Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry

Planet X posted:

I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic.

Look for spray oven cleaner, just check that the main ingredient is sodium hydroxide.

edit: If you're doing a bunch of pans, getting the pure lye granules and mixing up a bucket of concentrated lye solution is going to be a lot cheaper than a bunch of $5 cans of oven cleaner. If you're just doing a pan or two though, save yourself the hassle and just go with the spray. Have some bulk white vinegar on hand to neutralize the lye.

funkatron3000 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Planet X posted:

I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic. Anyone done this?

Look for caustic soda or sodium hydroxide in the drain cleaner section at the hardware store.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Planet X posted:

- I asked previously about stripping cast iron. Oven on cleaning cycle out of the question because it'll stink up the house and our oven doesn't have a clean cycle. A few recommended putting them in the grill for a while. I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic. Anyone done this?

I have not. I have used the vinegar method though, and that worked pretty good.Mind that you don't leave it in there too long though or else you'll be able to SEE it rusting once you take it out of the soak. It's actually quite interesting.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What I meant to mention is that all the oven cleaner I've seen in the stores has the scent mixed in, which I of course don't want in my pans. I assume that the pans would take on the "lemon" or "fresh" scent, so that would be undesirable. I also couldn't find pure lye anywhere, but I may poke around again before I head online to get it.

I have about 6 or 7 pans that have seen heavy use through the years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I assume also I should buy heavy rubber gloves for this, and that regular kitchen gloves wont do.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

This is what you want if you go the spray route: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Off-Professional-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B000JKCY8M/

Plus these stainless steel scrub pads https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scouring/dp/B002CQTXBC/

Regular rubber'ish kitchen gloves are fine.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
After I could not bring a cast iron skillet from the US in my hand luggage (~50% chance the TSA officers will like it and decide it makes a good addition to their kitchen consider it a weapon and confiscate apparently), I decided to order one on Amazon. I saw the Lodge ones in the US and I like them a lot, much better made than some I saw here in Germany at comparable prices.

What are the pros and cons of a 26 cm (10 inch) vs. a 30 cm (12 inch). I gravitate heavily towards the 12 inch because I mainly plan to use it for roast potatoes and steaks, so bigger may be better. Any reason to buy the smaller one?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like the smaller ones, as they're easier to wield, but furthermore fit nicely into a countertop convection oven (like a Breville) for 1 and 2 person meals. I can sear a steak or chop on the stove and finish it in the oven without turning the big oven on.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

If I could only have one I'd go with the 12 inch. Lodge pans are heavy as hell though, so if that's an issue, consider the 10 inch.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Weight is not an issue, I held both and the difference is not that big. I don't plan to one hand it (I want to get one that has that small squareish second "handle" opposite the handle) so it should be fine.

The thing is I want to avoid buying the smaller one only to then realize I need a bigger one and buy a second one. My kitchen storage space is limited, especially for heavy items like that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Hopper posted:

The thing is I want to avoid buying the smaller one only to then realize I need a bigger one and buy a second one. My kitchen storage space is limited, especially for heavy items like that.
Don't worry, you'll end up buying more than one anyway. :getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StrippingChat: media blasting cabinets do a drat fine job on cast iron, if you have access to one. It also gets you out of having to deal with a loving lye bath.

Screw that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I put mine on a charcoal grill with the lid closed for a while, then chiseled the outside crust off with a screwdriver. Didn't get it all off and I'll have to think of another way to do it or take it to my mom's house, I can't have a grill at my stupid apartment.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Tonights dinner is skillet pizza
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

Made 3 of them for a quick dinner, it worked alright!

Went back to the market on Saturday and found the third missing counterpart of those two saucepans I picked up a few weeks back, it's much rustier than the others but still could be worse. I should take a photo of them all cleaned up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I just finished a 4lb boneless lamb leg in the 10" Lodge (fit perfectly) and have rosemary potatoes done in the drippings. Oh my. The house smells so good right now.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I just finished a 4lb boneless lamb leg in the 10" Lodge (fit perfectly) and have rosemary potatoes done in the drippings. Oh my. The house smells so good right now.

