Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Only Sense Online is probably the best of them. It doesn't take itself seriously unlike the SAO like stuff. And I actually really like the Sense system the game uses.

Yun just wants to craft in peace, and is a good deal weaker than the combat oriented characters.

The funny thing about that one is that the skill system it uses actually seems kind of viable for a mmo. However, everyone acts as though skill points are some incredibly rare resource and that non-combat skills are worthless even though it all seems very much balanced around trying a bunch of things. You don't even have to keep the non-combat stuff equipped and leveling it provides more skill points. This results in there being absolutely no documentation on skills which are trivially easy to acquire and try out. Even the hilarious skill system from moonlight sculptor makes more sense, because the worst offenders are all locked behind a super secret quest line that Weed never explains to anyone.

Still, jarring dissonance between the premise and execution aside, I rather like Only Sense. The only actively negative aspect is the gender bender bit, which adds absolutely nothing to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

You've never played EVE, have you?
So many people ignore almost all the skills that aren't at least indirectly linked to pvp (suck as marketing, mining/industry, R&D, exploration etc). It's not that hard to believe, really.

There were always loads of carebears in high sec, but that's not the point. The skills in eve were transparent. You knew the effects before you leveled one- bonuses and sometimes something new to equip. Even then, people still experimented with weird, frequently lovely builds.

Desuwa posted:

I finished reading the first three volumes of Only Sense Online and gave the other novels the translator is working on a look. I didn't find the others to be very good, which is a shame because the translator is fast and doing a great job on his end. Alice Tale was okay but much more typical of the genre.

The gimmick behind LMS is that the game is controlled by an AI, so it can tailor the game to every player at once. It's not really certain that the quests he did existed in the game before he did them.

No one knew why Weed was strong because he never told anyone about the shapeshifting, sculpture pets, etc. He didn't have the only secret class with its own super special class quest, but his particular flavor of bullshit wasn't available to other people. In Only Sense, anyone could level those skills given time. Heck, most of them are available on character creation. However, every other person followed the consensus which only existed on forums that these skills were worthless before they even started playing. Alchemy sounds cool! Seeds could be created with a common starter area drop and a bit of fiddling with a menu from level 1, but no one else ever figured out how to get them. It isn't even like moonlight sculptor where being a crafter meant being lovely at combat and locking them out of most of the fun content. Rather, they could freely switch between ability sets like the job system in ffxi/xiv but no one ever bothered.

poo poo just makes no sense, is all.

Also, Ark is a brazen ripoff of moonlight sculptor. I mean poo poo, the guy even got a special ability that lets him ignore defense with swords with a class change. It just keeps coming up over and over. I'm not sure why such a supposed misanthrope who only values money and his family (gee, sound familiar?) is so ridiculously vulnerable to schmaltzy emotional appeals, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Writing a young adult novel is a perfectly fine endeavor. Aping the style of a rather unexceptional type of fiction in another language is pathetic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I mentioned this in another thread, but the basic premise of lms just plain doesn't work. Weed exhausted himself working menial jobs as his family's sole support, so exactly when did he have time for all those absurd marathon sessions in that non-vr mmo?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ottumon posted:

That's a really good point. I guess it is indeed set on another planet where a month has 6000 hours! To be honest, I didn't pay much attention and forgot most of the first chapter. Either because of the writing style or translation, the human drama of Weed having to work his rear end off in sweatshops didn't interest me at all. I mostly think of it just as a way for the author to easily give Weed an appreciation of hard work and the value of money. And sewing skills too, I guess.

It doesn't really bother me much, actually. The contradictory background stuff is directly related to Weed's personality, so even though it makes no sense it is necessary to the story. Lms is a blatant wish-fulfillment fantasy, only unlike the vast majority of light novels that fantasy is to have great big adventures in a vr game so advanced it is basically magic. Most of the rest is awkwardly translated jokes and grinding. The most obvious example of the harem poo poo not being important is that Weed became good friends with his first party, but none of the girls in that group fell madly in love with him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 22, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm trying to find Modern Magic Made Simple as I was reorganizing my Music collection and found the OP of it, which reminded me that this was a vastly underrated anime and now that I realize there's a light novel series behind it I want to read it now so bad.

It's basically Magic as Computer programming, which is one of my favourite things, with a female lead and is generally pretty chill.

