Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When you guys are cookin' your steaks and frying up chicken and whatnot, how do you minimize oil splatter? Or do you just aim the pan away from you and resign yourselves to twenty minutes of wiping down your kitchen stove and countertops, or do you use those mesh splatterguards or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, I wear lovely clothes or an apron and clean up after. 20 minutes seems like a lot, usually it's just a quick wipe down with a soapy paper towel or two. There's not that much splatter in my experience.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

If I'm doing something like the Kenji butter-basted steak I just give up and do it on my brewing burner outside.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use cheap mesh splatter guards I bought at Dollar Tree years ago. Works well for me, but I still wipe down the stove afterward.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yo gently caress that dude throwing shade on cast iron.

Every single lick of that was cooked in the past couple weeks in a lodge skillet using recipes posted in this thread. Made a whole ton more but only have recent pics on my phone. Thanks y'all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tesilential posted:

Yo gently caress that dude throwing shade on cast iron.

Is this a quichefrittata with a crust or a pot pie without its top?

That all looks good, yo.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Made some pan fried red potatoes in my pan today with bacon grease and butter. They were so loving good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

I use cheap mesh splatter guards I bought at Dollar Tree years ago. Works well for me, but I still wipe down the stove afterward.

Me, too. Only mine came unused from a yardsale.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Want to treat my wife to some sort of pot pie or meaty casserole dish. Anyone got a recommendation for a recipe? I have a 12 inch cast iron skillet

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Want to treat my wife to some sort of pot pie or meaty casserole dish. Anyone got a recommendation for a recipe? I have a 12 inch cast iron skillet

I did a shepherd's pie in my 12" skillet a while ago and it was really good. Unfortunately the recipe's in a cookbook so I don't have a link, but there are probably some good ones online.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

I'd make that shepherd's pie because I love potatoes, but this Double Crust Pot Pie from joythebaker.com is really tasty, too. Use her crust and ingredients but the method from serious eats (it's just better formatted) to follow.

I've both blind baked the bottom crust and not, and I really like how firm but gooey the inside is if you don't. I usually don't bother with the cream cheese (but then I also sub out the milk for heavy cream) and I'd recommend using some wine and a little paprika or cayenne in there.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Is this a quichefrittata with a crust or a pot pie without its top?

That all looks good, yo.

Pot pie. The other pic is crust on top and cooked.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

w00tmonger posted:

Chicken Pot Pie

You will need:
Root Veg: Onion, Potato, Carrot or Celery depending on preference.
Bacon Drippings or ExtraVirgin Olive Oil.
Other fresh or defrosted frozen veg of choice such as: Kernel Corn, cut green beans, peas, ect.
Cooked Chicken
Chicken Stock
Whole Milk
Corn Starch
Salt + Pepper
Pie crust top (I use half of a http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/easy-pie-dough-recipe.html)

Cut up onion, potato (small cubes), and celery/carrots. Sautee in Oven Safe Pan Of Choice at medium heat on a blob of bacon drippings or Olive Oil for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes can be mashed between fingers but not too soft. Add other veg.
Pre-Heat the oven to 425.
Add chicken stock and splash of milk to pan (Not covering all the veg, just soaking most of it). Add cooked chicken shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces. Add a tablespoon of Corn Starch. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer to thicken (about 5 minutes). Roll out pie crust (Keep it cold and covered with flour for easy non-stick handling!), top skillet with pie crust. Crimp and add slits to prevent poofing and to make it pretty.
Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown delicious.

Harvest Shepard's Pie

You will need
Root Veg: Onion, Carrot or Celery
Ground Beef
Other fresh or defrosted frozen veg of choice such as: Kernel Corn, cut green beans, peas, green and red pepper, ect.
Salt+Pepper
Sweet Potatos (1 or 2 for small pan, several for large pan, always make one more sweet potato then you think you need)
Butter
Paprika

Cook whole sweet potatoes till fork-tender. (Microwave is fine) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Sautee onions and carrot/celery in lightly greased Oven Safe pan until onions are translucent. Add ground beef, cook till most of the pink is out. Add other veg. Stir and remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
In separate bowl, quickly mash sweet potatoes and butter together until incorporated (Do not overwork! Just needs a quick mash). Spoon out and spread evenly on top of cooked meat+veg. Dust top with paprika. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until peaks of potatoes brown.

