Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cyron posted:

looking at the patrons i find it shocking brad makes more then linkara, but no clue if people droped off of linkara due to drama durring the day but still brad deseaves it.

red letter is just gods in this department, enough to buy a lifetime of pizza rolls.

EDIT: ok even though i am not a fan, love the FF description. good job on the OP.

Linkara's Patreon has been hovering around its currently level for quite a while, I don't think the recent drama has affected it at all. I think the difference is down to Brad's main show (The Cinema Snob) having a wider appeal (movies are much more accessible than comic books) and Brad having a higher overall output.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Anita Sarkeesian posted an update to the Tropes vs Women Kickstarter page providing a retrospective of the past two years (including a detailed explanation of why each video takes several months to be produced) and explaining her future vision for Feminist Frequency. It looks like Feminist Frequency will be expanding its scope and producing multiple feminist- and otherwise-progressively-oriented online video series concurrently. There are a few more details in the first Feminist Frequency annual report (one interesting tidbit: their total budget for next year is $400,000, up from $64,200 this year :stare:).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Holy poo poo, I think Mike J has found the most worthless kitchen tool ever: a dedicated banana slicer. :psyduck:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 27, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

lornekates posted:

And speaking of Spoony:

It's one of two things. Here's a zoomed screencap from the end of the review:

It's either:
1) The circled thing. It wasn't present in the other Dr. Insano scene. Looks like a game cartridge, but I don't recognize which one
2) The arrow-pointed-at thing. It was present the entire review. Again, I don't recognize the logo.

Any thoughts?

The arrow thing looks like The Ultimate Warrior's logo (which I only recognize because of that horrible comic Linkara reviewed).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Rebochan posted:

Come on people, this is low hanging fruit! This was the episode about GHOST SEX.

...actually, I still haven't watched much of SF Debris, so I guess it says something about how much I hate this episode to come and watch him tackle this. I... really need to watch the rest of his stuff. Any recommendations on where to start?

As far as his TV reviews go just pick episodes that you recognize and stood out to you when you originally watched them, both good and bad. Unlike a lot of Internet Critics he does equally well at explaining why good media works as he does at tearing down bad media so don't be afraid to watch his reviews of good episodes/movies/etc. For Star Trek specifically he also has a few playlists centered around plotlines, alien races, or specific characters you can give a shot.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 23, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

What about the goon who was going to restore the 16mm workprint of "Manos"? That dude dropped off the face of the earth.

He recently posted an update that Synapse Film sent him a test disc for the Blu Ray release and that it should be out later this year (or early next, depending on how the timing of all the aspects of packaging, distribution, etc. work out).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

On the way home from work today I heard an NPR interview with the founder of Molossia, the "micronation" Channel Awesome "invaded" in Kickassia. It's hard to believe that Kickassia is already 5 years old and the interview (which didn't mention the film) made me weirdly nostalgic for it despite it not being very good.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I just got a Patreon backer message from SF Debris which mentioned today is his 42nd birthday. Does that make him the oldest "internet critic"? Do any of the "internet critics" who frequent this thread see themselves still doing it at 42?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

If any producers are looking for a good place to archive their old Blip content (especially if you can't re-edit it to work around YouTube copyright filters) consider using the Internet Archive. You won't get any ad revenue from them but the IA doesn't really give two shits about copyright as long as you're not blatantly uploading whole copyrighted works.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

poparena posted:

Right now, the only place that won't be a copyright robot disaster is Vimeo, but that's a $200 annual fee. :(

Annointed posted:

Well drat. Where is everyone supposed to host their videoes now other than YouTube? Vimeo's an option. I guess if you're desperate you can use Dailymotion or something like that.

As I mentioned before you can upload pretty much anything to the Internet Archive for free and they don't have any kind of copyright filters, though obviously as a digital library they don't offer any kind of monetization. It would make a good "backup" repository to Youtube and if you get all of your revenue from Patreon it might even be viable as a primary hosting site, though their site is nowhere near as polished as any of the commercial video hosting sites.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

The Archive Team (a group of digital archivists/hoarders loosely-affiliated with the Internet Archive) are making a complete archive of all of Blip which they plan to eventually upload to the Internet Achive. They are currently down to the last 150k out of about 7.5M videos and you can track their progress here.

