Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
In Shield Hero is anyone else bothered by the fact that the female antagonist does horrible things for -no- reason constantly? Like the falsified rape charge was to steal a set of chainmail that she could -easily afford-. It feels like the author has an axe to grind.

Then the girl's mother appears out of nowhere to magically fix all the problems by destroying her husband/daughter for "reasons". What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I really think you'd be hard pressed to condemn Chinese attitudes of the Japanese. The current Japanese government STILL won't acknowledge Nanjing.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

darkgray posted:

I just managed to waste a week reading what's available of Death Marching to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku), about a guy who finds himself in a fantasy world, armed with smart bombs from the game he was developing. Trying one, he manages to wipe out the entire region, which instantly gets him enough experience points to reach level 310.

Dropped this one VERY quickly. One of the main characters is a 11 year old slave who wants to jump the main character's bones in EVERY chapter. It's really gross.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Desuwa posted:

Most of these WNs have a good idea or two but drop the ball very quickly. The writers just aren't competent and most of these would be better off if they kept their length down to one or two LN's worth of content rather than trying to make a long series with no direction. The most common trap is probably just introducing too many characters. I dropped shield hero during the village arc when there were like 15 or so named characters actively participating in the story that I didn't care about and couldn't keep straight.
I think it's a Japanese LN problem. Although there can be a lot of bullshit in Chinese Wuxia/Xanxia I've found a MUCH better signal to noise ratio there.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Serious Frolicking posted:

Personally, I love how in all those crappy mmo stories people spend real money on game items but it is treated like a status symbol and not a hilarious mark of shame.

Most of those MMO stories are Chinese. Apparently(?) there's something to be said about being so filthy rich you can buy the world and own n00bs in vidya games.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

drilldo squirt posted:

What's the name of that spider novel?

Which one? There are so many!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, it looks like: (Latest translated chapters spoilers for Spidergirl) The reason the Demon King, Shiro et al have different personalities is that when the parallel wills take over they kinda merge with the current soul to create a new personality. What's weird though is that the Demon King shouldn't be the main body's soul. So what's the main body doing during all this?

Edit: Actually having thought about it I can't imagine it being anyone other than Shiro. Especially with the mention of her terrifying eyes in the earlier stories.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 20, 2015

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Desuwa posted:

It was mentioned a few pages back but Mother of Learning is really good, even if this isn't really the appropriate forum for it. Scratches the same sort of itch without the really stilted English that comes from poor translations.

Well, it also has likable female characters without all the weird sexual bullshit that CN/JP novels tend to be inundated with. I cannot recommend it enough to people.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I think I just had the biggest "gently caress yeah!" moment in chapter 199 of I Shall the Heavens that I've experienced in any of these novels so far. If y'all haven't given it a try yet and like the Xanxia genre I cannot recommend it high enough.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Meng Hao also grows and changes like an actual person. He gets experience and uses said experience to adjust to situations as opposed to just murdering everyone who opposes him for no reason. It's a good novel and the writing is also quite good.

Edit: Although, I guess I should mention there still is -a lot- of murdering. Can't escape your genre roots I guess.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 8, 2015

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for the ISSTH recommendations; I was finally able to enjoy something without having to wade through psychopathic protagonists, rapists and other terrible attributes. I even had found some humor, which is really rare in this genre; though those poor guys in the mask that are stuck with Mr. Meat Jelly are in the worst form of hell.

Douluo Dalu is another good one in this vein. It's a lot more shonen-esque though.

With the exception of the weird rear end Grandmaster's love plot it's pretty tame insofar as horrible stuff goes.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Additionally the series starts out by giving him a super powerful item that makes enemies butts explode. It's fairly well written and there are very few "I AM EVIL TO BE EVIL" enemies that tend to flood these stories.

Plus he has a talking hat.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I don't know why people think the tenth dao pillar is an asspull. The Qi condensation/perfect foundation path he's going on seems to lead into it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Algid posted:

ISSTH 317: Buttsplosions finally explained :stare:

And done so gloriously too! I love every character in this damned novel. That parrot is just as good as the Meat Jelly.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
After the most recent chapter of ISSTH I'm fairly certain I'll never antagonize a parrot ever in my life. Just in case.

