Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Light novels (LNs) are a form of Japanese literature usually aimed at middle- and high-school students, and as the name suggests, are usually fairly short in length.
Web novels are essentially freelance literature similar to LNs, but are not published and are usually hosted on the author's own website or blog. When a web novel becomes popular enough, it is not uncommon for it to get published as a bonafide LN.
Most web novels originate from a Japanese web novel publishing portal called Shousetsuka ni Narou (Let's Become Authors), where amateurs get to post their fledgling works chapter by chapter, and visitors can read them for free. Readership is then collected into site-wide rankings, and a bunch of the top titles have become so popular that regular publishing houses like Kadokawa have made deals to print them as paper light novels. Curiously most still remain available online with regular updates.

Popular works at the moment include:

Mushoku Tensei:
An otaku disowned by his family with nothing left to lose saves some schoolkids from a truck accident, and wakes up as a baby in a fantasy world. Determined to actually make something of himself in this second chance at life, our protagonist quickly becomes proficient in magic. One of the most popular web novels with about 21 volumes, with up-to-date translations. The turning-point chapters always throw a pretty considerable wrench in the works with the story, and a lot of them are completely unexpected developments entirely, which is pretty cool. The MC does get a bit creepy at times, you have been warned.
[Reincarnation] [Harem] [Seinen] [Fantasy] [Action] [Adventure]

Only Sense Online:
Yun is a novice MMO player who equipped only unpopular skills labelled as garbage. However, soon after everyone started to notice the “Strongest” play style which made full use of Support Magic and Items——?!
[Adventure] [Fantasy] [MMO] [Gender Bender] [Sci-fi] [Shounen]

Overlord:
In the last moments of once-popular VRMMO Yggdrasil, Momonga waits patiently in the halls of his guild hideout awaiting for the inevitable server shutdown. When the forced disconnect never happens, Momonga discovers that a lot has changed from the game he knew so well.
[Fantasy] [MMO] [Seinen] [Action] [Adventure] [Supernatural]

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou:
Among the class that was transported to another world, Nagumo Hajime is an ordinary male student who doesn't have ambition nor aspiration in life, called "Incompetent" by his classmates. The class is summoned to become heroes and save a country from destruction, students of the class are blessed with cheat specs and cool job classes, but that's not the case with Hajime, his job class is a "Synergist" and his stats are very normal (mediocre). "Synergist," to put it in another word is just the artisan class. Being the weakest, he then falls to the depth of the abyss when he and his classmates are exploring a dungeon. What did he find in the depth of the abyss and can he survive?
[Action] [Adventure] [Fantasy] [Harem] [Seinen] [Comedy?] [Psychological?]

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari:
Iwatani Naofumi is summoned to another world to become one of the four heroes, namely the Shield Hero. Starting out with poor popularity and labeled as the weakest, Naofumi found himself betrayed on the third day of his adventure. Broke, framed and ridiculed, all that's left is just his shield.
Referred to as 'Shield Hero'. I haven't got around to reading the novels yet, but I follow the manga and that gets talked about a bit in the Seinen thread. If you've read the manga I'm sure you know what to expect from this.
[Action] [Adventure] [Fantasy] [Seinen] [Romance?]

Knights and Magic:
After an unfortunate traffic accident, our mecha enthusiast and ace programmer MC is reincarnated into the world of his dreams; magic-powered mecha suits (called Silhouette Knights) are the main trump card for humans to fight back against demon beasts approaching their lands and settlements.
This one only has one volume in English so far, I'm really hoping someone who can translate from Japanese picks this series up so we can get more great moments where the MC nerds it out mid-fight like "Only robots can destroy other robots!" :allears:
[Mecha] [Reincarnation] [Fantasy] [Action] [Adventure] [School life] [Romance?]

