Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Lindsey Ellis isn't in the OP even though we have her site right at the top? Seems kinda weird. Her outputs pretty slow these days, but I thought we liked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mischalaniouse posted:

I'm a big fan of all of his low-budget cartoon reviews, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde http://blip.tv/phelous/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-6611996 Aladdin and the Adventure of All Time http://blip.tv/phelous/aladdin-and-the-adventure-of-all-time-6646347 the other Aladdin animated movie http://blip.tv/phelous/aladdin-6223537 He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special http://blip.tv/phelous/he-man-and-she-ra-christmas-special-6713584

Aw, you left off the Beauty and the Beast review. And the other Beauty and the Beast review.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

...that's a link to the trailer for Ishtar...

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Eh... not so much Elaine May. Ishtar killed her directorial career.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Metal Loaf posted:

Beatty killed his career at the end of the 1990s when he made that romantic comedy that ended up costing $80 million.

Ahem, 90 million.

quote:

I've heard he's finally resolved the legal issues that were keeping him from making a Dick Tracy sequel the past 25 years or so, though.

And at the spry young age of 77, he should be a shoo in for it.

Finally caught up to Red Letter Media's "gently caress You, It's January." I could not be that brutally cynical even if I dedicated the rest of my life to it... but goddamn it's kind of hilarious watching them do it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Ronk a Donk posted:

Lupa released a new Baywatching -- "Nightmare Bay"!

Boom Mike is my new favorite character.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So... two things...

1. So if Craig and Gina aren't on the show anymore, where does Eddie live now?

Miss Wallace posted:

I cut out most of the scene that made the back rubbing comment make sense, because it is also creepy.

....what in god's name could the context be?!

Lupa, you are braver than I for sitting through this madness. I am perpetually amused that so little happens on the show that you can actually easily condense it to roughly 6-7 minutes of commentary.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

That was actually the first video by you that I ever watched. Because I remembered that phase my sister and her friends went through where they watched Baywatch obsessively.

Speaking of, I keep linking this show to them so they can stare in slack-jawed horror at what they used to watch.

quote:

He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???)

:aaaaa:

Now it's so much more horrifying.

Miss Wallace posted:

I also cut out most of Shauni's subplot where she goes to a bad inner city neighborhood to get the kids she rescued into the swim program.

Frankly, the way you handled her silly subplot was gold.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mr.Radar posted:

Anita Sarkeesian posted an update to the Tropes vs Women Kickstarter page providing a retrospective of the past two years (including a detailed explanation of why each video takes several months to be produced) and explaining her future vision for Feminist Frequency. It looks like Feminist Frequency will be expanding its scope and producing multiple feminist- and otherwise-progressively-oriented online video series concurrently. There are a few more details in the first Feminist Frequency annual report (one interesting tidbit: their total budget for next year is $400,000, up from $64,200 this year :stare:).

I met her last year at GDC and expressed my gratitude to her for continuing to soldier on. She's a very tiny person in real life, and she was surprisingly meek. Found out later I met her AFTER she'd been informed her presence at the event had triggered bomb threats (apparently gamers think threatening to kill game developers will make game developers more likely to treat them as the sane, rational alternative). And this was BEFORE Gamergate.

One of my colleagues at my job was making Reddit jokes and asking what it felt like to wipe the slime off my hands :smithicide: I did indeed just post this to my wall to pre-emptively shut up the next jackhole hurr-hurring about "OMG $160,000!"

I always wanted to write some kind of critique of the videos, but ever since GramerGrate I don't want to make a target out of myself again (already had one incident of stalking related to it.) I also kinda realized I can do more by just existing in this industry and not being a colossal shithead (about games.)

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I don't like to bring up my job too much, so I don't really participate in gaming threads or discussion at all here.

As for in the industry, I have to admit I don't talk to a lot of people about it at work - we all knew about it though and one of my other (female) co-workers was furious to find out about the stalking incident. I tended to find out more from keeping in touch with old co-workers and contacts - some of whom were ALSO harassed by GamerGate. The :smithicide: guy went over the top with GamerGate, even after I told him what happened to me, and there were definitely some game devs that seemed to want to take that mantle up to my eternal shame. I lost one professional relationship over it because he decided to make the issue of WOMEN RUINING MY INDUSTRY into his hill to die on. In that case, I wasn't terribly sad about that one. The general mood I got from the people I spoke with felt rather strongly against the movement since yea, whatever they claimed the movement was, the practical effect was simply random people in the industry fearing for their safety. Actually, it's very telling that most of the industry people speaking out against it publically were people like Tim Schafer that ran his own company or Anthony Burch who have some real job security behind them. Rank and file, it's always dicey to speak up on any controversy since our jobs are transitory as it is and we all know of some guy at some point that got fired for a twitter post. After the stalking incident, I got a lot more careful about it for awhile.