I've also made a a nearly-complete personal archive of everyone who was on Blip who was at any time also on Channel Awesome (and who had not had their channel purged previously), as well as a selected few other reviewers (most notably RLM). I'm not planning to upload the entire archive anywhere (my ISP already sent me a nag letter for using 7 terabytes of bandwidth just downloading all those videos) but if someone wants a specific video please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. The archive is only "nearly-complete" because some videos unfortunately didn't have any working download links. (Overall about 2% of videos are missing, though some critics like Benzaie were hit harder and have around 5% missing.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are the videos dated?

I have complete sets of metadata for every publicly-available video on Blip including their publication date.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

e X posted:

I'd actually take you up on this, though I don't have pms. Do you have an email address or something similar?

Sure, e-mail my user name at outlook.com.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

The Archive Team I mentioned earlier has worked out a special deal with Blip to allow them to continue scraping the site until the servers are physically shut down (which they estimate will happen in a day or so). If you have any spare bandwidth to contribute now is the time to do so since there are still around 100k outstanding videos to download and the Archive Team will not get them all at their current download rate. Here is how you can contribute, if you want to:
  1. Download and install VirtualBox
  2. Download and import the Archive Team Warrior VirtualBox Appliance into VirtualBox
  3. After you import the appliance run it through the VirtualBox Manager
  4. When the appliance finishes booting it will show a screen telling you to navigate to localhost:8001 in a browser, do so
  5. Fill in a name and then (optionally) check the "Show Advanced Settings" box and increase the "Concurrent items" from 2 to 6 and "Rsync threads" from 1 to 2 (these are based on my experience with Blip.tv's bandwidth for download and the Archive Team's servers for uploading). Save you changes.
  6. On the Available Projects screen click the "Work on this Project" button for the Blip.tv project

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Sorry, this is the last time I'll mention this.

:siren: There's still time to help preserve Blip's legacy! :siren:

The servers have not yet shut down so it's expected they will stay up through the weekend. If you want to help please follow these instructions:

Mr.Radar posted:

1. Download and install VirtualBox
  2. Download and import the Archive Team Warrior VirtualBox Appliance into VirtualBox
  3. After you import the appliance run it through the VirtualBox Manager
  4. When the appliance finishes booting it will show a screen telling you to navigate to localhost:8001 in a browser, do so
  5. Fill in a name and then (optionally) check the "Show Advanced Settings" box and increase the "Concurrent items" from 2 to 6 and "Rsync threads" from 1 to 2 (these are based on my experience with Blip.tv's bandwidth for download and the Archive Team's servers for uploading). Save you changes.
  6. On the Available Projects screen click the "Work on this Project" button for the Blip.tv project

Additionally, if you have a server on the Internet with a large amount of free disk space (at least 6 terabytes) and a 1 Gbit/s or higher connection (for incoming data) please contact me by PM or e-mail (my user name at outlook.com) ASAP. The Archive Team is running out of serves to offload videos onto so if we could "borrow" yours for a few days we would be forever grateful.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Junior Jr. posted:

Well I'm screwed.

Thanks for trying. :). It looks like they have enough people scraping, assuming Blip's servers stay up over the weekend.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks to anyone and everyone who helped contribute to the Blip.tv preservation effort. It looks like almost every video was saved and they will be making their way onto the Internet Archive over the next few months (there's over 210 terabytes of data to process!). In the mean time, my offer to share any video I've saved in my personal collection still stands if you are looking for something specific.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking at the Blip tracker and I'm not sure what it's doing now. I thought it finished.

Right now they're scraping user profiles. Most of them are empty so they go pretty fast.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

This is from a few pages back:

With copyright always going to be an issue for Internet Reviewers, I'm wondering if this isn't something that might eventually happen for some of those critics. Unless you get another Blip that drags its heels on copyright poo poo to come along, the very act of putting video clips of someone else's product into your video reviews is going to be a constant Sword of Damocles hanging over your content's head. Maybe written reviews (or audio-based ones?) could be an alternative?

SF Debris mentioned looking into self-hosting his videos but apparently his videos alone use over 100 TB of data per month which he got quoted at $9k (each month). I'm sure that within 10 years those costs will come down to a reasonable amount and people who want to skirt copyright can just self-host. Alternatively reviewers could just publish their content via BitTorrent to spread out the bandwidth use, though obviously that would have a negative impact on viewership.

Edit: I got that from this video but on listening to it again it doesn't sound like he was specifically self-hosting but rather paying for space on an existing video host. Either way 100 TB is still a lot for now.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 23, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

If anyone wanted to take me up on my offer of sharing videos I now have a catalog that I can share: https://2by2.info/blip-saved.html (Warning: this page is huge and may freeze your browser for a few seconds when you open it.) If you want a specific video, please e-mail me (to my forums user name at outlook.com) with the video ID.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Outlook? in 2015?

