Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are so many goofy sounding translated lines, some of which I can't imagine sounded much better in Japanese. This one in particular stood out: "She had a straight bridge nose that was small, and thin lips of Sakura colors arranged to perfection."

How can lips be "arranged to perfection"?

edit:

"When everyone was seated, with amazing timing, the maids entered pushing carts. Yeah, real maids! Not like those fat Obaa-sans maids that plagued the earth. These were real and true beautiful woman, beautiful women maids that embodied the dreams of a man."

edit2: hahahha

"Aiko-sensei was angry. She was a very popular social studies teacher that was 25 years old. She had a baby like face with her 150 cm height. Her hair was done in a bob cut."

Good god, every single female gets a short paragraph detailing what they look like, including the teacher (and this is also the second time they mentioned that she's 25 years old).

I like how this otaku guy clearly has a better understanding of the reality of war than all the other "normal" students.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading the Grimgar LN translation, and it's the first LN I've been able to enjoy at all. I'm into the second volume now, and it's still been very believable and avoided most of the terrible tropes I generally associate with the "people transported into fantasy/rpg setting" genre; the MC is still a completely regular person without any outstanding talents and there's not even a hint of any harem bullshit (there's only one character that seems remotely interested in the MC, and even that isn't clear). I love how it looks like Mary, the super attractive priest lady, seems interested in Moguzo. The fight scenes are also very well written and easy to understand. I was hesitant to try reading the LN after watching the first couple episodes of the show (since I thought it wouldn't do the action scenes justice), but it's been a very easy read so far. I definitely recommend it.

edit: Jesus, there are all these comments below a bunch of the chapters where people are upset that the MC isn't becoming a badass. I can see why those dumb tropes exist in the first place; apparently there's a high demand for that sort of wish-fulfillment stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 1, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what the Kobold mines in Grimgar are supposed to look like. They mention there being farms* and forges and stuff inside, but I'm having trouble imagining how they could navigate a cave with all this poo poo in it and fight things without attracting the attention of countless other Kobolds. They make it clear that getting swamped with Kobolds is definitely a risk, but it seems like it would be pretty much unavoidable. Their previous "hunting grounds" made sense, because it was this wide open area with lots of hiding places and only scattered goblins, but these mines are apparently a fully functioning Kobold city enclosed within caves. For the time being, I'm just imagining that these caves must be loving massive and have giant multiple square mile chambers.

*Speaking of this, I like how the Kobolds seem to be just entirely minding their own business in their Kobold cave city, while human parties come inside and randomly murder them and steal their possessions. At least the goblins posed some hypothetical threat since they were encamped out in the open near the city. The book basically acknowledges this, pointing out that they don't have any way to survive other than repeated mass murder, though I don't find that particularly convincing given the fact that there's always the option of just living off the land and eating wild animals.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Kumoko is going from strength to strength with the LN getting a commercial with an official voice of the sorts for Kumoko in the form of Sumire Uesaka.

Regarding the the LN for this, I tried to start it and found it kind of hard to read. Is the whole thing just a stream of consciousness from her perspective? I can more or less figure out what was going on, but the format was a little confusing (and the kind of lovely translation didn't help).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

It is very much just stream-of-consciousness rambling. During big fight scenes it gets a lot more concrete, but 95% of it is vaguely-coherent rambling.

I don't know if there's a translation of the LN, but if you're reading the translated WN and are finding it hard to understand I'd like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my own, marginally less lovely translation effort at http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

That isn't just marginally better, it's significantly easier to follow without constantly cringing, thanks. I think that poor translation can work okay if you're telling a story in a more typical manner, but when everything written is the thoughts of the main character it can sort of also give the impression that the character is dumb or constantly thinking in a heavy accent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

Ranta being an infuriatingly annoying twat is a huge plot point, though. As for the boob dialog, I had actually completely forgotten it and thought the anime did that more.

The LN is pretty bad about it when you first meet characters. I think literally every introduction to a female character also has a paragraph describing how physically attractive she is. But it doesn't really mention their appearance much after the initial introduction, and there hasn't been a single "Ranta trying to sneak into hot spring"-type situation in all of the other translated chapters. And, more importantly, there's still nothing even remotely resembling a harem occurring.

