Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Light novels (LNs) are a form of Japanese literature usually aimed at middle- and high-school students, and as the name suggests, are usually fairly short in length.
Web novels are essentially freelance literature similar to LNs, but are not published and are usually hosted on the author's own website or blog. When a web novel becomes popular enough, it is not uncommon for it to get published as a bonafide LN.
Most web novels originate from a Japanese web novel publishing portal called Shousetsuka ni Narou (Let's Become Authors), where amateurs get to post their fledgling works chapter by chapter, and visitors can read them for free. Readership is then collected into site-wide rankings, and a bunch of the top titles have become so popular that regular publishing houses like Kadokawa have made deals to print them as paper light novels. Curiously most still remain available online with regular updates.

Popular works at the moment include:

Mushoku Tensei:
An otaku disowned by his family with nothing left to lose saves some schoolkids from a truck accident, and wakes up as a baby in a fantasy world. Determined to actually make something of himself in this second chance at life, our protagonist quickly becomes proficient in magic. One of the most popular web novels with about 21 volumes, with up-to-date translations. The turning-point chapters always throw a pretty considerable wrench in the works with the story, and a lot of them are completely unexpected developments entirely, which is pretty cool. The MC does get a bit creepy at times, you have been warned.
[Reincarnation] [Harem] [Seinen] [Fantasy] [Action] [Adventure]

Only Sense Online:
Yun is a novice MMO player who equipped only unpopular skills labelled as garbage. However, soon after everyone started to notice the “Strongest” play style which made full use of Support Magic and Items——?!
[Adventure] [Fantasy] [MMO] [Gender Bender] [Sci-fi] [Shounen]

Overlord:
In the last moments of once-popular VRMMO Yggdrasil, Momonga waits patiently in the halls of his guild hideout awaiting for the inevitable server shutdown. When the forced disconnect never happens, Momonga discovers that a lot has changed from the game he knew so well.
[Fantasy] [MMO] [Seinen] [Action] [Adventure] [Supernatural]

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou:
Among the class that was transported to another world, Nagumo Hajime is an ordinary male student who doesn't have ambition nor aspiration in life, called "Incompetent" by his classmates. The class is summoned to become heroes and save a country from destruction, students of the class are blessed with cheat specs and cool job classes, but that's not the case with Hajime, his job class is a "Synergist" and his stats are very normal (mediocre). "Synergist," to put it in another word is just the artisan class. Being the weakest, he then falls to the depth of the abyss when he and his classmates are exploring a dungeon. What did he find in the depth of the abyss and can he survive?
[Action] [Adventure] [Fantasy] [Harem] [Seinen] [Comedy?] [Psychological?]

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari:
Iwatani Naofumi is summoned to another world to become one of the four heroes, namely the Shield Hero. Starting out with poor popularity and labeled as the weakest, Naofumi found himself betrayed on the third day of his adventure. Broke, framed and ridiculed, all that's left is just his shield.
Referred to as 'Shield Hero'. I haven't got around to reading the novels yet, but I follow the manga and that gets talked about a bit in the Seinen thread. If you've read the manga I'm sure you know what to expect from this.
[Action] [Adventure] [Fantasy] [Seinen] [Romance?]

Knights and Magic:
After an unfortunate traffic accident, our mecha enthusiast and ace programmer MC is reincarnated into the world of his dreams; magic-powered mecha suits (called Silhouette Knights) are the main trump card for humans to fight back against demon beasts approaching their lands and settlements.
This one only has one volume in English so far, I'm really hoping someone who can translate from Japanese picks this series up so we can get more great moments where the MC nerds it out mid-fight like "Only robots can destroy other robots!" :allears:
[Mecha] [Reincarnation] [Fantasy] [Action] [Adventure] [School life] [Romance?]

