Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

#1 post a photo of the end of the handle, not convinced the handle is supposed to screw on. without knowing the attachment method it's hard to know what you could replace it with
#2 if you got it off, what would you want it to look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

To me it looks like one of these which mentions that the handle can be twisted off - it was a gift from my gran years ago which is why I'd rather keep than replace.

I guess in terms of what I'd want it to look like, anything functional would do but being able to put it in the oven (without twisting the handle off) would be ideal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you want like, 40-80 grit max. Harbor freight sells a 24 grit flapper disc but that's probably too extreme for this. That depression certainly exists but it looks like it's maybe half a fingernail thickness deep. I doubt a fried egg or bacon is going to notice that while boiling in oil. I would focus on feathering the depression

Thanks. I don't have a grinder here, only a DA polisher and drill so I used a flat 60-grit disk, like with the velcro on the back. I don't know if that's the reason or it' happened to be a particularly crappy sandpaper but it was pretty tough to sand it down actually, and I didn't get everything completely flat. But as you say, probably good enough as I leveled it a little.

Did 3 coats (4th is in progress) of the way it's described in the Serious Eats article and it looks like this, still very shiny but a bit yellowish. Is this how it's supposed to look, because at this rate it's not getting that properly seasoned black look anytime soon.

My oven maxes out at 220c but it seems to be getting the pan up to at least 200c. This is on the bottom which I just wire-wheeled and is still properly black:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you getting smoke? Serious eats may have you using thr wrong oil for just 220c, their site makes my eyes bleed now. Shortening would probably work well.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. I don't have a grinder here, only a DA polisher and drill so I used a flat 60-grit disk, like with the velcro on the back. I don't know if that's the reason or it' happened to be a particularly crappy sandpaper but it was pretty tough to sand it down actually, and I didn't get everything completely flat. But as you say, probably good enough as I leveled it a little.

Did 3 coats (4th is in progress) of the way it's described in the Serious Eats article and it looks like this, still very shiny but a bit yellowish. Is this how it's supposed to look, because at this rate it's not getting that properly seasoned black look anytime soon.

My oven maxes out at 220c but it seems to be getting the pan up to at least 200c. This is on the bottom which I just wire-wheeled and is still properly black:

I'm not sure what the Serious Eats method is, but after trying a few methods I have settled on The Field Company using grapeseed oil.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jjack229 posted:

I'm not sure what the Serious Eats method is, but after trying a few methods I have settled on The Field Company using grapeseed oil.
It was this:
I don't have any fancy fats, jut sunflower, olive, butter, and sesame I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you getting smoke? Serious eats may have you using thr wrong oil for just 220c, their site makes my eyes bleed now. Shortening would probably work well.
A bit, but clearly not enough. I just left it on max broiler this time without temperature control and it's getting really spicy now.

Blackening much more after each layer, so I think it's working. Wasting a lot of electricity in the process but we'll see if it's worth it :v:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

It was this:

I don't have any fancy fats, jut sunflower, olive, butter, and sesame I guess.

A bit, but clearly not enough. I just left it on max broiler this time without temperature control and it's getting really spicy now.

Blackening much more after each layer, so I think it's working. Wasting a lot of electricity in the process but we'll see if it's worth it :v:

A few years ago I got pan with a fair bit of surface rust. I wire brushed down and did basically that method. It turned golden brown just like yours.

I think I did 4 rounds before I shrugged and just decided to cook on it. I made a grilled cheese sandwich, and the pan almost completely blackened up. The handle still has a bit of the golden brown tint but it's held up fine, and the pan as a whole works well.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

A bit avant-garde but nonetheless cool photos of the moon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ajkalan posted:

A bit avant-garde but nonetheless cool photos of the moon.

I don't think I mentioned it but it's the bottom of the pan as the top was too reflective and not measuring properly. I wirebrushed some crud off it so it's not super even

Aurium posted:

A few years ago I got pan with a fair bit of surface rust. I wire brushed down and did basically that method. It turned golden brown just like yours.

