Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

a kitten posted:

They both definitely have strong environmental themes, but their opinion on humanity in general seems really different.

In Princess Mononoke even with all the conflict there is, you still get the sense humanity and nature can survive together in the long run.

In Nausicaa, after learning the purpose of the vault to reseed the earth with normal, unaltered life after the Sea of Corruption has done its thing she basically goes "gently caress you, and gently caress that. We'll take our chances" and nukes god-warriors the place into dust. Even though that might very well lead to the end of humans eventually as well.

I agree with this 100%, I always recommend that people give Manga Nausicaa a read because it's a fantastic story as a whole and a totally different experience to the movie, but I always give the caveat that the ending feels a bit inconsistent since Nausicaa basically commits genocide and possibly destroys the last hope of the human race out of spite and at best has merely committed mass murder and destroyed huge amounts of scientific knowledge which feels somewhat extreme even given the circumstances.

Possibly it just rubs me up the wrong way since I empathise much more strongly with the sort of environmentalist message put across by Princess Mononoke and even the anime of Nausicaa is a lot more forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

As I recall in the end of the comic Nausicaa find out the elites basically hid away to wait for their own mess to clean itself up so they could come back and dictate again and Nausicaa basically tells them to get bent and that the people of the future can handle itself. What she rejects is the world that lead to the seven days of fire and sea of corruption, which is the correct thing to do.

But I haven't read it in a while. Am I forgetting something?

Well I guess it comes down to how much you believe the 'tomb god' - either they want to just fix the horrible mess they made and make it so it doesn't happen again, or they want to rule the world and presumably make it into a postindustrial wasteland again. Either way Nausicaa orchestrates the destruction of the remaining human life from the pre-catastrophe civilization and she even says so herself that she has done something loving terrible. I think that the pacing of the last chapters is sufficiently quick that it gives the impression that she's a person with a very powerful weapon who uses it perhaps somewhat hastily. Even if you aren't going to go along with their original plan, there's presumably a lot of scientific information inside the tomb-god-supercomputer which could potentially be used to avert human extinction, but Nausicaa decides unilaterally on behalf of all of the remainder of humanity that they'd rather just tough it out and see what happens (for which she is called out on for being nihilistic / fatalistic as gently caress).

7c Nickel posted:

She aborted a bunch of unborn lobotomized pod people designed by the same assholes who destroyed the world in the first place. Humans can save themselves, they don't need a robot god planning their lives for them. Nausicaa might never get to walk in the pure lands without a mask. But a thousand years from now?

I never got the impression that the "eggs" were supposed to be anything other than normal unmodified human embryos or foetuses but reading the end chapters again I can maybe see some suggestions that they have been modified to be less aggressive and more peaceful, presumably so that people won't just start more loving wars again, is there anything that I've missed which makes this more of a clear cut reading?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 9, 2015

• Locked thread