There was a cute girl in the Hero Party, so I tried confessing:
A boy, Youki, is reincarnated as a demon mini-boss in a fantasy world, but when the Hero Party comes to kill the Demon Lord, he falls in love with the cute cleric Cecilia. This love at first sight causes a problem as he is no longer a human, but part of the demon enemy she was sent to defeat. What on Earth will happen when he tries confessing to her?
A simple premise with short chapters, a very light-hearted read about a guy who got reincarnated as a plain-looking demon who tries to win a girl's heart.
[Action] [Adventure] [Reincarnation] [Romance] [Fantasy] [Shounen] [Chuunibyou]

Souen no Historia:
Souji dies, saves the life of a girl he's never met before, only wake up as a child of a maid in a world where magic exists. At a young age Souji is introduced to Yoyo, the daughter of an information broker, whom he will serve as a butler in years to come. Imagine if Ayasaki Hayate (Hayate no Gotoku) learnt magic and didn't forget the 'combat butler' part of the series' title.
[Action] [Fantasy] [Reincarnation] [Harem] [Shounen]

Credits to Darkgray for a bunch of stuff I recycled for the OP, hope you don't mind.
As you can see, reincarnation/MMO-based stuff is really prevalent at the moment, but if there's anything different out there feel free to chat about it.

:siren: Tag your spoilers please :siren:
Giving out a basic summary is fine, but anything super-important is a no-go. If it was something that surprised you when you first read it, it's probably a spoiler and should be tagged as such so others can stumble across it at their own leisure (or ruin it for themselves by mousing over it unknowingly).

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A lot of the web novels I've read are pretty similar in terms of the broad strokes. Also most of them are terrible. Out of the ones in the OP I'd at least strongly recommend not reading Arifureta, or dropping it as soon as they hit the bottom of the labyrinth. I also dropped Souen no HIstoria but maybe I'll give it another look, first few chapters were terrible.

Mushoku Tensei is not something I can recommend either. I might recommend the first couple of volumes but the later stuff gets way too sexual and I'm not sure whether it's worth it to continue. The sunk cost is the only thing that would keep me reading.

Knights and Magic is probably the one I'm most excited for. Good and clean first volume.

I like Overlord so far, hopefully the series doesn't get too long because it seems like the kind of series that can't keep going long-term. It's getting an anime so that could be cool.

Tate no Yuusha is really good but I'm about halfway through the novel by chapter count (something like 180) and I stalled because I couldn't see where the series was going. I'm going to catch up eventually.

For ones not mentioned in the OP:

Tsuyokute New Saga is starting out well enough. Instead of reincarnation a hero who barely defeats the demon lord gets sent back in time a few years to before the start of the demon invasion. Think a new game+ run of a game with a strategy guide.

E? Heibon Desu yo?? is one that I want to like, and I want it to turn out well. Its spin on the reincarnation story is that it's a girl, instead of some shounen protagonist with combat cheats. I'm hoping it will be less combat focused but there isn't a lot to judge it on so far.

There are also two Korean novels I can recommend, they're similar in format to light novels so I figure they belong here.

Legendary Moonlight Sculptor follow a money-obsessed power gamer playing a massive VRMMO. The story structure can be a bit repetitive but it has some really nice spins on ideas. I don't think it launched the genre but as far as I know it's the most popular of its kind in Korea by a large margin, with something like 44 volumes out.

Ark is very similar to LMS but doesn't follow a sculptor. It does some things differently and I think it's worth recommending to anyone who likes LMS.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Are you sure that isn't just the same book with eight different titles?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

A lot of the web novels I've read are pretty similar in terms of the broad strokes. Also most of them are terrible. Out of the ones in the OP I'd at least strongly recommend not reading Arifureta, or dropping it as soon as they hit the bottom of the labyrinth.
What happens to make it turn to poo poo? (Please save me from eventually reading it if it is)
Souen's pace took a bit to pick up, but it's not too bad. Knights and Magic can't be translated soon enough, although the guy who did the first volume can only TL from Chinese, and even they haven't gone any further than vol1 :(

Heibon Desu yo is the one about the girl who is reincarnated as a noble, right? I wasn't too sure about that one but I may give it a try once I'm up-to-date on Overlord.