Oh man, that sounds amazing. I've been craving lamb for about three weeks, but the wife doesn't like it. I might have to manufacture a reason for a get together just so I can make this. Invite someone that will insist on having lamb.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's Easter, there's your excuse. :v:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Walked downstairs this morning, and sitting on the stove was a 12" Lodge :gizz:. My first cast iron pan.

Going to make so many pizzas. It's a huge pan so I'm not sure what else to make in it. Also nice to have something I can put in the oven for once.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KingShiro posted:

Walked downstairs this morning, and sitting on the stove was a 12" Lodge :gizz:. My first cast iron pan.

Going to make so many pizzas. It's a huge pan so I'm not sure what else to make in it. Also nice to have something I can put in the oven for once.

A single serving of steak. (land- or water-based)

Pies. Delicious pies. (brownies and cookies and crumbles also count)

Mac & Cheese (the real kind)

Fuckin' Chicken (gently caress yeah)

Fajitas (ˇÓrale, a guevo!)

Jus' a li'l bit of Cornbread

Dutch babies (cheaper to make than to buy one at an orphanage)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drifter posted:

Fajitas (ˇÓrale, a guevo!)

Also make this bread with all sorts of crazy toppings (not just olives and pistachios). It's DEAD simple and super delicious. Also makes an EXCELLENT cast iron pizza/calzone dough!

W@W L@@K!!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Also make this bread with all sorts of crazy toppings (not just olives and pistachios). It's DEAD simple and super delicious. Also makes an EXCELLENT cast iron pizza/calzone dough!

W@W L@@K!!

Like I could afford pistachios. :mad:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Drifter posted:

Fajitas ( rale, a guevo!)

Went and found some recipes. Going to eat all the babies.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Midniter posted:

W@W L@@K!!

That bread looks amazing.

Cooked pizza in a skillet tonight. Turned out pretty good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Oh man, that sounds amazing. I've been craving lamb for about three weeks, but the wife doesn't like it. I might have to manufacture a reason for a get together just so I can make this. Invite someone that will insist on having lamb.
Yeah lamb isn't very popular these days. The only other person I know who likes it is my mother. I guess we're all just used to bland corn-fed meats, most people don't like game either because it has some kind of flavor.

It turned out delicious, BTW :yum:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Heated up some frozen Totino's pizzas on my cast iron griddle. nice crust for a frozen pie. I broke my pizza stone but I'm not heartbroken anymore.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Skillets are my preferred method for reheating leftover pizza (if the pizza is good enough to bother reheating). Sometimes I use my cast iron, but only if it's on the stove already since whatever skillet is nearest at hand is good enough. 20s in the microwave to melt the cheese then on the pan until the crust is crispy. Sometimes seems even better than when it was fresh.

Not sure I'd bother with a Totinos, but what the hell do I know?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Kenji et al at seriouseats suggest a waffle iron as a pizza reheating alternative- anyone tried his method and the cast iron one? Thoughts?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CrazySalamander posted:

Kenji et al at seriouseats suggest a waffle iron as a pizza reheating alternative- anyone tried his method and the cast iron one? Thoughts?

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/01/leftover-pizza-waffle-iron-delicious-crispy-gooey-cheese-stuffed-snack.html

But then you loose the crust. That is unacceptable. Toaster 4 lyf

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CrazySalamander posted:

It's mentioned in the article, but a skillet or toaster oven is the way to go. A waffle iron makes "a crisp-crusted, gooey-cheesed, brown-edged, stretchy, saucy, hand-held treat," you say? You mean like a slice of pizza? :rolleyes:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

