Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor has a strange charm to it. The prose or translation is nothing to write home about, but there's also nothing aggressively bad about it. It's... mediocre in most aspects, I think, but I still like the author's enthusiasm. It's like a 6-year-old kid describing his dream game in a very :3: way. The Geomchis are awesome, but I don't really care about most other intermissions. Thankfully the author keeps them very brief so I don't feel like I have to skip a lot.

It's pretty cool so far, but I'm dreading that at some point it will just go down the light novel harem drain. Is this a thing that happens, or does it keep chill all the way through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Not a harem but the Seoyoon stuff gets creepy enough. I just finished volume 20 and it ended on a scene that did shock me. Not as bad as most LNs (yet) but I'd found LMS to be really low, though not completely free of it, on creep before that.

Eh. There's still a long way to go until I'm there. Hopefully it'll keep the humor up. Geomchis are still the best. Other than the at-times godawful translation, my biggest peeve is the numbers. The author, on some deep level, doesn't really seem to get numbers. It's like he tosses in whatever he feels like. It makes keeping track of time really hard too, since there's some sort of faster gametime going on, and it's never obvious whether they spent 36 in-game or real hours grinding. You can't even go for the common sense option of obviously in-game hours since the author earlier threw out something like "Weed once spent over 200 hours straight playing Continent of Magic!"

It's not a very important issue, but it's really confusing when you stop and think about it. I get that VR games are a Big Thing in the setting's future, but really, $4200 for a mid-level unique weapon? Was there a period of hyperinflation in Korea where money's value dropped to a thousandth? Are they living on a different planet, since Weed mentioned something about working 6000 hours in a month? :shrug:

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I mentioned this in another thread, but the basic premise of lms just plain doesn't work. Weed exhausted himself working menial jobs as his family's sole support, so exactly when did he have time for all those absurd marathon sessions in that non-vr mmo?

That's a really good point. I guess it is indeed set on another planet where a month has 6000 hours! To be honest, I didn't pay much attention and forgot most of the first chapter. Either because of the writing style or translation, the human drama of Weed having to work his rear end off in sweatshops didn't interest me at all. I mostly think of it just as a way for the author to easily give Weed an appreciation of hard work and the value of money. And sewing skills too, I guess.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Not a harem but the Seoyoon stuff gets creepy enough. I just finished volume 20 and it ended on a scene that did shock me. Not as bad as most LNs (yet) but I'd found LMS to be really low, though not completely free of it, on creep before that.

I read until volume 20 and I don't see what's so shocking about Seoyoon and Weed re-enacting some video game wedding? Or is the shocking scene the part where the translation group reveals that the author doesn't want it to be translated further? :confused:

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Desuwa posted:

The Seoyoon plot in general just really creeps me out. Perhaps surprise would be a better word than shock. It's the kind of scene that I'd expect more from a sleazy harem series or something.
I can see where you're coming from, every time it starts gushing about Seoyoon's beauty or whatever my eyes just gloss over it. The game marriage scene could generally be written better, sure, but that can be said of just about everything in LMS. Maybe I glossed over something really weird, or have been desensitized so much that I think it's a pretty normal thing for the book to do :shrug:. I'd like to say I'll withhold judgement until I see what comes out of it but apparently this is that one case where the author doesn't want fan translations to continue and the translators are respecting that?

Is there anything else that's Good and not Bad which is also either completely translated or still being translated? I kind of got on the LMS ride with the thought that I'll eventually get to see the conclusion but...

e: I realized I'm talking about light novels

Ottumon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 29, 2015

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

SerSpook posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I found a series called Coiling Dragon. It's really, really good. Basically it's about a kid trying to resurrect the honor and glory of his clan, and his struggles through the years to reach the highest level of combatant--a Saint. But he isn't able to use battle ki so he has to find a way around that.

At the lowest level people are pretty normal, but at the level of the Saints it basically becomes Dragonball Z. It has power creep but it also points out that most Saints are centuries old, and some are way older than even that. And usually you'd need to be that old to reach that level. It also translates at a freakishly fast pace it looks like.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/cdindex-html/

Another series I found is Zhan Long, which is your basic MMO type story but I enjoy it. Also freakishly fast translations it looks like?

edit: Forgot to mention it, but the Coiling Dragon translations are also extremely good. A few repeated phrases, like "not one whit" as in "not one whit weaker" or "not one whit less talented" but otherwise it's a really smooth if simple read.

I read a book and a bit of Coiling Dragon, and it's pretty good. Although your description gives the sense that he's more lacking than others because he can't use battle ki, but actually he won big time in the superpower lottery early on with the Dragonblood giving him enhanced strength, more than high affinity to elements, easy magical beast and an ancient Saint mage mentor from a ring. Oh, and whenever he's a good enough mage to find the Dragon qi books or whatever, his only disadvantage will be gone. Edit: just as I posted and read this chapter to the end his dad just handed over the manuals :laffo:.

What I'd criticize is that, at least in the first book, there's but a few side characters and they exist only to pave way for the main character's training. If either he doesn't start getting real friends or enemies or anything very soon after entering chinese super-Hogwarts or the three or so side characters don't get any development, I'm going to get really bored quick.

Ottumon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 25, 2015

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Coiling Dragon is taking some really :catstare: turns after (6th book spoilers) the aftermath of Linley killing the king's brother is explored. I'm both horrified and interested. It seemed to me like Alice was only written in to serve as the motivation for Linley's sculpture so he can have a powerup. That plot thread went a lot further than I thought, unlike the earlier (book 3, late 2?) assassin girl that literally broke Linley's heart. He was a real edgelord for about two chapters, and then it was promptly forgotten.

Generally speaking, the plot is like a cheap kung-fu movie with a gigantic amount of bullshit powerups. But those are the best kung-fu movies, so it looks like I'm in for the whole ride.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I read Even a Cicada Becomes a Dragon If Reborn and it was pretty good fun. It's a short 9-chapter (although some chapters have multiple parts) story about a cicada who was reincarnated as a dragon. His mighty dragon adventures include, among other things, making friends, drinking tree sap, and singing.

Here is an excerpt from the second chapter:

a hungry dragon posted:

My love and knowledge of sap, I may never tell all of it in the short time I had left.

The cicada that lived its whole life only on sap was a sommelier in the field of sap.

Sap

Sap
Ah, sap

Once again will you quench my thirst?

Will you never again fill my abdomen?

The jaw of a dragon was too large to lick and taste you.

The body of a dragon will crush a tree when only clung to it.

Finally, I sing the love song, the lullaby (Requiem) for myself.

Under fierce hunger, but I thought that it didn’t seem so bad to die as it was.

What fate had once brought back by dead body. I was able to fly to the top of the clouds.
Although it was short, the life as a dragon was quite good.

However, if I can reborn once again . . .

I want to become a cicada again.

It was fine even if the jaw was small, I wanted to sing with my companions in a loud voice.

It was fine even if the wings were small, I wanted to fly while bathing in the sunshine filtered through the foliage.

It was fine even if the hands and feet were small, I wanted to cling to the soft bark and hug it.

And above all, I want to drink sap till my stomach was full again.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
ISSTH is over, and it's time for Adventures of the Lord Fifth.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Wasn't the Door to Immortality supposed to appear only once every 10,000 years? What's it doing, appearing now in ISSTH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Oh, okay. Reading comprehension is hard.

• Locked thread