HorseRenoir posted:

Are you sure that isn't just the same book with eight different titles?
Welcome to Japanese young adult literature, where the plot summaries are the same and the titles are longer than the average Opeth song!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I feel like most of these titles are just Sword Art Online fanfic.

Are there any light novels with female MCs?? So far it's just been normal/otaku/loser/MMO player dude. If not, guess I'll just google myself :v:

edit: oh there's one I'll check that out.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"Normal guy wakes up in a fantasy MMO world" jesus christ how tragic must the lives of these authors be to repeatedly comprise this story?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Compendium posted:

Are there any light novels with female MCs?? So far it's just been normal/otaku/loser/MMO player dude. If not, guess I'll just google myself :v:

ahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhhahaaaaaaahahahhahaha

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Ahahahaha this Tensei thing is loving hilarious, and not in a good way. Once a creepy otaku, always a creepy otaku.

quote:

Lilia was afraid of this baby by instinct. Just when did it start?

It was probably the moment when he disappeared and was later found.

In most places, Rudeus was found smiling.

Sometimes he'd be looking at the vegetables, staring at the dancing candles' flames, or just looking at panties that hadn't been washed.

Rudeus mumbled sounds and showed a smile that made people feel disgusted.

It was a smile that naturally disgusted people.

When Lilia was working in the concubine palace, she'd had to go to the main palace for her missions. The higher ranked nobles that she met there had similar smiles.

Bald-headed with a fat shaking stomach, staring-at-Lilia's-chest type of smile. Compared with a baby who was born not long ago.

The scariest thing was carrying Rudeus up.

Rudeus nostrils would flare up, the corners of his mouth would rise, and his breathing would quicken as he buried his face into her chest.

And then he would make strange noises, as if hiding his own laughter, with [Huuu] and [Orhhh] in between those sounds.

In that instant, Lilia's whole body would be assaulted by a terrible shivering cold.

And she couldn't help but want to throw the baby and smash him into the ground.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

icantfindaname posted:

ahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhhahaaaaaaahahahhahaha

You laugh, but I've liked the Railgun series for a while. It's a spinoff from a LN harem thing featuring one of the harem members as the main character. But Misaka is fun to watch as a Problem Solving Teen with superpowers hanging out having superpowered adventures with her friends.

Only seen the anime and read the manga, and apparently the main body of work is spergy as gently caress, but at least something of this sort exists and has a market.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

HiveCommander posted:

What happens to make it turn to poo poo? (Please save me from eventually reading it if it is)

The main character becomes a massive edgelord, the series goes full harem, and it's just embarrassing to read. If it were a better written story just up to the end of the labyrinth with the same idea it might have been good.

HiveCommander posted:

Heibon Desu yo is the one about the girl who is reincarnated as a noble, right? I wasn't too sure about that one but I may give it a try once I'm up-to-date on Overlord.

There's not a whole lot of it out yet. I am cautiously optimistic.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

You laugh, but I've liked the Railgun series for a while. It's a spinoff from a LN harem thing featuring one of the harem members as the main character. But Misaka is fun to watch as a Problem Solving Teen with superpowers hanging out having superpowered adventures with her friends.
Except for Saten. No superpowered adventures for her :smith:

Desuwa posted:

The main character becomes a massive edgelord, the series goes full harem, and it's just embarrassing to read. If it were a better written story just up to the end of the labyrinth with the same idea it might have been good.
Being an edgelord can work if the character has a suitably dumb name. Please tell the MC at least has a name like Edge Maverick :allears:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

SorcerousHam posted:

Ahahahaha this Tensei thing is loving hilarious, and not in a good way. Once a creepy otaku, always a creepy otaku.

How much self-loathing do you have to have when even your idealized Gary Stu version of yourself is utterly repulsive

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
'Edgelord' is a loving great descriptor though and if it never gives us anything else at least this thread gave us that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I have read a sad number of these in my more bored moments.