But yeah, Ranta being an rear end is a pretty big plot point, though I'm not totally happy with the way the situation was resolved. I was expecting Ranta to be at least a little less lovely after finding out that the party really values him and cares about him, but he continues to be an rear end in a top hat. During the whole thing where he was stranded in the mines, I got the impression that part of his acting out was because he felt insecure about how the other party members felt about him and figures "might as well be an rear end in a top hat if they think I'm an rear end in a top hat", so it doesn't really make much sense for him to continue being that way afterwards. I can understand him continuing to be arrogant and stuff; that's just part of his personality. But he still says a bunch of stuff that is almost downright nasty, particularly when making fun of the girls..

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 7, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hey, I just wanted to encourage you to continue with your translation of the LN with the bookworm girl who is reincarnated into a poor family. It's pretty interesting so far; I like how the girl's first priority, after looking for books, is to figure out how to wash her hair, since I would be the exact same and "transported into medeival-ish setting" stories normally ignore how any modern person would have trouble dealing with the filth and poor hygeine. Your translation/writing is also drastically better than all the other fan LN translations I've seen. It's really nice to read one of these things and not constantly be distracted by the bad writing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Adelheid posted:

well, it was a good trip, but it finally happened. Kumo is bad now.

What happened?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Holy crap, Kenkyo has had 2 new chapters in a month. I think it might be slowly coming back to life?! It is a best thing and you must all read it.

Yeah, the translation is pretty bad but the story is really interesting so far. I like these LNs with female protagonists, they seem a lot less like wish fulfillment stories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the Konosuba LN/translation any good? I'm a little worried that something so humor heavy might lose something if the translation is poor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irisize posted:

I found it okay, but I find myself a horrible judge of translation quality since it's been so long I don't know what's good and what's bad anymore. At the very least, it obeys basic laws of grammar and whatnot.

I'm generally fine as long as the grammar is technically correct and it doesn't sound like someone with broken English speaking. It also really bugs me when they leave random words untranslated (for example "Onii-chan, you like cheese ne?"), and this is coming from someone who knows a bunch of Japanese so I can't imagine how obnoxious it is for people who don't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kaja Rainbow posted:

The English terms are easier for me to remember, though. And a good number of them actually have meanings attached to their names, like Cultivator and Junior/Senior Brother/Uncle/Aunt.

I was actually wondering about something somewhat related to this. Are Japanese names and terms generally easier for native English speakers to remember than Chinese or Korean ones? Since I took Japanese classes before ever being exposed to anime or manga I don't really know if Japanese is just intrinsically easier to deal with from an English-speaking perspective or if my own experiences are colored by having a bunch of exposure to Japanese.

My guess is that Japanese actually is a bit easier to deal with (especially with names), mainly because its pronunciation is very straight-forward and more or less what you would expect from the same words/letters being written in English (as opposed to Chinese or Korean where the correct pronunciation is often very different from the way you'd normally pronounce the letters in English; one good example is the way "Zhou" in Chinese is pronounced more like "Jou" or something).

Arkeus posted:

Another thing it does that I love is that it has a truly "Genius disciple" who is the best friend of the MC, and it's not "Yeah, he is a genius but MC is totally better anyway", it's "OK, this guy is a real genius". It's refreshing to have other characters have some agency and relevance sometime :)

One funny thing I often notice when people are discussing various "nerd media" like anime/manga/LNs/whatever (but especially LNs) is that bad tropes are so incredibly common that the mere absence of them becomes considered a selling point. Like, in the example you give there's nothing intrinsically good about having someone other than the MC have agency; it's more that having only the MC have agency is something that is usually directly a bad thing.

