Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Desuwa posted:

I subscribed to the RSS feed for the entire oniichanyamete site but that was definitely a mistake. I simply cannot follow this and it's worse than many MTLs. Plus I opened it without remembering which story it was and it turned out to be the ninja slavery one.

This is just unedited Google Translate gibberish. I thought we couldn't sink any lower.

e: next year my April Fool's thing will be posting literal Google Translate links

blastron fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Knights and magic is...okay? Like it's a story about an op reincarnated guy with mechs, and if that doesn't sound good to you then you won't like it.

jon joe posted:

Knights and magic is one of worst translations I've read, but the story premise and plot was . . . satisfactory. You can do worse. Of course, I stopped reading pretty early due to the translation, so someone pipe up if it has slaves or other such poo poo.

I'm not sure because I have no idea what's going on after the skythewood translations stopped. If it was still getting readable translations (bakadogeza does not qualify as readable), then I'd probably still be reading it because it's at least better than a lot of stuff that I've read. The only 'translation' that i've seen that was worse was a case where the 'translator' wasn't proficient in either japanese or english.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is only remotely true if you limit yourself to web novels and ignore light novels. With a couple rare exceptions (that I can't really think of, I'm just saying this because there's probably some great WNs I haven't heard of), the actual writing/plotting in good LNs tends to be dramatically better than the writing/plotting in good web novels. This might be because 1. LNs have editors and 2. web novels have to release something every week or so, but it still definitely negatively influences the quality as a whole in most cases.

Even Ascendance of a Bookworm, which is probably my favorite web novel (thanks blastron!), has writing that generally feels a little more amateur-ish than you see in good LNs.

Why does "Knight's" have an extra apostrophe? Maybe they'll reveal at some point that the ultimate skill is called "And Magic".

i was pretty much only counting wn's, yeah. there aren't many people translating ln's, by comparison. plus, a lot of them are done by baka "morally opposed to the concept of editing" tsuki.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
was patience one of the ruler skills kumoko used to have?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

was patience one of the ruler skills kumoko used to have?

Yeah, it's the "survive with 1 HP and take overflow damage as MP damage" skill.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

blastron posted:

This is just unedited Google Translate gibberish. I thought we couldn't sink any lower.

e: next year my April Fool's thing will be posting literal Google Translate links

It was literally google translate, it was also a fakeout, filler posted while the dude formatted the actual translation, which is up now. Of course, it's still yuri ninja slaver, so a proper translation can only do so much.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I don't know how the translation ended up (if it went through JP->CN->EN?), but I read the light novel edition last year, and had these warm words for it:

---
Finished reading Knights & Magic vol 1 by Amazake no Hisago. Unsurprisingly, it's a popular web novel that got picked up by a light novel label and is now published in paper form.

A 28-year-old programmer, cherished by his software company for sliding in before deadline and saving projects, is on his way home one day when he is killed by a drunk driver. Through the wonder of reincarnation, he finds himself reborn in a fantasy world filled with monsters, where humanity fights for its territory using giant mechanical robots known as Silhouette Knights. They're powered by magic, and as our protagonist soon discovers, the method of control is eerily similar to computer source code. Using the amazing skills gained in his former life, the young hero now sets out to revolutionize warfare with brilliant magical algorithms.

Let me be frank: this is terrible. It places itself firmly in the bottom 1% of what I've read in the past few years. Not because the story is worthless, or the prose is terrible, but because the structure of the storytelling itself is so insanely boring that I wanted to throw the book out the window nearly every page. The author is so intoxicated with his lore that every trace of plot or characterization is drowned out by explanations on details of details in details. It's excruciatingly dull.

The author also has no trust in his readership whatsoever, so every single line of dialogue is followed by a paragraph or two explaining exactly why the character felt the need to say those words in particular, and what the consequences of uttering them will be. The main character is only developed through the praise of his surroundings, so he's left as a perfect doll for the author to move around in his little imaginary world, endlessly executing amazing feats through blazing intellect. Any chance for turning him into a real person is swept away by labelling him a "mecha otaku" who just loves big robots.