Only Sense Online is kinda cool I guess? It doesn't really take itself that seriously.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only light novels I have read are Baccano, Durarara and Vamp and they were all pretty good, so I was surprised when it turned out basically every other light novel was a harem series starring the author as a perfect teenage rear end in a top hat. Coincidentally all three of the series I've read were written by the same guy, Ryohgo Narita and he is pretty cool and more people should read his stuff. The translations are even mostly competent, with 4 of the Baccano novels being translated by a professional. Seriously, if you've got some free time you should read Baccano, it is an entertaining read. (Just try and avoid the Baka-tsuki translations when possible. And be prepared to skip a couple novels as they weren't translated chronologically, it's not that big a deal since the books are only vaguely connected anyway.)

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Considering how utter poo poo western fans are at actually paying for things due to fan-translation entitlement complexes, I have little hope for this post. In the case of someone reading this and thinking "I'd like to actually support releases in the west in case none of my favorite show is ever produced so I can see how it goes," I'll talk a bit about what Yen Press is doing.

In the late 2000s, the manga companies in the US decided to chance translating light novels in addition to manga. Due to the much larger amount of text, novels cost a lot more to translate, thus raising the amount needed to sell in order to get a profit. At that time, there wasn't an audience for novels like Full Metal Panic and Shakugan no Shana, so retailers had to send back a lot of stock and wouldn't buy any more light novels. Thus the companies besides Yen Press decided to halt bringing over any more novels.

However, in 2008 Yen licensed two of the more popular novels and have been releasing them since 2009: The Haruhi Suzumiya series (caught up as of 2013), and the Spice and Wolf series (3 more books to go, will finish in 2015). Since then, Yen has gradually added more novels until last year when they unveiled the "Yen On" label for their light novels henceforth. Originally planned to only release 24 novels in 2015 (ie, 24 more than EVERYONE ELSE besides Vertical), they have gone way over that amount as of August. Here's their catalog:

Haruhi Suzumiya
Spice and Wolf
Book Girl
Kieli
My Girlfriend's a Geek
Another
(Yen On started)
Sword Art Online
Accel World
A Certain Magical Index
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
Sword Art Online Progressive
Kagerou Daze
Log Horizon
No Game No Life
Pandora Hearts Caucus Race
The Devil is a Part-Timer
The Isolator
Durarara!!
Black Bullet
Strike the Blood
(and continuing)

Yen has invested a lot of money into LNs lately, so in case you want to see what happens to a story after the advertisement has finished, you may want to support these. Otherwise you're stuck with lovely translations (including mine) that do nothing for the staff who actually produce your favorite story. Again, I have utterly little hope for anyone here or elsewhere in the fandom because we're all entitled, spoiled jerks now, but here's an effortpost anyways.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wait, you translate?
That's pretty cool, I keep forgetting there's actual contributors amongst Goons since I stopped following the SWTOR thread.

Serious post, I knew some stuff like SAO was getting official LN releases, but didn't expect Yen Press to have that much variety. I thought it'd only be big-name stuff like SAO, AoT etc. Good to know there is some official stuff out there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly didn't realise anyone was officially translating LN's and I've avoided the fan translated stuff like the plague. Gonna pick up Spice & Wolf when payday rolls around again.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

HiveCommander posted:

Wait, you translate?
That's pretty cool, I keep forgetting there's actual contributors amongst Goons since I stopped following the SWTOR thread.

Serious post, I knew some stuff like SAO was getting official LN releases, but didn't expect Yen Press to have that much variety. I thought it'd only be big-name stuff like SAO, AoT etc. Good to know there is some official stuff out there.

I used to translate novels (main editor of the fan-translated Haruhi 10/11 novels (my first TL work and ugh, it shows) and sole translator of the Chu2koi novels (some parts I'm proud of)) and staff interviews/background information about shows, mostly KyoAni since I love a lot of their works. The entitlement among fans for free and horrible fan-translations when there's good quality official ones (most of the Accel World TL is absolutely excellent) available has started to irk me, so I'm hesitant to post anymore of my work.

