Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm sure they'll add an option to get the other stuff for $20 if you already bought the base version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are there at least any decent streams going of people actually in the game?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nooooo, I haven't played that yet and I wanna some day. Hopefully it'll be on the eshop soon for the wii u.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My cpu/gpu fans are going bonkers when I'm playing and every time I press e the game hitches. It's an open world zombie survival game alright. So here's what I've managed to work out so far:

- You can make a bow with a wooden stick you can pick up off most plants and a scrap of cloth you can make by tearing up your shirt. Keep any extra scraps for later bows because they can wear out over time.
- Arrows can be made two at a time from one stick. Make as many as you can. Zombies will go down in a single headshot but the bow has about as much range as you can spit so aim high unless they're right in your face.
- Blackberries are fairly common and can help stave off hunger/thirst until you can find something more substantial.
- As far as I can tell you can't drink directly from water sources, which are all ankle-deep for some reason.
- There are voice comms but typing in the chat window doesn't seem to work.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder if they made it this crappy on purpose because people who like these games find it charming.

Although to be fair it's better than the DayZ knock-off the Big Rigs guy made.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone getting disconnected constantly?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tracula posted:

Is there any game SoE has done that they haven't eventually hosed up and run into the ground?

Did they do something bad to Planetside 2? I played a lot of that game and only stopped because you can only pour so many hundreds of hours into the same shooter.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eonwe posted:

walked up to a sign with a map on it

some girl with a super annoying voice told me not to be "that guy and kill me because im a girl"

i told her that using the gender card triggered me and to check her cis privilege and then shot her in the head with an arrow

10/10

Will arrow headshots kill players in one hit? I nailed a guy with one earlier but two seconds later I was disconnected.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tide posted:

This is what has puzzled me more than anything. SOE has, our had, some really great mocap technology 10 years ago. What happened to it?

I'd love to find out how many people are actually on this project full time.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Not very many, I don't think. I want to say probably less than 15, at least a few of which are pure "level designers" and "balancers."

If it was more than that I'd be shocked.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have no intentions of ever playing a lovely zombie/monster survival game. But I have every intention of following this thread as well as the Day Z thread. Please make sure to share as much of this bullshit as you can. That's why I'm here. Thank you.

See, that's the fun kind of broken I like to see in video games.

Anyway, finally got to play for a substantial amount of time. Shooting zombies (and people) in the head with arrows is probably the most satisfying gameplay mechanic I've experienced in this game, DayZ or WarZ. Two dudes with pistols attacked me at that cabin lodge near the big lake and I managed to kill one and wound the other before I died. I just logged out inside what appears to be a nuclear waste storage facility and thankfully radiation isn't in the game yet. Tomorrow I plan on spreading the gospel of bows to every non-hostile I encounter.

Hopefully the patch supposedly going up in about half an hour will fix that annoying stutter when you press the interact button.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I watched a live stream earlier where they called in a crate and inside was about 50 zombies, and an assault rifle with 90 rounds, and then watched the live streamer herd away the zombies, and come back to the crate to find some Russian guy running away with the gun, laughing.

That's why I keep buying these stupid games. I wanna be that Russian guy so bad.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Third World Reggin posted:

H1Z1: Yet another zombie survival game
H1Z1: The dev says it is p2w but ymmv
H1Z1: H1Z1 > DayZ? Smedley says no

H1Z1: Blackberry Picking Simulator 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh lordy. So I went to check out a crate drop and got shot at so I ran. They chased me and kept shooting so I turned around and killed them with my bow. Turns out they were goons who didn't hear me asking in Mumble if any other goons were in the area. Sorry, guys. I got all your stuff except for the backpacks at least. :(

I'm totally keeping this hat, though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I know it goes against the spirit of being a goon, but a little bit of comms discipline would go a long way when we've got a bunch of goons in one channel. Splitting off into subchannels because people can't stop talking over one another isn't a good solution if it just means we're going to kill each other in the wilds. At the very least, hit the VOIP button to ID yourself if someone is screaming at you.

Didn't that last server reset break in-game VOIP?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

warcrimes posted:

Are clans going to be a thing?

Being unable to easily identify allies sounds like one of the things the crazy people who play these games demands. Instead they want more hand gestures so allies can identify each other with a double chest-bump into a middle finger.

Also I want walkie talkies.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The problem is the genre is 100% based on "emergent gameplay" which means there isn't a game

Looting cache keys off zombies is a start.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Raiders came back when only two of us were active at base. They ended up busting down a few doors before we got things under control, mainly thanks to the timely arrival of Maniak and Akumos. They're definitely waiting for us all to leave before they come to try and break in.

E: And they're back again.

That's pretty much inevitable I think. Just like in PS2 there's no shortage of poopsockers/people in different time zones to undo all of your hard work while you sleep.

How high can you build? I'm hoping you can construct a nice, tall tower surrounded by barbed wire, pungee sticks and land mines with a line of multiple doors serving as an entrance.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That one I imagine is much harder to fix because it would require a lot more server-side inventory management. But if anyone knows how to patch out item duping it's gonna be an MMO dev.

Do all the other online survival games have similar duping exploits?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

shankerz posted:

Beware someone is no-clipping and laying landmines at goontama base.