It's my backup e-mail. :)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Jsor posted:

Speaking of OHW, the MMbop one got taken off Youtube in a day. :(

Does the Blip archive people were making have it?

At the very least it's in my personal collection. I uploaded it here. Some else asked for SF Debris' Madoka Magicka Rebellion review so here it is as well: part 1, part 2.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Someone on the Channel Awesome forums asked about how the data saved by the Archive Team will be made accessible. I thought you guys might also be interested in knowing:

Mr.Radar posted:

I actually wasn't too clear on this myself, so I asked. Apparently for now these archived files will only be available in raw WARC format here: https://archive.org/details/archiveteam_blip. The WARC format is to web requests what the ZIP format is to regular files: a container containing both the metadata (e.g. the original URL/content length or file name/file size respectively) and the actual data (response or file data, respectively). There are tools that let you load a WARC and access it through your web browser as if you were accessing the original site and there are others which let you extract the raw data (I have had warcat recommended to me for that). Maybe eventually the videos' pages will be added to the Wayback Machine or the raw videos will be extracted and added to the Internet Archive's video collection, but that is not currently planned (as far as I am aware). Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

DSteck's Sonichu finale live stream is live now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OumZ8HH83t8

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

What's going on with Archive.org and everything they pulled off blip? Is that up anywhere yet?

Right now it's being uploaded to the Internet Archive's "Archive Team: The Blip Blop" collection. Unfortunately it's being uploaded in a format called WARC which is designed for preserving web scrapes with as much accuracy as possible (and it excels at that) but doesn't have a lot of easy to use software built around it (warcat is a powerful tool for working with these files but it's both command-line and requires Python to be installed). Additionally, the files have been further processed to combine the scrape into 25 gig chunks with a random assortment of videos in each chunk. All of this means it's not easy to access the content.

As always I am happy to share any video from my personal collection. Just shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail to my username at outlook.com with the video ID you want.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 18, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Tracula posted:

Has Spoony said anything about uploading his Blip videos or are those forever lost?

I dunno about Spoony but if you are looking for anything in particular I am happy to share any video from my personal collection. Just shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail to my username at outlook.com with the video ID you want.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

lornekates posted:

FYI: Brad posted to Twitter asking if anyone had a few Midnight Screenings that didn't transfer from Blip. You may want to shoot him a reply, if you're up to sharing:

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/660861454166458368

Thanks for the heads up. I've sent him a message on Patreon since I don't have a Twitter account.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Running With Scissors (the Postal developers) linked the video on their Twitter:

Running WIth Scissors Twitter posted:

Someone who is the antithesis of our target demographic plays our games and gets triggered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivtv6wabBk … 1/2

Running WIth Scissors Twitter posted:

Felt the need to repeat his entire point twice, and states many lies as 'fact'. Worth a watch for a laugh :) 2/2

One of the developers (MarphitimusBlackimus) engaged Noah in the YouTube comments:

Developer on YouTube posted:

MarphitimusBlackimus 1 day ago
Hi there! I'm the lead designer at Running With Scissors, and while I can only personally comment on the time that I've been here, I can confirm that much that has been said here is incorrect.

If you would be so kind, however, I do think you should put a spoiler warning prior to revealing the ending of Paradise Lost. I believe there is little gain to be had from unwittingly spoiling the game for viewers.

Hide replies
SuperBlackJesus321 1 day ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus that ending is the saddest thing I've seen in a video game. I really hope you get help.

Robb_Stark 1 day ago
Lol gently caress off mate

Starrukin 1 day ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus What are you working on now?

+Starrukin We are currently working on POSTAL Redux and a new unannounced IP.

Judge Fredd 1 day ago
Am I correct in saying that he has completely missed the goddamned point? I haven't even played the loving game and I understand exactly what the point is.

InnerPartisan 1 day ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus "I believe there is little gain to be had from unwittingly spoiling the game for viewers."

You have a point there - but only insofar as there is little gain to be had from watching that scene in any context.

