Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
With those types of stories they really need you to accept the fantastical premise that everyone that plays mmorpgs for any length of time doesn't have some mix of OCD, autism, and antisocial personality disorder at work. Because really, it doesn't matter how poo poo skills are said to be. Someone made a list telling you exactly how poo poo it is with every other skill in all possible uses, probably with videos and screenshots. Why? Because gently caress you, gently caress the game, and also gently caress himself. That's why. A game in which you can craft poo poo where every single possible means of making something isn't in an easily searchable database? Bullshit. I can probably find an entire series of websites dedicated just to in game fashion, where to find it, what crafts it, and what things can complete a look for a set that doesn't take up all your slots.

Crazy VR games that read your mind? Fine, totally believable. Probably be there in....30 years. A game where people don't instantly spoil all possible things because reasons? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PaulMorel posted:

It's a good question. Why?

Why do people read those Harry Potter books, anyway?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The fundamental conceit of all "The story is about a mmorpg" settings is "Everyone but the main character is a retarded person and doesn't do incredibly basic things that people do playing games, and also nobody communicates about game mechanics at all". I mean I look at what it takes to, say, make a Super Novice in Ragnarok Online and then I look at these stories and I go "This main character known for his grinding is kind of a chickenshit, I've spent more time traveling around game worlds to jump off things naked and take pictures of it". Actually there's a whole lot less naked gameplay than you'd expect. Anyone can rock the world with a ton of super rare drops, weird people take down bosses with no gear on and the most basic abilities they can get away with. Who cares that someone with the best drops does something amazing? Of course they would.

e: Also there needs to be like 8000% more being horrifically embarrassed by the stupid poo poo people say on teamspeak.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 13, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The reason the Princess does terrible things is because the Shield Hero is traditionally the only hero that supports the slave races, aka the only hero that actually acts like a hero. As her kingdom relies on the slave races for it's power, she fakes a rape attempt to destroy his credibility and continues screwing with him to try and keep him down. They can't actually kill him before the threat is over, so she does everything up to that. I mean it doesn't make it a particularly good story, but I have to give the smallest amount of credit and admit she had a totally logical reason for being so cartoonishly evil.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You know, it's actually one of the best translations out there when you realize the person doing it doesn't understand the original or the target language very well. That's quite the handicap to overcome to reach "Readable, makes sense and tells a story that is probably closely related to the actual story".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's functionally no difference between a lot of VRRMO stories and Wuxia ones, it's all banging your levels against some other dude's levels, but the protagonist has a better quality of levels/some cheat item or ability. It's just that a VRRMO story probably just has it as a straight number, and Wuxia will call it "Celestial refinement" or some bullshit and also a number. Also they both have people that are completely retarded and continue to be shocked that some person did the completely obvious thing that real people would do to reach ultimate power. VRRMO stories are slightly worse about that, especially when it comes to crafting and/or online guides. Nobody in these games ever crafts properly and nobody ever makes a normal loving guide that explains poo poo, because clearly that would give up their amazing advantage that nobody actually has compared to the protagonist that shows up and randomly starts dicking around.

I want the VRRMO that has a western guild invasion that just poses dead bodies in the shape of a giant dick or organizes massive dance meets....shaped like a giant dick. Protagonist shows up to grind for 20 hours, but is shamefully defeated by a server crash caused by the guild "Gay4Pay2Play" logging their hundreds of players on and out at the same spot rapidly for a few minutes straight. The protagonist's guild is destroyed at the last minute before a big battle by the leader giving his account information to a cam whore he met in the game that is secretly a member of the enemy guild who then proceeds to steal out of the guild vault and then disband the guild.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

DeafAsianQT posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more talk and translations of legendary moonlight sculptor, isn't it really popular?

