Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

There are other major "skill trees" Meng Hao will fill out, but it won't be as focused as go to violet fate sect, learn alchemy, go to black lands + western desert, learn righteous bestowal and then gets cool tats of Chinese characters on random body parts. There's two arcs that are sort of like that (go to place, learn major thing), but it's not as obvious since Meng Hao didn't plan it out himself like he did with learning alchemy and collecting totems. The major plot obviously involves him being the 9th demon sealer (and sealing the heavens), but it develops pretty slowly.

I've been reading ISSTH for a while now and wasn't sure if there was a thread on SA to chat about it in. Started down this rabbit hole reading Tales of Demons and Gods which started off great but the last arc has really expanded the world in a way which I am not enjoying... but anyway the translator for TDG moved his site to Wuxia World and I found ISSTH which is by far my favorite. It's ridiculous but very entertaining.

Have you read the whole thing already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

I've read to 1350 or so (out of over 1600 so far), there are a lot of words, much of it sound effects, glittering eyes and flicking sleeves. The cosmology and world building in ISSTH is actually really similar to huge multi-volume epic fantasy like the wheel of time.

It even has proper fantasy tropes like ambiguously worded terms and prophecies.

I am at chapter 468 (as far as Wuxia World has it translated so far). The final chapter just came out last week or so according to the guy translating it. I am both happy and sad that only 1/4 of it has been translated... looks like we are almost through the totem arc (no idea what section this is officially) as he has Fire, Metal, Wood, and he's halfway to finishing Earth so that just leaves Water I guess. The only downside to most of these stories are that there are always so many lucky coincidences for the protagonist but once you get past that the genre is fun and this is definitely my favorite Xianxia novel so far.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

He already realized that a magical sea of death would be perfect for creating a water totem, so that will keep until the western desert is submerged.

Honestly once he became the sacred ancient for the tribe I thought he was going to create his water tattoo with the violet rain and that would provide immunity to the tribe and they would just survive in/near the sea but then they did this whole bridge of immortals thing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

UberJew posted:

Meng Hao works smarter, not harder :tem:

Jokes aside he is hard working at times, he definitely earned his abilities as an alchemist after he was lucky enough to be able to sneak in ofc

Well the biggest cop out in that section was his knowledge of plants that he gained from the resurrection lily. Yes, he has the crazy poison flower trying to kill him but we all know he isn't going to die that way so really it is just another lucky happenstance.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah the ending to the double chapter was great. I'm also glad that the pagoda story is moving quickly, I was worried this was going to be a long arc similar to the migration of the Crow Divinity tribe.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So the Paragons and other higher ups are aware that they are just a recording, interesting.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

The exact mechanics of what's happening isn't clear at this point, but it's obviously not just a recording.

For example, the tower spirit already mentioned that he'll give the technique to Meng Hao if he's still around once Meng Hao gets out.

Yeah that was when it became obvious this isn't a recording, Night still exists (since Ke Jisui talks to him before he send Meng Hao back) but Night can't give Meng Hao the technique only this old guy at the 99th level can. It also becomes clear that Ke Jisui's father also knows though which is interesting.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I like that Meng Hao has been picking up habits from the meat jelly and parrot.

He very quickly moved from Nascent Soul to Spirit Severing (although this is only his physical body not his cultivation and he could kill nascent soul cultivators long before he finished his 7 totem nascent souls) so I'm curious how long it will take him to perform all his severings and achieve his perfect spirit severing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I actually laughed out loud a couple of times during this double release of ISSTH. Story has really been on a roll recently.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

I wonder if he is still gonna have to run away from the wang patriarch? A false immortal is between true immortals and spirit severing, no?

Yeah, spirit severing -> dao seeking -> immortal, it seems like a false immortal is someone at the peak of dao seeking who couldn't find their own dao. This is Meng Hao's first severing but with his special body arts he may be able to survive a battle with someone at dao seeking after completing his first true severing.