Reading it in Japanese, I'm also smothered by incomprehensible katakana fantasy names, which instantly makes it twice as bad. Maybe the series turns into something fun eventually, but I'm pretty unlikely to give it more of my time.
---

My problems were mostly with how it's written, so maybe the anime will smooth it out to the point where it's entertaining. Reading just the first volume didn't show me all that much of the plot, so I can't really comment on it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Latest Thought Through Eternity (116): Holy crap! That monkey is even cooler than I thought looks like things are about to kick into gear soon.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New ISSTH gave me a little chuckle.

Eventually, he reached ninety, and then one hundred percent. After that, boundless energy exploded out from him. Majestic light could be seen, causing his body to become translucent, like crystal. In the blink of an eye, he almost looked like a spirit stone.

In fact, if Meng Hao could see himself right now, he… might just fall in love.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

darkgray posted:

My problems were mostly with how it's written, so maybe the anime will smooth it out to the point where it's entertaining. Reading just the first volume didn't show me all that much of the plot, so I can't really comment on it.

I read up to volume 3, and it's pretty much only good if you like what I can only describe as Slice of Life tech development. Because otherwise nothing loving happens.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FriggenJ posted:

Latest Thought Through Eternity (116): Holy crap! That monkey is even cooler than I thought looks like things are about to kick into gear soon.

ATTE is like he figured out what he really loved doing in ISSTH, removed everything else, and doubled down. It's both funnier and has more heart. That rabbit, you'd think there'd be a limit to how often you can throw out the same joke in rapid succession. And yet here we are.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Boogaleeboo posted:

ATTE is like he figured out what he really loved doing in ISSTH, removed everything else, and doubled down. It's both funnier and has more heart. That rabbit, you'd think there'd be a limit to how often you can throw out the same joke in rapid succession. And yet here we are.

Apparently he has a thing for birds that go around boinking everything with tail feathers in range. I'm going to read Beseech the Devil to find out if that's a theme. =P

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Er Gen just thinks things getting screwed up the rear end is the funniest concept ever.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I mean, most xianxia is about metaphorical screwing in the rear end of others, with increasing rear end-screwing power levels, and magical artifacts of rear end-scewing, so all the more power to him to make it literal.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

ATTE is hilarious and I am super glad the thread recommended it. I've only gotten up to the end of the Heaven's Chosen War but the way all of Bai Xiaochun's abilities and advantages come together takes the exact thing I like so much about ISSTH and amps it right the gently caress up.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
ATTE should have yakety sax playing in the background constantly. (I just read the part where he's madsciencing pills on Purple Cauldron)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
meng hao is planning to steal his immortal tribulation clouds and/or door

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

ATTE is hilarious and I am super glad the thread recommended it. I've only gotten up to the end of the Heaven's Chosen War but the way all of Bai Xiaochun's abilities and advantages come together takes the exact thing I like so much about ISSTH and amps it right the gently caress up.

The next arc or two are my absolute favorite. If you enjoyed it up to that point it turns the amp up to 11 soon. =)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

meng hao is planning to steal his immortal tribulation clouds and/or door

i was wrong. it wasn't anything nearly that interesting.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, "Meng Hao punches his way through a problem while everyone looks on with awe and his enemies clench their teeth" is something we've seen a hundred times before already and I'm really bored of it. Didn't someone who read the Chinese raws mention that the shenanigan ratios start dropping off as power levels start to increase?

I'm glad we've got Bai Xiaochun's antics to fill that void.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The shocking intensity of the power caused countless layers of clouds to suddenly spring out around Meng Hao. They spread out, causing a thick fog to fill the entire area.

This fog, was actually made of clouds!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly, i'm just waiting for meng hao to gently caress over those fang clan jerkwads on his way out the door. it is a pity though, now it looks like his master plan of "join fan dong's sect in order to troll her some more" is ruined.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
ATTE Latest chapter 118: Bwahahaha I don't think that The North Bank has any clue what's in store for them. BAI XIAOCHUN ISN'T LOCKED IN THERE WITH YOU, YOU'RE LOCKED IN THERE WITH HIM!

Edit: I know I've harped a lot about this. But as (I think) the one who brought ISSTH (or one of the ones, idk there wasn't much discussion of it at the time) to the thread I'd like to point out that y'all should be reading this.

Edit2: The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich appears to be updating again and the editing is even tighter than before. Also things are about to kick into super high gear after an already fantastic last arc. If you can get past the initial awkward first few chapters it's definitely a good story.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 25, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ATTE is real good.

