Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah I checked that one out thinking it would be OSO, but it ended up just being the typical "this dude figured out a way to become all powerful! Gamers HATE him!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in oso, archery legitimately sucks compared to any other option. like, yun usually gets better results by using his cooking skill to fight with knives. but that's okay, because yun would prefer to chill instead of doing any hardcore raiding or pvp stuff. by contrast, in ossan when the game released a new ultra hard timed instance dungeon meant for parties, the protagonist with the supposedly eccentric suboptimal build was the first to clear it and he did it solo. it takes the path of making everyone else really incompetent to make the mc look better.

plus, he is the sole person who plays that game who likes to experiment with crafting. i am not exaggerating.

vrmmo ossan sucks.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Serious Frolicking posted:

imo, issth, disciple, and kumoko are the best translated works available right now. disciple and issth do drag on at times, but their high points make up for that.

Whats IMO?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a poorly placed abbreviation.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

it's, not a title, frolocking was just saying "in my opinion."

joke answer: "I'm Mad Online"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoops, Im a dummy.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Don't listen to the haters, clearly it's Isekai Mahou wa-Okureteru a fantastic and well written series about a magician who's WAY TOO POWERFUL!

Edit: On another non-terrible novel note. I might be willing to do up a new OP if we're willing to re-make the thread.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 20, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

blastron posted:

*cough cough* there's this really cool story called "Ascendance of a Bookworm" that some goon is translating and i think it's pretty good, albeit kinda slow, so check it out and maybe add it to the OP

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/
It's refreshing to see one of these with a thorough translation and nice formatting.

none of that halfassed nonsense like keeping honorifics or weird onomatopoeia

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 21, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kumoko was finally catching up to the side stories, but the latest chapter was the beginning of another side story.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

in oso, archery legitimately sucks compared to any other option. like, yun usually gets better results by using his cooking skill to fight with knives. but that's okay, because yun would prefer to chill instead of doing any hardcore raiding or pvp stuff. by contrast, in ossan when the game released a new ultra hard timed instance dungeon meant for parties, the protagonist with the supposedly eccentric suboptimal build was the first to clear it and he did it solo. it takes the path of making everyone else really incompetent to make the mc look better.

plus, he is the sole person who plays that game who likes to experiment with crafting. i am not exaggerating.

vrmmo ossan sucks.

There's always that one weirdo who doesn't just want to pvp/grind all day.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

kumoko was finally catching up to the side stories, but the latest chapter was the beginning of another side story.

Hey, at least this sidestory is happening concurrent with the main story's events. The chapters for a bit after this are just one-offs detailing the view of various characters, so it's not too different from what we've been having even when the view has mostly been Shiraori, Wrath, or Sophia. And at least the story isn't stalling out; these have been being released with two chapters a day in the raws, it's just that the translator hasn't been getting to them as fast as they're being produced.

vvv Yeah, I wanna read about that too, but at least we're closer to it than we've ever been

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 21, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just want to read about an ancient elf hive mind/dirtbag dying horribly. i understand how the narrative is constructed, but it has been ages since the story jumped into flashback after flashback.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I guess when I say that Old Man VRMMO Diary is laid back, I don't mean that he isn't OP. It's more of the fact that there isn't some critical plot thing hanging on the MC's success or failure, just good old fashioned fun. Instead of your lively-hood/digital-real barrier/some nuclear powerplant/whatever plot point hinging on you "winning" the game, it's just a guy having fun. He might be doing better in the game when compared to Yun, but the whole point of it all is to have fun, just like Yun is. For contrast, see the multitude of "super serious games" like LMS, Ark the Legend, and SAO.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey so while nine cauldrons continues to be okay but not great, in the latest chapter the mc had a plan that required everyone to be stupid and do exactly what he wanted. it didn't work and blew up in his face, starting a war and getting the somewhat stupid heroine killed.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao's earlier visit to the lighting section of Home Depot pays off big-time.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, ISSTH is at its best whenever it isn't about shocking cultivation bases but is instead about Meng Hao filling and/or emptying his bags of holding at his problems. The author is really great about Chekhov's Guns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
issth is cyclical. he gradually gathers a selection of toys, then uses those toys to handle a threat just slightly above what he should be able to handle. after he wins everyone gushes about how awesome he is until it is time to start collecting toys again. the collection phase is the good part, obviously. that's when all the shenanigans happen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

hey so while nine cauldrons continues to be okay but not great, in the latest chapter the mc had a plan that required everyone to be stupid and do exactly what he wanted. it didn't work and blew up in his face, starting a war and getting the somewhat stupid heroine killed.

