Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

First off, thanks to everyone who helped me with this op. I couldn't do it without you!

"Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Japanese: 風の谷のナウシカ Lit: Soar Through The Apocalypse! Bug-Princess Violence Saga) is a manga written and illustrated by anime director Hayao Miyazaki. It tells the story of Nausicaä, a princess of a small kingdom on a post-apocalyptic Earth with a new, bioengineered ecological system, who becomes involved in a war between kingdoms while an environmental disaster threatens the survival of humankind. On her journey, she struggles to bring about a peaceful coexistence among the people of her world, as well as between humanity and nature."

Anyone who likes Ghibli stuff has probably seen the movie already, but I'm gonna take this moment to turn into one of those book supremacy d bags and tell you that once again the book is the superior version and you're missing out by not reading it. The movie only covers about 2 of the 7 volumes, so there's obviously gonna be some big changes and omissions.

If you want to read it, you can either buy 7 volumes for $70, or you can just get the box set that was released like 2 years ago for $40. I got it a while ago and wasn't disappointed. Never got the original volumes though so I can't really compare the two. I'm bad at reviewing things and don't like effort so just read the first amazon review or whatever cuz it has a bunch of pictures too.

Talk about Nausicaä!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

And just for good measure, the bottom panel on this pages is one of my favorite single panels in all of comicdom:
(reads left to right since this scan is from the old flopped version)

If I had to pick a panel from the same area of the story it'd probably be the one where she has the worms on her. All the pages around this are pretty ridic though. I remember reading this for the first time and being kinda surprised how she just comes back from the forest, skips over being kinda annoyed or mad, and goes straight to being livid. Starts talking crap and picking fights the second she lands. I mean, to be fair her country was being invaded but still

Effectronica posted:

Nausicaa is really, really, good, but Miyazaki considers it one of his lesser works (both movie and manga), and when you compare the environmental messages with those of Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, it's hard to fault him on that.

Haven't seen Spirited Away in a minute but I rewatched Princess Mononoke recently and I guess I can probably see why he'd say that. I'd have to read through Nausicaa again though cuz I don't remember finding it too lacking in the environmental messages department

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Thanks again drsunshine

• Locked thread