Amounts left rough to account for varying pan sizes. I use an 8 and 5 inch cast iron myself for smaller family meals. a 12inch will make a feast for 6 or 8.

These are kitchen tested and approved by hungry farm workers and delicate nibbler family members alike. Both are great with sriracha or hot sauce on top.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 6, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hello darling.

Perfect size for pot pie.
Is that the same pan? It's fuckin' beautiful.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubponticatePoster posted:

Is that the same pan? It's fuckin' beautiful.

Yep! Cleaned up beautiful. Shows how far gone a pan can be and restored.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yep! Cleaned up beautiful. Shows how far gone a pan can be and restored.

How did you season it? I freshly seasoned a pan a few weeks ago and it's not nearly as black.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Caddrel posted:

How did you season it? I freshly seasoned a pan a few weeks ago and it's not nearly as black.

Bacon fat and half an hour in a hot grill (like 500f).

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Caddrel posted:

If you stripped it down far enough that it was a shiny silver again, then it'll take longer for it to get black.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Saget IRL posted:

If you stripped it down far enough that it was a shiny silver again, then it'll take longer for it to get black.

What surprised me is that I did take mine to bare shiny metal, and I got that finish I showed you in one round of seasoning on the grill. It was still pretty soft though, scraped away some on the handle when I bumped it into a corner. Repeated gentle use has toughened it up considerably.

I find letting your cast iron cool down veerrryyy slowly helps. I just fire up the grill, pop in the greased pan upside-down, let it be at temperature for half an hour, then kill the heat and let it stay in the warm grill until completely cool. I do the same thing when heat-drying.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I sear each side of the steak in a cast iron for just under a minute on high heat, and as such I stick with a high smoke point oil like coconut.

Once I sear my steak I turn the heat down to a low-med setting and add a nob of butter seasoned with garlic, sage and the like and cook each side one time - compulsive flipping ruins the char that is trying to develop. How long each side takes depends on the size of the steak and rarity you are aiming for obviously, so use a food thermometer and a Google search to coordinate that.

Finishing off the steak I take the fatty walls around the steak and sear them against the pan for added flavor. (10-15 seconds)

Finally - just like grilling a steak let the steak rest several minutes before eating it. This will help the juices go into your mouth and not on your plate. Mmm juices.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've found ghee to be wonderful for cast iron. It has a ludicrously high smoke point, the flavor goes with anything, and it even seasons well. It's definitely my most used fat. More to the point, ghee steak is an amazing thing.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Just wanting to drop in here and say I love cast iron. We recently acquired my mother in laws ancient rear end cast iron pan and it's incredible. It's at least 20% bigger than the one I've had for eons and it makes a monster difference. I can now sear huge pieces of meat on it with no problemo.

Drifter posted:

When you guys are cookin' your steaks and frying up chicken and whatnot, how do you minimize oil splatter? Or do you just aim the pan away from you and resign yourselves to twenty minutes of wiping down your kitchen stove and countertops, or do you use those mesh splatterguards or whatever?

Like a few others have said a cheap splatter guard can save you all kinds of cleaning time.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Just wanting to drop in here and say I love cast iron. We recently acquired my mother in laws ancient rear end cast iron pan and it's incredible. It's at least 20% bigger than the one I've had for eons and it makes a monster difference. I can now sear huge pieces of meat on it with no problemo.

Like a few others have said a cheap splatter guard can save you all kinds of cleaning time.

I, for one, enjoy getting splattered with extremely hot grease when trying to cook stuff.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Paper With Lines posted:

I, for one, enjoy getting splattered with extremely hot grease when trying to cook stuff.

I will unsarcastically say there's something really nostalgic and old school about getting popped by bacon grease, especially when it's a really big rear end pop.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I had no idea there was a thread for this!

Just picked up two no-name fairly rusty cast iron saucepans yesterday for a quid each, with lids! Gonna clean them up once I have some linseed oil and vinegar later in the week. :woop:

Gotta see if I can get the wooden handles off first though, pretty sure they should unscrew.

