Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
All things considered that feels like the appropriate way for Jay to announce a vlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Anthony Burch is a positive example that he should have stuck to just doing HAWP.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

A surprising amount of people watch the Super Bowl every year and learn about the teams involved enough to fake conversation for that very reason.

Case in point, there was a huge backlash recently when Canadian TV replaced the US Super Bowl Ads with Canada-relevant ones.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Ah, actually quite the opposite happened. I must admit I had only seen the headlines while reading about the new CRTC changes regarding TV packages, but according to this Globe and Mail article it's the Canadian TV Industry that provided the backlash to new rules that effectively prohibits the replacement of Super Bowl commercials in Canada.

EDIT: Still, this is after years of complaints from people that they can't see the superbowl ads live, so hopefully the point stands!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 28, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Egads. I watched that game show, and I had thought I might've hosed something up and accidentally came in halfway through. Who's idea was it to cold start them playing that fishing game board?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

In other news the new One Hit Wonderland is up.

Wow, I never saw their music videos before but they would fit the right in with Tales From Genesis Space.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Goddamn, I'm glad the anime I latched onto in High School was .hack//SIGN. That one is alright, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure the worst thing to come out of that was a couple of grindy, dull video games.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 2, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I've got "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie. I mean, I suppose I could be doing worse, but I can't help but notice that Sledgehammer hit the number one spot only a few months later.

Oh well.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, they were wrong about Alien Isolation.

And it's not that hard to figure out. You want to complete the mission to move on, but a thing is in your way. You want to avoid the thing so you finish the mission. There's your tension. Also, don't expect an action game based off a slow burning horror movie.

No, they were pretty well spot on about Alien Isolation, but I can see where people would really like it in comparison with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Lots of people get frustrated with the shooting in first person shooters when it's dull and repetitive. And I don't think they missed the point whatsoever. They get that it's a survival horror game and not an action game, but when you're at it so long that you start seeing the seams of the gameplay and AI, it stops being scary. It's 6 hours of solid horror buttery goodness scraped over twenty hours of toast.

Edit: Seam, not seem!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 1, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Also the last picture will be on the wall outside her room. After. iirc, ten mother base soldier missions.

Re: Quiet There's some justification in that The End had functional lungs whereas hers are burnt to the point of uselessness.. Code Talker also has some parasites in him yet he eats and breathes normally. There's just a difference between having the parasites as a symbiotic power giver and a life support system. Her design is still dumb as poo poo, but overall there's some hamhanded logic.

This almost makes it worse, how did her lungs manage to be irreparably burnt but her skin comes back unblemished with crazy photosynthesis powers?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So her skin gets regenerated into super photosynthetic invisibility skin, but they can't fix her lungs. The parasites can also infest her vocal cords and somehow become a virulent plague if she speaks English, but her lungs are no good now.

Gotcha.

EDIT: vv Is that Philadelphia Collins?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 13, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Shamus Young is a doofus that takes every valid criticism of FO3 and drowns it in hyperbole. Fallout 3 is rife with lazy writing, but that's more disappointingly typical of Bethesda than anything else given that it's a vehicle for exploring a post apocalyptic DC. All things considered, it was a really fun wasteland to explore!

It's just that New Vegas shows you can build a fun wasteland to explore AND an interesting story with the same game engine to boot. Even if some of the dialogue feels like it belongs in a one man stage show rather than a conversation.

I'm looking at you, Cassidy. :colbert:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Seriously. Like, I think Oblivion's writing is a step above Skyrim's plot but sweet cupping cakes, the awful gameplay and balancing issues are only outdone by its Facegen system.

E: vv Alright, while similar in nature, Oblivion's scaling problems are LEAPS and BOUNDS worse than Skyrim's.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 27, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yes, heaven forbid this thread goes on a tangent relevant to a piece of media covered by an internet critic.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

I never played Skyrim and very briefly played Morrodin, so I ask you this: why did so many people lock themselves into their rooms to play Skyrim if it is not a fun game?

From what I can tell, people play Skyrim to mod it into a gigantic fetish pit.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

KKall posted:

Fair enough :)

I was actually intending that for The Vosgian Beast, not for you!

e: Though I certainly understand the sentiment against these discussions coming up given how conversations about games tend to go. Sprawling and all that.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 28, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

Well that's disappointing. If the role-playing aspect has been shafted that much, maybe I won't get this after all. And I'm not sure how much mods will help.

