Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Ottumon posted:

Legendary Moonlight Sculptor has a strange charm to it. The prose or translation is nothing to write home about, but there's also nothing aggressively bad about it. It's... mediocre in most aspects, I think, but I still like the author's enthusiasm. It's like a 6-year-old kid describing his dream game in a very :3: way. The Geomchis are awesome, but I don't really care about most other intermissions. Thankfully the author keeps them very brief so I don't feel like I have to skip a lot.

It's pretty cool so far, but I'm dreading that at some point it will just go down the light novel harem drain. Is this a thing that happens, or does it keep chill all the way through?

Not a harem but the Seoyoon stuff gets creepy enough. I just finished volume 20 and it ended on a scene that did shock me. Not as bad as most LNs (yet) but I'd found LMS to be really low, though not completely free of it, on creep before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Are there any good horror LNs? Stuff like Digital Devil Story, that sort of thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Finished Mokushiroku Arisu. That cliffhanger at the end of vol3 :stare: I really want to find out what happens next. Also, is it just me or is it pretty obvious that the person Shiro is after is the genius that made Holy Sword?

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Not a harem but the Seoyoon stuff gets creepy enough. I just finished volume 20 and it ended on a scene that did shock me. Not as bad as most LNs (yet) but I'd found LMS to be really low, though not completely free of it, on creep before that.

Eh. There's still a long way to go until I'm there. Hopefully it'll keep the humor up. Geomchis are still the best. Other than the at-times godawful translation, my biggest peeve is the numbers. The author, on some deep level, doesn't really seem to get numbers. It's like he tosses in whatever he feels like. It makes keeping track of time really hard too, since there's some sort of faster gametime going on, and it's never obvious whether they spent 36 in-game or real hours grinding. You can't even go for the common sense option of obviously in-game hours since the author earlier threw out something like "Weed once spent over 200 hours straight playing Continent of Magic!"

It's not a very important issue, but it's really confusing when you stop and think about it. I get that VR games are a Big Thing in the setting's future, but really, $4200 for a mid-level unique weapon? Was there a period of hyperinflation in Korea where money's value dropped to a thousandth? Are they living on a different planet, since Weed mentioned something about working 6000 hours in a month? :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I mentioned this in another thread, but the basic premise of lms just plain doesn't work. Weed exhausted himself working menial jobs as his family's sole support, so exactly when did he have time for all those absurd marathon sessions in that non-vr mmo?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The prologue to Vol 2 of Knight's and Magic was translated:
http://skythewood.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I mentioned this in another thread, but the basic premise of lms just plain doesn't work. Weed exhausted himself working menial jobs as his family's sole support, so exactly when did he have time for all those absurd marathon sessions in that non-vr mmo?

That's a really good point. I guess it is indeed set on another planet where a month has 6000 hours! To be honest, I didn't pay much attention and forgot most of the first chapter. Either because of the writing style or translation, the human drama of Weed having to work his rear end off in sweatshops didn't interest me at all. I mostly think of it just as a way for the author to easily give Weed an appreciation of hard work and the value of money. And sewing skills too, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ottumon posted:

That's a really good point. I guess it is indeed set on another planet where a month has 6000 hours! To be honest, I didn't pay much attention and forgot most of the first chapter. Either because of the writing style or translation, the human drama of Weed having to work his rear end off in sweatshops didn't interest me at all. I mostly think of it just as a way for the author to easily give Weed an appreciation of hard work and the value of money. And sewing skills too, I guess.

It doesn't really bother me much, actually. The contradictory background stuff is directly related to Weed's personality, so even though it makes no sense it is necessary to the story. Lms is a blatant wish-fulfillment fantasy, only unlike the vast majority of light novels that fantasy is to have great big adventures in a vr game so advanced it is basically magic. Most of the rest is awkwardly translated jokes and grinding. The most obvious example of the harem poo poo not being important is that Weed became good friends with his first party, but none of the girls in that group fell madly in love with him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 22, 2015

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Ottumon posted:

Eh. There's still a long way to go until I'm there. Hopefully it'll keep the humor up. Geomchis are still the best. Other than the at-times godawful translation, my biggest peeve is the numbers. The author, on some deep level, doesn't really seem to get numbers. It's like he tosses in whatever he feels like. It makes keeping track of time really hard too, since there's some sort of faster gametime going on, and it's never obvious whether they spent 36 in-game or real hours grinding. You can't even go for the common sense option of obviously in-game hours since the author earlier threw out something like "Weed once spent over 200 hours straight playing Continent of Magic!"