There was a cute girl in the Hero Party, so I tried confessing:
A boy, Youki, is reincarnated as a demon mini-boss in a fantasy world, but when the Hero Party comes to kill the Demon Lord, he falls in love with the cute cleric Cecilia. This love at first sight causes a problem as he is no longer a human, but part of the demon enemy she was sent to defeat. What on Earth will happen when he tries confessing to her?
A simple premise with short chapters, a very light-hearted read about a guy who got reincarnated as a plain-looking demon who tries to win a girl's heart.
[Action] [Adventure] [Reincarnation] [Romance] [Fantasy] [Shounen] [Chuunibyou]

Souen no Historia:
Souji dies, saves the life of a girl he's never met before, only wake up as a child of a maid in a world where magic exists. At a young age Souji is introduced to Yoyo, the daughter of an information broker, whom he will serve as a butler in years to come. Imagine if Ayasaki Hayate (Hayate no Gotoku) learnt magic and didn't forget the 'combat butler' part of the series' title.
[Action] [Fantasy] [Reincarnation] [Harem] [Shounen]

Credits to Darkgray for a bunch of stuff I recycled for the OP, hope you don't mind.
As you can see, reincarnation/MMO-based stuff is really prevalent at the moment, but if there's anything different out there feel free to chat about it.

:siren: Tag your spoilers please :siren:
Giving out a basic summary is fine, but anything super-important is a no-go. If it was something that surprised you when you first read it, it's probably a spoiler and should be tagged as such so others can stumble across it at their own leisure (or ruin it for themselves by mousing over it unknowingly).

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

A lot of the web novels I've read are pretty similar in terms of the broad strokes. Also most of them are terrible. Out of the ones in the OP I'd at least strongly recommend not reading Arifureta, or dropping it as soon as they hit the bottom of the labyrinth.
What happens to make it turn to poo poo? (Please save me from eventually reading it if it is)
Souen's pace took a bit to pick up, but it's not too bad. Knights and Magic can't be translated soon enough, although the guy who did the first volume can only TL from Chinese, and even they haven't gone any further than vol1 :(

Heibon Desu yo is the one about the girl who is reincarnated as a noble, right? I wasn't too sure about that one but I may give it a try once I'm up-to-date on Overlord.

HorseRenoir posted:

Are you sure that isn't just the same book with eight different titles?
Welcome to Japanese young adult literature, where the plot summaries are the same and the titles are longer than the average Opeth song!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

You laugh, but I've liked the Railgun series for a while. It's a spinoff from a LN harem thing featuring one of the harem members as the main character. But Misaka is fun to watch as a Problem Solving Teen with superpowers hanging out having superpowered adventures with her friends.
Except for Saten. No superpowered adventures for her :smith:

Desuwa posted:

The main character becomes a massive edgelord, the series goes full harem, and it's just embarrassing to read. If it were a better written story just up to the end of the labyrinth with the same idea it might have been good.
Being an edgelord can work if the character has a suitably dumb name. Please tell the MC at least has a name like Edge Maverick :allears:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wait, you translate?
That's pretty cool, I keep forgetting there's actual contributors amongst Goons since I stopped following the SWTOR thread.

Serious post, I knew some stuff like SAO was getting official LN releases, but didn't expect Yen Press to have that much variety. I thought it'd only be big-name stuff like SAO, AoT etc. Good to know there is some official stuff out there.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I like that they aren't just focusing on the Next Big Thing, some less popular stuff being in their catalog is nice to see.
Translating stuff that isn't on the radar for localization might not have that sort of effect, but that's just a guess. I'd rather read a poorly-phrased translation than spend an hour trying to piece together a page at a time through Google Translate or something, and I gave up on machine translators for VNs that haven't even been fan-TL'd since the things are so finnicky and the unintentionally hilarious Engrish that they can throw out isn't worth the effort.
Basically I'm super appreciative of people who put in their own personal time and effort to translate for the rest of us that don't know the language.

glomkettle posted:

Are ebook versions of these available for purchase anywhere? I'd love to support the authors and publishers, but I just don't realistically see myself buying a bunch of physical books. If there are ebooks available I'm not seeing them, which is a shame.