The same thing applies to some of the stuff I said about the chapters of Ascendance of a Bookworm that I've read. The fact that it has writing that isn't transparently bad, a female MC, and lacks a bunch of other dumb tropes associated with the more blatant wish-fulfilment of other LNs (not being born with ridiculous abilities, no harem stuff, etc) aren't really good things; they just mean that it crosses the starting line of potentially not being bad. But because of the nature of the industry these are things that are still definitely worth mentioning!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

read light novel protagonists in hulk hogan's voice

Read the token imouto character in the voice of macho man randy savage

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

filthychimp posted:

Novelupdates is a super useful tool that everyone should be using, especially in the case of bad websites like the translator for My Disciple.

Wow, awesome, thanks. Apparently like 20+ more chapters of "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu" have been translated than I realized (the one where a girl is reincarnated as the antagonist in a shoujo story).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

It's actually an entire genre of its own, with over 1300 titles. Kenkyo is the most successful example, though.

I'm reading another LN of this genre now, Burikko, and I think I like this form of reincarnation story more than the "guy who becomes a badass magician with a harem in an RPG world" type. I look forward to seeing how the "actual" (game's) protagonist is dealt with in Kenkyo, though I imagine that won't be for a while since the protagonist is still in her first year of middle school.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Kenkyo is a manga reincarnation, no games involved. High school arc starts in ch74, and the series basically gets 10x better in an instant. Hard to believe, I know.

Oh, almost the same thing though; it's not like there's any difference between the plot of a otome game and reverse harem shoujo manga. I guess that explains why chapters 74-77 are translated but the pre-high school ones are only up to 49? I still want to wait until I get there the normal way, though. I actually don't mind all the dumb slice of life stuff.

One thing I'm curious about is that the older brother kinda weirds me out and comes off as sorta insincere. All the comments are like "aww the oniichan loves his sister" but I get a completely different vibe from him. In the chapters from his POV it doesn't really seem like he has that much affection for the MC (though there does seem to be some) and tries to avoid her because her spazzing out weirds him out. I'm wondering if he, rather than the father, somehow causes the fall of their family, since I seem to remember the MC having suspicions about that early on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone read "Kamigoroshi no Eiyuu to Nanatsu no Seiyaku"? I've read a few chapters and so far it has that "realistic" fantasy world element that I like so much from Grimgar.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Eh, the writer has a big case of "tell don't show" about the protagonist being such a cool, sensitive, caring, and self-effacing guy. It's fun-ish but don't expect anything great.

You're kinda right; I think he says "I just want to live in a village and collect herbs, I don't want to be a hero" like 5 times every single chapter, and I'm not even exaggerating much.

I'm reading the Rokka LN now (haven't seen the anime) and so far it's quite good. I just finished Volume 1, and it feels a lot more like an actual book instead of something an amateur wrote. Even though I thought it was fairly obvious who the 7th was (though not because I actually deduced the plan; it was more of a "it would be odd narrative-wise for it to be anyone else" thing) it was all executed pretty well and apparently good enough that at least half the people in the comments guessed wrong.

I'm assuming the anime had an anime-only ending, since just Volume 1 looks like it could make up close to ~12 episodes.

edit: Whoooa what (end of volume 1 spoilers), it looks like there's another imposter or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

The anime ended just like the light novel, and everyone was mighty upset.

How did they fit so much content into so few episodes? I feel like I've read at least 12 episodes worth and I'm only at chapter 2-1 of volume 2.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

No, they only adapted the first volume. Left the anime viewers with a beautiful cliffhanger and sales that leave no hope for a second season. Ya~y.

Edit: Also, the usual pace for adapting light novels is 3 episodes per volume or so. Giving one volume 12 entire episodes is quite rare.

That's a relief; I was worried that you were implying that the end of the LN was going to end up lovely. That's a terrible way to end the anime though, jesus.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished Volume 2 of Rokka and it continues to be really good. The mysteries so far have had reasonable conclusions to them, and the fight scenes are written very well and I have an easy time understanding what is going on during them. The characters are also quite interesting and for the most part aren't stereotypes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Why a light novel doesn't necessarily have to be bad just because the translation is: http://www.tcj.com/confessions-of-a-manga-translator/

That's interesting, though I'm not sure if I agree with the implication that manga translating is more complex (or even as complex) as translating a novel. While manga presents its own challenges (like he mentions, having to fit everything into speech bubbles), the challenges novels present seem a lot more difficult to deal with. In manga, you're always looking at what's in a specific panel and each segment of writing that needs to be translated is generally shorter. With the occasional exceptions (like puns or something), it isn't that difficult to at least give an acceptable translation of what you might see in an average manga panel. But with a novel you might end up needing to completely restructure several whole paragraphs to make them sound good in English. Prose ends up being a much bigger consideration when you aren't just dealing (primarily) with dialogue.

