Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i mean even the OP says to not buy this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I paid $20 for a pretty broken-rear end game with a plethora of bugs, stability issues, and at times is unplayable due to hackers. The game will also probably never be complete.

However, I've had more fun in the past month than I have in a video game in a long time by getting together with a couple buddies and pissing people off. Once you give up on trying to build a permanent base (any ammo you store will get no-clip raided, sometimes while you're standing right there!), and log off the second you start getting pissed, the game opens up to you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Isn't every game in this genre a horrible, buggy, hacker filled pile of poo poo?
Did you miss that the game is made by SOE? :soe: exists for a reason.

The fact that an early access SOE zombie survival game isn't physically damaging your computer puts it ahead of my expectations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

jetz0r posted:

Isn't every game in this genre a horrible, buggy, hacker filled pile of poo poo?
Did you miss that the game is made by SOE? :soe: exists for a reason.

The fact that an early access SOE zombie survival game isn't physically damaging your computer puts it ahead of my expectations.

Yeah pretty much. I think we had high hopes because SOE was behind it, and they do patch things fairly quickly, but who knows if games like this will ever be "final" and completed. It doesn't help that everyone has different expectations with what they want in these kind of games. I still have fun with the game, and BR, but I only play once or twice a week these days. And I have had barely any trouble with hackers, but that may be because I stick to first-person servers.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'm happy Battle Royale queueing works better, but yeah, hard to play the main game with any degree of seriousness.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I don't even understand the point of this game. It's a zombie game with zero threat from zombies and the quests are just finding paper and running to some POI for loot.

However, it is fun to watch streamers just gently caress with people for a few minutes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's irritating to come under a constant onslaught of "it's just an alpha" when the slightest complaint is raised. The game does have some significant drawbacks that nearly make it completely un-enjoyable. Hackers are still an issue even with the latest changes, the forelight engine even after years of development still has issues with network synchronization and there seems to be a general lack of direction.

I'm bearish on the game but even with the drawbacks can still be incredibly entertaining to play.

Orv
May 4, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

I don't even understand the point of this game. It's a zombie game with zero threat from zombies and the quests are just finding paper and running to some POI for loot.

However, it is fun to watch streamers just gently caress with people for a few minutes.

It's a PvP game that happens to have zombies, rather than a zombie survival game. Unfortunately it being filled with hackers/bugs/exploits means it's not either thing right now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They could do a lot to make the non-Battle Royale game better in an extremely short period of time.

1- Let people start with a compass on PVP servers after they die. Why do players start with a useless flashlight?

2- Let people choose from a grid a set of spawn points to start at.

3- Begin to generate situations where zombies appear in numbers greater than 1, even if they are easy to kill still.

I emailed suggestions, so we'll see if they can turn it around. Anyone play Day-Z? I never tried it.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

It's irritating to come under a constant onslaught of "it's just an alpha" when the slightest complaint is raised. The game does have some significant drawbacks that nearly make it completely un-enjoyable. Hackers are still an issue even with the latest changes, the forelight engine even after years of development still has issues with network synchronization and there seems to be a general lack of direction.

I'm bearish on the game but even with the drawbacks can still be incredibly entertaining to play.

The purpose of an alpha is more to answer the question "does killing zombies work?", not "is killing zombies fun?". The fact that it's enjoyable at all right now is almost entirely due to player-to-player interactions (which don't need to be designed, programmed, tested, and released). Complaints about gameplay don't make sense during an alpha.

I think a great example of this is the zombie hordes. They couldn't predict that the servers couldn't handle a full load of players and all the NPC AI they wanted. If it weren't for an alpha phase like this, they would have gotten much further along in the development process, almost definitely increasing server load by adding more server-side systems (anti-cheat measures being one of them) all because the problems weren't apparent at development time. Then, beta (or worse, release) happens and whoops! The server can't handle zombie hordes, only this time you can't go back and make major architectural changes to fix the problem because everything's already built.