I had never heard of this before, probably because at first glance it is just another generic magic high school thing. It is on crunchyroll, so I'll have to give it a shot.

But man, that "viewers also liked" listing bodes ill.

Edit: This show is terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 25, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've started reading Arifureta and it is just so wonderfully terrible that it might fill the mahouka-shaped hole in my heart. Even in the 'edgelord with rpg stats' genre, it is remarkably uninspired.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

I decided to look Arifureta over and I can't help but feel like his whole eating monsters gimmick got discarded entirely too soon in favor of the writer deliberately bolting stereotypes on him.

His rapid collection of more women in a steady progression of different shades of freaky is kinda weak too.

I think I would've been happier if he'd just stuck with a monster-eating man roaming around the countryside looking for new meals with his vampire queen sidekick.

The best part is that his initial skill set was indeed weak and useless. He didn't find some clever way to make it work, but instead randomly found an unrelated method to become superhuman by accident. The author doesn't seem to understand that it takes more to make the protagonist likable than simply jamming a wide assortment of puerile concepts into one character. The protagonist isn't clever because the writer is too dim to understand what cleverness is. What's more, the actual story is intensely dull.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh right, I almost forgot about the funniest goddamn part of arifureta thus far- the drill instructor bit. The 17 year old boy who depends on a silly gun 90% of the time teaches a bunch of adults how to fight using 'logical movements'.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

All in all, after having slept on it. The thing that actively bugs me about Arifureta is that it reads like one of two things:

The author is talking down to his readers.

- or -

The author has a really low reading level.

EDIT: Reading through Overlord, I find myself enjoying the comic version of it more. There's something about the translation, or it may be a holdover from how the original story was laid out, but I have a hard time just sitting down and reading it. I keep having to go back over lines to make sure I read what I think I read.

EDIT 2: I'm to understand, reading through comments, that the first volume of the story was translated roughly and is going to get another pass soon. Having looked over the comic for a better mental image of what is going on, I'll be giving the story a second try now.

Why can't it be both? The only people who bother to publish edgelord poo poo are either cynically riding the trend or legitimately believe their derivative schlock is some great work of literature. Unwarranted arrogance by the writer neatly explains your problems with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I will always have a certain fondness for kaze no stigma because the protagonist relentlessly trolls the standard violent tsundere female lead. But I guess that might be where the arifureta guy got the idea that casual cruelty was a positive character trait.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

To be fair, his cruelty was deliberate and focused to kick her out of her comfort zone. Not JUST because he was an rear end in a top hat.

That lady had issues.

Not the least of which was that she never REALLY understood there was nothing 'special' about her powers.

Oh, I'm not much for tsunderes. I think they are toxic, thoroughly unpleasant characters. Being nice once a year doesn't make up for being completely horrible the rest of the time, which is why I liked seeing one taken down a peg in kaze no stigma. For anyone unfamiliar with the show (no real reason to read the books), it was mostly just on the level of teasing. But if someone didn't quite understand the context they might simply see it as a cool guy being abusive. Since Arifureta is every vague idea of what is cool smushed into a vaguely person-like shape, that may be where the casual cruelty came from. Or maybe not! Supposedly cool assholes are found all over the place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Zang Long is kind of odd in that the protagonist isn't especially good at the game, he just has obscene luck with drops.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've been thinking about Zang Long despite how underwhelming it is in general. It isn't really like most of the vrmmo wankfests, because the game is just a game and not the means by which a character can live a literal second life as a fantasy hero. Rather, the guy's life itself is the fantasy, and that fantasy includes having the time and resources to play a fun vrmmo. Well, a fun vrmmo with an unbelievably lovely crafting system. I mean goddamn, a crafting skill that makes mana potions and only mana potions? That's really dumb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

So how good is A Certain Magical Index? I watched both seasons of the anime as well as A Certain Scientific Railgun and was wondering if the light novel series would be a fun read.