At the end of the day we know he's going to survive either by being strong enough or through some deus ex machina (same thing?) but it will be super entertaining regardless. Maybe the blood mastiff will make its return? I do like that Er Gen keeps most of the power ups relevant long after you would expect them to be forgotten.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

No, he used the Agarwood 1st legacy 3x already but that's different from the other legacies or brands that could be used fully after reaching spirit severing.

The Frigid Snow Legacies helped him defend the Frigid Snow Clan at the time but I believe it was said that going forward the legacies are only useful for providing Meng Hao a higher chance of his spirit severings succeeding. I think there are three severings that need to be performed and you have a high chance of dying in each attempt so those legacies will help him with his severing and then he has the resurrection lily which will help him with his immortal ascension I guess.

Does anyone have clarity on what exactly Dao Seeking constitutes? After you complete the three severings does that immediately make you Dao Seeking? It seems like you need to discover your own Dao to become an immortal which is what the Wang Clan Patriarch has failed at so he is attempting to steal Meng Hao's.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Avulsion posted:

I think Meng Hao is going to have trouble collecting on his IOU from the Wang Clan's Chosen. What a tragedy.

How will Meng Hao get his cultivation base back from the Wang Patriarch? :ohdear:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

I don't even care what an asspull it is for the mountain consuming to not require cultivation unlike every other thing Meng Hao has ever learned. He is on a psychedelic tour through a bizarre universe and that's just great. All these dudes are very upset about an old man sitting inside of a different old man and understanding their mountains.

Well I don't think he could use the mountain consuming technique to launch an attack without his cultivation base but he can use the mental aspect to understand the mountains and learn their dao or whatever.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Usually the action sequences in ISSTH aren't my favorite but I'm looking forward to this one. The Black Sieve Sect has had it coming for a while now and I want to see the absurd new power ups Meng Hao has (domains/areas/skills he couldn't use prior to spirit severing/etc).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The two main stories I'm reading are ISSTH and Tales of Demons and Gods. If you haven't read any of Tales of Demons and Gods I would highly suggest it. The main character is more or less normal even if judged outside of the wuxia/xianxia genre standards. The basic premise is the main character dies fighting the world's bad guy and reincarnates into his younger self. The main character is also, of course, the best at everything.

The bad stories I catch up on when stuck in an airport are Martial God Asura, Against The Gods, Sovereign of Three Realms (which in terms of the MC is probably the best). I'm waiting for Battle Through The Heavens to get further than the manga before I pick that back up.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Tdg is hilarious because the mc solves all of his problems by bribing people until they swear their undying loyalty to him.

Pretty much, which is a nice change of pace from most of these stories where people follow the main character because they love him even though he is constantly murdering people. Nie Lie's absurd knowledge of alchemy and inscription patterns allow him to make such obscene amounts of wealth that he wins over anyone he chooses. Also because of his previous life he knows who the dickheads are and who the cool people are so he has basically been screwing over all the jerks and helping out all the cool dudes who will help him win against the Sage Emperor.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This arc of ISSTH is starting to drag a bit like the western desert arc. Murder a bunch of people and then sever your devilishness already!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

jon joe posted:

If you think Worm is one crazy situation to the next, try Pact. It's not as good, but drat if the ride isn't wilder.

Eh pact was so-so, it didn't seem nearly as tightly plotted (which is saying something). I was reading his third web novel but I got distracted and fell behind so I figure I'll just wait for it to be completed and then start again. The third novel seems to be pretty solid, hopefully he's learning from Worm and Pact.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Yinlock posted:

He also did it earlier when while everyone was gazing reverently/dashing madly for the soul he just started mugging people on his way there. It was great.

We're probably going to have to wait for Third Severing to get any real shenanigans going though.

I want him to complete the third severing and then go collect all his debts that owed to him from demon immortal sect arc. He also still hasn't ever tried to do anything with the mirror that he took way back then that had an insane amount of magical items in it + the demon sealer spear.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
In ISSTH when Meng Hao's mom and dad are talking, have there been previous references to any of those topics before? The 7th year tribulation, the south gate, etc?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would guess that while we've probably got a little ways to go, we're fairly close to our conclusion of the arc. He's probably going to use his 3rd severing to get out of the cage, and from there it'll just be a case of beating the crap out of the North on a power trip, a bit of denouement with his parents popping up, and then he's off to the East.

