Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sinking Ship posted:

Yea I sort of feel like we might be missing important bits due to the quality of the translation but as long as it's just a spider running around doing spider things in a cave the gist of it get's across. It sort of falls apart in the side story bits where it's a barely understandable mess of poorly translated medieval politics or something which is a shame.

At least the spider doing spider things bits are fun to read.

Yeah, I've been tempted to go through and edit the translations into more coherent english, but I feel like the fact that I don't understand japanese at all would just be adding further separation from the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Given that the translator is already just using a machine translator, and that people have been talking about the translation being rough anyways, I tried tidying up the english on the first two chapters of Kumo Desu Ga.

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Looks Like I'm A Monster

There's definitely still some weirdness in there, but I at least hope it's somewhat better. Does anyone want more of these, or should I just not bother?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The multiple personalities in charge of different things has me imagining a bunch of tiny spiders piloting a larger spider, Star Trek-style. Her 5-year mission to explore strange new caves, to seek out new life and eat it, to boldly go where no spider has gone before.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I wonder what they'll even be in charge of. Webs? Will there be Kumos for different schools of magic?

"Information in charge! We've been spotted by the Earth Dragon!"
"Nai wa! Evasive maneuvers! Fire all Evil Eyes!"
"But the mana..."
"I don't care about the mana! Fire everything we've got! We have to bring that dragon's status down!"
"Yes sir!"
"All Magics, ready your best attacks! We're eating Dragon tonight!"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I say go for it. I'll still read his translations, because, well, ridiculous speed. But for something this good, it'd be a shame if the only English translation available was so bad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Honestly, while we'll all miss Kumoko a lot, the fact that there's clearly an overarching plan for the series has been one of its strengths. If this means that the story never takes the giant quality dive that most of these series seem to go through, then I'm fine with it.

Now it just needs a manga or anime adaptation. If Re:Monster and Slime Tensei could get them, it'd be criminal if Kumoko couldn't.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

blastron posted:

Hello I'm doing my part to make it easier to wade through the terrible garbage that we slog through:

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

I'm hoping to get a chapter done every day. Feedback is always appreciated.

This is possibly me just having Stockholm syndrome, but I kinda miss the Nai Waaaaa. Yes, she's saying 'No Way!', but there was something endearing about it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kumoko, no! I understand that humans are delicious piles of experience, and they did kind of burn down your home, but mercilessly slaughtering them is bad!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really look forward to Shun coming out the other side of the labyrinth and discovering that everyone there worships a magical healing spider goddess.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kumoko is just the best. Demon King and the Hero? Christ, that's some absurd power.

If anyone ever actually successfully appraises her, they are going to be goddamn confused,

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 14, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really like how even though Kumoko is outrageously powerful now, the story is still really engaging. Really goes to show how making advances feel earned can help. Although Slime Tensei and Re: Monster have their own unique flaws, they both powered up the protagonist way too fast and that pretty much killed the story. Even when Kumoko's had inflection points in her power level--like evolutions, or when she picked up Pride or Wisdom, she was still far from the strongest thing in the dungeon, and when she *did* eventually get to the point where she could kill Alaba, we'd already been shown that there are larger overarching concerns with the Administrators, and she still didn't feel comfortable taking on the remaining Earth Dragons as a group. She's on the surface now, and still has to face the problem of "I have no clue what anybody is saying, and if I just go around slaughtering humans I'll have an Adminstrator come in and wreck my poo poo".

It's really very well done.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure Shiro is Kumoko after another evolution or two. The Demon King is also Kumoko--that is, she's the parallel will that was formerly Body-in-Charge, and then started working on assimilating the old Demon King, and therefore being referred to as Maou-in-Charge. Of course, it could still be the other way around. Remember, the old Demon King was human-shaped, but was still actually a member of the Taratect family, which is why Kumoko was able to try and assimilate here in the first place.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 24, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think we should all take a moment to congratulate Kumoko on her recent acquisition of hands and vocal cords. It's a big step forward for her!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I like how "Gotta protect the students" turned into "Whoops I turned most of my students into prisoners living a lovely agrarian lifestyle while I go off doing whatever, maybe should've thought this through more".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

All hail our glorious Spider Goddess. Really wonder where the story's going to go from here now that she's--I think--an Administrator.

