Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
For some reason I bought into this, collecting early-access survival games is like a sickness. I'll probably pop onto CTS once this is done downloading, depending on whether I can log in or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Vulcan posted:

So much for :10bux: Airdrops being cosmetic only:

http://imgur.com/oW353Pj

Tan Military Backpack
Waist Pack
AR15
Land Mine
2x First Aid Kit
90x .223 Round
Pistol

The air drops weren't supposed to be cosmetic, they're "supposed" to be non-pay-2-win because people could, in theory, kill you and open the airdrop themselves. My question is how close they drop to players and how visible are they from a distance.

EDIT: Also it sounds like they're going to throw more hardware at the login servers in the next half-hour to an hour, so maybe I'll be able to join the initiation some time tonight.

Shadefyre fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 16, 2015

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Thepossiblelight posted:

I've come here from downtown boulder.
I'm here on a mission of mercy.
I've come to lead you all to the promised land.

We will take the streets, we will storm the post offices, the grocery stores, the auto shop, the ski lodges.
We will take the field in glorious battle and emerge victorious, walking on the slain; human and zombie alike.

We will make it our creed and life's work to troll.
Make no mistake, we will troll.

This is sorta similar to the Night of The Long Flashlights, if you were there at ~that game~ launch night. Also if so, I'm sorry.

EDIT: Progress? I'm past the error and getting a server browser now, but the only thing that shows up on it is some default text in the fields, no actual joinable server.

Shadefyre fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Any goons still hanging around in CTS to give this a go?

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
This thread is going to end up going the way of the two WarZ threads isn't it?

Anyhow I think we had some fun setting up our little hobo goon fuckshack last night.

Until I got trapped in the dewcatcher.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Ignore the shitposters. It's not difficult.

I just meant that it's eventually going to get locked when the people who bought it and the people who didn't keep taking digs at each other.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I think we made pretty good progress tonight from hobo shitshack to metal goonfort.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah this is really why I'm interested in seeing what a big dev studio does with the genre, maybe they'll implement actual gamey stuff like custom factions and meaningful territory control

Nether got both of these things, and it didn't help. Of course, the investors buying up the game from the team and handing it off to a money-extraction-focused team probably didn't help either.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
I took a couple shots of the goon slumtown fort, as it makes it's way towards Detroit-esque sprawl.

You can see The Farm in the distance, and the variety of stuff built over, as well as the traps to feed ravenous goons. You can't even really see the extra additions in here, my bad.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Some people are really god damned determined to glitch into goonbase and log. I think the sheer size of New Detroit is working against us in the early hours of the morning, when there only a few of us on and some people trying to pull out every exploit in the book to get inside.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Goons can be a little silly about Reddit, for sure. I've never had a reddit account and still got told to gently caress off by one of the main DayZ SA goons for posting in the PGS thread. Apparently they set up some sort of Redditor trap by posting on Reddit (ironically I guess?) telling them to come post in the PGS thread to infiltrate the dirty KOS goon bandits or something. Goon drama is silly, I'm glad that the WarZ group was small enough to avoid that.

Anyhow, on topic, is Detroit occupied by pubbies now? I'm wondering if I'll have to log in guns blazing to break out and head to goon camp.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Orv posted:

I have to wonder if a spear would be the ultimate anti-bow weapon. Just sprint around someone stabbing them to death while they try to hit you with the tiny hitbox arrows.

At least until they add that recipe for taping torches to a spear with duct tape, which I haven't seen anywhere.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

When you log in to a server, for a few seconds (depending on how lovely your connection/computer is), structures will be invisible. As a result, you can literally just walk through them, since they're "not there" as far as your client is concerned.

A couple goons and I actually had to use this method to free ourselves after we tried to secure the Waste Disposal Tunnel by sticking a metal shack in the doorway so that you had to climb through the window to get in. It worked on the way in, but not on the way out. We would have been trapped in there without this bug. On the flipside, the guys who built crapshacks inside the tunnel are probably trapped when they log back in.

Also since not everyone seems to be aware of it, you can apparently destroy every kind of fence with a shotgun, including the metal chainlink ones. I haven't tried other ways of breaking them yet, but it's handy for cutting people off in neighborhoods and chasing them down. However, they seem to be indestructible to vehicles.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Kidnapping a pubbie with a few goons instead of just murdering him was pretty neat, even if the server was a bit too underpopulated to make the most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOntoPoaRA

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

SuicideSnowman posted:

This is the reason why the entire Battle Royale gametype is flawed in my opinion. There needs to be more forced interactions with other players. The idea of the gas is to essentially push people closer together but even then that's still not enough sometimes. I'm not faulting you, because honestly the best way to win the game is to avoid combat but I think the idea needs to be improved upon.

Maybe an exploding collar that forces players to kill another player within 5-10 minutes or it kills them? Twenty four hours is a bit unreasonable to force interaction for the gametype, and 5-10 minutes seems like a good enough amount of time to find someone in the zone.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
So now we have handcuffs, body armor, and have to sleep in beds. Is there still fun to be had here? I haven't hopped in a while, was immediately ambushed by two guys with bows last time. As a side note to that, can you just calmly stand still with a bow while taking a beating and one-shot your attacker with ease?

EDIT: It sounds like I'm against these changes, but considering last time I played with goons we kidnapped a pubbie, I'd totally be down for roadside "arrests" with the Pleasant Valley PD.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
How do you throw a grenade? I tried to use one last night in BR, and got killed because I ended up stuck with it in my hand and couldn't switch off. Left click just slapped with it, and right click brought it up on screen, but then neither left nor right would throw it, and I couldn't change weapon after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
And now you can spend 20$ for Battle Royale, without even needing to pay the extra 20$ for the sub-par main game! Smedley always delivers.

• Locked thread