Most of the industry just saw the drat thing as a blight the longer it ran on. To stay a little close to this thread's purview of internet video producers, Anita Sarkeesian is polarizing here much as she is on the net at large, though I have noticed most game devs are at least willing to consider the treatment of women an actual PROBLEM even if they aren't on board with Feminist Frequency. And her presence has forced people to actually talk about it more, whether they agree with her or not. I admire her for not standing down in the middle of some unfathomable hatred - none of which is coming from us, because not one of us thinks she deserves to get chased out of her house. And don't get me started on an indie dev like Zoe Quinn who really did just become herself vs. the internet with no recourse.

Truth is, there's a lot of money to be made on women WANTING to play video games. A lot of things like what's shown up in the Tropes vs Women videos happen simply because nobody asked a simple question in the development process like "Hey... do you really think it's a good idea to use a dead prostitute as a door stop?" So devs watch Feminist Frequency and talk and argue about it because it's kind of shocking how much basic questions don't get asked because "that's just how we've always done it." And since most game devs are not actual terrible people, they will try to fix a problem when it is pointed out to them. I think the game industry is frankly better positioned to deal with it's issues with women, race, and the LGBTQ community because we don't really have this entrenched permanent power structure like, say, Hollywood. Hell, I met Anita because last year's GDC introduced a series of free "advocacy" panels that anyone with even a basic pass could attend and I bumped into her outside the #1ReasonToBe panel. They were always full or close to it - most people in the industry recognize a problem and the track wouldn't even exist if there weren't a lot of game devs wanting things to be better.

So that's my little game dev peek into GrableGrabe.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

You're welcome. I've always been a weird game dev in that FF is literally the only gaming related "show" I watch, but more because I dumped Kickstarter money into it and it's been rather influential. I'm odd in that I don't like to watch gamer-centric game review shows and even Extra Credits started to wear on me. But most game devs I know do watch game-related internet shows and there was kind of a big deal at my last studio when TotalBiscuit liked one of our games (this is before I learned he is an awful person and no one should listen to him.) But enough GamerChat.

Just caught up to Half in the Bag and I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny. But less because of the film itself and more because I kind of expected this when I saw it got all those Oscar nods and wanted to see them have another shot at it (I assume there will be one more round when it wins/doesn't win Oscars).

I don't watch RLM as much these days, though I did find a co-worker that does. I can understand why some of you guys have found the increasing angry cynicism off-putting, I just think my heart is a shriveled husk now.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Frankly, I feel like a series that talked about these kinds of games in depth, like a round table, would add a lot of the missing nuance and frankly produce a better analysis of where the games succeed and fail and ways they can improve.

But way, WAY too many people just take the minor criticism in her videos as code for "MIYAMOTO IS A TOOL OF THE PATRIARCHY!"

Speaking of, apparently I missed in those reports that she announced two more series that seem to specifically target her critics - one on the representation of men and masculinity in games and one about positive female characters.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

lornekates posted:

Did you know it took twelve years to make?

I think my favorite part was Jay getting bleeped when he tried to point out how the Up series has been running since the 60s...

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Thanks for the rec, I'm listening to it now. I pretty much stopped watching the Simpsons entirely in the early 2000s, though I've watched YouTube clips of some of their guest artist couch gags (which are probably more entertaining than the episodes they're attached to.) Aside from that, I watched the movie, really enjoyed it, then tried to not watch anything else after it to retain the good humor I had. Broke that rule when Marcia Wallace passed away. I went back and watched the "Nedna" episode and found myself surprised I enjoyed it, but I realized it was because it had some respect for the characters and had something more to do with Ned than be a really tired worn stereotype and Edna being a quick punchline. I rewatched the classic episode where Bart maintains a ruse from a personal ad and it had a similar tone of being aware of how funny someone that desperate can be while still caring enough about her that it made you sympathetic to her loneliness.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

And Boyhood :unsmigghh:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Huh, 160 new posts since last time I checked? Man, I wonder what...

quote:

GAMERGATEGRAMBLEGRATEGARBLEGABE

:smithicide:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Almost got through all the episodes of WEE, and being exposed to "Homer Face" may be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had. I didn't even know they did a Lady Gaga episode, let alone what was basically a Lady Gaga promotional piece. Even the Critic episode had decent writing and some memorable bits.

