Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jellycat posted:

I like to imagine there are Japanese people shaking their fists about how light novels were better back when it was all Slayers and 12 Kingdoms and Kino's Journey.

People say this about young adult novels pre-Harry Potter so that sounds like a safe bet, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Haha, yea I know right? But it's up over on baka-tsuki and that's how the author is branding it because it's some sort of fan-translator hobby project as far as I can tell. Also format and content are light novel-ish ...but you're completely right which is why I wasn't 100% sure it was appropriate to post - a friend passed it to me without letting me know it was English original and it was up on bt so I just assumed... :saddowns:

Just skimming the prose in that thing and I guess now I know what a novel written by someone who only consumes fan-translated light novels would look like, jeez.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime is good, actually

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

That's not a light novel then

What about novels that are Japanese but neither light nor web

Is it just me or is "web novel" a really cutesy way to avoid the stigma of being called a self-published novel

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

There's still a stigma but people have no self awareness in tyool 2015

As someone who doesn't bother with it, the stuff that people wind up talking about come across to me like this hyper-focused, checklist-y sorta thing. For when regular ol genre stuff doesn't satisfy very specific needs, I guess.

• Locked thread