I'm also not entirely sure what he means when he says that the words are 95% his. Like, I guess in some trivial sense that literally any translation of Japanese to English is going to involve a bunch of words that weren't in the original Japanese (for the context reasons he mentions in the article, with Japanese relying more on context and being less explicit). But in most cases it's not exactly difficult to know what is being said, and I don't think something like adding the subject to a sentence where, in Japanese, the subject is implied by the context really constitutes it being in your own words. This isn't to say that there aren't situations where the Japanese needs to be almost completely rewritten; a lot of Japanese humor comes to mind, like the puns he mentioned. But that certainly isn't close to 95% of what you see in an average manga.

Overall I agree that someone needs to be a great writer to be a great translator, but I think that it usually doesn't require the same level of writing ability as translating a novel (like the Murakami translator he referred to), and someone with a solid grasp of both English and Japanese should be entirely capable of producing a good translation of most manga (with some exceptions like Zetsubou-sensei that are heavy on language-based humor). Almost every translation that I've disliked has been the result of the translator obviously not being very fluent in English (or just being a really lovely writer). While I have no doubt that a great writer would produce a better manga translation, the difference isn't as dramatic as it would normally be with novel translation. Someone who isn't a great writer trying to translate an actual serious Japanese novel would be a complete train wreck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh man, (Rokka Volume 3 Chapter 2 spoilers) poor Chamo :( She is in such terrible pain after Nashetania activated that blade gem thing. I did like how Nashetania didn't randomly become stronger after revealing herself and that Hans and Fremy were still more than enough to gently caress her poo poo up and make her retreat. Hans owns and I am very happy he survived Volume 2. My guess for the seventh is actually Fremy; I'm wondering if Tgurneu might have some sort of control over her, even if she isn't voluntarily helping him. I can't really think of anyone else who would be the seventh.

I like how Hans initially just seems like a "playful assassin" sort of character, but he also knows when to be serious. He's easily the most competent member of their party aside from Adlet.

vvvv Ah yeah, sorry about that. Didn't think about how talking about a character directly implies that they'd still be alive.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 7, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

(Rokka end of volume 4 spoilers) At this point I'm completely unsure about who the seventh is. I was pretty sure it was Fremy, but now it turns out Fremy is the Black Barren Flower and Tgurneu specifically mentioned them being separate people in the epilogue. I can't think of anyone else who could be the seventh, though. Out of the remaining people:

Hans - Tgurneu was going to be totally okay with Mora killing him and was not expeting Rolonia to revive him, so probably not him.
Chamo - Tgurneu was also going to be totally fine with her dying from Nashetania's blade gem, so probably not her.
Mora - She was already a "fake seventh" and we've seen a bunch of stuff from her first person perspective, so unless she's a sleeper agent or something it's not her.
Rolonia - First person stuff from her this chapter and as Hans mentioned after the events of Volume 4 Tgurneu is obviously not attempting to prevent her from dying.
Goldof - First person stuff from him, so unless he's some sort of sleeper again he isn't the seventh.
Fremy - Black Barren Flower, so not the seventh.
Nashetania - Partner of Dozzu, so not Tgurneu's seventh.
Adlet - We've seen his inner thoughts a lot, so unless he's a sleeper agent he isn't.

So basically everyone has very strong evidence against them not being the seventh. All this considered, I imagine it must be one of the characters who have not have any first person stuff revealing their inner thoughts. In other words, Hans or Chamo (not including Fremy since she's 100% not the seventh). Between those two, I would go with Hans I guess, though I really hope he isn't because Hans owns and is seemingly the only smart dude in their party aside from Adlet himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't understand the fascination with being stuck in a video game like world. You can just play a video game. There are dozens of them. Dozens!