From Rulman's Twenty

Weekday Coq au Vin

4 chicken legs
4 ounces/155 grams bacon strips, cut into ˝-inch/12-millimeter pieces, or 4 ounces/155 grams slab bacon, cut into lardons
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose/plain flour
1 carrot
8 shallots, peeled, or 8 roasted Shallots
2 bay leaves
˝ pound/225 grams white mushrooms, quartered
1˝ cups/360 milliliters red wine
2 tablespoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/gas 7.
Place the chicken legs on a large baking sheet/tray and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325°F/165°C/gas 3.
While the chicken is roasting, put the bacon, onion, and garlic in a large ovenproof frying pan, Dutch oven, or other heavy ovenproof pot (my choice is a large cast-iron pan if you have one). The cooking vessel should be large enough to hold the chicken legs snugly in one layer. Add two three-finger pinches of salt and enough water just to cover the ingredients. Cook over high heat until the water has cooked off, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until the onion has begun to caramelize, about 5 minutes more. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and bacon and stir to distribute it.

Nestle the chicken skin-side down into the onion mixture in one layer. Tuck the carrot into the pan, followed by the shallots (if using roasted shallots, reserve them until the end) and bay leaves, and then the mushrooms. (The mushrooms can rest on top if there’s not enough room in the pan; they’ll cook down.) Add the wine and honey and season with pepper. Add enough water to reach three-fourths of the way up the chicken. Bring to a full simmer over high heat. Slide the pan, uncovered, into the oven.

Cook the chicken for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, turn the chicken pieces skin-side up, and stir the ingredients to make sure that they cook evenly. Taste the sauce; add salt if it needs more. Continue to cook until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes longer. Remove the pan from the oven. Just the skin side of the chicken should be above the liquid. (If using roasted shallots, add them to the pan.)

If serving the chicken immediately, turn on the broiler. Broil the chicken until the skin is crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and discard the carrot and bay leaves. Serve the chicken and sauce in pasta bowls and garnish as desired. If the chicken is not being served immediately, it can be kept on the stove top for hours, or it can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. You may want to take the opportunity to degrease the sauce. Spoon off the fat that rises to the surface, or refrigerate the chicken and remove the congealed fat before reheating the sauce. To serve it, reheat it in a 325°F/165°C/gas 3 oven for 30 minutes and broil to crisp the skin.

This is one of my go to recipes to impress a small group of people, it's easy and tastes excellent. I like to make it the day before and serve with mashed potatoes, although it would also be good with wine or noodles.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I've reheated pizza in a skillet w/ lid, and the "wrap in foil, freeze, heat in oven". Both work well, much better than microwaving and getting soggy crust.

Got some fixings for bar pies, so gonna try making those sometime this week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I always gorged myself on crab rangoons and eggrolls because they get weird in the microwave. Now I just throw them in the oven on my cast iron skillet and they come out crispy and delicious

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I usually just reheat pizza in the oven on a baking sheet. Does cast iron do it better? I find my way gets the cheese good again and also keeps the crust crisp instead of making it soggy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno but I have leftover pizza might as well try both methods out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cast iron + convection toaster oven reheats things really well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Cast Iron with a lid on top, cracked for steam, works really well. But I just eat cold pizza because gently caress it why not?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I eat a slice of cold pizza while waiting for a hot piece to come out of the toaster oven to douse with Louisiana.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Butch Cassidy posted:

I eat a slice of cold pizza while waiting for a hot piece to come out of the toaster oven to douse with Louisiana.

I eat a slice of cold pizza while waiting for a slice of pizza to heat in the microwave and then I eat that microwaved slice while waiting for a third slice to heat in the toaster oven. I loving love pizza.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Soggy microwave reheated pizza 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Tonights dinner is skillet pizza
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

Made 3 of them for a quick dinner, it worked alright!

Went back to the market on Saturday and found the third missing counterpart of those two saucepans I picked up a few weeks back, it's much rustier than the others but still could be worse. I should take a photo of them all cleaned up.

For what it's worth I found that when my tortillas were as close as possible to the exact inside diameter of the bottom of my cast iron pan the parmesan that I used as a crusty outside cheese more readily crisped up right on the edge of the tortilla because there was nowhere else for it to go. To cut them down to size I just found a pot lid that was near the diameter I needed and angled the blade to adjust the diameter a bit more as I used it to cut around the lid.