+Judge Fredd I do not feel I a can dictate what anyone takes away from games, be it others or even one I've worked on. While I can't speak directly in this regard for the previous designers (although I have access to all of their original designs), I don't think I'm too far off the mark by saying that POSTAL as a whole is what you, the player, make of it. This mentality varies across the series, but it's especially prominent in the open world sandbox of POSTAL 2. As much as I adore The Postal Dude, he is not the true star of the series. He is merely a vessel, a hapless bystander who can only sit back and revel in amusement at a world thoroughly out of his control. That control belongs to you, the individual behind the keyboard, and it's a core facet of the game that urine control of your own destiny. For this reason, no interpretation of POSTAL is incorrect.

What I can objectively refute, though, are the assertions made as to the motives behind the games' design. I hope I'm adequately capable of making this judgment in Paradise Lost's case seeing since I was the lead designer there, but I can also rightfully speak for the previous RWS development teams as I've poured through their design documents as well. For instance, there seems to be some vast assumption of malicious intent behind every choice. What makes you think we hate Double Fine? What makes you think PU Games is even a proxy for DF? I hate to have to explain a joke, but the jump from PU Games to Double Fine is a lot larger than PU Games to EA Games. (Although the magic, of course, is that the fictitious PU Games can be whoever you believe it to be!) I should also point out that the design for this errand was completed in May 2014. Feel free to check your calendars to see how this compares to the time line of world events. Nonetheless, while I would like to imagine I don't have to explicitly spell this out, I love Double Fine, and I've always been a fan of Tim Schafer's work. Even Spacebase DF-9, which sadly ended up as a gravely mishandled and massive disappointment to its devoted fans (possibly the worst group you can dismay, in my mind), had great talent behind it. The project leader, J.P. LeBreton, has made some notable contributions to the Doom community, easily my single greatest video game passion, and I have great respect for him for that. The takeaway message here is that it is wholly inaccurate to factually declare some vague cheap shots as an outright scathing condemnation of a specific person or persons. To so vehemently declare this as being true is, well, about as wrong as wrong can be. You're chasing ghosts if you think POSTAL is an advocation of hate. RWS hates no one. Except maybe for former state senator Leland Yee, but that arms trafficking hypocrite already plead guilty to his charges of racketeering, so maybe he deserves it.

However, I am willing to compromise on one point. As long as we're talking spoilers, here's the big twist reveal of the next POSTAL title: In a touching scene, The Postal Dude discovers that his mother is Muslim and his father is black American. Hence, he was never a white man at all. It turns out you were a black Muslim psychopath killer all along! (Did I mention his mother was albino so the skin colors canceled each other out?) Also, Gary Coleman is actually the Dude's long lost brother. Again, spoilers, so mum's the word.
Show less

Judge Fredd 1 day ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus Slow clap*

I hope this is true, it would be the most offensively beautiful thing in the world.

salutes*

+SuperBlackJesus321 By the by, what, pray tell, is sad about the ending? I understand it's a pretty emotional breakup between a husband and wife, but I didn't think it would have such a deep and emotional impact on the audience! Remember, there's nothing unmanly about shedding a tear or two during a tearjerker!

TheTundraTerror 16 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus Don't expect Noah to reply to you. People who live and die by the SJW sword tend to ignore people who challenge their idea that only their world view exists.

wickbox 16 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus "What makes you think we hate Double Fine? What makes you think PU Games is even a proxy for DF?" =====> 59:05

u trollin

TheTundraTerror 7 hours ago
+wickbox "Making fun of someone means you hate them!"

u stupid?

wickbox 6 hours ago
+TheTundraTerror Please, then, enlighten me as to how PU is not supposed to be a proxy for DF.
·

Starrukin 6 hours ago
Perhaps Marphitimus joined RWS after postal 1 and 2 were released so his opinion is also a bit faulty, he wasn't there when the hall project conceived, was he?
·

MarphitimusBlackimus 6 hours ago
+wickbox As I said, the PU Games errand design was completed in May of 2014, and the associated mapping was done in July and August. I don't think Spacebase DF-9 was even released until October, and that's when we threw in two posters and maybe one new monitor texture to the level.

Apart from that, you can see the building filled with allusions to microtransactions, day one patches, pre-order exclusive DLC, and numerous sorts of other silly things. I'm pretty sure Double Fine has not dabbled in any of these areas, and that's quite intentional since PU is not DF nor is it any one entity. While the player may decipher real world parallels, PU is a manifestation of all game developers. Truly, one may see PU everywhere in the world today. But more than that, it's not just the PU we see on the outside but rather the PU on the inside, for PU has been in our hearts all along. Or maybe that's the colon.