Edit: At least the reason for the rear end-splosions is fairly clear now.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 6, 2015

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

Great jumping Jehoshaphat the forums on Novel Updates are terrible. Great utility site, terrible people on the forums. I'd blame the readers, but the translators also should be practicing a bit of discretion on what they translate. Some of these works really doesn't deserve more publicity than they have already. It also brings up another issue I'm finding: why the gently caress are all these stories that glorifies slavery in some shape or form getting translated? Why are they being written in the first place?

Almost facetious answer: If WWII has taught me anything it's that Japanese people love sex slaves.

Real answer? It's much easier for people who can't empathize with protagonists being attractive and popular (say, the entire JP demographic most WNs are pitching their power fantasies to) but they can easily picture being the best master in the world to some poor slave they rescue with their god-given power who, consequently, falls in love with them.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

While this might justify the motivations of writers of this garbage, what excuse do the translators have? That they're Confederate sympathizers and believe that the South will rise again? I think those people would be so xenophobic that anything that isn't American would be shunned with all the shunning that can shun. Slavery, and by extension its close relative indentured servitude, is a terrible institution that was banned for a reason. Anyone that supports it needs to check again who they think human rights apply to. The whole idea of slaves falling in love with their master is probably closer to Stockholms than any actual attraction. As terrible as that slavemancer WN is, at least it depicts accurately how much of an rear end in a top hat the MC is. I would actually rate it better than most of the other LN/WNs that has the MC involved in slavery (and rape), as it induces the proper reaction in you: disgust.

Not to paint an entire demographic with too broad a brush but, have you considered the type of people who're obsessed with Japan enough to actually find/translate non mainstream webnovels? Add onto that I can't imagine the prose in these things being too terribly difficult to figure out for amateurs in translation/Japanese.

Most of this crap is pure male power fantasies and the people who seek them out don't always have the most healthy respect/mindset towards other humans(especially women) or are too young to really consider how absolutely lovely the ideas that are being glossed over in "Well, I saved them from being beaten by their owner and they totally love me despite being magically coerced into doing my bidding" rationalization.

To summarize: Gross people gonna do/enjoy gross things.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I wouldn't necessarily put too much hope into earlier Er Gen works. Xian Ni is a clusterfuck after about 100 chapters. ISSTH is amazing but it's his most recent series and shows his growth as a writer.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Novel Summary posted:

Only a small group of young girls, the Leprechauns, can wield the ancient weapons needed to defeat these creatures. Into the girls’ unstable and fleeting lives, where a call to certain death could come at any moment, enters an unlikely character: a young man who lost everything five hundred years ago, the last living human awakened from a long, icy slumber.

Japan is weird. Very weird.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yeah, without your effort post I never would have given it a try. Dunno if it is to my tastes yet though, since exactly one chapter has been translated and it is a prologue.

Okay, complete aside but what the hell is going on in the background of your avatar. Is that the hairy monster from Looney Toons?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Link to the full translation? I've only seen it on oniichanyamete and it's been a month since the last chapter

When in doubt I use http://www.novelupdates.com/ . But Oniichanyamete posted a chapter two days ago, I believe they're the primary source for current translations (the person you're replying to didn't say it was fully translated but that Oniichanyamete was fully retranslating it because of the poor quality of the original translation).

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 26, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

rizzen posted:

Agreed. It's been hilariously good so far. Really cementing itself as my favourite of all the silly translated poo poo I read.

Well, insofar as I've read from people who're up to date on the raws, the quality remains or even improves as it goes along. Barring a wet fart of an ending ala Coiling Dragon it's something that I'd be willing to pay money to own/recommend to others. Hell, if it were compiled and edited for it I think it'd make a great book.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Cynic Jester posted:

Good lord, Novel Updates, while great and eminently usable, also shows me just how deep the rabbithole goes. Apparently there is a WN going by 'When I Summoned a Succubus Slave, My Sister Is the One That Appeared' being translated. :wtc:

I tend to ignore everything being translated on that website. There's not a thing on there that isn't some sort of rape fetishism. Doesn't make NovelUpdates any less awesome though. I don't blame the aggregator for the content of some peoples blech fantasies.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

ahahahahahhaa, oh god. immortal god emperor is one of the many mediocre series i follow on and off. around chapter 70 it turned into a moba. i am not joking or exaggerating in any way.

edit: in chapter 74 someone explains that it is very important to last-hit creeps. all of this is played completely straight.