Once the game goes into beta is when gameplay complaints make sense. At that time, most or all of the major features should be implemented so everyone can get a better picture of the way they all fit together.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

magiccarpet posted:

The game is pretty much staying alive. Players are more of a threat than zombies. Otherwise the game is griefing other people. Or the game is building a base. It's a sandbox and you can play it however you feel best.

Like I have one character named BlackberryFairy and all I do is run around spouting berry nonsense in a terrible Irish accent and give people blackberries. Then people kill me and loot me and they're like "wow why do you have nothing but 300 blackberries" and that's occasionally fun for me for some reason.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't you people role play and pretend the hackers are ghosts.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

jonathan posted:

Why don't you people role play and pretend the hackers are ghosts.

The game sucks, and I don't play it.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I must be really lucky, I've put 40ish hours into the game and I've seen a hacker maybe twice. Folks that aren't digging the game - do you play alone? It's way more fun with friends.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The initial goon rush before the hacks and exploits went out of control was amazing but those days are gone, probably forever. :(

Still, if they can get the hacking under control I can definitely see a lot of growth potential for this game. Especially for more server mods and rule sets. How about a team-based server where you find specific doodads randomly in the world and store them in a specially crafted chest. Whichever team has the most doodads after a set amount of time wins. You can build up defenses at your base while other teammates look for doodads or kill other teams for theirs. I'd have the doodad weigh more than you can possibly carry in a backpack so you have to wear it on an equipment slot and when you do it gives off a blinking light making it very easy for potential enemies to see.

We'll see if their new Russian overlords let them put that kind of work into the game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sir_Charles posted:

I must be really lucky, I've put 40ish hours into the game and I've seen a hacker maybe twice. Folks that aren't digging the game - do you play alone? It's way more fun with friends.

The issue is how do you know? What if the hacker simply turned off your ability to headshot him and you died? What if the hacker simply added damage to his bullet rounds instead of making himself invincible or uses visibility hacks to make you light up like a christmas tree even under cover? Or allows himself to shoot through objects that previously you couldn't? What if he wants a challenge by making himself normally vulnerable but walks through walls and raids people's caches for loot whenever he dies?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 9, 2015

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

magiccarpet posted:

THe zombies are just there to keep people moving or from sitting in a bush for 3 hours.

If you sit still long enough they'll start coming for you and you kill them or run, I think it works pretty well in that regard.

I do like the roving packs of numerous zombie idea though seems pretty cool. Waste a shitload of ammo or get moving.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Battle Royale queuing is working, and is the only thing I'm still playing.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The issue is how do you know? What if the hacker simply turned off your ability to headshot him and you died? What if the hacker simply added damage to his bullet rounds instead of making himself invincible or uses visibility hacks to make you light up like a christmas tree even under cover? Or allows himself to shoot through objects that previously you couldn't? What if he wants a challenge by making himself normally vulnerable but walks through walls and raids people's caches for loot whenever he dies?

Yeah Sir_Charles, how do you really know if you are having fun playing the game? Maybe there was a hacker that killed you and you just thought he was lucky. How could you know for sure? Maybe you only thought you were having a good time playing with your friends but in reality you were a victim of a hack infected cash grab... That's the issue. How do you know?

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
They patched some stuff yesterday. The dew traps seem to be deteriorating in less than 12 hours, so do not leave anything in them. They added the demolition hammer so you can tear down stuff if you placed it wrong. They also made Battle Royale much easier to join. I seem to be getting a lot more disconnects since this patch.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Pro Tip. They changed the heal rate from med kits compared to the damage rate from the poison gas from Battle Royale. You can no longer hang out in poisonous zones spamming med kits.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DOOMocrat posted:

Battle Royale queuing is working, and is the only thing I'm still playing.