I don't mind the duping since everyone's doing it but these drat no-clip/warp hack users are serious assholes. Between the recent abundance of them and the new bugs the latest patch added I'm inclined to take a break on this game because it feels like nobody can get anything done.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

About how many hits to the noggin does it take to kill someone now with, say, a hatchet?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Turtlicious posted:

It's 3 hits to the head with a spear, a weapon you can make within seconds of spawning.

e:nvm spears need metal shards now.

Hopefully rocks become a resource you can pick up and use for things like makeshift spears and hatchets instead of scrap metal, which is pretty tough to get under normal circumstances.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Home sweet home. :allears:

I saw something amazing today: You can build tamped earth foundations on lake beds. Forget making an island, we should fill in an entire lake.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sappo569 posted:

Doesn't want to work on barbecues though for some reason :(

Actually neither do lighters, but I used one successfully on a campfire

Nooooo, my punji stick palace. :(

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sappo569 posted:

Thought as much, I did someone had tampered the ground extending out over the road like an overpass... can't complain too badly that's the point of alpha

I imagine a server wipe will be coming pretty soon once they get the loot drops figured out

I wouldn't expect a server wipe until they fix the more egregious duping/warping exploits.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone else having problems with the game not loading after you select a character? I also tried deleting a character and nothing happens but it lets me make new characters.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Looks like all the storage boxes that were made since the last ones up and vanished have now also vanished. Luckily I saw this coming and kept all my poo poo in barbecues and furnaces.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Knightmare posted:

Tickets seem like a (chance * time since last ticket) calculation, they can show up in any container you check, even ones you've checked 3 seconds prior. I don't think they can be farmed any faster but one could probably come up with a bot that checks the same container every 5 seconds.

That explains why I found one in a gooncamp chest.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man that day when we had the first Goonfort operational before the dupe was found as rad was hell. I hope they fix that crap soon and wipe the servers so we can go back to that. I wanna build more rad forts and scavenge for parts while murdering every unlucky soul that crosses our path.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I really hope they make metal scrap more common because it's so drat important yet so scarce. Make wrecked cars generate it at set intervals like rabbit traps or something.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BlueGrot posted:

The problem is that a lot of the advanced recipes need simple tools. Build a deck with nails, logs and planks? Just need an axe, wood and scrap! Large shelter? 16 scrap and 4 logs please!

Considering how vulnerable they are even if you disregard exploits I'm fine with buildings not being super-hard to make.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm hoping they fix whatever makes my cpu and gpu run at over 80°C when I play it. It's like every fan in my system is screaming at me. Meanwhile I'm running Dying Light on max settings and it makes barely a peep.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kimsemus posted:

Just allow us to make primitive pipe shotguns and stuff like Rust.

That poo poo was fun and having 30 guns line up Napoleonic Wars style with single shot pipe shotguns to fire on pubbies was hilarious.

The item descriptions indicate they plan on having craftable guns and melee weapons besides makeshift hatchets/spears, so they'll come eventually.

I hope the server wipe means they figured out how to fix the duping. I really want us all to build a sweet fort again. If they make it so you can't use things like furnaces as steps over fences it'll be fun to have something properly defensible they can't just pick apart with infinite fire axes.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Blazing Zero posted:

let's be honest. if they thought there was a fix for duping in a patch, they'd be tooting that horn all over the place.

We'll see, but a wipe without first fixing a dupe exploit makes zero sense.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eonwe posted:

so im taking it the duping/glitching into walls thing is a "we're never fixing this, but dont do it or we'll ban you" type of thing

I'm sure they'll figure out the end process exploit eventually and I wonder if they can just make your character immobile when logging in before geometry loads to keep people from bypassing it. Would also let you actually log into your base instead of under it, too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just tested it, looks like they finally fixed the end process exploit. Can't loving wait for the wipe now.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

quote:

Tomorrow as part of our normal game update, we will be doing a complete server wipe. What does that mean for you? Think of it as a factory reset. We are going to be wiping the world clean of any player built structures, vehicle placement, everything. We are also going to be doing a full character wipe as well. Your characters will not exist on any servers, so you will have to create new ones.

What won’t be going away are any account locked items. These items are things like crates and crate keys. All the cosmetic skins you found inside the crate or won from Battle Royale will be safe and be locked to your account. The things that will not be safe are anything you have on your character or hidden in the world at the time of the wipe.

For people who purchased the Premium or upgraded to the Premium Edition will be topped off up to 3 Airdrop Tickets. If you already have 3 or more Airdrop Tickets you won’t be receiving any additional ones. This won’t happen at the exact time of the wipe but will be granted to your account within a few business days afterward.

Full server wipes are a part of Early Access and this won’t be the last one. They help make the game better in substantial ways. We appreciate your support in H1Z1 and the game has already grown a huge amount because of the collaboration between us.

You will receive the full list of other patch notes as we get closer to announcing when this downtime will exactly be tomorrow.

Get hype for some sort of catastrophe!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

suboptimal posted:

Seriously, I think I've been the only one in Mumble for a few days now unless I'm just missing a horde of 20 of you all by like two minutes.

I've been lone wolfing it since there hasn't been much point in any organized effort when everyone just dupes or repawns with their stuff if you kill them. Very much looking forward to getting the team back together after the wipe. Hopefully it happens early in the day.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aside from some missing punji sticks and an apparently-failed break-in attempt with a furnace my fort survived the night with all its goodies intact. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Until they get a handle on the more egregious hacks I'm just gonna carebare it up and play around with designing bases.

• Locked thread