I think I did 4 rounds before I shrugged and just decided to cook on it. I made a grilled cheese sandwich, and the pan almost completely blackened up. The handle still has a bit of the golden brown tint but it's held up fine, and the pan as a whole works well.

After a few more coats at higher temp which got it quit a bit darker, and finally did the first experimental pork chop yesterday. It worked well and didn't seem to stick, though at the end there were some spots that did burn on, the non-reflective bits here:

Sorry this is super dumb but I guess I never used cast iron much and don't want to go through the whole process again for no reason :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, I did say it might go yellow, that happens sometimes if you have a little much oil, maybe. It blackens up as you use it. Just keep cooking with it now, those spots should fill in. Just scrape those off with a metal scraper.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got gifted a griswold

Top has rust

Bottom has more rust

Scrubbed with a non-abrasive sponge and soap, got most of the rust off but there was still some rusty tint to the pan. Oiled and heated:

Can’t see the rust no more. Is that good enough or should I strip it

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Don't worry about abrasives, just hit it with a brillo pad until it looks smooth and even, then reseason. Probably like ten to twenty minutes of scrubbing. You can also leave it to soak in a sink full of vinegar and water overnight, before you do the scrubbing.

It doesn't even look rusty, just a bit caked on, and still pretty thick in that last picture.

You're not gonna damage it, don't worry. The last time I cleaned mine it was with an orbit sander!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the oil is hiding the rust in the last pic. Standard policy is zero rust, right?

I’ll probably do it in winter when it’s not so hot then

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
gently caress the police. Eight years of abuse and poor pan maintenance, meet angle grinder + strip disc, then sanding sponge + bar keepers friend. :q:

https://i.imgur.com/I0yzkmx.mp4

I followed this seasoning guide with organic linseed oil and it came out looking like this. :drat::dudsmile:

Edit: I just realized how much I love that there are two completely contradictory schools of thought on cast iron.

The virgin cast iron school of thought: “If you so much as look at a pan wrong and touch it once with soap, you’re history’s greatest monster. Never clean, only cook.”

The chad cast iron school: *straps on a double respirator and grabs the angle grinder/orbital sander* “Iron was forged in the heart of a dying star and I can’t wait to see myself reflected in its mirror-like shine courtesy of this frying pan.”

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 29, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That looks beautiful!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can I post about carbon steel pans in here too? I need help. :(

I am trying to see if I can ditch all my lovely nonstick pans covered in forever chemicals and instead use carbon steel for all my non-stick food needs. (Also because I just remodeled my kitchen and got an induction stove and none of those pans work on it anyway.) I bought a little Merten & Storck pre-seasoned pan to test that plan. It was amazing the first time I used it, thanks to the pre-seasoning, and has gotten progressively worse since. I like to make breakfast burritos with chorizo and eggs, and even though the chorizo is pretty greasy, it isn't enough to keep the egg from sticking all over the pan. Yesterday I followed the Serious Eats method for seasoning carbon steel and went through 4 rounds of heating the pan, applying vegetable oil, putting it on my stove on med-high and waiting for it to stop smoking, repeat 3 more times.

Well this morning I made another breakfast burrito and

There is less stuck on poo poo compared to before I seasoned it, but this is obviously not great.

What it looks like after I cleaned it up.

How do I fix this? It would only take maybe 5min for the pan to stop smoking with each round, then I would repeat the steps. Was that not enough time? Should I do these steps inside the oven instead? Do I just need to do the steps another dozen times? I am feeling close to saying gently caress it and just buying more lovely non-stick pans, please talk me off the ledge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You probably need more heat before dropping the eggs.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
my understanding is that "non-stick" surfaces like well-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel will never be as foolproof as chemical non-stick pans. you still need a bit of oil, and everything else is down to technique. even then, scrambled eggs seems like the ultimate test of a cast-iron or carbon-steel pan's non-stick properties, so a pan you just seasoned yesterday is probably still going to disappoint you

I'm afraid I don't have great advice for scrambled egg technique on carbon steel, but I think if you treat the egg more like an omelet and let it set before trying to move it, that will help — my omelets are probably too rubbery for most folks, but that is what has worked for me in my cast iron pan in the past. in my limited experience, making fluffy, undercooked egg curds in carbon steel or cast iron without a little bit of a mess to clean up afterwards seems out of the question

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You probably need more heat before dropping the eggs.