Let's just change this into the ISSTH and MDDYA appreciation thread. Say it together with me, Have Faith in ISSTH and MDDYA, and gain eternal strife. When Meng Hoa and stupid disciple show up, who dares cause strife.

I can't really think of many other stories that were entertaining and not absurdly creepy. Need to keep goons away from these terrible stories, to prevent them from getting dumb ideas.

I wish HiveCommander would change the stories listed in the OP to better ones.
Stories in the OP now:
  • Mushoku Tensei : weird loser protagonist manipulates little girls to form a harem and somehow becomes OP protagonist
  • Overlord : translation will probably never be finished. An ok story from a villains perspective.
  • Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou : see Mushoku Tensei
  • Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari : see Mushoku Tensei + slavery + video game mechanics for magic
  • Knights and Magic : translation will probably never be finished
  • There was a cute girl in the Hero Party, so I tried confessing : a cute story but translation will probably never be finished

What are some better stories that are not creepy and are likely to be completed? I can immediately think of the following:
  • I Shall Seal the Heavens
  • My Disciple Died Yet Again
  • Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (I'm a spider, so what?)
  • Worm (this is actually a western web novel, but it is online and decent)

I think the Grimgar and Rokka LNs are the only fantasy/adventure ones I've actually enjoyed without reservation and seem like Actual Books that don't have a fanfiction-y feel to them. I tried Arifureta and Tate no Yuusha and they were both terrible. I dropped Tate no Yuusha when the slave decided to continue being a slave, but it was also pretty gross even before that.

As for other genres, I've really enjoyed "Ascendance of a Bookworm" which I think is being translated by another goon in this thread. "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu" from the "girl reincarnated as antagonist in a shoujo manga/VN" genre is also pretty fun, though not quite as good as the other titles I mentioned.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All this talk about these Xianxia novels sounds hilariously ridiculous to someone who isn't familiar with them.

Also, does "Patriarch Reliance" sound any less ridiculous in Chinese? What does that even mean? "Person who relies on the patriarch"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

It's definitely not unreadably bad, but it's not up to the standard of ISSTH or blastron's Kumoko translations. Note that I don't know Chinese and I'm just guessing at the meanings here.

"the creases on her forehead was deep" - simple noun/verb agreement error.

"the deep-colored clothes she wore was greyed out..." - better as "her richly dyed clothing was obviously faded, as though washed many times." Same noun/verb disagreement.

Her entire body was emitting out a ‘I’m a peasant woman’ atmosphere... - Better phrased as "Her countenance and mannerisms gave an air of a peasant woman, and her ancient style of clothing made it undeniable."

It's just too literal and has some grammatical errors. It is tiring to read because I still have to intuit the actual meaning after reading the sentences. With a native English-speaking editor it could be vastly better. The only Xianxia I've read to compare it to is ISSTH.

Honestly, I can tolerate translations that are too literal, but it's the blatant grammatical errors (or stuff that is just clearly not something a competent native speaker would ever say/write) that really bothers me. Like, with that "Her entire body was emitting out a ‘I’m a peasant woman’ atmosphere." sentence, I could tolerate it if not for the "emitting out a" instead of just "emitting an". It's still an awkward, poorly written sentence, but at least I would have been able to read it without my "mental voice" having a really thick Chinese accent. The noun-verb agreement stuff in particular is really bad about loving up the "voice" of the writing.

I don't usually blame the translators, since in most cases English probably isn't their first language. But it's still unfortunate and is a huge barrier to me being able to enjoy a lot of these stories.

As for LNs/web novels with good translations, as mentioned blastron's translations of both Kumoko and Ascension of a Bookworm (particularly the latter) are really great. The translation for Rokka is also very competent, though I think it also benefits from the source writing being above the level of a mediocre fan-fiction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UberJew posted:

That background is twice as extensive as most people doing translations!