Vertical is the only other publisher really doing novels, but a lot of their stuff hasn't been announced, so I only focused on Yen. They're doing more niche stuff, but they also have the AoT novels published as well. I'm not a huge fan of that franchise, so I can't say how good the TLs are. I may do a quick write-up on their stuff later (Yen is fresher in my mind, so most of that was from memory).

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Are ebook versions of these available for purchase anywhere? I'd love to support the authors and publishers, but I just don't realistically see myself buying a bunch of physical books. If there are ebooks available I'm not seeing them, which is a shame.

E: Now that I think about it, how much would a LN lose if it were read on a boring basic-tier Kindle? I know they have illustrations, but I have no idea how detailed, frequent, or colorful they are.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I only have ever read one light novel, and that's All You Need Is Kill, coming off from the high I had when Edge Of Tomorrow turned out to be pretty bloody amazing. It's a very good read, and worth checking out, and you can even get an officially published paperback in english (or on Kindle I guess) and everything.

Aside from that though, I don't know jack about LNs, is there anything else in that vein available, either fan translated or official floating around? Not necessarily in the whole groundhog day sense, just something focused on a single character in a war story, something like that.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I like that they aren't just focusing on the Next Big Thing, some less popular stuff being in their catalog is nice to see.
Translating stuff that isn't on the radar for localization might not have that sort of effect, but that's just a guess. I'd rather read a poorly-phrased translation than spend an hour trying to piece together a page at a time through Google Translate or something, and I gave up on machine translators for VNs that haven't even been fan-TL'd since the things are so finnicky and the unintentionally hilarious Engrish that they can throw out isn't worth the effort.
Basically I'm super appreciative of people who put in their own personal time and effort to translate for the rest of us that don't know the language.

glomkettle posted:

Are ebook versions of these available for purchase anywhere? I'd love to support the authors and publishers, but I just don't realistically see myself buying a bunch of physical books. If there are ebooks available I'm not seeing them, which is a shame.

E: Now that I think about it, how much would a LN lose if it were read on a boring basic-tier Kindle? I know they have illustrations, but I have no idea how detailed, frequent, or colorful they are.
They can vary a bit, but generally they're nowhere near as illustration-heavy as graphic novels. Depending on the novel, there's usually something like 6-10 per volume. I haven't found any that really go over that amount, but I don't doubt they exist.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

glomkettle posted:

E-books vary pending on Japanese publisher (yes, it's more complicated than "KADOKAWA!!!!!!!") and how much those digital rights can be. Most of the newer titles come from Ascii Media Works's Dengeki Bunko label, which is the top selling label for light novels in Japan. Yen struggled to get digital rights to those titles (like SAO, Spice and Wolf, AW), but they finally got some with Durarara!!, Black Bullet, and Strike the Blood. It remains to be seen if they'll get the ability to add them to the past titles, but they definitely want to (they added digital copies to Haruhi after v7 went digital same-day). Other publishers make it easier for Yen like SB Creative and GAGAGA Bunko's Dungeon title, which instantly went digital.

In short, Yen's trying to provide digital copies as a way to future-proof things, but the market is still growing and the rights may be too much for such a small market now. Remember that LNs did horrible in the past, so even getting physical copies is an improvement of immense proportions. (and yes, there's the illegal method that gives you a poor translation)

Illustrations vary. You typically get 2-3 double-page color illustrations at the start of a book and then anywhere from 4-10 monochrome illustrations after, similar to how manga volumes have the color pages at the start before going monochrome. Shouldn't be much of a loss for kindle, but I've not checked personally (I already bought Haruhi 3x, I'm not buying a 4th copy).

HiveCommander posted:

I like that they aren't just focusing on the Next Big Thing, some less popular stuff being in their catalog is nice to see.
Translating stuff that isn't on the radar for localization might not have that sort of effect, but that's just a guess. I'd rather read a poorly-phrased translation than spend an hour trying to piece together a page at a time through Google Translate or something, and I gave up on machine translators for VNs that haven't even been fan-TL'd since the things are so finnicky and the unintentionally hilarious Engrish that they can throw out isn't worth the effort.
Basically I'm super appreciative of people who put in their own personal time and effort to translate for the rest of us that don't know the language.