Oh boy. Well, the speeches seem to be a lot more frequent, and Index is even more insufferable. People seem to be highly pressurized containers of approximately 800 gallons of blood, but since blood is mostly decorative almost nothing is lethal. Otherwise, aside from railgun filler it is more of the same as the anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh god, I'm dying. I'm dying here. "Crimson Shadow Ghost", I can't take it. http://japtem.com/projects/shadow-rogue-toc/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everyone in ST is an rear end in a top hat to some degree. I'm on the underwater arc now, and it is rather amusing how the author has no particular interest in writing about underwater combat in an arc largely dedicated to that idea. It is just the same old zwee fighting with barely a mention of the aquatic stuff. How does an underwater backflip even work?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In ST, most immortals seem to be psychotic. Only the failures who couldn't cut it out in murderous island country ever concern themselves with anything other than their own power. That isn't really their fault, though. Having more and better stuff makes them more likely to survive when the universe periodically tries to murder them. Once they get started on the path to true immortality they can't ever stop. And why would they, even? Not even mortals willingly accept mortality. Thus, they betray, murder and steal in order to seize any advantage. In other words, the very nature of their universe encourages people to be assholes. So yeah, goddamn it, Linley.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arkeus posted:

If it was only that they wouldn't be such assholes. The issue is that the best way to get power is to eat other people. You can literally be given insight and special techniques don't matter compared to just the power you get from eating others. And insight you steal, too..

CD has a lot of what you said above... Except, well, they actually need each others in order to get stronger. So when two saints meet others? It's "yay, let's spar and hopefully we'll learn stuff".

Saints like having treasures and they are useful when they fight each other or go dungeon diving, but they don't absolutely need them. Saints already live indefinitely unless killed, and the majority seemed to spend their time quite peacefully. There is no inherent reason for saints to fight (to the death, at least), so they generally don't bother. They don't bother with a lot of things, really, and that aloofness is what generally keeps them from being assholes like ST immortals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Awright, time for another absurdly funny chapter of Shadow Rogue. http://japtem.com/sr-volume-1-chapter-7/

This time, we learn that having gear in a mmo makes you more attractive to women.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In zang long, the mc has recently started fighting werewolves and learned how to project his consciousness to detect every person and their power level for miles around. This is in the real world. The game part has devolved into beating up historical figures for sweet sweet loot. I'm not familiar with chinese history at all, but it seems safe to say that there is some serious revisionism going on even without the whole undead boss aspect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, SR is pretty bad regardless of the translation. The latest batch of chapters included a rousing thanks to the clever government officials who decided that the dumb game could only be played for 8 hours a day. It is too bad, really. It limits the time people can worship the living god who has newbie gear in a newbie zone. I also love the references to what's-his-face being an expert gamer based on his extensive experience of watching videos of people playing different mmo's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, um.... huh. I haven't ever seen ancestor worship taken quite so literally before. Zang long is very strange, but this time it is less amusing and more perplexing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shadow Rogue mentioned in passing that fresh air just plain no longer exists, which is too bad but at least there is a vrmmo! That was the most chinese goddamn thing so far in that entire hilarious webnovel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, no. It is a pure wish-fulfilment fantasy, only a large part of said fantasy is the ability to play a vrmmo. What's more, the ladies can't get enough of his mmo skillz and seem to respect his game accomplishments more than anything in real life. In short, zang long is really loving dumb, but in an occasionally endearing way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is a very sad fantasy, yes. It isn't even wow- the mechanics are garbage and the economy is dependent on rmt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The writer is a straight up slavery fetishist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Plus there was that whole extended period where he kept taking little girls to bed as a preventative measure against one little girl that wanted to jump his bones. Everyone involved was a slave, of course. Who else but a pedophile would write that poo poo?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think it is just cultural, rather than explicitly religious. Also, something common a lot of bad fiction is shallow characterization of villains. A villain without any real motivations can end up being ridiculously evil in lieu of any effort spent developing them. So, because they are so incredibly, absurdly evil they end up warranting extreme punishments.

Of course, I don't know enough about wuxia to completely chalk it up to laziness. Maybe it is just a narrative convention to have every opponent be Satan von DoubleHitler.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've been reading Magi Craft Meister lately. There really isn't much to it, just a dude with the magical power to make stuff out of raw materials hanging out and generally being nice. Kinda the gallant to arifureta's goofus, in some ways. https://natsutl.wordpress.com/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So I was clicking on random poo poo from aho updates, and I found this: https://lygartranslations.wordpress.com/novels/himekishi-ga-classmate/

What the loving gently caress gently caress. I really didn't expect something titled as innocuously as "My classmate is a princess knight" to have such a remarkably vile premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I seem to remember someone mentioning a story where a common soldier dies and gets sent back in time, but his only advantage is how military technology progressed over the course of a huge fantasy war. Anyone remember what that was called?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This slavery fetish fad is gross as hell, but it won't actually affect real women. At most, someone might make some money off of these pathetic delusions.