Picked the gently caress up.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

"There was another story that the first generation Patriarch didn’t actually die, that he had lived a fifth life, in which he disappeared to live a carefree existence."

I hope this is a clue to Lord Fifths true identity.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
In my opinion, Nine Cauldrons is probably the best out of IET's works (it is by IET right?) It doesn't drag on forever, the guy doesn't become the Alpha and Omega, and there's a reason why he wound up reincarnated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first few chapters leading up to the reincarnation are very bad, though.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Okay, you know how the best arcs in ISSTH are Meng Hao being a bit of a bastard and doing crazy poo poo? Well I've been reading his newest work A Thought Through Eternity and it's MOSTLY crazy escapades with some cultivation mixed in. So far 114 chapters have been translated and the main character is absolutely awesome(and shameless enough to take the roof tiles off of an immortal house).

If you liked ISSTH I cannot recommend this story enough.

quote:

Inside the stone room, a monkey in a high place leaned its chin on its palm, pondering deeply. Below it were a couple monkeys who were constantly convulsing while red-eyed rabbits were fighting elephant-sized chickens...

Beside them were the toads, watching the scene with their countless eyes while a rabbit was imitating the many surrounding scenes, making gestures and occasionally throwing out three sentences “eh…”, “You know how to speak?”, and “Haha, this pill’s not bad. I, Bai Xiaochun, really am a genius, now even a rabbit knows how to speak!”

In the air, some ducks were soaring around gracefully, dancing in the sky like birds and constantly dropping turds which splattered on the ground. On the floor, a nine-headed tiger was covered in bird excrement and roaring angrily over and over again. That tiger was surrounded by the two-legged fish who were running about, tirelessly chased by hiccupping cats...

There were also some swans near the door, coldly observing all of this, as though they were guards.

Bai Xiaochun stared blankly inside the room. He had tested out only a part of his odd pills, many more remained inside his storage bag, so he naturally wanted to continue testing, but he was out of fresh test subjects.

“The Dao of Medicine is amazing…” Bai Xiaochun mumbled to himself and looked away, filled with a determination to try out the rest of his odd pills. Leaving the immortal cave, he went down the mountain to procure even more beasts from the market square.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Knight's & Magic is getting animated:

https://twitter.com/Amazake_Write/status/778975929070518272

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

FriggenJ posted:

Okay, you know how the best arcs in ISSTH are Meng Hao being a bit of a bastard and doing crazy poo poo? Well I've been reading his newest work A Thought Through Eternity and it's MOSTLY crazy escapades with some cultivation mixed in. So far 114 chapters have been translated and the main character is absolutely awesome(and shameless enough to take the roof tiles off of an immortal house).

If you liked ISSTH I cannot recommend this story enough.

I think you should mention that A Thought Through Eternity has a MC that has a distinctly different character than Meng Hao though, as that's why I really like him (and have grown to dislike Meng Hao). Bai Xiaochun is basically someone deeply, deeply afraid of death, and almost everything about him stems from that fear.

So he is the kind of guy who will always try not to fight if possible because fighting is scary (though when he fights he is basically a berseker as Myyy liiiife), always thinks super deeply about things (but not about their consequences), and is the kind of guy who will proudly say "with all those secret genius techniques I mastered, someone two levels below me should not be able to beat me".

Also, he always go too far and bring calamity upon people around him.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Arkeus posted:

I think you should mention that A Thought Through Eternity has a MC that has a distinctly different character than Meng Hao though, as that's why I really like him (and have grown to dislike Meng Hao). Bai Xiaochun is basically someone deeply, deeply afraid of death, and almost everything about him stems from that fear.