The truly amazing part is that South Park included Poker Face in an episode BEFORE the Simpsons did it... and it was funnier because it was used to highlight the apathy of the characters to a serious issue. And also because frankly Trey Parker could carry the tune better.

I just got through the episode on the Christmas special, and I'm starting at the rankings list trying to comprehend what lays before me as I see an episode ranked even lower than that. What in the hell, Al Jean, do you just not care anymore ever since The Critic failed (three times)?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Monkey Man posted:

Large Marge has a worse song playing through the credits. Who Let Her Jugs Out by the Baha Men

ohgodwhydidireadthat

quote:

The last few pages have made me seriously consider giving WEE its own thread.

I'd be all about that, just listening to it has gotten me interested in the classic Simpsons again. It's kind of weird realizing what a big deal it was when I was a kid and that it's still chugging forward even though it's downright terrible.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Hey, I made a WEE Podcast thread.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy poo poo someone else remembers The Strangerhood.

I do as well.

I had to look up Monty, but now I'm super bummed. I loved Haloid and Dead Fantasy.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Vanilla Ice is not a one-hit wonder. He got famous enough to be in a Ninja Turtles movie and have a movie of his own.

Plus he had multiple hit singles.

He was definitely a flash-in-the-pan act, but he also sold 15 million copies of his first album.

Seriously, early 90s, what was wrong with you? Bush Sr. AND Vanilla Ice?!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Rifftrax on Cool as Ice is freaking solid, by the way.

The movie itself is kind of... seriously, it's basically just lifts the plot and even several of the characters from The Wild One with Ice in the Brando role. It's always weird when these pop star projects try to construct a plot.

Also, seriously, I have no idea what was up with Nintendo's idea of perpetuating themselves in film in the early 90s, but they had to sign off on the son playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for several minutes. I mean, it's still not a patch on the Super Marios Bros. movie, but really Miyamoto, Lincoln, Yamauchi, whoever it was? Whatever, it was several minutes of the film that's just the soundtrack and sound effects of Super Mario Bros. 3, which I'd much rather hear than anything by Vanilla Ice.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would American Pie (the song) qualify?

Probably.

Speaking of, I know I've got awhile to wait, but I'm eager to see him tear into The Next Best Thing just because it also spawned that awful American Pie cover.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Wow, he sold out of those OHW pledges fast.

Here's hoping he hits his milestone, his Top Ten Worst Hit Song of 1976 is still one of my favorite videos he's ever done.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So I know this is a few pages old, but whatever, Allison, I'm loving Movie Nights and I really loved seeing you do the 90s Love Bug. I actually rented that back in the day and had almost completely forgotten about it and its made for TV goodness. Somehow I remembered that Mickey Dolenz was in it and not Bruce Campbell! I should really turn in my nerd card for that one.

I'm so glad you put up the footage about the "driving a devil car." I remember losing it back then too. I swear, having lived in that part of California for a few years since then, I think I recognized some of the roads they did the bug race on.

...actually, the whole drat Love Bug series is pretty messed up. The car keeps kidnapping people and forcing them to go on dates and stuff in the first movie too. Herbie is a hardcore shipper! Never saw the Lindsay Lohan one... probably for the best.

I feel like you seem to play better when you have another person around, the discussion was a bit strange in the first one. I assume the format is meant to mimic the idea of watching a movie with friends and chatting with them about it - I guess I'd say, act more like the audience is in the room with you too. Sometimes it seemed like you were aware of being by yourself. Well, regardless, I think you're off to a strong start.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm enjoying doing these more than I've enjoyed making OLP in years. I appreciate the feedback about it.

You definitely seem like you're having fun with these!

Gah, and of course a few hours after I wrote that, I got the Patreon preview of you going through Olsen twins VHS tapes. Man, between you and MikeJ... I'm suddenly aware of how much crazy crap that brand generated.

I actually had seen the two videos where they were detectives before. I was just on the cusp of not growing out of that phase yet, and actually the Sea World one was broadcast on television at some point because that's how I saw it. It was kind of eerie because watching the clips, I'd remember snatches of dialog from them without context and that crazy "B-U-T-T OUT!" song, but not stuff like "D'awww, grandpa set up a fake mystery for them with the help of a pack of mimes!"

I also remember there was another one where the girls investigated the "Logical I Ranch" and saw stuff they assumed was "dragon boogers". Then.... wha wha, there wasn't a dragon, it was a "Geological Site" and they were just sulfur pits!