Read more

Jordan Shah 5 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus Holy poo poo, moving up in the world? From QA to lead desginer :V
·

wickbox 5 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus What about this? https://imgur.com/A0SGHcu

I'm not arguing that a larger point about the messed-up ecosystem of game development wasn't being made. But being that the only two games directly parodied in PU's headquarters are DF games + the CEO is an undeniable representation of Tim Schaefer, I don't understand the claim that "the jump from PU Games to Double Fine is a lot larger than PU Games to EA Games".

MarphitimusBlackimus 5 hours ago (edited)
+wickbox The PU Games CEO is a man with who wears an ugly plaid outfit. This is a direct call back to the Apocalypse Weekend publisher CEO, Phraud Hogslop, a man who wears an ugly plaid outfit. As a famous auteur once said, it's like poetry, sort of, they rhyme. Does Schafer typically wear plaid? Does he even often wear orange? The orange color of the CEO's shirt was to match the black/orange building color scheme of PU Games as chosen by our mapper who, as I said, made the map in August. I confirmed this date with my own backups: https://twitter.com/SlappyCromwell/status/664517636005322752

For the record, this critique of my design is quite a bit more useful and constructive than what was demonstrated in the above video from whom I have yet to hear from.

Show less

Noah Caldwell-Gervais 4 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus What kind of response do you want, dude? Your posts alternate between customer outreach and straight trolling. One of my main points is that RWS reaches customers through straight trolling. Would you like me to give you a big ol' pat on the back for your paper-thin Official Explanations? You seem to be handling the back-patting pretty well internally at the company.

edub77 4 hours ago
+Noah Caldwell-Gervais

"If you would be so kind, however, I do think you should put a spoiler warning prior to revealing the ending of Paradise Lost. "

I'm sure it had something to do with that. It's common courtesy.
·

Robb_Stark 4 hours ago
+Noah Caldwell-Gervais honestly does anyone care about these guys? They are a completely trash company who's only successful games appeal to lonely gamergate white dudes. It's best to ignore them as much as possible and call them out on their bullshit when necessary.

MarphitimusBlackimus 3 hours ago (edited)
+Noah Caldwell-Gervais I figured your video was invitation to discourse. Is an open discussion not the aim here? You've proferred your views on the game developers, and now the game developers in question are here. Did you not expect feedback from those you've criticized? You're not yelling at tycoons atop their ivory towers. We're a bunch of Joe Schmo schmucks just like everyone else. Why, in retrospect, I think we may have a bit more in common than you think. (You see? I did a thing there, since that's a quote from the video which is also a thing I wrote and all.) However, I see you are choosing to entirely dismiss any rejoinder, leading me to believe I was wrong in my thinking that you wished to encourage some sort of ongoing dialog. In that regard, I can't quite ascertain what your purpose was. To vilify those you don't like and then bask in the choir you've preached to? To willfully disregard the very subjects of your video who have taken the sheer and utter audacity to defend themselves? Boy, why didn't I just have the common courtesy to roll over and die after watching this?

I have to admit, though, I do like this approach too. When I express my opinion, I only acknowledge those who agree with me and close my ears to anyone who doesn't. It's less work this way. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I'm a coward, too.

Show less

wickbox 3 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus
Wait, you're seriously claiming that the PU CEO (again, https://imgur.com/A0SGHcu ) is closer to this: http://postal.wikia.com/wiki/Phraud_Hogslop than the Tim comparison shot? Because they both wear plaid?

Maybe that was the original character design intent and the modeller took things into their own hands, but come on, look at it!

Jordan Shah 3 hours ago
Oh quit whining. It's a loving video game.
·

Noah Caldwell-Gervais 3 hours ago
+MarphitimusBlackimus How about "I played your games, didn't like them, wrote in exhaustive detail about why, and then left the comments section open for disagreement." Why are you wasting your time with this? If you actually have confidence in your product, why are you arguing with a D-list youtuber? That's why I said I had more respect for Destructive Creations, they actually don't give a poo poo what people think of their products. When you fellas sarcastically tweeted about how 'triggered' I was by your video, you said I wasn't your target demographic. Most of this video is trying to pin down who your target demographic actually is.

It's not that I expect you to roll over and die it's that you make a product that's deliberately 'offensive' and then cry crocodile tears about not being given a fair shake. You can respond however you like to this video. But I explain why I feel the way I and I'm genuinely curious as to what more you want me to say.