It's not a very important issue, but it's really confusing when you stop and think about it. I get that VR games are a Big Thing in the setting's future, but really, $4200 for a mid-level unique weapon? Was there a period of hyperinflation in Korea where money's value dropped to a thousandth? Are they living on a different planet, since Weed mentioned something about working 6000 hours in a month? :shrug:

You can see traces of that korean mentality all over the story. Starting from when Weed started out in the dojo "for a month straight!"
e; by Korean mentality I mean the beleif that when its good to do something for one hour, it must be ten times better to do so ten hours straight. See crams chools in Korea etc.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

The prologue to Vol 2 of Knight's and Magic was translated:
http://skythewood.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html
Now this is a good sign!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Good lord the quality of the LN translations vary widely. Some are excellent and some look to be pure machine translation.

quote:

Naofumi: "Even though the level reset was unexpected, was a stretcher not necessary?"
Sadina: "Such frail making was not carried out!"
Fohl: "My body feels pretty heavy since I can't move."
Naofumi: "It was like you."

Ah, yes, the frail making.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So today I learned that Kenkyo Kenjitsu o motto ni Ikite orimasu is a thing- a light novel with a protagonist who learns that she's mysteriously been reincarnated as the evil 'ohohoho' laughing villainess of her favorite shoujo manga and is determined to be a decent person so she doesn't hit that character's bad ending. Sadly only like 4 chapters of the first volume of been translated but just the premise is amazing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is Wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon worth a flick through? I'm a sucker for the Durarara illustrator and that caught my eye.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm trying to find Modern Magic Made Simple as I was reorganizing my Music collection and found the OP of it, which reminded me that this was a vastly underrated anime and now that I realize there's a light novel series behind it I want to read it now so bad.

It's basically Magic as Computer programming, which is one of my favourite things, with a female lead and is generally pretty chill.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

unseenlibrarian posted:

So today I learned that Kenkyo Kenjitsu o motto ni Ikite orimasu is a thing- a light novel with a protagonist who learns that she's mysteriously been reincarnated as the evil 'ohohoho' laughing villainess of her favorite shoujo manga and is determined to be a decent person so she doesn't hit that character's bad ending. Sadly only like 4 chapters of the first volume of been translated but just the premise is amazing.

That sounds legit amazing and at least it's not another dope guy protag.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Compendium posted:

That sounds legit amazing and at least it's not another dope guy protag.

I think I'll check it out as well, even better if the situation is actually legitimately pushing her in that direction so there's conflict.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished 'All You Need Is Kill' kind of surprised that the movie actually expands on the book rather than the other way around.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm trying to find Modern Magic Made Simple as I was reorganizing my Music collection and found the OP of it, which reminded me that this was a vastly underrated anime and now that I realize there's a light novel series behind it I want to read it now so bad.

It's basically Magic as Computer programming, which is one of my favourite things, with a female lead and is generally pretty chill.
That's basically Knights and Magic, except the magic is used to power mecha they use to fight demon beasts, and the MC is a huge Gundam-fan/ace programmer.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is Wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon worth a flick through? I'm a sucker for the Durarara illustrator and that caught my eye.
I've heard good things about it, hopefully my copy arrives this week so I can give it a read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had never heard of this before, probably because at first glance it is just another generic magic high school thing. It is on crunchyroll, so I'll have to give it a shot.

But man, that "viewers also liked" listing bodes ill.

Edit: This show is terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 25, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

I had never heard of this before, probably because at first glance it is just another generic magic high school thing. It is on crunchyroll, so I'll have to give it a shot.

But man, that "viewers also liked" listing bodes ill.

I remember it being something somewhat of a slow burn, but it was interesting in premise and apparently from what I've read the MC's powers become way better further down the road.

ED not the OP The song has these wonderful stutter like sequences in it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I remember that anim being pretty average.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm reading Madan no Ou to Vanadis. Ignoring the at times bad translations and minor :japan:-isms, it reads like Fire Emblem but more anime. Ignoring all the art makes it much better than with it, unless you read such things for the chainmail bikinis.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished 'All You Need Is Kill' kind of surprised that the movie actually expands on the book rather than the other way around.

Wait, in what way was that? I don't remember anything like that at all.