.... so I guess the catch was they didn't really solve mysteries at all. Phelous slowly breaking as went through show after show was hilarious.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

I loved the Olsen twins growing up, but man were most of these stinkers. They are funny to revisit though, ha ha. I'm pretty sure I had a friend who was part of the fan club.

I think most girls in the 90s either had an Olsen twins phase or had a friend was into it. I guess that extended to the early 2000s as well.

Actually, it's kind of impressive that neither one of them has had some kind of dramatic self-destruction as adults given how hard they themselves were pushed as a product.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

dijon du jour posted:

You obviously missed Mary Kate's battle with anorexia and the resulting media frenzy. There was a good year where I couldn't walk past a checkout counter without seeing a picture of her looking increasingly like a skeleton.

I think she's okay now, thankfully.

Oh wow, totally forgot about that. I imagine retiring from acting probably did them both a world of good.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

DoctorWhat posted:

...people find this shtick funny?

It's more that Plinkett holds these high minded analytical opinions about Star Wars but he's literally the worst human being ever.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Someone please just post that gif where Rich Evans uses his wizard powers to unflip a table.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Rebochan posted:

Someone please just post that gif where Rich Evans uses his wizard powers to unflip a table.

Fine, I'll do it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

In other news, Rifftrax just announced their 2015 live shows Kickstarter and look what made the roster:

Okay, everyone's tackled The Room, even Rifftrax has tackled The Room (not for a live show though). But I'm fairly certain I've only seen OLP do Miami Connection though. Go Alamo Drafthouse for putting that one on the radar.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I'd just like to say, as a game dev, the reason we as an industry care about games being art is because for most of my life time (born in the 80s here), there has been the constant threat of our products being banned or legally censored for content. If they're art, they're considered free speech and have the same protections as any lovely movie or book gets. If they're products, they don't get poo poo.

Legally, thanks to a SCOTUS decision, they are considered art.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Meanwhile, SF Debris covers Sub Rosa, also known as the Star Trek episode where Crusher gets boned by the ghost of her grandma's lover.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t266.php

Come on people, this is low hanging fruit! This was the episode about GHOST SEX.

...actually, I still haven't watched much of SF Debris, so I guess it says something about how much I hate this episode to come and watch him tackle this. I... really need to watch the rest of his stuff. Any recommendations on where to start?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Three two three four, four two three AND!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Did you know it took Boyhood 12 years to win a single Oscar?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

New Baywatching went up on Patreon. I'm going to be very sad when Billy Warlock finally leaves the show and I lose my regular dose of Eddie abuse.

By the way, Allison, thanks for bringing up the weird plot hole about Eddie's living situation!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

OldTennisCourt posted:

Kimble Justice did his Streets of Rage retrospective a little while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPfL4jsZvg

Streets of Rage might be my favorite Genesis game series, I played 2 constantly and 3 a lot too. I was never a fan of 1, I guess the lack of enemy health bars kind of bugged me.

Oh man, I don't have time to watch this right now, but I didn't even own a Genesis and I looooooved Streets of Rage. Played it at a friends house.

Hey Sega, stop making GBS threads out stupid Sonic games and bring back Streets of Rage.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

gently caress it, I made time. I don't watch a lot of gamer shows, period. But if all the videos are going to be this good, I have SERIOUSLY neglected Kim Justice, and right now, if you are reading this, I am going to apologize for not watching your show before. All of a sudden it was the 90s again and I was at my buddy's house again.

Lichtenstein posted:

I saw the Ishtar trailer in a dream and am not sure how to feel about it.

I think it's wonderful.

Infamous Sphere posted:

The actor's name was Billy Warlock? BILLY WARLOCK?

Yup. A name he could never live up to (stealing a joke from Baywatching.)

And this is what he was up to BEFORE Baywatch...

Yep. He was the REPLACEMENT SCOTT BAIO.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Is this the oasis? Yea, look at the birds.

Are those vultures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Half the reason I listen to Internet Critics is because they tend to dig up stuff I never would have thought of.

... like Brows Held High. Actually, I always meant to check out F for Fake, because I remain endlessly fascinated by people like Elmyr de Hory and Clifford Irving who pulled off such audacious hoaxes.

... and Orson Wells is probably one of my favorite people in history because he was both very talented and had really kind of an amazingly crazy persona. Like, there's never really been anyone like him. Made the greatest movie of all time and got drunk off his rear end in a wine commercial.

• Locked thread