Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Republicanus posted:

I hope they're not stopping at the old boring "bear, mountain lion, squirrel" classic North American trio of forest animals.

I heard they have also added reanimated dead people controlled by AI called "zombies", they sound pretty neat-o.

Also if you're not interested in playing a Battle Royale style gamemode the $40 package seems useless as that's the only real thing you're getting much extra of for your money, event tickets. And supposedly, that's all they're for, they let you play a round in an event server, the only one which has been mentioned so far is the Battle Royale type gamemode. If it included in-game dollars for micro-transactions I'd probably see the worth, but otherwise meh.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Release pushed back (again) to 1pm PST. Reddit is real mad: "Really, a 2 hour notice on this delay? Some people took off work today. Stick to your word, you're about to lose another customer."

If you want to make your empty threat realistic you probably shouldn't sperg out and post on Reddit about how excited you are for a month, then threaten to not buy the game because it's coming out an hour later than you expected. Also that person should acquire a better work ethic.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

It basically caused a divide between "Goons who will grief pubbies and PVP under any circumstances", and "Goons who scream to the point of distorting their microphone about how ruining fishing is destroying their game."

It was the classic PVP vs PVE ideology at work in an MMO. Although the drama has been put to bed, and friendships reforged, the meme remains.

Also yes, fishing is a major way to get food in this game.

http://h1z1.gamepedia.com/Fishing

Did they confirm it recently? Every source I've seen has said it won't be present at release.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

suboptimal posted:

So do we have a Steam group set up for what will undoubtedly be GOTY 2015 yet? If not, I can make one later tonight or early tomorrow. Now accepting your nominations for pithy and degrading names.

Stolen from Reddit: "Five Nights at Smedley's"

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Meanwhile, on the Steam forums...

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

6gb download, not bad.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

Login servers down.

:soe:

A few minutes ago their entire site was down, seems to be back up now, though.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So would I be a huge giant idiot if I dropped $20 on this now to make up for how much I hate DayZ but want a game like this to play?

At most, a moderately sized idiot. That being said, login servers are down and you can't play right now.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I mean, does it have zombies, guns, vehicles, and some amount of features? I can deal with launch day issues if it's playable. Though I'm not sure what those event tickets and stuff are supposed to be and feel like that doesn't augur well for their payment model

A few cars are in, a few guns are in, zombies with a few different models are in, some different types of wildlife are in, a crafting system is in, PvP and PvE servers are in.

Event tickets are basically admissions to one-off gamemodes like a Battle Royale type of thing. Something that isn't actually necessary for gameplay, but just to dick around in and probably win some sort of customization for your character by placing 1st. As for what a "Launch Crate" is and how it differs from a "Air Supply Crate", hell if I know.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hahaha looks like their websites down once again

Yeah the H1Z1 launchpad won't even connect for me.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Vulcan posted:

So much for :10bux: Airdrops being cosmetic only:

http://imgur.com/oW353Pj

Tan Military Backpack
Waist Pack
AR15
Land Mine
2x First Aid Kit
90x .223 Round
Pistol

Meh, there is a minimum player count required to trigger an airdrop. Seems fair enough, someone pays for an airdrop, X amount of players get a chance at getting items. They also don't drop right on the person that calls them from what I understand, they just drop somewhere randomly in the map.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

gently caress you and your launcher screen.

I think it's because I had to change my password. SOE has the same lovely password requirements as origin between 8 and loving 15?! gently caress you! At least go to 24.

I asked for a password reset and never got the e-mail, because I thought I was getting the password wrong. Turns out I was getting it right, it's just that I can only get past that error about one in twenty tries. It also gives me a "system has encountered an error" message upon trying to login to any SOE sites with my credentials most of the time.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I got that once, next time I tried to log on it worked fine (barring the broken server browser, that is).

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So I was running with two pubbies and chalked up 3 kills of people who think they're going to take on 3 lumberjacks with their little sticks and bows, finally we come across some ammo for a gun one of the guys had, and shortly after came across some guy and his friend who obviously called in an airdrop. Thinking he was some godlike player, he started telling us to drop our poo poo before shooting at the ground near us, so the guy in our little group with the gun shot and killed him pretty much immediately, and then his friend sprinted away. So we got an extra 1911, some ammo for it, an empty AR15, and a combat knife out of it. Then we all slowly starved to death as every berry bush in the server was glitched and not allowing us to pick them, and as we all know blackberries are the only current source of sustenance in game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

sounds like the airdrop dude got the last laugh :smug:

Nah, I logged out before my hydration hit 0%, I'll log back in later when the loot hotfix is up as I'm right outside a few warehouses that have breakable boxes in them and a bunch of tool chests.

