Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So does this mean that if you start posting a cookbook on the Internet, it'll eventually turn into a web novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So what's the thread's opinion on DanMachi?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

BlitzBlast posted:

She's about as actively detrimental as Aqua in Konosuba
Let's not say things we can't take back.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Aw yeah, issth is having a full on shenanigans arc.

But I've been getting the impression from this thread that ISSTH is pretty much all shenanigans all the time. Has it somehow achieved the legend and become Super Shenanigans?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I finally gave in and decided to start reading ISSTH.

I just reached the chapter where Meng Hao starts the Pill Cultivation Outlet.

This is beautiful.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Reached chapter 189, and wow. It's like a parade of Meng Hao's greatest hits, all back to haunt him. :allears:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

DeafAsianQT posted:

If chapter 189 is the song clan gathering and everyone points at meng hao and go "YOU!" That remains my favorite chapter

It was.

Also, got to Lord Fifth's debut. He instantly became the best thing in the novel.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

I guess the people want poo poo english.

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

Is English that guy's first language? If not, then it's entirely possible he does think that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Of all the directions I thought ISSTH might take, "Pokemon fanfic" wasn't one of them.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I for one like the translations that I don't need to mentally edit into something less stupid. Consider me one of the people who does actually appreciate what you're doing and would encourage you to keep doing it.

On a different subject, I've now reached the part where the Huyan Patriarch just made the worst mistake of his now much shorter life, and I can't help but hear the following: "Awaken, my mastiff!"

EDIT: And now Meng Hao's complaining about having his face in a beautiful woman's tits because it's blocking his view of the sky. :allears:

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 11, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

FriggenJ posted:

I was about to say that the upcoming two arcs are my favorites. But I realized that there isn't an arc in this story I don't consider a "favorite" in some way or other. ISSTH is going to be a very tough story for the author to top.

They were pretty good. To say the least.

I'm now at the part where Meng Hao reunites with his first intentional victim as he enters the Grand Line in search of One Piece. I should be caught up some time tomorrow.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

rizzen posted:

It's cons all the way down.

Although given that the series ran for a bit over 1600 chapters, it's also a lot of prose.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Captain_duck posted:

Good to know, i'll avoid.

Any other good monster POV novels then? I've read kumoko, Slime and overlord.

The Temeraire series? :v:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The mirror can use them as spirit stones, but it is unclear if it can reproduce them with spirit stones.

Wait, this makes me thing of something: what would happen if he tried to duplicate spirit stones?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Just finished reading Vertical's release of Kizumonogatari. It was pretty good.

So is The Devil Is A Part-Timer, which I'm reading volume 4 of now.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

FriggenJ posted:

Man, I'm glad Muscle Wizards don't go around cheating poor mortals all the time in ISSTH. They're all kind of jerks.

Obviously you don't cheat poor mortals; they have nothing to steal. You cheat rich ones instead.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I'm looking forward to seeing how Meng Hao loses his vast wealth, because given the story to date I can't imagine him managing to keep it.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

jon joe posted:

I was wrong, it was half, only 5!

On the other hand, he got enough Demon Hearts on the fishing trip that he should be able to make the other five now.

Something I just thought of: are Demon Hearts different from the Demon Cores Meng Hao was scarfing down like candy back in the Qi Condensation stage? It seems like the sort of thing that could just be a change in the translation.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So I hesitate to ask, but what's the translation of Mahouka like? Was the series brought over in all its horrific glory, or did Yen Press take some liberties to increase its appeal beyond the Japanese equivalent of Baen fanboys?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the joke is more that Mahouka kept getting delayed.
I really do wonder how much of that is because the translators are trying to figure out exactly how much of the book they can keep intact without it being too offensive for Yen to publish. I get the sense they just looked at Mahouka's position on the Japanese sales charts when they licensed it, and didn't bother to actually read any of it until afterwards.

Not to mention the delays caused by translators who've literally been bored to death by the bits that aren't filled with racism, classism, sexism, incest or mass murder. And maybe by those bits too, given how leaden the prose apparently is.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
His Second Severing will turn out to be his Cultivation base.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Algid posted:

The second severing has already been spoiled via joke posts a while ago (unless whoever posted also read ahead).