Thinking about it, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them, they're kinda tiny and I can't think of anything I'd want to cook in them that the stainless steel pans won't do, but oh well!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Thinking about it, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them, they're kinda tiny and I can't think of anything I'd want to cook in them that the stainless steel pans won't do, but oh well!

Chicken pot pies and quiches. Single serving baked desserts like cobblers and poo poo.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Single serving steaks/burgers/meat/etc too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tyson Tomko posted:

Single serving steaks/burgers/meat/etc too.

I'm sorry, but why would anybody ever want to prepare just 4 ounces of steak? Ridiculous. 10 ounces and up or else you're basically eating a bowl of green beans at that point.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have a small cast iron frying pan for that (and I'm absolutely in love with it)

I've been amassing a set of things over the past couple of years of carbooting and for <£30 I've managed to get a frying pan, two enamelled casserole dishes, one with a lid, a huge enamelled le creuset roasting dish, and now these two saucepans. The saucepans are basically milk-pan sized, with one slightly larger than the other.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry, but why would anybody ever want to prepare just 4 ounces of steak? Ridiculous. 10 ounces and up or else you're basically eating a bowl of green beans at that point.

I could make the same argument for wanting a bigger pot pie or more cobbler too but it's all relative. MMM, peach cobbler sounds incredible right about now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tyson Tomko posted:

I could make the same argument for wanting a bigger pot pie or more cobbler too but it's all relative. MMM, peach cobbler sounds incredible right about now.

I would eat any amount of peach cobbler. Goddamn, it's good stuff.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've never eaten peach (or any) cobbler, guess I should try making some!

Edit:

For the hell of it and to make this less of a spam post, two saucepans and an obligatory frying pan:

They really are cheap and battered to hell, but at £2 they didn't really cost me anything.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 8, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just noticed my old rear end pan from my grams is a Wagner.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Hell yes, peach cobbler is some of the best poo poo to ever grace this wonderful Earth.

Bob Morales posted:

Just noticed my old rear end pan from my grams is a Wagner.

I'm stupid when it comes to cast iron brands. The one I inherited from my grandparents is also a Wagner. I take it that's awesome?

Over the weekend I used the ol' cast iron to rock a pork loin. A wonderful smelling house later it was excellent. I never take pictures of food but this smelled so good I had to (wanted to share it with my Dad who appreciates food like nobody else)

VVVVVVVV That is incredible. I would love to stand there with a big rear end stick (thing witch's brew style) stirring whatever is cooking. I would imagine that thing must weigh a 1,000,000 pounds and you probably got Goku himself to help you move it.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 9, 2015

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry
Cross posting from the Post Your Recent Purchases thread

I bought a 150 year old 30 gallon cast iron cauldron for cooking a large amount of food for a large amount of people. It took almost a year to find since a lot of them have had holes drilled through the bottom and turned into rusted out planters. The metal underneath the crud on this one is in really great shape. :woop:

I'm in the middle of stripping off the old seasoning now, so far so good. The inside is as smooth as any Griswold, no pitting at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

funkatron3000 posted:

I bought a 150 year old 30 gallon cast iron cauldron for cooking a large amount of food for a large amount of people. It took almost a year to find since a lot of them have had holes drilled through the bottom and turned into rusted out planters. The metal underneath the crud on this one is in really great shape. :woop:

I'm in the middle of stripping off the old seasoning now, so far so good. The inside is as smooth as any Griswold, no pitting at all.

Your first thing to cook must be toads and eye of newt.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

funkatron3000 posted:

That owns.

Would cook a giant batch of chili in there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That is awesome :allears: I'd have to make more friends just to have reasons to use it... Make sure to show pics when it's all cleaned up and in use!

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
How are you going to get it back from that cat though :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry

spankmeister posted:

That owns.

Would cook a giant batch of chili in there.

First use is probably going to be for a fundraising event this summer. Going with a brunswick stew, or maybe a gumbo if we get a shrimp donation. I'm already working on a design for the wood paddle we'll stir with.

Nettle Soup posted:

That is awesome :allears: I'd have to make more friends just to have reasons to use it... Make sure to show pics when it's all cleaned up and in use!

Will do! Unfortunately it looks like it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week and re-seasoning this thing is definitely an outside job.

Hunterhr posted:

How are you going to get it back from that cat though :ohdear:

Lots of skritches, her one weakness. :cabot: