Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of 'just novels', anyone who wants to read a decent English book in the genre of video game protagonist breaks the system, there's the two books of Epic and Saga (Saga is the sequel). Some excerpts from Epic's wikipedia page:

Wikipedia posted:

Epic follows the life of a boy named Erik Haraldson and his involvement in a game called Epic. Epic is a virtual game, but is considered by all the inhabitants of New Earth as much more. A generic fantasy game, Epic echoes World of Warcraft and Everquest, but the entire population of New Earth play the game, as its rewards directly affect their income, social standing and careers.

Wikipedia posted:

As an expression of his discontent with the world, Erik had gone against convention in making a human female avatar, which he named Cindella and had deliberately chosen an almost unknown character class, swashbuckler. He put all of his ability points into beauty, which most players consider a waste, as beauty has no benefit in battle. This, incidentally, is the cause for the bland, gray characters that predominate in Epic. But curiously, the tale takes a twist and Erik inherits much wealth from his investment in beauty as the game itself begins to respond to his unique avatar.

Ain't it just magical. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

Epic was decent enough, it's got a YA novel feel though.

Considering it's won multiple children's book awards, yeah, that's an understatement.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
By the way, for those of you who enjoy Ark but can't stand Japtem's glacial translating pace, this guy does machine translations. They're rougher than Japtem's, but perfectly understandable and leagues better than google translate. He releases a new translation every 2-3 days.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jwang posted:

Zhan Long was a guilty pleasure for me, especially since I binged it when I should have been doing other stuff. At over 1k chapters, I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a "light" novel. It's also a wish fulfillment story, where a badass martial arts master plays an VRMMORPG and becomes even more badass because of it, gets all the girls, and is a tactical genius that takes down chimeric drug dealing monsters as a SWAT team leader. Granted, not everything is handed to him on a platter, and he gets his rear end handed to him multiple times, but it treads really close to the Mary Sue/Gary Stu line, especially later on when he gets some ridiculously bullshit drops. I think it's translated as Tyrant's Armor Set or something like that, but basically before it was nerfed, the armor set allowed for 30% increase of all stats every death that's unlimited, resetting only upon death. Also, his mainhand sword is also ridiculously powerful, adding 1% to base damage for every PK. It starts out as unlimited, nerfed to 100%, then later on upgraded back up to +2% base damage per PK up to 400%.

Also, while some people might gripe about him not being unique with his class change to Swordsman archetype, but his instructor teaches him some really ridiculous abilities, making him an incomparable death machine like Lubu. In WvW battles, as soon as he shows up everyone goes "Oh poo poo" and tries to focus fire him down.

Did you read it in the original language, or is there some translation other than the gravity translations one?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy all these silly VRMMO/reincarnation into an RPG world story, even some of the more poorly written ones, but I don't know why. Every element I can place a preference for can be accomplished just as well, or better, without RPG trappings.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

What about novels that are Japanese but neither light nor web

Is it just me or is "web novel" a really cutesy way to avoid the stigma of being called a self-published novel

Well, to me, web-novel is more accurate than self-published, because it brings it on the same level as web-comic, where it is created for a particular format. We tend to notice they are broken down into very short sections because, like a web-comic, they are produced and published piece-by-piece (serialized) instead of all at once like a classical novel (self-published or not). Hypothetically, a web-novel could be published by a company whose business model is collecting many of them into a central location and generating ad-revenue, making it a traditional publication in a web format. South Korean web-toons are often published in this format.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 1, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Somebody in the comments section of Kumo mentioned it, but there's another web novel featuring psychic spiders called Mother of Learning. The twist is: It's written in English. The other twist is: It's really well written.

You can read it here. The basic plot is an average wizard student gets stuck in a groundhog day type situation.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

The last few chapters of I shall seal the Heavens have been amazing, good lord. Recommended reading for everyone.

Reading ISSTH is immoral!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Accurate, except for one thing:

Spider gotta eat!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

Is it kosher to talk about manga adaptations of LNs? Because Re-Monster is loving terrible. I stopped a while ago because it looked interesting in the beginning, but then it started to feel like some Mary-Sue bs on a scale Kirito could only hope to dream of. Then I read the chapter today and it's basically "I gave some elves some aphrodisiacs and now they're totally wet for me, I'm also loving amazing".
Is the actual LN that bad? I can't imagine it'd be worse.

It gets worse: The translators of the Re-Monster light novel decided to insert their fan fiction sex scenes into the translation. On top of an already terrible light novel.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FriggenJ posted:

Additionally the series starts out by giving him a super powerful item that makes enemies butts explode. It's fairly well written and there are very few "I AM EVIL TO BE EVIL" enemies that tend to flood these stories.

Plus he has a talking hat.

Please do not talk about his talking hat, that is very immoral.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like how Meng Hao's solution to problems invariably boils down to "THROW LOTS OF MONEY AND/OR FLYING SWORDS AT IT". He's just brute-forcing his way to enlightenment and it's great.

It's like, he's the only cultivator to realize the world's unfair, but that's fine, he can use that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

I drop any lovely wn if the protagonist rapes someone or acquires a slave that they don't immediately free. Otherwise, I generally keep reading them so long as they aren't boring.

I have very low standards.

This is the light novel thread. We all have very low standards.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jwang posted:

History's Number 1 Founder is a series that lampshades the whole Xianxia series. From having game elements to the various trials that a main character goes through, it has it all. It's like reading the Spaceballs version of your typical xianxia web novel. I need to read the Chinese version of it to see how far it goes downhill, but then again it might be decent in a non-ironic fashion.

This isn't very well written or translated, but hell, for lines like this:

Story posted:

Even though Lin Feng doesn’t know whether he is carrying an old grandpa around with him, or picked up a super god item outside, or maybe found a godly manual from the crappy books in his parents’ belongings…

I'm willing to read it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Arkeus posted:

My biggest annoyance in ISSTH is how many of those 'never heard of' things Meng Hao stumble on for no reason.

I really hope they are all things that are pretty common elsewhere, because it's geetting super-grating how much the setting seems to rely on people having really low quality cultivation so that Meng Hao stumbling on better quality makes everything much easier.

At least there is some kind of philosophical bent for Alchemy/enlightenement where he seems to actually have to look for answers.

Well, the author stated in several places that his incredibly cultivation feats were more common (but still rare) in the far-flung past, so he's not treading new water here. He's just a big fish in a small pond right now, but that's never been a secret.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

So Coiling Dragon is translated. The first half was solid but gods shouldn't have been a thing

Really, I thought Coiling Dragon was pretty solid throughout the school arc, but once he graduated it was all downhill from there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

That's pretty much where people stopped developing and numbers started increasing instead.

Power level is character development, right?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

Remember when Linley sculpted?

Remember when he first found Bloodviolet and there were all these little hints throughout the story that it was going to be really important and then nothing happened?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The world isn't fair and Meng Hao is the protagonist because it's ultimately unfair in his favor.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

It's even better (Kumoko ch 217) Kumoko aktually was a spider that was living in the classroom. D just gave her some fake memories

Hahahahahahaha oh my gosh I need to pick up where I left off if that's the case. That's pretty much perfect.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

It helps that they are profoundly unimpressed by Meng Hao in general.

Well of course, Meng Hao is just some chump in the grand scheme of things. He's a big fish in a tiny pond, punching slightly above his weight-class to any amphibians that try anything, but still needs to run away from fishermen. I think I lost the Dao somewhere in that metaphor, see if you can find it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good works in the "regular person gets misunderstood as a godly battle-monster" genre? I like manga like those and I think it'd be funny to read one of these stories like that, especially if it's ISSTH-like.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it just how male writers get around writing for the opposite sex?

Probably.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That ISSTH even has an end, makes me sad.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for never shutting up about OSO, BlitzBlast. Started reading and it's just the right in-between of an MMO and laid-back LN.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jwang posted:

If you like chill laid back LN/WN, then Ryouriban is for you. To summarize it in one sentence, it's conquering the world inadvertently through amazing cooking. It's pretty amusing to read since it cycles between the MC, the affected person, and later on the antagonist/3rd party.

I notice lot of LN do that "Jump in the affected party's head for a chapter" thing, it's almost always the best part or worst part, depending on how good they are at making me care about the character.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I stopped reading My Disciple around the time she got and kept her pet post-death, mainly because I didn't feel like she was doing anything, just that things were being done to her. Does that change at all?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Algid posted:

The reason there's so many numbers in ISSTH being 3-something meters is because standard distance measurement is "fathom", which is about 3.3 Chinese meters, occasionally Chinese inches and miles are used. The units of time measurements are instant, breaths, stick of incense, 2-hours, and one time that I recall, a "bell" or "clock cycle", which I assume is around 1 hour.

Other important measurements:

Lifetime
Ten-fold
Hundred-fold
Unimaginable
Mouthful (for blood measurement ONLY)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up to the current translation of My Disciple, yeah, it definitely got a lot better, and it was already mildly amusing before.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

My personal pet peeve is when somebody translates "Aaa" as "Ah". Yes it can mean that, but 90% of the time it's being used as "Yeah" or "Sure". It doesn't even make any sense if you try and say it out loud so why do people keep doing it? :argh:

Ah.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Chapter 516 of ISSTH was posted, and the parrot does not disappoint this chapter. All hail Lord Fifth!

With Lord Fifth, who dares cause strife?!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The first thing all cultivators learn is how to cultivate a pouch of blood in the back of their throats. Evolution works in mysterious ways.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The last time the OP updated was January of 2015 so maybe if you want a new LN OP you should make a new LN thread.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging Meng Hao's current power level. It's just the right amount of total bullshit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pre-saint Coiling Dragon was the good part, anyway.

Please tell me Meng Hao's story never goes stupid like Coiling Dragon, though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

organism posted:

You have to remember that xianxia authors are legally obligated to only ever use four adjectives: immortal, heavenly, godly, and jade. The literal meanings can get kind of muddled.

Replace jade with [Type of Gem] and I think you're right.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I love how, as Meng Hao is playing playground bully, he's calling the people he's bullying immoral.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sever losing, obviously.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

poo poo, now he will have to go to a different planet because he has already conned everyone worth conning on this one.

I Shall Con The Heavens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Xianxia Freud Says: You're like this because your Patriarch didn't love you enough.

• Locked thread