Also bleh, I'm not really looking forward to nine straight chapters of no Kumoko.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kumoko's going to be getting a light novel adaptation! :toot:

Let's hope it can make the next step after that, too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The only issue I've ever had with the side chapters is that they tend to suffer from the machine translation more than the Kumoko ones do, and I end up having a hard time keeping track of who's who--Firimes is Sensei, and Hyrinth is the half-elf, right? And while I could very easily be wrong, the 'barrier' that everyone was talking about was actually a robot army in the forest? Or did those robots just come out of nowhere?

That said, today's chapters were a hell of a payoff. Here's the chapter where Shun and Katia discuss Kumoko's identity. Can't say that I was expecting that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

are there any light novels left that arent mmos

I assume yes, but the people posting in this thread aren't particularly inclined to read things in the vein of "I Was An Ordinary High School Student But Now I'm A Light Novel Protagonist And The Entire Premise Is Spelled Out In The Title?! (And Also My Sister Is Part Of My Harem?!)"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Alright, I have to admit I've become kind of lost about what's what for Kumo right now, so I'm just going to type out my understanding in hopes that I can get corrected.

At some point, the fantasy world was a normal, even futuristic, world, in which they tapped into the MA field--basically soul energy--for power. Things wind up going badly because ???, and D comes into power. D pretty much remakes the world, setting up an elaborate system of 'skills'. The process of gaining skills pretty much builds up your own MA energy, and when you die that energy is all reclaimed by the system. So it's all set up to maximize collection of MA energy. At first, D is the only administrator, I think? Maybe Sariel (goddess of that one not-Divine Word religion, I don't think we've actually seen her). Ariel, the Origin Taratect, is around before the system is set up, and just kind of slowly amasses power, because she's actually sort of cowardly. She's powerful, but not a god/admin. Gyuri started off as an Earth Dragon, but managed to ascend to admin status, I think?

So the system goes for a while, until eventually the Hero and Demon King team up to try and kill D with a giant blast of Dimension Magic. They fail, but in the process they drain a shitload of MA energy out of the system, and blow up Kumo's class. Now, the world is kind of creaking to an end because the system was destabilized by the massive energy loss. Ariel (now fused with Kumo, and therefore considerably sillier than before) plans to have a giant war between Demons and Humans in order to inject energy back into the system, without really caring about who wins.

The ruling Elf, Potimas, seems to be aware of all this, and has led the Elves in an effort to basically starve out the system and bring everything to collapse. The Pope of the Divine Word religion is also aware of this, and is working extra-hard at the religion's secret purpose of maximizing MA energy gains.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Like wines, excellent brats do get better with age, but there is always the risk of a brat going bad, so continued vigilance is important to maintain quality. After all, nobody likes a spoiled brat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Well, we're pretty much all caught up on Kumoko now, so our daily fix is going to have to drop dramatically. I feel like what we're getting is the last bit of setup before we proceed from the Elf Village battle, and then our storylines are all going to be going at about the same timeframe. We'll probably shift back to Kumoko's perspective when that happens, too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It has that exact mix you have on something like 4chan (More /tg/ than other boards, but still) where a given topic will have a couple people discussing it earnestly, a bunch of people posting dumbass comments (Ai'm for the top of the world with JUDO!), and the people whining about their fetishes endlessly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I like how Meng Hao's solution to problems invariably boils down to "THROW LOTS OF MONEY AND/OR FLYING SWORDS AT IT". He's just brute-forcing his way to enlightenment and it's great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I like how there's no sense of scale whatsoever in ISSTH. Everything is ludicrously gigantic, and the numbers of everything are ridiculously high, civilization has been going for precisely forever, and the world is downright littered with ancient loot and dungeons made by weird eccentrics. It's fantastic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Book 3 of ISSTH has been really great. Meng Hao definitely earned the vacation of just relaxing and making pills all day. The most recent event specifically, the tenth Dao pillar is a bit of an eye roll, given that he already has a Perfect Foundation, but it's still been great overall.