E: Now that I think about it, how much would a LN lose if it were read on a boring basic-tier Kindle? I know they have illustrations, but I have no idea how detailed, frequent, or colorful they are.
They can vary a bit, but generally they're nowhere near as illustration-heavy as graphic novels. Depending on the novel, there's usually something like 6-10 per volume. I haven't found any that really go over that amount, but I don't doubt they exist.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

I used to be appreciative of the fan-translations, but the entitlement of fans (especially when Yen picks up a title that was fan-translated) has pushed me against them now just due to the fandom whining about stupid things like "why can't they catch up to the fan-translations faster?!" "why aren't they starting with the newest novel?!". Titles that aren't likely to come over (like FMP/Shana) are fine though.
Speaking of titles unlikely to come over, I don't suppose you have contacts would be willing to pick up Knights and Magic? Skythewood was looking for someone to hand it over to since he can't find vol2 in Chinese, which has stalled it for a good few months.

On the Yen Press discussion, here's to hoping they get the E-book format going sooner rather than later. Being Australian it's pretty hard to find less-mainstream stuff and shipping books here costs a fortune :australia:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Cheers for the link though, free shipping isn't something I'm used to seeing where books are involved. It's hard to call $15 unreasonable when I've paid more for manga before

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

I've been reading Mokushiroku Arisu recently (3 volumes released, all 3 translated). I picked it up mostly for it's protagonist who is kind of a huge dick to everyone and because it seems to be a tiny bit outside the norm for LNs. The plot starts out fairly dark (also sprinkled with Alice in Wonderland references) but by the end it gets decidedly more generic for better or worse. The setting is interesting, how it handles magic, how magic is acquired and applied is pretty cool, the strong point of the books is the setting in my opinion. Most people probably pick it up because it's edgelord click-bait with the whole 'Kill the girl, save the world' premise but I spent an hour or two reading it and it was good enough to keep me reading to the end and ultimately dropping like :10bux: on a physical copy from amazon.jp so take that however you like.
It's the same author behind Owari no Seraph, so I'll check this out when I next get a chance. Cheers!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I found myself legitimately hating the princess and spear hero. I've only read the manga so far, but it does a pretty good job of making you hate them as characters, and not that many series manage to make antagonists that you legitimately hate. Normally it's just "this is the bad dude who wants to destroy the world/kick over sandcastles/steal candy from children, we must stop them!", so it's a welcome change.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jellycat posted:

This thread made me remember light novels were a thing that existed and so I'll probably check out a few of them eventually! I'm thinking probably Spice & Wolf and Durarara!!

It also got me thinking about how nearly every single light novel I know of is aimed squarely at a young male audience, so I started looking into if female-oriented light novels existed and it turns out they totally do! Even in Japan, male-oriented ones are the focus, but there are definitely ones aimed at girls. I've mostly been digging through Amazon, but I'm only now realizing that it'd probably be a lot more efficient if I just looked up publisher labels on Wikipedia and then went to their websites!

Anyway, things I have learned so far: there are (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) a lot of period romances, Maria-sama ga Miteru started off as a light novel series (I thought it started as a manga!), and Mirage of Blaze is… very big.
E? Heibon Desu yo?? was mentioned earlier, which might be up your alley. A girl gets reincarnated as the daughter of a Noble which is probably not too far off the period romances, although I haven't got around to reading it myself.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The funny thing about that one is that the skill system it uses actually seems kind of viable for a mmo. However, everyone acts as though skill points are some incredibly rare resource and that non-combat skills are worthless even though it all seems very much balanced around trying a bunch of things. You don't even have to keep the non-combat stuff equipped and leveling it provides more skill points. This results in there being absolutely no documentation on skills which are trivially easy to acquire and try out. Even the hilarious skill system from moonlight sculptor makes more sense, because the worst offenders are all locked behind a super secret quest line that Weed never explains to anyone.

Still, jarring dissonance between the premise and execution aside, I rather like Only Sense. The only actively negative aspect is the gender bender bit, which adds absolutely nothing to the story.
You've never played EVE, have you?
So many people ignore almost all the skills that aren't at least indirectly linked to pvp (suck as marketing, mining/industry, R&D, exploration etc). It's not that hard to believe, really.

