marzgurl's Twitch tonight?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

MUD2MMO: The Mepps Incident

Wow, what an rear end in a top hat.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Alacron posted:

and editing out Smoker's cigars entirely, which was quite a feat considering he was always smoking two or three at a time. The edits just made him look like he had jaw problems and couldn't close his mouth all the way.

I'll admit that I kinda like the idea of him breathing out smoke on his own because of his power.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

This isn't related to the Escapist, or anything/anyone in particular, but just in general. Is it weird to dislike someone/something for any number of reasons, but still respecting their thoughts and opinions about any subject, be it anime or movies or novels or what have you?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Ah, so thats why that show is hated. Cause on first glance it sounded right up my alley. I loved .hack back in the day and this has a similar premise.

It also had a damsel in distress and rape implications (physical and mental). That's all I'm going to say and I don't want to go further in detail.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Kyle is doing another Shakespeare Month.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm not sure which song I am. It's either Ice Ice Baby or Love Takes Time, though it's likely Ice Ice Baby.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The conception one may be off if your mother got a C-section.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The website also has an option for the song that was playing when your parents got busy and made you. I'm assuming there are parents that plan a C-section in advance, and therefore you are born earlier than when the mother is waiting until her water breaks and goes into labor.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was not trying to make a joke. I edited my comment above to try and explain it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was trying to argue that C-section could change the theoretical conception date and what song your parents were listening to, but I'll cede this discussion since I don't really want to continue it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

First example that comes to my mind is The Taming of the Shrew and 10 Things I Hate About You (thank you Kyle and Shakespeare Month last year).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Was there any outdoor filming?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Doug reviewed the Antonio Banderas and I don't think I can accept that its actually a bad movie, I remember watching it all the time and loving it. :negative:

It's okay if someone doesn't like something you like. That's life. In fact, here's someone else who liked that movie, flaws and all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Turns out it was for naught since it wasn't the movie he was worried about in the first place.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Doug interviews Tommy Wiseau. Yes, THAT Tommy Wiseau.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Jsor posted:

Is Avengers 2 watchable for someone who hasn't seen a Marvel Movie after Iron Man 3?
No, since stuff happens in Captain America 2 that changed things in the MCU.

Disclaimer: I am not a Whedon fan. It's not from dislike of his works, but because I haven't really seen any them and I can't call myself a fan of something I haven't seen for myself. Point is I am trying to be as unbiased as I can.

Anyway, I heard stories about Whedon having to work with Marvel executives wanting the movie to have certain elements and things done, and that company pressure is pushing Whedon away from MCU stuff in general. I don't know the specifics about what went on, but it sounds like the usual company stifling the artistic vision of the director. I could also be wrong and misinformed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Because there are a slew of Avengers vlogs from everyone and we might as well sort out our feelings on the matter since everyone else is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Sorry, but what is DSP?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Tracula posted:

I haven't even watched their video but here's Spoony and April talking about Avengers 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVDcO1GFIw

Oh hey less than three minutes in and he's being an rear end in a top hat to the audience. Thanks, Noah.

I'm listening to it now, and I don't understand how he's an rear end in a top hat in that time period.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

... Dare I ask where this came from?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Dude, I get that you don't like Doug and feel very insulted, but I think you're going overboard with it. I mean, did you literally type down everything Doug said in those 3 minutes?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

lornekates posted:

Interesting that literally nothing you typed is true.

Oh, I'm sorry for being completely wrong. Clearly you like Doug and was so inspired by his video that you had to share it with the thread. Is that better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Remember when Doug was offering $100 for cover art? He upped it to $300 now. Clearly this has some nefarious meaning that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 12, 2015

• Locked thread