Personally I wouldn't call the role-playing aspect appreciably more shafted than it was by Fallout 3, as far as the series goes. It's certainly disappointing compared to the RP experience in New Vegas, but I don't think anybody was expecting Bethesda to what Obsidian does best (taste depending). The Mass Effect coat of paint they tossed over the dialogue is just hilariously bad and awkward as all get out. I find myself taking the "Sarcastic" option most of the time; in part because I often don't care about the conflicts presented and it functions somewhat as a coin flip in that regard, and in part by accident. Remove the dialogue wheel, and the writing, so far, is better than what I saw in Fallout 3.

That said, I do feel much of the game-play improvements are solid. The gunplay feels better than it did in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, enemies will use cover and grenades intelligently and the animals typically have a trick up their sleeve. Molerats don't just charge at you like a bundle of free EXP waiting to contribute to your next level, instead preferring to burrow underground as a group and pop up surrounding you. Feral Ghouls are my favorite improvement though as they no longer have any issues with heights or waist high railings. Now they just barrel over obstructions by the waist or fall from whatever height they're at to get on your level (often at the same time!) then pick themselves up and charge.

I like that scavenging is a think that actually makes sense for you to do, rather than an activity NPCs just participate in. I think the weapon modding system is neat, as it can allow you to modify just about any weapon you find to suit what playstyle you're going for, if imperfectly. Find a hunting rifle with a scope, long barrel and a stock, but you're a run and gun shoot from the hip type? Well there's nothing stopping you from cutting all that crap off and rechambering it from .308 cal bullets to .50! It makes me feel like the clever craftsman, rather than getting lucky and being awarded a much better variant of a gun by some clever NPC craftsman.

All of that said, I do find the problems with the game overabundant. Super Bunnyhop's video hits the nail on the head: There is something SOLID here that can be really, REALLY fun, but wait for the patches/mods to come to fix and build on that.

EDIT: I should note that my only progress so far has been doing the basic "Build Sanctuary" quests, helping a Brotherhood paladin fight robots, and getting to Diamond City. I am NOT very far into the game, so take my observations with that grain of salt in mind.

It's also worth noting that in the middle of writing this up I paused, loaded up steam, and put in my refund request.

Well, I was declined. Can't argue with their reasoning, really, so I'll just keep at the game. Focus on the bits I like, stick with the doggie and keep at it. No sense letting the money go to waste!

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like what they did with power armor, turning it into the "One Man Tank" style armored cavalry role it was always presented as in the writing as opposed to just being the highest level armor. Also I found a magazine in my brief playthrough that let me paint flames on it and that was kinda cool.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 13, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Testekill posted:

Jesus, Double Down is just an absolute fever dream of a movie. If I was watching it then as soon as it finished I would be convinced that I'd imagined everything about it.

We were watching the episode together and my wife made a very astute observation: Double Down is basically the "Threat Level Midnight" movie from The Office.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yes, that's the joke.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Remember that guy with the stupid puppet?

I remember he had a stupid puppet and a stupid voice. Whatever happened to him? It was a bunny puppet who "smoked weed" because it's edgy and cool, despite the puppeteer clearly having never smoked weed in his life.

You mean the guy that made a video about how he was OK with Michael Jackson molesting children if that's what it took to create Thriller, right? Because that's Bunny Perspective and MAN that video was bad. Like the image of that stupid little bunny puppet nodding along like everything he was saying about Hitler was just so OBVIOUSLY correct is burned into my brain.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It also looks bad when you compare it with similar situations, such as EverQuest public servers. Project 1999 is exactly what it says on the tin; a recreation of EverQuest circa 1999 and it is VERY well done, down to being ran by incompetent dorks and abrasive GMs. At no point did Sony or SOE try to shut them down, even when they launched their OWN Progression Servers to serve that exact niche, which would start with only vanilla content unlocked and open up expansions when the players accomplished specific end game goals. People flocked to those servers, they were a draw. Imperfect recreations, sure, but many of the same people did opt to pay for it; P1999 had a significant dip in logins when they launched.

Hell, even when SOE was going down in flames they left them (and others) untouched.

EDIT: Daggum phone posting making me miss typos.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 15, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Double Dragon feels about as post apocalyptic as the Super Mario Brothers movie, which is to say that it's just another video game franchise Hollywood nabbed and had no idea what to do with. Also, they took a look at the lumpy big headed Abobo sprite and somehow made a testicle monster. I mean... I know it's hard to tell what they're SUPPOSED to be but c'mon.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

The post-apocalypse stuff is in the Japanese manual for Double Dragon. Stupid or not, it's not something they just made up for the movie.