Hrm.

DasNeonLicht posted:

my understanding is that "non-stick" surfaces like well-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel will never be as foolproof as chemical non-stick pans. you still need a bit of oil, and everything else is down to technique. even then, scrambled eggs seems like the ultimate test of a cast-iron or carbon-steel pan's non-stick properties, so a pan you just seasoned yesterday is probably still going to disappoint you

I'm afraid I don't have great advice for scrambled egg technique on carbon steel, but I think if you treat the egg more like an omelet and let it set before trying to move it, that will help — my omelets are probably too rubbery for most folks, but that is what has worked for me in my cast iron pan in the past. in my limited experience, making fluffy, undercooked egg curds in carbon steel or cast iron without a little bit of a mess to clean up afterwards seems out of the question

Hrm.

For the record I've had the pan a couple weeks now and have done a single round of seasoning to it probably half a dozen times after I've cooked with it, yesterday was the first time I just tried to do it multiple times in a row. I guess I've only used it once to cook something different, bacon and then shrimp for some shrimp and grits and it was fine for that. I never thought I'd be able to replicate the non-stick pan experience completely with carbon steel but I guess my expectations were still unrealistic.

I will adjust my cooking technique and see if that improves things.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah thirding oil + heat before any food touches.

If your first cook step is chorizo on an empty pan, a thin layer of pork will bind to the pan. After removing most of the cooked chorizo, the thin layer remains and is basically velcro for whatever you cook next.

So even if you are cooking something that gives off fat, that process is too slow to protect the pan from the very first fond forming. Always give a very thin layer of oil or saved grease from last time first and you'll be golden!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BrianBoitano posted:

If your first cook step is chorizo on an empty pan, a thin layer of pork will bind to the pan. After removing most of the cooked chorizo, the thin layer remains and is basically velcro for whatever you cook next.

So even if you are cooking something that gives off fat, that process is too slow to protect the pan from the very first fond forming. Always give a very thin layer of oil or saved grease from last time first and you'll be golden!

Yeah I am starting with a cold pan and adding chorizo and some diced onion, cooking that up, then adding the whisked egg. Sounds like I should be heating the pan and adding additional fat before anything else. Thanks goons, I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BrianBoitano posted:

:hmmyes:

https://youtu.be/QkTcnjqUlmg?si=-cWNj9U-bWgjzBkY

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, you gotta preheat it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

BrianBoitano posted:

A spatula with a sharp-ish metal edge comes in handy if you muck this part up.

I also went through the same process of getting sick of throwing out nonstick pans and use carbon steel as much as possible now, but I do still have one that I bust out for really sticky reductions or delicate fish or whatever. The trick to making them last as long as possible is to only use silicone-coated utensils on them and just wipe them out with a paper towel or something when you clean them--metal utensils are an obvious no-no, but even wooden spoons and so on will still scrape off the coating over time, as will many brushes. Also, don't stack anything on top of them in the sink and put a kitchen towel in them for a cushion if you do stack them in the cupboard.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

My carbon steel pan looks the same if I clean it with soap and water without reoiling or whatever. That's fine!

Just let it preheat hot enough that you can see the heat visibly emanating. Take off heat, pour in oil and swirl to coat, back on egg and eggs in. Be generous with oil (extra tablespoon or so) if your pan is that sort of dry. I do fried eggs weekly and my pan is often in similar shape. I'd encourage using a flat spatula as above or dish spatula because it still sometimes sticks a little at times if I don't get it quite right but it'll release whatever is preventing it from gliding around the pan.

