Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe it's because I didn't read shield hero, but Tensei's MC is pretty creepy from chapter 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tamba posted:

The smallest one are small copper coins, which are worth 10 Rion for some reason.

Nobody likes pennies

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like blastron posted the first chapter for honzuki :toot:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like honzuki is starting to pick up the pace. Thanks for translating blastron :3:

blastron posted:

Could someone braver than me confirm if this is a real novel or not, TIA

Every translator has to have a creepy LN on their site, right? right?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Your translation/writing is also drastically better than all the other fan LN translations I've seen. It's really nice to read one of these things and not constantly be distracted by the bad writing.

From what I've heard in this thread, the source material is also much better written than other LNs. It is certainly nice having more than 1 sentence per paragraph anyways

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

On the other hand, reading brother or sister in every line of dialog is pretty annoying, while it feels a little less annoying as -ge/jie because I'm used to hearing that in chinese. Most of the time honorifics can be dropped without losing anything, but it seems most translators either leave it in chinese/japanese or translate it every time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, I still enjoy bad wn's that don't get gross and rapey. For example, I recently read volume 15 of everyone's favorite, Mahouka. Apparently Tatsuya deeply disapproves of the very idea of homosexuality, despite how tremendously gay he and every other male character is.

I just can't get enough of that kind of garbage.

Edit: Also the homosexuals were filthy gaijin tourists and not upright citizens of nippon, naturally.

Uh, enjoy volume 16 then.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

darkgray posted:

Omgggggggggggggggggggggggg, someone's translating the manga!

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-r18488

I think. I can't see since I'm not logged in, but it should be there!

There's a translation up for the first chapter :syoon:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Or more likely people read whatever translation has the most recent chapters out, and the quickest way to do that turns out worse translations. Thanks for doing honzuki though, it's one of the best things I'm reading right now

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

In other manga adaptation news, Honzuki's second chapter is out by easy going scans

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The whole "sponsored chapter" thing always seems shady as hell, especially when you can easily see the translation isn't very good

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Man maybe I don't read a lot of translations, but chapter 2 of this has to be the worst I've ever read. Like, good on the guy for trying but if you're bad at both languages why bother?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Man this week's honzuki chapter :stare:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:gonk:

Why would anyone even bother translating that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly you probably should pay attention to that. If I see oniichanyamete is doing something, I automatically give it a go.

Paying attention to TLs you like doesn't mean you have to know all of the bad ones

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

This is like being shocked that a playboy magazine is a playboy magazine. You should know them by now if you've been using novelupdates a bunch. And if you don't, well now you do.

More like not knowing what's in playboy magazine when you go to the newsstand to buy TIME or something. Sure you can see the cover, but you're sure as hell not opening them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I read the first 15 or so chapters of that from the first translator and it didn't seem too terrible at least as far as these stories go. I think around the time where the first translator dropped the series, it was starting to get into the weirder and potentially terrible parts--I stopped reading around then because the translations stopped and never bothered to pick it back up because I had enough other things to read

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ranking on novelupdates is not really useful information.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

At least OSO is also in the top 25...barely

Bookworm rules, easily one of the best if not best of the "X in a different world, use previous knowledge for advantage" LNs that I've come across

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

jon joe posted:

Oh wait, I checked it out and it isn't what I was thinking, I haven't read this at all. Read the first chapter and you are correct, it is good!

:thumbsup: . You might have mixed it up with Konjiki no Moji Tsukai which also has a book obsessed person but is also worse and more generic

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The medical manga Jin is pretty cool too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously the best person to send back is Maine.

Thanks for the new chapter, blastron :3:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think I'm reading anything that I would really recommend aside from honzuki. There might be more, but I read a lot of garbage and can't keep track of all of it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

blastron posted:

*cough cough* there's this really cool story called "Ascendance of a Bookworm" that some goon is translating and i think it's pretty good, albeit kinda slow, so check it out and maybe add it to the OP

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/

:whip:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

They may as well have announced that last week when they announce a big announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Knights and magic is...okay? Like it's a story about an op reincarnated guy with mechs, and if that doesn't sound good to you then you won't like it.

jon joe posted:

Knights and magic is one of worst translations I've read, but the story premise and plot was . . . satisfactory. You can do worse. Of course, I stopped reading pretty early due to the translation, so someone pipe up if it has slaves or other such poo poo.

I'm not sure because I have no idea what's going on after the skythewood translations stopped. If it was still getting readable translations (bakadogeza does not qualify as readable), then I'd probably still be reading it because it's at least better than a lot of stuff that I've read. The only 'translation' that i've seen that was worse was a case where the 'translator' wasn't proficient in either japanese or english.

• Locked thread