I just can't wait for him to reveal himself in front of everyone at some critical juncture. The cries of MENG HAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO!!! will be glorious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It's sort of a matter of intent--a lot of cultivators seem to set their sights just on getting further, without necessarily caring about how they match up with their peers. Sure, you may have reached Late Foundation Establishment with a crappy-rear end Fractured Foundation, but that still gets you sweet benefits, plus you still outclass all the Qi Condensation cultivators by miles, and you probably still kick the poo poo out of all the Early Foundation Establishment cultivators, and probably the Mid ones that aren't Dao Children or Chosen. Sure, maybe you could have spent 50 years to make that a cracked foundation instead, but if you aren't trying to be Mr. Bigshot anyways, why bother? You still have plenty of people to beat up on, and that's 50 years you're spending on reaching Core Formation instead, at which point you outclass all the Foundation Establishment dudes regardless of what type of foundation they have, plus you get the sweet perks of that, too. I actually kind of want to meet a character who's progressed through all the stages in the worst possible way.

Meng Hao, on the other hand, has a bit of a complex about being weaker than somebody else. So he does everything he can to assure that he will be the absolute best among people at his level--at Qi Condensation this was mostly related to magical items, but he took great pains to join the Inner Sect, then to get the Flawless Foundation Scripture, even before he started venturing into "murder the gods and topple their thrones" territory. He can't allow himself to just beat the game, he has to get the high score, too. And he plans far ahead for this--he was considering how he would get the Core Formation techniques of the Violet Fate sect (to lead into a Golden Core) before he had even achieved a Perfect Foundation. Because as part of his need to be the very best like no one ever was, he inevitably has to challenge Heaven, because he can't stand Heaven outclassing him either.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

From what I'm hearing you guys say (I've only read ISSTH), it sounds like Meng Hao kind of works better when you haven't read other Xianxia stuff, because then he's not just falling on the shallow end of the "MC is an rear end in a top hat" scale, it's "Meng Hao is a pretty reasonable guy all told but he lives in a world of assholes and he's not about to bend over for them". Speaking of ISSTH, it was good to see Grandmaster Pill Demon just go "gently caress the tradition that I started, you're all good enough to be Violet Furnace Lords, you all get a promotion". It's nice to see the protagonist have success that doesn't have to be at the expense of someone else.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Not that it's necessarily born out by the actual story, but I get the impression that the world of ISSTH is stuffed to the goddamn brim with unique magical bullshit, and Meng Hao just started in the most backwater of backwaters. Like, back in the State of Zhao, there were people who were fairly impressive, or had some kind of reputation for themselves because holy poo poo guys, they're in FOUNDATION ESTABLISHMENT, except in come the Southern Domain cultivators who just point out "ahahaha you guys are all such hilarious garbage, look, their flying swords are all made of tin! They think Foundation Establishment is a big deal!" It's completely true, too--outside of Patriarch Reliance, the entire State is really puny.

So Meng Hao makes it to the top of the State of Zhao and he's got this sweet FLYING RAIN DRAGON SPIRIT and MANA-DRAINING SWORDS and BUTT EXPLOSIONS, and now he is narrowly qualified to hack it in the Southern Domain. And he goes there. And because he is a quick thinker, outrageously lucky, and also determined to be the absolute strongest, he manages to make his way up the ranks, and he forms his Dao Pillars, picks up another random legacy of BLOOD, and while he's got more artifacts than most people, pretty much everyone he runs across has some super sweet artifact or technique or whatever going on. And yeah, the fact that he's maxing out his Cultivation at every rank is phenomenal, but because of how much of a gap there is between tiers, that doesn't count for as much as it might seem like. And now not only are we starting to see guys from other regions that make the Southern Domain start to look a little puny, we've got a guy from an entire different planet who eats Flying Rain Dragons for breakfast and you realize that not only is the Southern Domain insignificant compared to those other regions, the entire *planet* is insignificant. He'll travel to another world and there'll probably be people with perfect foundations all over the place or something.