Scrambled eggs aren't really any different. Easier if only because you don't need to worry about the yolk breaking.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trip report: the chorizo is what is loving things up, for sure. Got the pan hot, added oil, tossed in my chorizo and onions and let them cook. When I got to adding the egg stage it still stuck everywhere the chorizo had been, but didn't stick in the other spots! Woo! I did use a metal spatula this time and scraped out most of the stuck bits, it tastes ok. I want to cook the chorizo and eggs in the same pan so the egg incorporate all the good grease and spices so I am not sure how to fix this. More oil? Higher heat? I am coming to realize that I've really done myself and my culinary troubleshooting skills a disservice by primarily using nonstick pans for cooking for the majority of my life.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can eventually get enough practice where that may not even happen. You're likely turning the chorizo early

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
just got one of these bad boys again. 12 inch lodge, maybe too big because my bird wrists hurt trying to lift it with one hand.

is the seasoning ritual still "dont overthink it"? I put lard on the pan, then wiped off as much as I could, then baked it in in the oven at 400 for an hour, did that about 4 times. now im cooking with it as much as I can, but im noticing this time around that I have a metallic taste in my mouth after making items on it. Does that eventually go away as the pan gets more seasoned? Starting to be a real downer.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

just got one of these bad boys again. 12 inch lodge, maybe too big because my bird wrists hurt trying to lift it with one hand.

is the seasoning ritual still "dont overthink it"? I put lard on the pan, then wiped off as much as I could, then baked it in in the oven at 400 for an hour, did that about 4 times. now im cooking with it as much as I can, but im noticing this time around that I have a metallic taste in my mouth after making items on it. Does that eventually go away as the pan gets more seasoned? Starting to be a real downer.

I heat it to 300°F before greasing it and wiping it dry (use oven mitts and rags you don't mind abusing and be careful (can anyone tell me if preheating is really necessary?)) then leave it at 500°F for an hour to give the residual grease a chance to burn off and polymerize (and let it cool in the oven overnight). 400°F is not hot enough. I'm not a chemist, but I think I've read that lard performs worse when seasoning a pan compared to vegetable oil; nevertheless, any grease should work over time

if you are cooking anything acidic, that might explain the metallic taste

happy thanksgiving to all who observe

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
My cast iron is in a mix of different conditions, so I want to strip and reseason it. Here's a gallery of the pieces I'll be working on https://imgur.com/a/3nfrjRo

The largest one, I baby it because I use it for eggs. It's a little uneven and It'd be fine if I didn't reseason it, but might as well. The 8 inch and 10 inch pans are my beaters, lots of chips in the seasoning. The smaller ones are mostly testers.

Questions:

- Is 2 days in a lye bath likely to do the trick? I can put them in a 5 gallon bucket with lye, but I would need results in that timeframe(my housemate will be out of town monday and I wanted to season them while she's out). If temperature matters, it's around 50-55 in my garage.

- Can I get away with just mechanical cleaning instead? I'm thinking a wire wheel and maybe a quick-strip disc

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

After causing at least 3 redditors to commit suicide, here's the worst of the pans

Had a quick crash course to find the best way to remove all of the scale & old seasoning before settling on knotted wire wheel -> hot lye -> phosphoric acid -> gentle scrub. 3 coats of seasoning later, it's unrecognizable from what it once was.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Looking good!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Whatever I cook tortillas on my cast iron, I don't love how the skillet looks by the end. I tend to go mid-high heat because that's the best way to get them to puff, but by the end the.paj can be a bit worse for wear.. is the best bet just to oil the pan every few tortillas?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wanted to share a small victory. After a decade of seasoning, I cooked Korean bulgogi on my 10” lodge knowing full well the marinade would leave behind a burnt mess the likes of Vladimir Komarov’s corpse. But surprise surprise the burnt mess popped off with a strike from a wooden spoon:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Carillon posted:

Whatever I cook tortillas on my cast iron, I don't love how the skillet looks by the end. I tend to go mid-high heat because that's the best way to get them to puff, but by the end the.paj can be a bit worse for wear.. is the best bet just to oil the pan every few tortillas?

I just use butter and watch my heat level. If I'm in a rush, I cook 3 at once and move them around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also in other news Griswold is shockingly light compared to Lodge. 12” lodge is 8lbs, 12” Griswold is 5lbs.

Griswold was starting to stink of oil rancidity. I heated it to 350° and now it smells fine. I suppose maybe last time I used it I must’ve oiled it up and not heated it. Never knew that could be an issue.