Huh! And here I was thinking it was just a bunch of shits getting into a scrap, like River City Ransom. Guess that shows me for not reading the manual. :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I mean, yeah Star Fox kinda became Nintendo's answer to Sonic in terms of questionable decisions with the franchise, but I don't think it's so far gone that it'd be an automatic pass ITYOOL 2016 as a whole.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Seriously. I'm not going to lose any sleep if a Homestuck game is never released, but swiping funds raised from the public for one project to fund another is a lovely and underhanded thing to do.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Augus posted:

It's not really "shaming" to think that a critic's relatively limited perspective on the medium causes them to make overly harsh judgement calls and absolute statements that ignore different points of view (I.e: yours) and to find that frustrating.

But should we expect game reviewers to to touch on other perspectives, and to what degree should we expect them to do so since they can't possibly cover them all? We are ostensibly watching their review for their opinion, and at times it will be overwhelmingly negative. I can certainly understand not agreeing with their opinion, but it strikes me as odd to say it's somehow a flaw that they didn't provide speculation on what other people might think. I can watch another reviewer to get a different perspective, after all.

I don't think that they hate the 3rd person shooter gametype outright, after all Rich seems to love the one Platinum Games released. I can understand their criticism that it appears to be a new Default in the industry.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, we're already a bunch of blithering idiots. Net has nothing to do with it!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Well I watched the AVGN Ghohstbusters video when I got home and jesus loving christ this is the crap that people get into internet slap fights over? AVGN makes a video saying "I'm not going to review the latest entry in a franchise I love and have readily reviewed because I think it looks REALLY BAD!", Patton Oswalt makes a dumb quip and everybody loses their minds.

By the way, way to leap from a comedian making a harmless joke on Twitter to "HIS WIFE DIED HE'S LASHING OUT". Real classy.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

KKall posted:

EVERYONE SHUT DA FCUK UP ABOUT GOBBUTTERS AND WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW IT IS BEAUTIFUL AND INNOCENT AND PURE

I can't believe this baby may control the fate of Serenia.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, thanks for showing us Night Mind! I too used to watch Marble Hornets and EMH until they either started overreaching or repeating themselves, so this is a treat! Also, I had NO idea the Wyoming Incident stuff continued after the SA "twas all for butts" reveal! That was an incredibly interesting video to watch, even if at times it felt like he was giving more regard to fanfiction than was needed.

Oh wow. This is the most entertaining wheel of the worst since SOS, and also has just about the most deplorable videos on it. Like I'm 99% sure that the reason I found it entertaining is because I'm just outright flabbergasted that two of those VHS tapes exist.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Jack's cringing during the Hypnosis bit was... Well, it's probably what I would do if I had to watch that.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

who is making him a villain

Nobody in this thread that I've seen, but the internet's bigger than here. Based on Twitter, there's definitely people out there who are mad enough at James to drag his SO into this crapfest. Somebody out there probably thinks he's a villain, but I really do think a lot of the backlash is just bandwagoning by people who... I dunno, wanna feel righteous?

EDIT: vv Oh yeah, I guess that IS kinda making him a villain, isn't it?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 20, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

lornekates posted:

@HBomberGuy how is the Crystal Skull vodka? I got a teeny tiny version of it as a gift, but haven't opened it yet. Not sure if it's worth investing in a Big loving Skull version of it.

Also: Crystal Skull Vodka Joke: Patreon Money well, WELL spent!

It's pretty good vodka, plus you get a kitschy glass skull bottle.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I don't think it's out of line to say Boss's appearance in the last fight with her has some major T&A elements thrown in for the titillation factor, but I also don't see how saying that is also somehow throwing out the rest of her characterization. There's a lot going on there, as mentioned before where she's a tough, practically invulnerable character that is now suddenly showing a vulnerable side in her last moments, but I think somewhere along the lines "Oh yeah that's hot" was a factor in the design. This is as opposed to Quiet, where the cheesecake is eye rollingly blatant, and there's just not much else.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Context is important. By showing a picture of The Boss and saying that videogames enforce the notion that "Sexualization is the most viable/real route for women to get power", Sarkeezy implies that the only reason The Boss is seen as powerful is because of her sexy factor. Instead of nearly murdering the main character and metaphorically castrating him and her background.