If you didn't notice his "Immortal Codex" movesets are so far: Jarvan IV, and Garen from League of Legends.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

DeafAsianQT posted:

I don't play MOBA's but this sounds amazing and makes me want to read it.

Haha, it's not a great series but I enjoy it. During the moba portion he even jungles/wards all played straight with appropriate in-universe terms.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Fleve posted:

I'm totally ok with Patriarch Reliance being the size of the sun and leaving a sun-sized hole in another mega-planet upon departure. Well, perhaps not totally ok because things of that size would probably have severe gravity consequences, but I'd be fine with hand-waving that away with 'formations' or the magic-equivalent of cultivation.

I started reading 'World of Cultivation'. Please tell me this is going to stay Zombie Farmville Xianxia for a significant amount of chapters. It's surprisingly fun to read about the farming adventures of an expressionless money-grubber. I also began reading Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World, but it seems a lot more shallow, probably more so because the translation is relying so much on machine translation and apparently very little on actually knowing the language.

It gets even better. He remains a money grubbing farmer in a sword sect and his elders all get pissed off cause all he does is make money and chill.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I am super super enjoying Xanxia Farmville. Even the mtl is incredibly readable and the pace/protagonist seem pretty great (so far, please no rape power ups).

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Read the token imouto character in the voice of macho man randy savage

Ohhh yeaaaa(nichan).

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

meng hao is more of a murder moses atm

More like murder Lupin III. I think my favorite recent moment is when he's frantically removing the shingles from the houses in the immortal land.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

around meng hao, how dares to cause strife?

From my experience with the novel so far? Pretty much everyone.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
While walking down the street an apple hit my head and I awakened my previous life memories. WHAAAA? I'M THE FAT OR SUPER PRETTY BUT STUCK UP BAD GUY FROM A FORGETTABLE GIRL-GAME WITH A FOOD-RELATED TITLE?

*A bunch of stupid onomatopoeia*

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I don't know about most women authors. But a bunch of male authors seem to use food to infantilize women and it bothers the living crap out of me.

Perfect example, Death March:

"Oh this crepe is soo sweet. And this is whipped cream? SO YUMMY!" *As she let out a girlish squeak while rubbing her cheeks girlishly.*

*Protagonist nods to himself* "Girls all love sweet things."

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 1, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Furious Lobster posted:

I guess learning alchemy is in essence cooking so the story has already progressed through that stage in ISSTH; it'd be a nice change of pace to see a Meng Hao murder cook arc appear though.

If not for the unfortunately few chapters translated so far I would recommend Chef of Fire and Ice whole heartedly. It's a, so far, fun as hell Xanxia about a magical cook who's burning for revenge(and cooking).

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone read "Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu to Nanatsu no Seiyaku"? I've read a few chapters and so far it has that "realistic" fantasy world element that I like so much from Grimgar.

Eh, the writer has a big case of "tell don't show" about the protagonist being such a cool, sensitive, caring, and self-effacing guy. It's fun-ish but don't expect anything great.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
How does a rock even cultivate? Is it an earth-vein?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

jwang posted:

My Disciple Died Yet Again.

There's a lot of slang and puns that's pretty hard to translate. The guys currently working on it is doing a good job translating it, but as usual there's things that get lost in translation.

YOUR SISTER'S DESIRE!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I feel like my least favorite thing about JP novels -has- to be all the loving onomatopoeia. It's the epitome of terrible writing and the stories that have even small amounts of it are immeasurably worse as a result.

It's also loving annoying to read/parse.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I think the hostile sect/academy thing makes sense more or less in-universe most of the time. Cultivation resources are at a premium so only the best get the best. Add to that the competition to prove you're the best and you get murder-school.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
World of Cultivation is proving to be the slow-burn novel that I enjoy the most. It manages to completely sidestep the most terrible portions of Xanxia while being really enjoyable. My only complaint is that, because it's so slow in developing, one chapter a day feels really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
“Dad, I don’t have enough Demon Stones. Please send a few more.” Shameless Hao is my favorite protagonist of any Xanxia ever.

• Locked thread