Yeah, I think merely "being an educated person who can write without actively loving up" automatically puts someone above the vast majority of fan translators.

edit: One thing social media has revealed to me is that the vast majority of people, including native English speakers, are extremely bad writers and seem to write entirely based off of the way they talk. Some examples are stuff like "should of," "rediculous," "embecile," etc. I imagine this is because they have done barely any reading or writing since graduating high school, which for many of these people is literal decades of not writing or seeing other peoples' writing. As a result you end up with people basically writing in the same way you'd expect some random almost-illiterate person who only happens to know the alphabet to write.

In the past these people would have gone their entire lives without ever writing, but social media has introduced a compelling platform where they are required to write. It is actually somewhat fascinating.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jwang posted:

Japanese to Chinese translation shouldn't be too terrible, since their idioms and sentence structures are relatively similar compared to languages with Latin roots. Still, that's double the probability of something lost in translations.

Huh? I didn't think it was. Japanese has a sentence structure something like "subject -> object -> verb" (though the first two don't have to be in that order), while I was under the impression Chinese had a structure more similar to English with respect to being a "subject -> verb -> object" sort of thing. The idioms might be due to some degree of shared culture, but I don't think Japanese is even in the same language family as Chinese (that might just be in terms of pronunciation though, not sure).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

I guess the people want poo poo english.

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

You should ask directly if English is their first language, and if it isn't (which is probably - well, hopefully - the case) explain that your edit is written using far more natural sounding language.

I doubt it will help, but I'm always curious to see how people justify making blatantly wrong/bad decisions.

edit: I general I find it really strange when people involved in stuff like fan translations or fan subs get really obsessive about not letting other people contribute or change their work. It's like being able to say "I did all of this!" matters more to them than actually producing quality work.

edit2: One thing I've wondered about is if large self-contained ESL communities (like English speakers in India) form a lot of their own conventions for how to speak/write English and what is considered good/bad writing. For example, I've noticed a lot of stuff written by and for Indians in English sounds really bizarre, but in a consistent way. Like, it is usually super obvious when you see some English text written by Indian people. I wonder if the same is true for some East Asian English speakers. I feel like it wouldn't be as common due to the fact that, unlike in India, the vast majority of people in East Asian countries don't actually use English outside of classes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 10, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dipple posted:

When Meng Hao first became a muscle wizard maintaining that state was eating years off his lifespan for every breathe he had it activated, but now he's just running it 24/7. Did I miss a paragraph that mentioned solving that issue? Or was it just an unmentioned side effect of all the upgrades he got in the last arc.

Having not read this web novel, does it work like "multiplies your strength by eating away time from your lifespan"? When I was teenager I would sort of "play with mental action figures" and daydream these scenarios where people with different superpowers would fight, and I remember that one I liked a lot was "the ability to increase strength by eating away a proportional amount off the end of a person's lifespan." For example, if a person took a day off of their lifespan by activating the power for an hour, they would gain a 24x strength increase (or even more ridiculously, if they activated it over just a minute it would be a 1440x strength increase). Or if they had it activated constantly they could always have 2x strength at the cost of halving their remaining lifespan (though this would be a really dumb way to use it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I keep seeing ln's which reach new lows in terms of their protagonists. They can't figure out how to write a guy with anything vaguely like talent or effort, so instead their magical advantage is something incredibly mundane. I've seen owning a smartphone, being literate, being human (!!!), and now living in a house as paths to ultimate power.

If by "being literate" you're referring to Ascension of a Bookworm then I strongly disagree, that LN owns (well, to be fair so far it seems less like a "path to ultimate power" and more like "path to not hopefully not living in dire poverty at some undetermined point in the future").

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jon joe posted:

Wow.

Okay. I'm going to write something now, titled (A fantasy world, but I have access to forums.somethingawful.com. Gooning over RPG elements for world take-over!)