Also, japan's negative population growth is due to a combination of hosed up social pressures. Otaku aren't nearly numerous enough to affect the population much one way or another.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Endorph posted:

'fad?'

also women can have weird fetishes too

It shows up a lot in web novels lately, which then become light novels or manga, which could in theory become an anime given enough time. Or it could simply never attain any mass appeal, I dunno. It isn't like I'm an expert on the subject, but in general I believe that you should never bet on people having good taste.

I don't believe I ever said that women couldn't have disgusting fetishes. There has long been a tiny population of people who dedicate their lives to slave roleplaying. For example, goreans (whipcrack) at one point included plenty of doughy middle aged white women. But lol if you expect otaku to do anything involving the real world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hagop posted:

I thought this as well, but then some goons where going on about it being the best show in some unrelated thread. So I powered through the first 3 or 4 eps and it gets good, maybe that's to strong of a word, but I ended up enjoying watching it. If you stop trying to parse the whole world setting and just focus on the story presented it gets a lot less confusing.

They only thing about the larger world you really need to understand are.

Its not really 1588, just a reconstruction of 1588 by someone whose only knowledge of history is a Civ campaign they once played.

The Japanese get shinto magic(accomplished through the use of quantum computers and nano machines) because its their racial power.

All laws are seemingly open for debate, but if you fail to justify your case breaking/changing a law the world government has you killed(unless your a minor and then they only maybe kill you).

The whole cast is high schoolers because this is an anime minor's are a lot less likely to get killed for not following the historical role play script.

Everyone hates the Japanese because they got blamed for some mistake that nearly destroyed the world, back before the world started the whole historical role play thing.

See, I have no real problem with the bizarre historical reenactment thing in theory. In a ridiculously advanced society, why not do any weird poo poo that comes to mind? However, the anime eventually revealed that while they were post-history, they were not post-scarcity. They had to worry about running out of food. So while a society dedicated to historical reenactment might work when functionally infinite resources are available, it is just plain stupid with limited resources.

There is no real thought put into the setting because it is just an excuse to cram in loads of standard anime girl archetypes from a bunch of genres in with vague japanese history references.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the latest translated chapter of moonlight sculptor, the most amazingly improbable thing happened. Seo Yoon did something entertaining. I never expected such an event.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I tried reading the legendary thief, the first work by the author of zang long. It is somehow worse than zang long. For one, the protagonist isn't a thief. For another, he is a horrible monster. The basic premise is that a madam and her girls decide to start playing a mmo as professional goldsellers along with their lackey. You would think that when most of the cast are prostitutes, they would be portrayed positively right? Nope. The lackey, whose position was lower than a pimp, makes it abundantly clear how much he looks down on them all the drat time. Rampant misogyny in lovely webnovels (chinese or otherwise) is nothing new, but it is baffling how the author went with this premise when the mc keeps on yammering on about how non-virgins are innately inferior and no one could ever have a relationship with one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Weed eventually starts actually achieving awesome poo poo (well, awesome for an mmo) instead of doing mundane stuff while the narration fellates him. But no, while LMS does get better (and then worse, and then better again, what with how absurdly long it is) it is always cheesy as hell.

As for Xian Ni, it gets bogged down for a long time with all of this meaningless babbling about cultivation that probably wouldn't make sense even if it was competently translated. I rather like I Shall Seal the Heavens by the same author, though. It is just dickbag immortals screwing each other over at every opportunity, but it is also occasionally kinda funny. Intentionally funny even, and not the usual wuxia webnovel silliness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 14, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, ISSTH starts with the protagonists entry into an immortal sect. Instead of the usual prestigious admissions process, that sect just abducts people at random to pad out their numbers. It gets weirder from there, what with all the butt explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

All the stuff currently being translated on wuxiaworld is pretty good. ISSTH, BTTH, MGA and ATG are all great . Coiling Dragon is a bit more eh, but after 20 volumes, I'm suffering from a severe sunk cost compulsion to read it.

Well, I have to disagree about MGA. The protagonist is a vicious sociopath and a rapist.

• Locked thread