I bought this game just for BR and I don't have 64 bit win installed. I'm 0-2

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Friendly!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Walking around Ground Zero, the only people I see are at the usual truck stops or camps right outside of spawn areas. Was in Rancho Taquito for about 20 minutes... nobody. One car drove through, that was it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well, it is just a playable alpha test. I can't imagine they were expecting a big 24/7 turnout week after week. Battle Royale is the only ruleset with actual gameplay implemented and it seems pretty popular

Ron
Apr 22, 2014
people buy this solely for battle royale

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ron posted:

people buy this solely for battle royale

no different than people buying Arma3 solely for BR/DayZ/ArmaLife

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Anything concrete come out about the next patch? They announce this stuff in the strangest places.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Nothing but crash fixes but I'm enjoying playing the game as HillaryClinton2016.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Hordes are in, 3 per server. Looks like they run fairly set routes. Recurve bows are in, as are on-character models. FRIENDLY FRIENDLY shotgun is coming to an end.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i love that :soe: is grubbing even more money for the only fun part of their game. :allears:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

And no mention what Daybreak all access gets you. If it doesn't cover the BR pass, we've gotten to a truly egregious level.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Two updates! New bow! New pistol that does less damage with a bigger clip! New NPC AI! New crashes! New DLC options! No one at all is playing survival! Every good spawn base camped!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Did they wipe all the bases?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tab8715 posted:

Did they wipe all the bases?

They said they wanted to wait until they also had some geometry fixes next week.

I'm gonna miss sightseeing what people have build inside towns on pve servers.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Just a quick FYI: If any of you are ex-WarZ people, apparently those same fuckers are setting up shop with a new game that will probably be predictably awful. The good news is that if you have a WarZ account that meets one criterion off of a list, you get free access to their alpha. I haven't check it out yet, and it looks like a reskin of WarZ, but it's free if you meet the criteria and might be more entertaining than this, so... There you go.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Just a quick FYI: If any of you are ex-WarZ people, apparently those same fuckers are setting up shop with a new game that will probably be predictably awful. The good news is that if you have a WarZ account that meets one criterion off of a list, you get free access to their alpha. I haven't check it out yet, and it looks like a reskin of WarZ, but it's free if you meet the criteria and might be more entertaining than this, so... There you go.

Correction, same game.... reskinned

It might even be on a new engine, but it's basically WarZ copy-pasted

Their idea of 'best pvp' is players tanking 30 rounds, popping a couple medkits and bunny hopping until someone gets a lucky headshot. Don't expect much to compare with H1Z1

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Sappo569 posted:

Correction, same game.... reskinned

It might even be on a new engine, but it's basically WarZ copy-pasted

Their idea of 'best pvp' is players tanking 30 rounds, popping a couple medkits and bunny hopping until someone gets a lucky headshot. Don't expect much to compare with H1Z1

Yes, I said a reskin of WarZ. Anyone expecting anything else is an idiot, but the gunplay in WarZ prior to the hacking spiraling out of control was pretty much the best in this awful genre. H1Z1's is pretty loving lackluster.

E: Best in genre is hyperbolic. Maybe. It was fun and accessible.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 28, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Yes, I said a reskin of WarZ. Anyone expecting anything else is an idiot, but the gunplay in WarZ prior to the hacking spiraling out of control was pretty much the best in this awful genre. H1Z1's is pretty loving lackluster.

E: Best in genre is hyperbolic. Maybe. It was fun and accessible.

Yes you did, my bad.

I just hate the developers of that game so much, and anyone involved in it, that I automatically poo poo it up at every opportunity

The gun play was O.K, I had a lot of fun in it for the first 1-2 months, I think it was around early december of the first year that the hackers hit it like a freight train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Yes you did, my bad.

I just hate the developers of that game so much, and anyone involved in it, that I automatically poo poo it up at every opportunity

The gun play was O.K, I had a lot of fun in it for the first 1-2 months, I think it was around early december of the first year that the hackers hit it like a freight train.

No, I feel you. It's worth admitting I was wrong, too. It's not a reskin. They really didn't reskin much at all. The zombies literally look exactly the same. They added some content, sure, but you can still tell exactly what it is. Apparently they've got Romero's son as a "creative consultant," but there's no way this isn't a one-way train to them milking people for money, or so I assume. In any case, I guess it might be fun to gently caress around with for a bit, since it's free in my case. The base building might actually be less janky than H1Z1, somehow.

• Locked thread