Personally I think she should have added some more context rather than just throwing it out like it is, because I do agree with the people saying that having her fight zipped down is kind of stupid. Though I'm not sure if its meant to be sexy, unless you're the kinda guy that gets off on scars over the titty and stomach area.

I'm fairly certain it's meant to be sexy to a degree, given that it's Hideo "You Will Feel Ashamed of Your Words & Deeds" Kojima. More than anything, though, the scar made me think her doctors were horrible at their job.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

My favourite part was in the current expansion where you have to go back in time to lead an army against the big bad from the previous expansion and his dad. At the end when you're confronting the bad guy you were tasked with leading an army against, he knocks you down... but don't worry THRALL comes in and saves you! Then you get a cutscene where they have a one on one duel and Thrall wins.

The name of the quest is "And Justice for Thrall". Guys we should make a movie about this.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I think it's funny that there's this weird back-and-forth going on between MisterBibs and other posters, where both sides appear to be on the same page of "Mass Effect is filled with bad writing and BioWare isn't as good at this 'Your Choices Matter' shtick as they think they are" but somehow you're all disagreeing. Certainly his view that this is something we should've seen coming is a bit cynical but... Well, we should've seen it coming. Baldur's Gate 2 effectively resets your character's situation so the decisions that you make in the first game don't matter by having you start off kidnapped in a crazy wizard's dungeon in another country, on top of bringing back a number of characters that you might have killed with "I got better" reasoning that's only really justified because it's set in a world where Level 9 Clerics exist. (Note: I loved BG1 and 2 as a kid, and they still have a special place in my heart. The overall story is classic D&D shlock and somewhat railroaded but they did give a lot of opportunities for you to define your character's personality and motivations inside of that railroad. I really, really, really appreciated being able to tell the three wizards casting Detect Truth when you're being interrogated by elves to shut the hell up when they confirm you're speaking the truth the fourth time around.)

The big reason the choice thing sticks out as a sore thumb with Mass Effect is because "YOUR CHOICES MATTER" was the advertising drum they beat again and again and again when hyping the game up, and the ways that your choices are made to NOT matter are so absolutely bald-faced that I can't help but think it was a joke all along. As MonsieurChoc says, however, that's not even the biggest issue. It's the fact that, regardless of the choices you do or don't make, the writing in the ME Trilogy is all over the face and it feels like a lot was sacrificed so somebody could wank on about their Cerberus '90s Rob Liefeld-esque comic characters.

Edit: to clarify points because I'm an incredibly lovely poster.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 16, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Archer666 posted:

I never really understood why they had to kill Shepard in the beginning of ME2. Storywise you could think of a billion better ways to have him in contact with Cerberus if you really wanted to. There's no tension cause you come back to life 5 minutes later. There are better ways to change/age up characters too.

The only legit reason I can think of is that one trailer they showed "SHEPARD IS DEAD".

Ohhh, I can think of another big reason why they wanted the main character named Shepard to die, and then rise from the dead to be mankind's salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Zack Snyder is perfectly capable of telling stories and characterization - people have simply decided that he cannot. You can simply see this thread, where one poster claimed that there can be no meaning in Zack Snyder films because he knows that Zack Snyder cannot put meaning into films.

Thus the spectacle of people debating the story of philosophy of MoS and BvS while claiming that they're terrible and vacuous. BvS is the only comic book movie with a dedicated GBS thread, while the supposedly superior Civil War has been forgotten. It's like the Star Wars prequels: despite insistence that they're terrible mistakes and the worst, discussion continues to put them on a pedestal.

I agree with you that a lot of people have put forth terrible, bad faith arguments on the matter of BvS, MoS, the Prequels and more. Watching people muddy up legit discussion with a half-baked attempt at being MR. FUNNY ONE-LINER is terribly annoying. That said, is your only response to his point REALLY going to be "Others are arguing in bad faith" and "People are still talking about it in GBS"? Are you not going to address his rebuttal to your insinuation that the subject's use of the term "moment" and "scene" is too vague? I have to say, I do see that sentiment often on the discussion of Snyder, and from varied sources. Often enough that at the very least it appears a lot of people struggle to connect to Snyder's films through the dissonance of these small, visually stunning moments (following the definition KKall presented, for this discussion) and the rest of the script. That is something the constant debating says to me.

I want to say that I can understand where you're coming from but the way you have been picking and choosing what to respond to in people's posts, and for this matter that it appears you are avoiding addressing KKall's points at all, just makes me think you aren't interested in an actual discussion.

• Locked thread