Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I like to imagine there are Japanese people shaking their fists about how light novels were better back when it was all Slayers and 12 Kingdoms and Kino's Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
This thread made me remember light novels were a thing that existed and so I'll probably check out a few of them eventually! I'm thinking probably Spice & Wolf and Durarara!!

It also got me thinking about how nearly every single light novel I know of is aimed squarely at a young male audience, so I started looking into if female-oriented light novels existed and it turns out they totally do! Even in Japan, male-oriented ones are the focus, but there are definitely ones aimed at girls. I've mostly been digging through Amazon, but I'm only now realizing that it'd probably be a lot more efficient if I just looked up publisher labels on Wikipedia and then went to their websites!

Anyway, things I have learned so far: there are (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) a lot of period romances, Maria-sama ga Miteru started off as a light novel series (I thought it started as a manga!), and Mirage of Blaze is… very big.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a LN, but in Japan the Twelve Kingdoms novels were published on a girls' lit label.
Of course those were licensed by Tokyopop for English publication, so it'll be almost impossible to get copies of now.

Yeah, I looked into it a bit and the English Wikipedia page calls them light novels, but the Japanese one just uses the word "novel" (by contrast, both the Slayers and Haruhi pages use "light novel"). Still, they (along with stuff like Record of Lodoss War, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Arslan, etc.) do seem to be in sort of the light novel's extended family. I wonder if that's true for most genre fiction in Japan.

HiveCommander posted:

E? Heibon Desu yo?? was mentioned earlier, which might be up your alley. A girl gets reincarnated as the daughter of a Noble which is probably not too far off the period romances, although I haven't got around to reading it myself.

Thanks for pointing it out! I'll probably try it out, at least.

• Locked thread