This is my exact thought as well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Really enjoying Meng Hao's dad not respecting anyone's requests for clemency. Just the way it's written cracks me up.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

blastron posted:

I'm trying to catch up on Disciple, but the lack of next/previous buttons makes it extremely painful to read from my phone. Is there any good workaround?

There are download links for all the content in PDF and EPUB formats but I've never tried that on a phone.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

SerSpook posted:

It will be glorious

It ended quickly but it truly was glorious. He was starting to feel that he might have taken things a bit too far…

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat this morning would have been a good time for a double chapter of ISSTH, I'm excited for the reaction shots and how many spirit stones Meng Hao is going to take from the guard.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Desuwa posted:

Hoo boy, alchemy arc 2 in ISSTH. This is what I've been waiting for. :getin:

100% agreed, can't wait.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat I can't wait for Meng Hao to wreck the Fang clan.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
These two double chapter releases may have been the most satisfying day of ISSTH so far. I'm going to go reread that again.

I fully expect his grandfather (possibly both) to return in a nick of time to ultimately save Meng Hao because otherwise I don't see how Fang Wei's father, grandfather, and patriarch don't decide to eliminate Meng Hao regardless of the consequences.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

they aren't the sole authority in the clan and now someone above them has noticed

Good call I was so excited about the other parts I forgot about that section.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Sandman posted:

The sense I get is that the Grand Elder figured that Meng Hao died from whatever his karmic affliction was, or at least was guaranteed to die, and thus decided to use Meng Hao's Nirvana Fruits to pump up the second-best prospect in the clan. When it turned out Meng Hao had survived and become an incredibly powerful cultivator, the Elder was stuck running damage control.

If he wasn't a punk who caved once Meng Hao's father and grandfather were gone he wouldn't have found himself in this situation where he is trying to kill Meng Hao to cover up his mistakes. The grand elder and Fang Wei's family getting their comeuppance is high on my list of things I'm looking forward to.

I also can't wait for Meng Hao to assimilate the original patriarch's nirvana fruits and become the clan leader or whatever it will signify. I imagine that is what will summon the door to immortality and allow Meng Hao to claim his immortal destiny or whatever the heck.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

Meng Hao will spend a while playing with the doll action figure his dad left him and perform his duties as a tomb raider sweeper. Then things get weird and we get another Patriarch Reliance unsealing himself from under the state of Zhou moment, except properly scaled to current power levels.

I don't quite get the references which is good because you've read the whole thing right? I am excited for more Patriarch Reliance though even if it is still far away.

I guess he has to settle the Fang clan arc quickly so we can get to solving the whole massive calamity that is coming from the outside and he can inherit Lord Li's legacy and all that.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Sandman posted:

Today in ISSTH: Meng Hao finds an unexpected gift from his other Dad, then sneaks fresh-cut onions into the reader's room.

I hope this arc is quick, Algid gave us the gist of it already (now now that post makes sense) and I just want him to finish ripping off the Fang clan. There is no way he doesn't make the 6th patriarch/his descendants pay big time after all of this. Seems like Meng Hao will find the Dao of the first patriach, assimilate his Dao fruits, and open all 100 meridians then lay the smack down on everyone. I'm now most excited for (in the relatively short term) more wacky Patriarch Reliance shenanigans.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Since this is a chapter release day, there should be no reason for you to not expect to see people discussing the new chapter in this thread, even if it's yet to be translated. I recommend you re-read the rules on discussing spoilers, thank you for understanding.

The story is complete in its native language and Algid has read the entire story. It is not unreasonable to ask that he at least spoiler tag any information that isn't available to people who can't read Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New ISSTH gave me a little chuckle.

Eventually, he reached ninety, and then one hundred percent. After that, boundless energy exploded out from him. Majestic light could be seen, causing his body to become translucent, like crystal. In the blink of an eye, he almost looked like a spirit stone.

In fact, if Meng Hao could see himself right now, he… might just fall in love.

• Locked thread