Also that was the second group of pubbies I met, the first was at some gas station, there were 3 of us at first, then there were like 10 and most of them went off to forage for berries, I went into a house to check the cabinets real quick and by the time I left the house they were gone and I never saw them again. :(

Eonwe posted:

you have to have your fists out to pick up berries, its pretty dumb

I was running through berry fields with my axe out earlier spamming E and was picking them just fine. Maybe it's having a gun in your hand that does it?

Eonwe posted:

also after you make a bow your first thing to craft should be a bow drill

Ah, I figured you needed a lighter or matches considering I found charcoal on some guy I branch'd to death. Also, that's where I found my axe.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

And here I've been thinking if I'm ever in a live or die situation, rain water was generally a safe bet for drinking. Oh how wrong I was.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Eonwe posted:

yes, the police station has lots of guns, and its the only place I've found ammo at

In the back of gas stations and in warehouses there are brown wooden boxes that you can break (they also respawn pretty often compared to actual loot containers). They have ammo in them every once in awhile, alongside purified water and canned food.

ICMB posted:

Nope, because it just showed "0/10 arrows" in the HUD so I figured they needed to be in a place. I'll see if I can get back in.

When you nock the arrow with RMB it'll show as 1/9, it was displaying properly. You had no arrow in the bow, and 10 in your inventory.

Edit: Also arrows travel at like 10 feet per second.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Makeup Vanity Set posted:

Smed graced me with the ability to play for a small amount of time today which allowed me to find a bus stop floating above a curb. Shortly after I was murdered by a speedhacking bear. Good job, boys.

I think you're just underestimating the speed of a bear!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

If anyone here is still seriously thinking about buying this "game", my PayPal is open for donations, because at least giving your cash to me gives you the satisfaction of having done something good with your money.

Keep in mind, most of the people in this fact are drawn to the fact they can use this game to take money from people.

Also, according to the Smedmaster General himself .5% of people have requested a refund, there sure is a lot more than .5% of the playerbase complaining... the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tide posted:

I keep forgetting to discover the blackberry juice recipe...

Is it blackberries, sugar, and an empty bottle, or?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I am taking full credit for running Reddit off our server. Thanks.

Is it better because there are less spergs, or not as good because there are less spergs to make rage? You may have just ruined the server entirely.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Republicans posted:

About how many hits to the noggin does it take to kill someone now with, say, a hatchet?

Too many.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Fanatic posted:

You used to be able to play them when the game released, but they have been unjoinable for awhile now. I heard they may become pay to play using those event tickets.

That was the original intended purpose of the event tickets, yes.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Knightmare posted:

Does BR not use tickets right now? I've been finding about one per hour right now. Including in containers I've already checked (stealing someone's goodies out of a shack).

...You can put tickets in a container? Can you not just keep them in your global inventory with your skins and such?

Just killed a guy and got some 1911 ammo (I had 11 rounds that I spent shooting at him, the last of which killed him), a shotgun, a combat knife, shotgun shells, a bunch of MRE's, a combat knife, a bunch of meat, a first aid kit and a bunch of bandages, a motorcycle helmet, his shirt, and a military backpack. In my heart, I hope I just took an airdrop's worth of supplies from him plus a little more.

I think other players are the least of my worries while I'm mucking around in this warehouse. Can my character die of cancer yet?

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 23, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Supposedly you can find them around as random loot. I have not yet myself.

Personally every container I look in is still empty, despite them having fixed it.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

What exactly is the quickdraw trick? When I used a bow (day after release, so the first PLAYABLE day) they took a decent amount of time to draw as well as the arrows traveling extremely slow.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Eonwe posted:

if you right click, you can immediately left click to shoot

Either not many people know about this or it doesn't really matter because bows are lovely anyway, because I just speared/hatcheted 5 or 6 people who ran up on me with bows. Not as a group, just over the course of 30 minutes that many people tried to arrow me.

Also, finally found scrap metal on a zombie. It also had a 1911, cool.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

Trying to figure out their plan by taking out the ground tamper though.

Is it possible to still build bases without it? I haven't bothered trying yet, as bases are huge 'steal!' beacons

Although the metal door fix should help for those not skilled in exploiting the game

How is it that you guys are "exploiting" through doors? I came across a base with nobody in it earlier, but it had a fire, a jail, punji sticks at the entrance (literally one thing of them which I jumped over... poor design), barbed wire on concrete barricades before that, a dew collector, and a shack with a locked door that I couldn't get through because I only had a branch at the time.

