Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

organism posted:

I really liked this in the beginning because it seemed like, finally, an author was going to make good use of the whole "reincarnated in a medieval fantasy world with modern scientific knowledge" thing whereby the main character actually uses his knowledge of science to improve his magic.

My Disciple Died Yet Again has been pretty good with this, as far as I've seen, but the translator got a job and seems to have stalled out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Ehhh, but "Fang Mu goes to weed wizard college" was pretty great

In retrospect, though he didn't outright steal anyone's poo poo there and the change of pace made it one of my personal favorite segments, he's still conning the literal entire sect just by chilling there under an assumed name while they're all out for blood looking for him

booksnake fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 14, 2016

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

The reason I was able to stomach it in MT was because of the family stuff.
~snip
The story is far from perfect, but what it gets right it gets so right.

Arkeus posted:

Mushoku Tensei is pretty horrid all around yeah. It has this thing where it bends over backward to justify the MC being a horrible human being and basically does all the "once the MC bag the woman she is irrelevant" thing that the genre loves to do, where all non-MC character agency only happens if he isn't there.

I'm pretty sure it's so popular because people love having all the possible guilty pleasures of a MC being taken as the Greatest Quality Ever (o Worst Thing Ever, because when it comes down to it it's the same). Basically same reason Trump is so popular in some ways.

I'd like to share my story on Mushoku Tensei: started with the manga adaption, (where the fact the main character is a pervert felt somewhat subdued), crossed over to reading the WN translation after the chapter where he becomes, uh, friends? sort of? with Eris, had a good wholesome time reading about adventures in the demon continent, until they bone (strike one), powered through magic school where he reunites with his elf girlfriend (ultimately strike two but didn't seem that bad at the time), and then he goes off and gets his dad killed but gets double married (strike three, I'm out).

However, there's one shining moment in chapter 107, where he tries to console his sister who is shut up in her room and is filled with these doubts and memories of his own brother from his original life and it had this striking emotional impact to it. I'm not sure if it's actually good writing or if it's just something that resonated with me personally, though, so I've been hoping someone could weigh in on that.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 22, 2016

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm just going to keep posting quotes from How to Kill... because they're so good ya'll.
Gave it a shot.

The translation's good, agreed, but the pervert side of the weird conman-cheerleader premise keeps breaking my immersion

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Double Edit: Man, am I the only one that gets pissed off with the stupid loving summaries people put on novelupdates? Look at this poo poo:

What the gently caress does that mean!?

I don't know the cultural context of "valuable kidney" but I'd hazard the guess it's either

"Su Zhan Mo, did you get enough brain food growing up? You want me to bear 2 babies in 3 years, do you think I'm a brood sow?"

or

"Su Zhan Mo, what diet did they put you on to be so energetic? You want me to bear 2 babies in 3 years, do you think I'm a brood sow?"

Not to ignore your criticisms, because they're understandable, I just don't have any more to offer.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

ATTE should have yakety sax playing in the background constantly. (I just read the part where he's madsciencing pills on Purple Cauldron)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Immortal meridians are literal manifestations of someone bragging to the world "check out my bad self"? I'm simultaneously let down and amazed at the appropriateness of how petty this reveal is

• Locked thread