Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nausicaa is Good

I said this about it somewhere else:

There's a good chance you've heard of Hayao Miyazaki, the master animator and director from Studio Ghibli. Well, way back when the studio was starting out he had to do a manga version alongside the film version of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

The film and the manga's stories diverge pretty drastically early on and the comic is one of the best science fiction epics I've encountered in any format. Strongly written characters and fantastic art make it exciting, thoughtful, and moving.

Here's a picture of the Nausicaa box set.

And here it is on my Nerd Shelf:

(Not pictured: Yotsuba&, Paradise Kiss, Sailor Moon)

The only thing I don't like about it is how sound effects are handled. Putting the translations for all of the them in the back of each (huge) volume is actually more annoying than if they didn't even bother translating them at all. Redraw them or stick it in the gutters; no one wants to flip to the back of the book to see if those characters mean "vrmmmmm" or "whooooosh"

It's the only thing I miss about the old Perfect Collection, which (other than the translation, which is the same) is a bit worse with its way smaller format and flipped artwork.

a kitten posted:

Nausicaa is kind of on a whole different level than most of the other suggestions in this thread (or in general). It reminds me of the quote about The Sandman books "if this isn't literature, nothing is".

I'm not even sure if the manga and anime align for even as much as a third, they start in the exact same place but diverge widely pretty quickly. Nausicaa the movie is a decent Stuido Ghibli film, and certainly an historic one, but probably not widely considered their best work. Nausicaa the manga is an outstanding piece of graphic art, and one of the greatest works of science fiction around.

i really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And just for good measure, the bottom panel on this pages is one of my favorite single panels in all of comicdom:
(reads left to right since this scan is from the old flopped version)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

lil baby anime posted:

Haven't seen Spirited Away in a minute but I rewatched Princess Mononoke recently and I guess I can probably see why he'd say that. I'd have to read through Nausicaa again though cuz I don't remember finding it too lacking in the environmental messages department

They both definitely have strong environmental themes, but their opinion on humanity in general seems really different.

In Princess Mononoke even with all the conflict there is, you still get the sense humanity and nature can survive together in the long run.

In Nausicaa, after learning the purpose of the vault to reseed the earth with normal, unaltered life after the Sea of Corruption has done its thing she basically goes "gently caress you, and gently caress that. We'll take our chances" and nukes god-warriors the place into dust. Even though that might very well lead to the end of humans eventually as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Anno and the assistant director Kazuyoshi Katayama did an audio commentary on the Blu-Ray.

hahaha
Welp

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Hahaha Anno wanted to do a Kushana spinoff series but Miyazaki saw through him and told him hell no

Manga Kushana is one of my all time favorite characters.

I wanted to do a big effort post about her and how well-realised she is and then I remembered that I'm not very good at actually articulating things like that.

So have a bunch of kick-rear end pictures instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Get the new version! It owns.

Edit: gave my Perfect Collection to my sister, she loves it.

• Locked thread