Replace SA with 2chan and that would probably unironically become popular.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm depressed that the Rokka translation seems to be indefinitely delayed. It's one of a literal handful of these things I've read that reads like an Actual, Honest to God Book, yet apparently the fans are more interested in reading the 20th story about a reincarnated guy with a slave harem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Grimgar LN translation has been pretty intense lately. The author is really good at writing tense situations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm reading Sevens and was looking at the cover illustration and it's bugging me not knowing which character is which: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/sevens/

I'm guessing top left is the first ancestor and glasses guy is the fourth, since those are the only two that have clearly defining characteristics that I can recall. I wish they had at least had the pictures in order or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I know for sure that the First is the top left, the dude with the curly strand of hair is the Second, the blue haired guy is the Fourth, and the blond haired dude on the left is the Seventh. That leaves the Third, Fifth, and Sixth, and if I recall correctly they're the green haired dude, the guy at the bottom right, and the guy at the top respectively.

I'm pretty sure you're correct about the 6th as well, since I remember it mentioned he looked like a ruffian or something, and none of the other images fit that bill. I'm a little surprised at the grandpa being blonde guy; I had assumed he was the guy in the bottom right for some reason.

edit: I find myself not really giving a poo poo about the girls in this LN, but I love all of the ancestor guys and their banter with each other and the MC.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm 95% sure that Novem is not actually romantically interested in the MC. I don't know what her deal is exactly, but her behavior is kind of strange (especially when the MC confesses that he loves her and she's like "oh that's cool" + the bizarre stuff with her trying to push the MC into a harem. No clue what her motives could be, though.

I kind of like the idea of his sister being basically this super-sociopath that can magically draw those around her into her pace and be awesome at everything. It's not totally clear how Lyle was able to even cut her dress if she was capable of so easily killing those other three somewhat experienced adventurers, at least one of whom was around Zelphy's level. I'm guessing she was just caught off-guard because she was expecting Lyle to be even worse than he actually was during their duel.

By the way, I think you might be wrong about the 3rd being the lower left green-hair guy; it explicitly mentioned a few chapters back (currently at chapter 35) that the third has blonde hair and blue eyes. Granted, I'm not sure if any of the characters in the image have blue eyes (that one has blonde hair, but his eyes don't look blue) so it might be a mistake on the artist's part, but I'm still assuming the blonde is the third. Which was a little unexpected since the bottom left guy's appearance seemed to fit the third's carefree personality better.

So far I'm pretty clear on most of the personalities except for the 6th's. 1st is bombastic barbarian dude, 2nd seems kind of gritty-serious or something (he's probably the second least clear to me though), 3rd is carefree and easy-going, 4th is glasses guy who likes advising Lyle on girls, 5th is really stern guy who dislikes women but loves cute animals, and 7th is his grandpa who favors Lyle pretty heavily.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 9, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading Worm, and it is very entertaining. It suffers a little from some minor issues (like kind YA-ish unrealistic dialogue), but it's been a lot of fun to read so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Worm's major issue is a severe lack of padding. The protagonist goes from one poo poo situation into the next.

Yeah, I've noticed this. It seems like literally everything goes wrong and things never go as planned. At least the solutions are pretty good, though; so far I haven't really ever felt like a victory just came out of nowhere (at least compared with something like a climactic battle in a shounen manga)..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

tried worm and void domain. liked the latter, loathed the former.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Worm? Don't construe this as me challenging your opinion, I'm just curious. I have two main complaints about it but neither are really "dealbreakers":
1. It seems to always go from one desperate "about to lose" situation to the next, which sort of ruins the sense of the tension over the long run because you're always expecting something to bail Taylor out at the last moment. Things just never seem to go according to plan, which is a little strange when Tattletale is around; like, obviously she can make mistakes, but you would at least expect them to be better off than average in this regard. I understand the motive behind this (it's generally not as interesting to have the characters effortlessly own their opponents), but I feel like it's useful to at least give them some room to breath and create the impression they're improving. This is probably the biggest problem.
2. Kind of YA-fiction-ish characters, which doesn't really bother me too much since I'm just reading this for entertainment and don't really care if some characters aren't very complex.

Regardless, none of the bad aspects seem to make it worse than any Asian LNs/WNs I've read. If anything it's the opposite; I think the only LN/WNs I've read with remotely comparable writing/plotting are Rokka and Grimgar (though I'd assume that a couple others I haven't read like Baccano/Durarara are also good in this regard). This isn't so much a compliment to these series as it is an insult to everything else, but yeah.

• Locked thread