Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Nausicaa is really, really, good, but Miyazaki considers it one of his lesser works (both movie and manga), and when you compare the environmental messages with those of Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, it's hard to fault him on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

lil baby anime posted:

If I had to pick a panel from the same area of the story it'd probably be the one where she has the worms on her. All the pages around this are pretty ridic though. I remember reading this for the first time and being kinda surprised how she just comes back from the forest, skips over being kinda annoyed or mad, and goes straight to being livid. Starts talking crap and picking fights the second she lands. I mean, to be fair her country was being invaded but still

Haven't seen Spirited Away in a minute but I rewatched Princess Mononoke recently and I guess I can probably see why he'd say that. I'd have to read through Nausicaa again though cuz I don't remember finding it too lacking in the environmental messages department

Miyazaki's reasoning is that he feels Nausicaa isn't consistent enough because he spent too much time writing it and didn't have a clear conclusion in mind.

a kitten posted:

They both definitely have strong environmental themes, but their opinion on humanity in general seems really different.

In Princess Mononoke even with all the conflict there is, you still get the sense humanity and nature can survive together in the long run.

In Nausicaa, after learning the purpose of the vault to reseed the earth with normal, unaltered life after the Sea of Corruption has done its thing she basically goes "gently caress you, and gently caress that. We'll take our chances" and nukes god-warriors the place into dust. Even though that might very well lead to the end of humans eventually as well.

Well, those really are the same messages. After all, the Master of the Crypt's offer is basically saying that the Sea of Corruption, and the Ohmu, should be wiped out because they'd be in people's ways in the future, and Nausicaa refuses to treat humanity as inherently so worthy that all other life lives and dies at its command. Also, the death of Miralupa suggests that the Master of the Garden was lying to Nausicaa about the effects of the cleansed land on humans.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Double post but who cares, right? One thing that's interesting about Miyazaki is that he's semi-openly a Marxist alongside being an environmentalist and feminist and pacifist, and this comes out in some fascinating ways in many of his movies. Nausicaa, both manga and film, has less of this, but it's still present in the movie when the Valley discovers toxic spores and then rises against the Torumekians. It's most obvious in Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away, but I think it's only really Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle where it fades almost completely. Maybe in The Wind Rises.

• Locked thread