Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
^^^ Yeah the existing fan-translations for that series are complete trash, which is a shame and I hope it gets picked up in an official capacity at some point.

Only Sense also hit a good itch for me. I agree that the gender-bending adds a lot of annoying and useless points, but in the same tone despite reading LMS for so long I found it really hard to keep up with Weed's utter misanthropy combined with he himself being a[n often hilarious] dirtbag was too much (on top of the translation quality which falters with each passing chapter), while OSO remains rather bubbly. :buddy:

As a huge nerd I'm actually super on board for this giant wave of MMO-based stories and find almost all of them rather fun to read for a while. Thanks for making this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

In Only Sense, anyone could level those skills given time. Heck, most of them are available on character creation. However, every other person followed the consensus which only existed on forums that these skills were worthless before they even started playing.

While I agree that it's kind of ridiculous there wouldn't be someone who would go out of their way to completely outline what every facet of every system in a game is like (I've been that guy several times myself), when it comes to the way casual Japanese gamers specifically approach multiplayer games, this is actually not terribly hard to believe on the surface. A huge majority of them are more than happy to find the first google result/open forum for discussion and completely go along with whatever the most popular consensus is and wont spend a second thought on it.

If a large enough contingent of beta players immediately cast off a whole subset of abilities, everyone coming in to the main game would likely take it as gospel since anybody playing in a beta is obviously going to know everything about the game, right?? :rolleyes:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

:(:hf::(

Also Only Sense's volume 4 translation is done. It was, as always, pretty fun.

I still find it hard to believe that nobody else has picked up buffing.

Finally decided to read through this volume and I'm hoping it comes up soon. I think at this point only a small handful of people realize that Yun can actually do this, and most people are pretty sensible about making sure information doesn't spread terribly far. The necessary 'build' for buffing also requires grinding up a lot of the more esoteric and not-immediately-useful Senses, so it seems reasonable that people aren't dropping everything to try and respec for it since it doesn't help contribute for solo play much at first anyway. I suspect eventually we'll start seeing the aggressive guilds start sussing it out, or we'll run up against somebody who has secretly has built up many of the same abilities but focused on debuffing rather than support.

Also, it was adorable that the author spared some mention for some more recent games like Necrodancer in the afterword :3:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

darkgray posted:

Also been trying to catch up with Overlord in preparation for the anime in July, but vol 7 crossed the line, and I'm kind of wary of continuing now. Still have vol 8 on the shelf, so I can't quite give up yet, though. It's too bad, because volumes 4 and 6 were kind of great.

In what way, because Overlord has a lot of different lines it can cross for a lot of different people :v:

• Locked thread