Sinking Ship posted:

I've been reading Mokushiroku Arisu recently (3 volumes released, all 3 translated). I picked it up mostly for it's protagonist who is kind of a huge dick to everyone and because it seems to be a tiny bit outside the norm for LNs. The plot starts out fairly dark (also sprinkled with Alice in Wonderland references) but by the end it gets decidedly more generic for better or worse. The setting is interesting, how it handles magic, how magic is acquired and applied is pretty cool, the strong point of the books is the setting in my opinion. Most people probably pick it up because it's edgelord click-bait with the whole 'Kill the girl, save the world' premise but I spent an hour or two reading it and it was good enough to keep me reading to the end and ultimately dropping like :10bux: on a physical copy from amazon.jp so take that however you like.
I'm a bit over the halfway mark in this one, and it seems interesting. The MC somewhat reminds me of an rear end in a top hat version of the blond MC in Mondaiji Tachi, he's OP as gently caress and he knows it, but is caught up in his own goal that he actively avoids everyone else unless it can be worth his while (money-wise).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

Just skimming the prose in that thing and I guess now I know what a novel written by someone who only consumes fan-translated light novels would look like, jeez.
So... the the RWBY of light novels?

Epic will be going into my backlog, by the sounds of it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Finished Mokushiroku Arisu. That cliffhanger at the end of vol3 :stare: I really want to find out what happens next. Also, is it just me or is it pretty obvious that the person Shiro is after is the genius that made Holy Sword?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

The prologue to Vol 2 of Knight's and Magic was translated:
http://skythewood.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html
Now this is a good sign!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm trying to find Modern Magic Made Simple as I was reorganizing my Music collection and found the OP of it, which reminded me that this was a vastly underrated anime and now that I realize there's a light novel series behind it I want to read it now so bad.

It's basically Magic as Computer programming, which is one of my favourite things, with a female lead and is generally pretty chill.
That's basically Knights and Magic, except the magic is used to power mecha they use to fight demon beasts, and the MC is a huge Gundam-fan/ace programmer.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is Wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon worth a flick through? I'm a sucker for the Durarara illustrator and that caught my eye.
I've heard good things about it, hopefully my copy arrives this week so I can give it a read.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For those still in the sunk-cost train that is Mushoku Tensei, all of volume 23 has been translated (It's apparently been done for some time now, I didn't expect the author to put out a new volume over Christmas/New Years).

DunMachi (otherwise known in English as Is it Wrong to Pick-up in a Dungeon?) arrived in the mail today :toot: When I'm caught up on MT I'll give it a read and get a write-up posted.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Knights and magic volume 2 chapter 1 is up.

This series is a lot like I wanted Mushoku Tensei to be, at least thematically. Sort of the Log Horizon to MT's SAO, though improved in a different way by taking the creepy poo poo out.
K&M is great and I'm glad that Skythewood's found something to translate from.

In other news I started DunMachi and it's harem-y as expected, but the setting is actually quite interesting. Essentially gods got bored of sitting in the overworld and started watching the people of the lower-world like it was some sort of reality TV show, then decided that going down there to join them would be much more fun than watching (and a lot better than sitting around doing nothing!).
They themselves don't have their crazy powers as a self-imposed rule, but instead give their 'blessings' to the other races and form 'guilds', more or less, full of adventurers they have bestowed the blessings upon them.
I like it so far, we'll see how the rest of it goes, I've only gone through a chapter and a bit thus far.

EDIT: Just a reminder to keep your spoilers tagged, I've received a PM about it already so just be a bit more careful in future.
Basic overview stuff is fine (the sort you'd see in a blurb, for instance), just make sure to cover up anything you wouldn't have wanted to see when you first started reading through a series.
Keep in mind that LNs take a fair bit longer than watching the latest episode of whatever it is you're watching this season, so it's better to be cautious with stuff you think might be spoilers.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 29, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I agree, Despite the creeper moments, holy poo poo I do not expect those Turning Point chapters to play out like they do. It's also cool that the author managed to mess around with time travel without completely screwing the story with plot holes.