It's another of those stories like Ark where the main character is kind of an unlovable piece of poo poo but you are supposed to be really invested because reasons. Amazingly, most people don't stay invested.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's also the fact that the crazy fetish poo poo is more likely to get translated, rather than the middle of the road 'Just an entertaining story stuff". So some story about a dude that bangs straight up zombies during a zombie apocalypse? That gets a translator, of course. Crest/Banner of the Stars? Man, have to loving knife fight people to get that poo poo translated.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Srice posted:

What about novels that are Japanese but neither light nor web

Is it just me or is "web novel" a really cutesy way to avoid the stigma of being called a self-published novel

The internet kind of took all the stigma out of self-publishing, as now you can upload your best selling novel "Taken By a Gay Dinosaur" to Amazon and sell it for a dollar, and make a million off fetish viewers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Purgation actually might be fitting considering the skill she gained for it, but a cleaner and easier translation would probably just be "Cleansing".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Well it's not so much they spook easily as horses are one of the most profoundly stupid animals on the planet and are fairly death prone if they do......basically anything. You are holding out an apple and the horse is excited and whoops she just tripped over her own feet and snapped her neck. "From the moment horses are born, they spend their entire lives trying to kill themselves" and all that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

The gross spider stuff was never as important as Kumoko being a hilarious failure as a person

Hey, she's not a failure as a person. She's an amazing success story as a spider!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

darkgray posted:

Oh, stop crying about this. You can't write cool stories without slavery, because you'd have to avoid vikings, and vikings are what make stories cool.

I like how they are basically feral poor people that randomly murderer folks better off than them only to have their entire civilization collapse after a few generations of doing that because nobody actually wants to be a Viking at the end of the day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Overlord ended up being mostly an excuse to write (?!?) guro, sadly. It was funny how I liked the premise and a lot of the characters but everything the author eventually did with them was terrible.

You could basically make that last line the LN thread title.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
.....yes. poo poo doesn't really get real until her third incarnation, and there's an almost sinister overtone to her fourth incarnation because of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Reading ISSTH leaves me with the impression that martial artists are a form of small dog, with all the panting and vacillation they do between wild excitement and frozen in fear. One second they are arrogant and aggressive, the next they are completely dumbfounded. Like I feel like 90% of their interactions could be perfectly replicated if you took a Shih Tzu and replaced it's bark with saying "Power levels".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And whiter. Taller and whiter. I assume the end of this arc he'll just be a 17 story burning sun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair I'm pretty sure the writer of 50 Shades has been open about the fact it was her masturbatory fan-fiction.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's not quite as depressing an ending as all that, but his life is bittersweet. Mostly due to the fact it's just barely a reincarnation story. If he were always a demon he probably wouldn't feel it quite so harshly, but then again his outlook is probably what allowed him to be a Lord of Sloth and Melancholia in the first place. He's depressed a lot of the time, but he's also able to rest forever. There are things he cares about and hangs on to over the years, even if he's forgotten context a bit. He does have hopes for the future, even if they are mostly "Might get killed some day". Considering he's the Evil God and his perspective is still human, even that somewhat suicidal wish is a bit hopeful. And remember that it is a reincarnation story. Death doesn't mean the same when you know there's something after it. So it's not the happiest ending for everyone, but it's not quite totally nihilistic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Hope springs eternal and a religious war is the sort of thing that might draw God killing forces, even if it's a bit annoying. And it wasn't really a plan, it was more a desire to let go of regret. If she killed him, she killed him. If he killed her, he killed her. Either way he'd be facing her as a Demon Lord and she could come at him as a Hero, which is what he felt she deserved. It wasn't just about him wanting to die. And even that failure was a step forward for both of them. She got to make a friend and finally end her horrific crusade, and he gets to be with her forever. And maybe one day she'll get loose again, and who knows? Mostly though, it's hard to be too hosed when you can quite simply sleep for thousands and thousands of years. The things that hurt him he can eventually forget, and the few things he cares about stick around. It's not the greatest existence, but he is inclined to forget the worst parts of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

Latest Thought Through Eternity (116): Holy crap! That monkey is even cooler than I thought looks like things are about to kick into gear soon.

ATTE is like he figured out what he really loved doing in ISSTH, removed everything else, and doubled down. It's both funnier and has more heart. That rabbit, you'd think there'd be a limit to how often you can throw out the same joke in rapid succession. And yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Krunge posted:

Oh look, I'm exactly right. And it's another "Great Circle". What's even is a great circle?:allears:

Truly it is the great journey of life, like his Dao, and immortal meridians are the friends he made along the way.

Also it's a really useful guide for how long an arc will be, because we know it will go until he reaches or exceeds whatever awesome point someone just talked about.

• Locked thread