So he is the kind of guy who will always try not to fight if possible because fighting is scary (though when he fights he is basically a berseker as Myyy liiiife), always thinks super deeply about things (but not about their consequences), and is the kind of guy who will proudly say "with all those secret genius techniques I mastered, someone two levels below me should not be able to beat me".

Also, he always go too far and bring calamity upon people around him.

Oh, I quite agree. Whether its spreading "poison" in a sect battle or trying to gum an entire snake cave worth of snake's mouths shut I love this dude from the bottom of my heart. I read the entire story in one day and laughed I don't know how many times. It's really refreshing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

They may as well have announced that last week when they announce a big announcement

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that's nice. robot fights are always better in a visual medium.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Is knights and magic worth reading?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kind of.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

DeafAsianQT posted:

Is knights and magic worth reading?

I thought it was one of the worst things I've ever read, but then I read more bad things, so now I don't know anymore.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Knights and magic is one of worst translations I've read, but the story premise and plot was . . . satisfactory. You can do worse. Of course, I stopped reading pretty early due to the translation, so someone pipe up if it has slaves or other such poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's another on the pile of "decent story that didn't actually need to be reincarnation"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was gonna say that the mc being a huge nerd about robots was vital to the premise, but then i remembered that there are already gross otaku for every kind of weapon. so yeah, i guess the reincarnation bit is kind of unnecessary.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When Fan Dong'er was the one who was gunning for the Immortality Door, I was kinda hoping she'd almost go through it only for Inky to be the one given Immortal status.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Still waiting to see what the deal with Inky is going to be.

Also I've started reading TTE and it's great. The fact that the apparent female lead straight up buys her position from Bai Xiaochun and is happy about the transaction makes me appreciate that Er Gen knows that what people really want for their Xianxia protagonists is total shameless weasels.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Still waiting to see what the deal with Inky is going to be.
Fan Dong'er is going to find three more corpses, named Pinky, Blinky and Clyde. Then, she will master the Blue Ghost Conversion Technique.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

imo, issth, disciple, and kumoko are the best translated works available right now. disciple and issth do drag on at times, but their high points make up for that.

I think this is only remotely true if you limit yourself to web novels and ignore light novels. With a couple rare exceptions (that I can't really think of, I'm just saying this because there's probably some great WNs I haven't heard of), the actual writing/plotting in good LNs tends to be dramatically better than the writing/plotting in good web novels. This might be because 1. LNs have editors and 2. web novels have to release something every week or so, but it still definitely negatively influences the quality as a whole in most cases.

Even Ascendance of a Bookworm, which is probably my favorite web novel (thanks blastron!), has writing that generally feels a little more amateur-ish than you see in good LNs.

darkgray posted:

Knight's & Magic is getting animated:

Why does "Knight's" have an extra apostrophe? Maybe they'll reveal at some point that the ultimate skill is called "And Magic".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Speaking of Bookworm, I noticed a few manga chapters that included maps:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

quote:

“I’ll point in this Scale Viper subdue have reached the stretch D rank. Congratulations.”
“Eh? Two classes at once? Are such mon so much go up at once?”
“Yes, you have your line of Toka party … For example there of go-back-like C rank that it would be one animal if the original level monsters of should be headed to subdue. It with one person, yet there and also was overthrown five it is impossible is better to keep in the … F rank ”
“Well, to actually Sino-dono there is no us of Tatsuse I say Nante F rank, I think we should I rubbed it to Do … leave obediently received so as to intercept the request of rookie us?”

I subscribed to the RSS feed for the entire oniichanyamete site but that was definitely a mistake. I simply cannot follow this and it's worse than many MTLs. Plus I opened it without remembering which story it was and it turned out to be the ninja slavery one.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Desuwa posted:

I subscribed to the RSS feed for the entire oniichanyamete site but that was definitely a mistake. I simply cannot follow this and it's worse than many MTLs. Plus I opened it without remembering which story it was and it turned out to be the ninja slavery one.

That site used to have one translator that was really good, but then months back a bunch of other people were brought on board and the first guy disappeared and the whole site went to poo poo. I miss when it was better.

• Locked thread