Basically the world is just absurd and I love it. If you're a cultivator and you *don't* have some super unique special thing going on, you're doing something seriously wrong.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tamba posted:

It's even better (Kumoko ch 217) Kumoko aktually was a spider that was living in the classroom. D just gave her some fake memories

That is pretty much the best possible reveal. Now I *really* want Kumo to supplant D. Chase your dreams, little spider! You can get there!

As for the LN cover, I wish she was more of a traditional black and red spider, because I honestly think that would be cuter, and would be absolutely fantastic in animated form. You could have so much fun conveying things through spider body language and the usual anime shortcuts of sweat drops, bulging forehead veins, and that kind of blue effect with the lines.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Oh my god she's adorable. :swoon:

I love how generic - spider she looks, color aside. The artist is doing such good work making her emote, it's hilarious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Boy, I sure can't wait for Meng Hao to get out of the Western Desert. It's already pretty well established how he's going to break through into the Nascent Soul stage, I want to see what he'll come up with for Spirit Severing. After that it's... Dao Seeking, and then Immortal Ascension? And then we probably have a bunch of weird poo poo after that that we haven't even begun to touch on. The numbers continue to be the best part of ISSTH, though. Reading an intense battle and then having it mentioned that one of them closed to within 3000 meters of the other was hilarious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ISSTH also really doesn't act like Meng Hao is a morally straight guy, either. Sure, he does a decent chunk of good in the world, and there are definitely lots of cultivators who are far worse, but at the end of the day it acknowledges that he's a self-interested kleptomaniacal rear end in a top hat. But he's our self-interested kleptomaniacal rear end in a top hat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really wish that Men Hao didn't insist on choosing the absolutely least interesting love interest.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't see how anyone is ever supposed to do the pagoda without cheating.

I don't think you *are* supposed to, really. Talented people can get a good reward by reaching level 10, really skilled people can make it to 20, and presumably true elites could make it to 40 or 50 (note that they aren't participating this time around), but above that you either have to be ludicrously good, or you have to follow true Cultivator tradition and cheat your rear end off at every last opportunity.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Interesting to think that Meng Hao has almost reached the same level of Patriarch Reliance (or at least, the human clone of Patriarch Reliance). Spirit Severing seemed so incredibly far away before, and now he's knocking on its doorstep. It's just Dao Seeking, which we've heard basically nothing about, and Immortal Ascension left, right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Algid posted:

Remember how he was thinking about how the sect was named 'Immortal Demons Sect', and if that meant everyone was an immortal? Of course the power levels don't end there.

Oh, I know that that's only going to be the beginning, but he's still closing in (sort of) on the top of the current power scale. He's come a long way!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

So what's the difference between Meng Hao's Eternal cultivation base as compared to his Perfect cultivation base, besides just 'it is better'? Am I right in understanding that to reach Dao Fruit, you have to have a Perfect base and then sever it, and to go from Dao Fruit to Eternal requires for you to have died (except through whatever means don't actually die)?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cultivators aren't cutthroat enough for corporations, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Someone in this thread posted that cultivators are basically highly-excitable small dogs and at no point have I ever seen compelling evidence that says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I would guess that while we've probably got a little ways to go, we're fairly close to our conclusion of the arc. He's probably going to use his 3rd severing to get out of the cage, and from there it'll just be a case of beating the crap out of the North on a power trip, a bit of denouement with his parents popping up, and then he's off to the East.

• Locked thread