[ch 65]I like how there's this loving obituary about Bai Xiaochun's ~noble spirit~ then we cut to him talking poo poo to/being terrified of a ghost

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 26, 2016

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

FriggenJ posted:

Edit2: The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich appears to be updating again and the editing is even tighter than before. Also things are about to kick into super high gear after an already fantastic last arc. If you can get past the initial awkward first few chapters it's definitely a good story.

I read though this over the weekend and it looks like it just went on hiatus for a month around chapter 66. Did I miss something or are there more chapters available? Roland is pretty great.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kyoujin posted:

I read though this over the weekend and it looks like it just went on hiatus for a month around chapter 66. Did I miss something or are there more chapters available? Roland is pretty great.

He went on vacation a while back, and he just posted a new chapter from his phone.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Gotcha. I just caught up today so didn't realize that was a new chap. Note says hiatus until Oct 20th but maybe we'll get lucky.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

When you say the first few chapters of Experimental Diary of a Crazy Lich are awkward, and that it's good after that, how many chapters am I going to have to slog through and how actually good is it after that? I could barely get through the first two chapters, the main character is just so unlikeable right now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I said the same thing and got this:

FriggenJ posted:

The first few chapters are kinda like that. But it picks up reasonably well.

FriggenJ posted:

Eh, the translation remains a little rough. But I found the series amusing, it isn't even close to my top 10 but it's a change of pace from most reincarnation novels. Give it til chapter 5ish, if you don't like it by then you'll probably not like the rest.
(But I never bothered picking it back up again after the first few chapters.)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2016

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Alright, thanks. I've got plenty of other things to read, so I won't keep slogging through this on the off chance I'll like it once it picks up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sevens actually had a pretty good payoff for the long stay in Beim, but at this point Lyle is so overpowered and well connected that I don't reasonably expect him to face any more challenges either physically or politically.

The translation's up to chapter 234 of 345. Assuming a volume for each of the remaining ancestors, another volume for when Lyle finally assaults Bahnseim, and one entire volume for the final battle, that leaves... about 36 spare chapters.

Story is probably gonna drag again, in other words.

On the other hand the LN has finally hit the Miranda/Shannon introduction arc and

yeah I really wasn't expecting Miranda to look so plain. Maybe her design will get changed up when her real personality is unsealed, I dunno.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, important question about ATTE:

Do the ants come up again? They'd better come up again.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, important question about ATTE:

Do the ants come up again? They'd better come up again.

In a sense? We haven't seen the ants return yet in the translated chapters but BY's strange pill mistakes CERTAINLY return in an awesome fashion

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It's actually getting difficult to stand ISSTH when every chapter is Meng Hao making incremental progress towards his goals without any sort of challenge that he doesn't immediately overcome with the power of his Heavens-defying magical techniques or his shocking Eternal stratum. I'm really glad that Er Gen figured out what his readers really enjoyed and wrote ATTE instead.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So is Bai Xiaochun voiced by Gilbert Gottfried?

Because for some reason that's where my mind went when I heard "shrill and high-pitched."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Then he opened another immortal meridian and it was ... a Paid By The Word meridian!

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah that's some Sesame street Count von Count poo poo right there. Except the Count would be done a hella lot faster and there'd be balloons and confetti. Ah-ah-ah.

Edit: Also, now that we know that this Kịshịhbặbrbǡblựb dude had 120 meridians, there's an approximately 120% chance Meng Hao will open 120+N meridians.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 29, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fleve posted:

Yeah that's some Sesame street Count von Count poo poo right there. Except the Count would be done a hella lot faster and there'd be balloons and confetti. Ah-ah-ah.

Edit: Also, now that we know that this Kịshịhbặbrbǡblựb dude had 120 meridians, there's an approximately 120% chance Meng Hao will open 120+N meridians.

1-2-3 meridians, ah-ah-ah.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Immortal meridians are literal manifestations of someone bragging to the world "check out my bad self"? I'm simultaneously let down and amazed at the appropriateness of how petty this reveal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Krunge posted:

1-2-3 meridians, ah-ah-ah.

Oh look, I'm exactly right. And it's another "Great Circle". What's even is a great circle?:allears:

• Locked thread