RWS games are about not giving a gently caress. I think giving some amount of a gently caress is better. And as has been mentioned elsewhere in the comments, you made some sales from this video.

Why is your own reponse to this video anything other than 'lol, moron'?
Edit: highlighted the developer's and Noah's comments to make it easier to read.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 12, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone remember that archive of Blip/Critic's videos that was supposed to be A Thing?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I believe the Internet Archive managed to save them. I don't know if they managed to organize them all yet.

This is correct. They are on the Internet Archive though unfortunately not in a very accessible form (at least not for now). The raw web scrapes (in Web Archive (WARC) format), amalgamated into 25GB chunks, can be found in the Archiveteam Blip collection. Unfortunately if you're looking for a specific video you would have to find the chunk it's in and the byte range within the chunk you would need to download which would require a bit of programming (or a lot of patience). The data is there though, which is a fair bit better than it disappearing altogether.

lornekates posted:

Looks like Todd might appreciate a Tweet from the goons with the backups:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/675115305178411009

Thanks for pointing that out! I tweeted him with my contact info.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Binging on Snob content: whatever happened to that movie Brad was making?

The "Shot on Shitteo" movie? Brad had a huge falling out with one of his friends that was co-starring in it and Brad didn't have the necessary "cover your rear end" legal documentation to use the footage with him in it (which was most of it) so he has declared it his own "The Day the Clown Cried," never to see public release.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Chez Apocalypse dead? It's been a long time now.

Apparently their site was built around Blip's platform and so when Blip died their site died as well. The individual producers are still making videos and still putting the Chez Apocalypse bumper at the end so I'm guessing it will come back at some point when they can get someone to recreate the site for them.

Also, Todd has a new One Hit Wonderland (for Patreons only).

vvv Edit: oops, I didn't realize. vvv

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

My definitive version will always be Moroder's.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAVS0OC6Ts

Ironically, this version of Metropolis almost became as lost as the original version. After the initial home video release (on VHS and Laserdisc) the rights became tangled up and it never made the jump to DVD. When Kino-Lorber (the company that did the 2010 restoration SF Debris looked at) got them cleared up and decided to reissue it on DVD and Blu-ray they discovered there were only 2 or 3 prints of the Moroder cut in existence. Fortunately they were still in good condition but that's cutting it pretty close. The Moroder cut has some very dedicated fans, probably owing to it being the most complete version available on home video before the 2003 restoration and its notable 80s synth soundtrack. Before the official DVD release of the Moroder cut I actually saw someone who used material from the 2003 restoration (which is mostly identical to the 2010 restoration without the 16mm footage) to recreate it as closely as possible with the improved image quality of the later restoration. Edit: It looks like his blog is still up.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 15, 2016

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/741789936102170625

I can't wait to see what the hell they watched.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 12, 2016

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Leon Thomas reviewed the Atlas Shrugged films and, surprise!, discovered that they (like the novel and the political philosophy they espouse) are complete and utter garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIISKr-SZm0

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ralph has a new video on lovely "paranormal investigator" shows. Watch it now before it gets a copyright takedown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0WFjaQ5PY

And Red Letter Media has a new re:View of Independence Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LJGPph4SM

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Related, There was suppose to be a New Best of The Worst up yesterday or today. It's being delayed for technical reasons. :( I wanna know what caused two riots dammit!

Their Patreon post for the re:View said "Also, our ill-fated new Best of the Worst will finally be up later this week."

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

lornekates posted:

Speaking of RLM, has there been any mention of Space Cop by digital download?

I'd like to see the movie, but shipping to Canada is dumb-assidly stupidly expensive for some reason.

It's on their VHX store: https://redlettermedia.vhx.tv/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Augus posted:

Hey, look what showed up in my subscription feed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DAQlmJ4q0

...oh dear.

Something must be in the air (or the DVDs just came out) since Ralph has a new video on Batman v. Superman too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxrlKqkW5IY

(Spoilers: he hates it.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you ready for the angriest No Man Sky review yet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

I'm actually in the same boat, where I paid zero attention to the hype beyond a general 'huh, big space game, cool' stuff so I have zero investment in this whole 'WE WERE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED TO' nonsense. This actually makes me want to play the game because this all sounds Extremely My poo poo

This video is amazing and everyone should watch it (though you might want to turn down your volume a bit first).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

DStecks, your Sir Billi review on YouTube has a copyright block in the US. Could please you upload it to your Vimeo account I can share it with some of my friends?

• Locked thread