EDIT: Also, that side-story in the latest volume gave me diabetes :allears:

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

the mahouka-shaped hole in my heart.
My condolences

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gearhead posted:

I think I would've been happier if he'd just stuck with a monster-eating man roaming around the countryside looking for new meals with his vampire queen sidekick.
Good news! Change monster-eating man for lich lord and vampire queen for the MC's personal choice of inhuman sidekick and you've got Overlord!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ssmagus posted:

I have found this great list which has the current state of web/light novel English translations + easy links.
I don't think everything is there or has been updated recently, but who would know?
Nice find! It seems a little out of date though (which I can only tell because Mushoku Tensei is up to date again and the list says it's 2 chapters behind) but it isn't that big a deal.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

New chapter of Knights and Magic!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Yet another K&M chapter is out, I'm glad that Sky's managed to get hold of something he can translate from.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

there's only two

which is about two too many but the only really creepy one was the guy who had asuna in a cage the whole season. the second guy gets creepy and then shino beats him over the head with a radio, i can live with that
They really killed off a lot of Sinon's character development and agency when they animated that scene.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

Yea you can't say the author didn't lay out bright flashing warning signs but I figured(hoped) it would just turn out to be Momo being paranoid forever. In any case I'm glad this thread turned me on to Overlord, no matter how it shakes out it's bound to be interesting. Personally I'm hoping Shalltear gets rescued and Momonga lays down some serious lich lord smackdown on the puny humans who dared to cross The Great Tomb.

Just have to resist the urge to claw my eyes and/or check the skythewood site every 5 minutes while waiting for the translation. :f5:
Sky has a schedule for his translations (and even has a set time when he uploads them) which is really neat. Means I'm not constantly hitting it up for new chapters of K&M

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Two novels that haven't even been mentioned in this thread, as far as I can tell.

Gifting the Wonderful World With Blessings is another one of those reincarnation stories where the MC is super competent, but this one is more because everyone else, especially his party members, are incompetent. The reincarnation gimmick is that you get to ask for one thing to bring with you, whether a skill or an item, and he asks for the goddess he was talking to. Translated by skythewood, and it's fun.

Rokka no Yuusha is about a prophesied six heroes who save the world, except this time there are seven and the MC is suspected as being the fake. I haven't actually gotten very far but the series seems to get quite a lot of love, so I thought I'd mention it.

I'll give Zhan Long a look, a point in its favour is that the MC is older and not a teenager.
I've actually had both of these either in a browser page or on the Bakareader app for a few weeks now, just been side-tracked with those Humble Bundle VNs lately. They both sounded pretty promising though!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I just finished the second volume of Rokka no Yuusha and it didn't seem as interesting as the first one, probably because it was centered around a character I didn't really care about.
The first one was pretty good though, and really kept me wondering who the seventh was the entire time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Finally caught up on Rokka no Yuusha, and vol3 was much better than vol2 was. It's probably because it was more similar to the first novel where details and clues are presented over time so I was actually trying to think of what the overarching schemes at play were, compared to the second book's method of telling you the ending and then simply showing how the story gets to that point.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Knights and Magic is great, and more people should read it. Hopefully the Chinese translations for vol3 aren't too far away.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The way you're talking about world-breaking fist spells, it's like you've never played D&D 3/3.5

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Isn't like one of the "Things" with D&D Is some so and so casting his fist as a magic spell or somethng to that effect?
Mages buffing up their physical abilities to absurd levels actually, the joke being that they 'cast' fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hagop posted:

I thought this as well, but then some goons where going on about it being the best show in some unrelated thread. So I powered through the first 3 or 4 eps and it gets good, maybe that's to strong of a word, but I ended up enjoying watching it. If you stop trying to parse the whole world setting and just focus on the story presented it gets a lot less confusing.

They only thing about the larger world you really need to understand are.

Its not really 1588, just a reconstruction of 1588 by someone whose only knowledge of history is a Civ campaign they once played.

The Japanese get shinto magic(accomplished through the use of quantum computers and nano machines) because its their racial power.

All laws are seemingly open for debate, but if you fail to justify your case breaking/changing a law the world government has you killed(unless your a minor and then they only maybe kill you).

The whole cast is high schoolers because this is an anime minor's are a lot less likely to get killed for not following the historical role play script.

Everyone hates the Japanese because they got blamed for some mistake that nearly destroyed the world, back before the world started the whole historical role play thing.

That's... actually a pretty interesting way of putting it, and kinda makes me want to finish watching the show.

• Locked thread