If it was mine, I didn't read ahead. I do reserve the right to say I called it if I guessed right, though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

The Lord of Hats posted:

So what's the difference between Meng Hao's Eternal cultivation base as compared to his Perfect cultivation base, besides just 'it is better'? Am I right in understanding that to reach Dao Fruit, you have to have a Perfect base and then sever it, and to go from Dao Fruit to Eternal requires for you to have died (except through whatever means don't actually die)?

A philosophical one, mainly. Perfection means you can't keep improving, because once you're perfect any change moves you away from perfection. Eternal, in this instance, is symbolic of a never-ending will to improve.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
In ISSTH news, Meng Hao saw something terrifying in Demon Atlantis and then got back to reality just in time to accidentally a war. He also made a homonculus.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Someone in this thread posted that cultivators are basically highly-excitable small dogs and at no point have I ever seen compelling evidence that says otherwise.

So would an actual small dog become nightmarishly powerful if it practiced cultivation, by virtue of being some sort of double cultivator or even cultivator squared?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Annointed posted:

Likewise a bird would become more annoyingly noisy and to some cute and majestic.

I'm not sure this accounts for Lord Fifth.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

As in, he's like a duck that cultivates, or that you're currently ducking to avoid him?

This is an important question, the future of my lower GI tract might be at stake.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
My Disciple Died Yet Again is really good even if you haven't inflicted yourself with a bunch of terrible xianxia novels first.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Once Meng Hao breaks into Dao Seeking, he can probably start conning Immortals and getting away with it.

Plus he still needs to visit the Eastern Lands, where an entire continent of new marks awaits.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Meng Hao's still got 99 problems, but the Devilish ain't one.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
The only rape I'm willing to accept in my web novels is rape committed by a lecherous parrot.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao decides he ain't afraid of no ghosts, followed by the arrival of more fellow Daoists future victims.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

darkgray posted:

This is making my brain bleed. First of all, R:Z is on #9 in the web novel ranking your post quotes because -- surprise -- it's a web novel. Much like everything else these days, it's been edited and published as a paper light novel after gaining web popularity. Second, R:Z was stuck around #50 up until the anime showed up to garner attention, mostly because the protagonist is one of the worst characters ever seen in a web novel. I don't mean poorly written, I mean like awful and irritating and annoying and selfish and stupid and obnoxious. Good luck, though.

On the other hand, unlike the usual WN MC, Subaru pays for it.

Oh, how he pays for it.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So is it just me, or are Dharma Idols in ISSTH really just enormous Stands?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao teaches to the test, breaks examination system over knee.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

blastron posted:

Another translator emailed me, saying that he likes my Bookworm translations but doesn't like how slowly I release them, and wants to start translating it themselves, starting about 50 chapters ahead of where I am. I think this is a pretty terrible idea from a reader's standpoint (especially because it'll take me a year to catch up!), so I want to discourage them from doing this. I'd like to provide them with other options, though, since there's always more series that could use a translator. What are some other really good web novels that you guys would like to see translated?

Re Zero. The web novel specifically; I'm buying the English LN releases as they come out.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao introduces Fang Clan Alchemy Division to capitalism. Alchemists prove rapid learners.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao gains adulation of entire Alchemy Division, forgets to charge viewing fee. The latter will haunt him forever.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Meme Emulator posted:

lol meng hao is so petty

“Do you have a younger sister?” Meng Hao asked through clenched teeth.

Sun Hai was momentarily struck dumb. From the feeling he got at this moment, Meng Hao seemed to be on the verge of flying into a rage.

“Uh… yeah, yeah I have a younger sister, she—”

“Who’s more of a bitch, you or your sister!” Meng Hao interrupted loudly.

I don't know, seems reasonable he'd be a bit cranky right after finding out he unknowingly gave his older sister the go-ahead to ruin his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
The sense I get is that the Grand Elder figured that Meng Hao died from whatever his karmic affliction was, or at least was guaranteed to die, and thus decided to use Meng Hao's Nirvana Fruits to pump up the second-best prospect in the clan. When it turned out Meng Hao had survived and become an incredibly powerful cultivator, the Elder was stuck running damage control.

• Locked thread