Also, as an aside, I really preferred the book's ending. I totally understand why the movie was that way, hollywood being hollywood and all, but it just felt like a bad mark on an otherwise really good movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe expands was the wrong word but practically half the film was original stuff not in the book, unless I'm remembering wrong.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, yeah, most of the film was original stuff. They changed the way the looping worked, character traits were shuffled around a lot, and a bunch of stuff was added. I don't think going for a straight adaptation of the entire novel would've been the best route to go for anyways, if just because we got to avoid child Rita.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

here is a manga thing i was linked into that seems along these lines. the writing is dumb but the ultimate premise made me laugh. it'll probably end up being dumb but whatever

anyway, with that sterling recommendation, go ahead and read it. try to not read the url

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For those still in the sunk-cost train that is Mushoku Tensei, all of volume 23 has been translated (It's apparently been done for some time now, I didn't expect the author to put out a new volume over Christmas/New Years).

DunMachi (otherwise known in English as Is it Wrong to Pick-up in a Dungeon?) arrived in the mail today :toot: When I'm caught up on MT I'll give it a read and get a write-up posted.

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
Why read web novels made for middle-school students?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaulMorel posted:

Why read web novels made for middle-school students?
why watch anime made for middle-school students?

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
It's a good question. Why?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

PaulMorel posted:

Why watch Disney movies? They're made for kids.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PaulMorel posted:

Why do people read those Harry Potter books, anyway?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Knights and magic volume 2 chapter 1 is up.

This series is a lot like I wanted Mushoku Tensei to be, at least thematically. Sort of the Log Horizon to MT's SAO, though improved in a different way by taking the creepy poo poo out.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

I read until volume 20 and I don't see what's so shocking about Seoyoon and Weed re-enacting some video game wedding? Or is the shocking scene the part where the translation group reveals that the author doesn't want it to be translated further? :confused:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ottumon posted:

I read until volume 20 and I don't see what's so shocking about Seoyoon and Weed re-enacting some video game wedding? Or is the shocking scene the part where the translation group reveals that the author doesn't want it to be translated further? :confused:

The Seoyoon plot in general just really creeps me out. Perhaps surprise would be a better word than shock. It's the kind of scene that I'd expect more from a sleazy harem series or something.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Knights and magic volume 2 chapter 1 is up.

This series is a lot like I wanted Mushoku Tensei to be, at least thematically. Sort of the Log Horizon to MT's SAO, though improved in a different way by taking the creepy poo poo out.
K&M is great and I'm glad that Skythewood's found something to translate from.

In other news I started DunMachi and it's harem-y as expected, but the setting is actually quite interesting. Essentially gods got bored of sitting in the overworld and started watching the people of the lower-world like it was some sort of reality TV show, then decided that going down there to join them would be much more fun than watching (and a lot better than sitting around doing nothing!).
They themselves don't have their crazy powers as a self-imposed rule, but instead give their 'blessings' to the other races and form 'guilds', more or less, full of adventurers they have bestowed the blessings upon them.
I like it so far, we'll see how the rest of it goes, I've only gone through a chapter and a bit thus far.

EDIT: Just a reminder to keep your spoilers tagged, I've received a PM about it already so just be a bit more careful in future.
Basic overview stuff is fine (the sort you'd see in a blurb, for instance), just make sure to cover up anything you wouldn't have wanted to see when you first started reading through a series.
Keep in mind that LNs take a fair bit longer than watching the latest episode of whatever it is you're watching this season, so it's better to be cautious with stuff you think might be spoilers.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 29, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why do people read those Harry Potter books, anyway?

Because they are middle schoolers

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

The Seoyoon plot in general just really creeps me out. Perhaps surprise would be a better word than shock. It's the kind of scene that I'd expect more from a sleazy harem series or something.
I can see where you're coming from, every time it starts gushing about Seoyoon's beauty or whatever my eyes just gloss over it. The game marriage scene could generally be written better, sure, but that can be said of just about everything in LMS. Maybe I glossed over something really weird, or have been desensitized so much that I think it's a pretty normal thing for the book to do :shrug:. I'd like to say I'll withhold judgement until I see what comes out of it but apparently this is that one case where the author doesn't want fan translations to continue and the translators are respecting that?

Is there anything else that's Good and not Bad which is also either completely translated or still being translated? I kind of got on the LMS ride with the thought that I'll eventually get to see the conclusion but...

e: I realized I'm talking about light novels

Ottumon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 29, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Having read Mushouku Tensei I have to admit.. sure, the main character can be KIND of a creeper sometimes.. there comes a point where he hits his stride and is actually a fairly likable guy.

I wonder how much of his wandering paws can really be attributed to the fact that the Greyrat family is basically comprised almost entirely of replicas of Rance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I agree, Despite the creeper moments, holy poo poo I do not expect those Turning Point chapters to play out like they do. It's also cool that the author managed to mess around with time travel without completely screwing the story with plot holes.

EDIT: Also, that side-story in the latest volume gave me diabetes :allears:

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2015

• Locked thread