With the Yen On titles, they're trying to hook readers with titles that had/have anime recently as those are the kind who are more likely to impulse buy than of something random like "The Girl Sleeping in the Ocean Bookcase" (new title next month for Dengeki Bunko). Again, it's important to show retailers that you're getting buyers. Most manga/novel sales of these types are still done in physical bookstores, so ordering from Amazon makes little of an impact now.

I used to be appreciative of the fan-translations, but the entitlement of fans (especially when Yen picks up a title that was fan-translated) has pushed me against them now just due to the fandom whining about stupid things like "why can't they catch up to the fan-translations faster?!" "why aren't they starting with the newest novel?!". Titles that aren't likely to come over (like FMP/Shana) are fine though.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i liked the kyo ani staff interviews and stuff you translated ultimatemegax.

also it is really cool the amount of stuff Yen Press has picked up

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

I used to be appreciative of the fan-translations, but the entitlement of fans (especially when Yen picks up a title that was fan-translated) has pushed me against them now just due to the fandom whining about stupid things like "why can't they catch up to the fan-translations faster?!" "why aren't they starting with the newest novel?!". Titles that aren't likely to come over (like FMP/Shana) are fine though.
Speaking of titles unlikely to come over, I don't suppose you have contacts would be willing to pick up Knights and Magic? Skythewood was looking for someone to hand it over to since he can't find vol2 in Chinese, which has stalled it for a good few months.

On the Yen Press discussion, here's to hoping they get the E-book format going sooner rather than later. Being Australian it's pretty hard to find less-mainstream stuff and shipping books here costs a fortune :australia:

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

HiveCommander posted:

Speaking of titles unlikely to come over, I don't suppose you have contacts would be willing to pick up Knights and Magic? Skythewood was looking for someone to hand it over to since he can't find vol2 in Chinese, which has stalled it for a good few months.

On the Yen Press discussion, here's to hoping they get the E-book format going sooner rather than later. Being Australian it's pretty hard to find less-mainstream stuff and shipping books here costs a fortune :australia:

I don't have many contacts in fan-translating, so that wouldn't be feasible for me.

Book Depository has free shipping to Australia, so that's your best option. They carry all of Yen and Vertical's novels, so that's a start.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just bought all of the Spice & Wolf novels for myself as a Christmas present, and I can honestly say that I have never been more satisfied. The Yen Press translations are good stuff, folks, and it's more than worthwhile just to see what happens after the anime finishes.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Cheers for the link though, free shipping isn't something I'm used to seeing where books are involved. It's hard to call $15 unreasonable when I've paid more for manga before

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Overlord is interesting so far, I am about done with the first volume. It seems like it could be a really solid swords and sorcery empire builder novel, if the author can stop himself from being pulled into the harem comedy he is halfheartedly setting up.

The intro before the game became a world, is very solid. If you swapped things around so your thought it was reality at first and then the twist was that it was a game all along you would have a solid twilight zone episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

I just bought all of the Spice & Wolf novels for myself as a Christmas present, and I can honestly say that I have never been more satisfied. The Yen Press translations are good stuff, folks, and it's more than worthwhile just to see what happens after the anime finishes.

I did the same for Sword Art Online, and now the wait begins for book 4. :sigh:

Now that I realize there's more I think I'll definitely start looking into others.

My Girlfriend's a Geek by the title alone seems like a good start. :smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are so many goofy sounding translated lines, some of which I can't imagine sounded much better in Japanese. This one in particular stood out: "She had a straight bridge nose that was small, and thin lips of Sakura colors arranged to perfection."

How can lips be "arranged to perfection"?

edit:

"When everyone was seated, with amazing timing, the maids entered pushing carts. Yeah, real maids! Not like those fat Obaa-sans maids that plagued the earth. These were real and true beautiful woman, beautiful women maids that embodied the dreams of a man."

edit2: hahahha

"Aiko-sensei was angry. She was a very popular social studies teacher that was 25 years old. She had a baby like face with her 150 cm height. Her hair was done in a bob cut."