I can only imagine what they had stockpiled in it.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

When you log in to a server, for a few seconds (depending on how lovely your connection/computer is), structures will be invisible. As a result, you can literally just walk through them, since they're "not there" as far as your client is concerned.

Hm. They could probably completely fix this by making loot chests lockable as well, so even if you glitched into them you couldn't get into the chest. Then again, that would kind of ruin raids on a base as well.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Just stumbled upon a neat base in the woods in the middle of nowhere. They had no doors, but the way they designed it was that you had to walk along a super thin edge of a raised platform with the building built on it and kind of edge yourself along, and the entire underside where you'd fall was filled with punji sticks. I got in and took their wooden bow, which I assume was better than my makeshift bow (which I left him, cause I'm a nice guy).

Sappo569 posted:

I actually haven't tried that glitch to get into a base yet, I generally avoid bases if I see them.

I've walked into 4 or 5 bases now, none of them had people in them except one which had some guy trying to break down a door. He asked me to help him but it broke almost as soon as he said it, but there was no chest inside the locked building.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

I logged in one a PVE server after the patch and it was packed with loot. Despite a ton of people around, I quickly had a full set of clothing, 1000 inv backpack, 2 guns, 3 pairs of goggles, a hammer, and all the food I could eat. Sounds like it's more an issue of respawning after time.

Also you can't get metal scraps from hitting a car with a hammer, it just explodes.

I assume it's because you're hitting an actual car? You're supposed to hit a wrecked vehicle, the static ones that spawn on highways and stuff, and it might only work with crowbars.

Also another easy way to get loot is to go somewhere with high PvP concentration like Pleasantville and kill a few zombies, usually a pretty decent amount of them are players who have been killed in PvP there as I've gotten some leftover weapons, ammo, and clothing from them before.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Knightmare posted:

They did a patch Friday that seemed to fix it for a while (or because the server restart made items plentiful again) but loot doesn't seem to respawning, especially not in containers. The stuff spawned in the open seems to be working but only if no one has been around it for a while. They are addressing it tomorrow according to the twitter.

In the meantime, play Battle Royale because that poo poo is fun. Scroll down to the B's in the server list and every couple of minutes you should see a Battle Royale server pop up.

Does it work the same way as Arma 2/3 BR? Everyone spawns right next to each other then runs away to find a gun/ammo and are then enclosed to a circle?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Knightmare posted:

BR is free to early access players for the time being, doesn't use tickets yet. It also rewards all players with a mystery bag (usually, unless rewards bug out) just for playing.

Does the mystery bag contain cosmetic items that you keep on your account or something?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres at the very least a "Battle Royal" and "Battle Royal Loser" shirt skin you can get from them.

I just played two rounds, didn't get either of those. I got a hat skin and a shirt skin, so basically everyone should just abuse this while they can and get free cosmetics that will likely be from crates/keys later on.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

They should make event tickets for something else and make Battle Royale a free alternate gametype. Make event tickets for like a loving race gamemode or something, I imagine a lot of people would buy this game just to dick around in the Battle Royale gamemode.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Akion posted:

There are also crates like TF2/CS.

Although, like I said, at the moment if you want a bunch of cosmetic stuff just play BR while it's free and you get skins.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

BR servers fill up so fast that it's ridiculous. Waited for a little bit until a BR server popped up, very low population, go to join and immediately I am put in queue as 68 with a hour long wait, so I say gently caress that and look at the server browser; it's already "high" on the population level.

Edit: Also cancelling a queue disallows you from joining other servers until you restart your game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

M2tt posted:

Is there a trick to actually getting rewards from BR? I played 5-6 rounds last night placing anywhere from 30th to 4th, but didn't get any rewards. I know they're buggy, so I wasn't expecting to get them for every match...one or two mystery bags would have been swell, though.

I died almost immediately in the two rounds I played and got a bag both times. Are you sure they aren't in your account inventory? Mine show up when I join another game afterwards.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Don't you know his team almost qualified in ESEA one year? Jeez, show some respect.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

vandalism posted:

Shotguns are the best.

Except in BR, they suck when everyone else has AR15's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Atarian posted:

I don't think I'd last very long in a post apocalyptic world.

I doubt in a real apocalyptic scenario people would go around on a murder spree. In Dayz, WarZ, H1Z1, whatever, everything is purely digital; you're not actually taking anyone's life and your life isn't at risk (barring deep vein thrombosis).

• Locked thread