Good god, every single female gets a short paragraph detailing what they look like, including the teacher (and this is also the second time they mentioned that she's 25 years old).

I like how this otaku guy clearly has a better understanding of the reality of war than all the other "normal" students.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, when I hit the University arc in Mushoku Tensei I felt like throwing my monitor through a window. It wasn't spectacular until then, but the incredibly retarded Fitts-senpai bullshit that drags out for a year after it is blatantly obvious who Fitts is a few sentences into the arc just annoyed me to no end. I'm on volume 18 and the fact that the MC still constantly goes "Well, everyone else is better than me" is so incredibly dumb.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ultimatemegax posted:

Haruhi Suzumiya
Book Girl
Kieli
Another

I have paid money for these things, they are good.

I really dig bungaku shoujo.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The only LNs I've read are SNAFU (S2 could be great if it covers the material I think it will) and Gekkou. Maybe I'll get started on The Empty Box & the Zeroth Maria and Our Journey to the End of the Ceasing World, heard good things about them.

As far as licensed stuff, I've read the NHK novel, but that's not really an LN, it just has the ABe illustration on the cover. Right now, the Book Girl series and ADTRW's 2013 AOTY are piquing my interest.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 14, 2015

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm a few months behind, so it may have jumped the shark in the meantime, but I've enjoyed reading the Chinese light novels Legend of the Sun Knight. It's a part-comedy part-serious fantasy story about the leader of the Church of the God of Light's twelve knights, the Sun Knight. The setting is (intentionally) derivative, but its a fun read.

Here's where you can find the chapters, the translation is almost done: http://www.princerevolution.org/sunknight-main/sunknight-chapterlist/

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I've been reading Mokushiroku Arisu recently (3 volumes released, all 3 translated). I picked it up mostly for it's protagonist who is kind of a huge dick to everyone and because it seems to be a tiny bit outside the norm for LNs. The plot starts out fairly dark (also sprinkled with Alice in Wonderland references) but by the end it gets decidedly more generic for better or worse. The setting is interesting, how it handles magic, how magic is acquired and applied is pretty cool, the strong point of the books is the setting in my opinion. Most people probably pick it up because it's edgelord click-bait with the whole 'Kill the girl, save the world' premise but I spent an hour or two reading it and it was good enough to keep me reading to the end and ultimately dropping like :10bux: on a physical copy from amazon.jp so take that however you like.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Desuwa posted:

Mushoku Tensei is not something I can recommend either. I might recommend the first couple of volumes but the later stuff gets way too sexual and I'm not sure whether it's worth it to continue. The sunk cost is the only thing that would keep me reading.
Is that the one where the guy reincarnates as a goblin that can eat anything? Supposedly the translation group actually wrote their own sex scenes and inserted them without telling anyone. I have no idea if it's true or not.

At the moment, the list of LNs that don't involve one of A) an otaku main character who may or may not B) be reincarnated/trapped/transported to a fantasy world/MMO where C) he develops a vast harem appears to consist of Spice & Wolf, and Baccano-guy's stuff. Oh, and All You Need is Kill I guess. Irrespective of quality and availability of professional translations could we get a list of stuff that doesn't include any of those things?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I like to imagine there are Japanese people shaking their fists about how light novels were better back when it was all Slayers and 12 Kingdoms and Kino's Journey.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rangpur posted:

Is that the one where the guy reincarnates as a goblin that can eat anything? Supposedly the translation group actually wrote their own sex scenes and inserted them without telling anyone. I have no idea if it's true or not.
That's Re:Monster, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jellycat posted:

I like to imagine there are Japanese people shaking their fists about how light novels were better back when it was all Slayers and 12 Kingdoms and Kino's Journey.
i am not japanese but i am doing this

well, except about 12 kingdoms

• Locked thread