Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron gets a nice crispy crust again but the toppings don't soften and melt as much as I'd like. I say go with oven.

Use a foil 'tent' and cook the pizza on a lower heat so the toppings have time to warm as the crust crisps.

I LOVE using this cast iron reheat method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just made a batch of cornbread...this thing is going to the end of me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KingShiro posted:

Most foods do.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

KingShiro posted:

Did you cook it in bacon grease? You should.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I used one of those tiny cast iron pans they sell with a single serving cookie mix to cook burger patties.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

CrazySalamander posted:

I used one of those tiny cast iron pans they sell with a single serving cookie mix to cook burger patties.

We have one of these pans and I have always wanted to try this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CrazySalamander posted:

They sell a cast iron pan alongside cookie dough-mix? Really? That's...strange.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
During the holidays you can pick them up for anywhere from $3 to $10, although the only in stock ones now are going for about $25. They're meant as a generic small gift for people you have no clue what to get.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CrazySalamander posted:

I use mine to cook a single egg pretty often. Also good for a single biscuit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I must really be loving up my portion sizes since I usually just use my 12" pan for things.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Hunterhr posted:

Did you cook it in bacon grease? You should.

I've tried frying potatoes in bacon grease once and it wasn't very good. Wary of it ever since.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

KingShiro posted:

I've tried frying potatoes in bacon grease once and it wasn't very good. Wary of it ever since.

Frying eggs in bacon grease is pretty well second to none in my opinion.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sothern style cornbread made from batter poured into a screaming hot bacon greased skillet is pure delicious. And I am a guy who finds bacon :geno:

Combine with beans for a meal I could eat every day for a long rear end time and not get tired.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I need a better savory cornbread recipe. Mine is the standard one from the Martha White bag with a few modifications. Not bad, but not the great crumbly texture I want in a cornbread.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I need a better savory cornbread recipe. Mine is the standard one from the Martha White bag with a few modifications. Not bad, but not the great crumbly texture I want in a cornbread.

This is the one I've been using, with egg but no flour or sugar. It ends up crumbly with the measurements they provide, though I prefer roughly 1/4 cup more buttermilk or the white of another egg (depending on how much buttermilk you want to taste) to help it hold together a bit more. I also frequently replace the butter with baconfat and add bacon.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You're all going to laugh at me, but I like my cornbread a little sweet, with corn kernels in there. Cakey, rather than crumbly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You're all going to laugh at me, but I like my cornbread a little sweet, with corn kernels in there. Cakey, rather than crumbly.

Where I used to work we always had events catered from Famous Daves. Guess who would take a tray of those sweet corn muffins home?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love Northern style cornbread. But it stands alone with a smear of butter for me. Southern is burly enough to sop up beans.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This is the one I've been using, with egg but no flour or sugar. It ends up crumbly with the measurements they provide, though I prefer roughly 1/4 cup more buttermilk or the white of another egg (depending on how much buttermilk you want to taste) to help it hold together a bit more. I also frequently replace the butter with baconfat and add bacon.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/southern_cornbread/

That looks more like what I'm wanting there. Good enough to crumble into beans.

Am I terrible person for eating cornbread and milk growing up? It was something my grandfather and I did together and I remember it being pretty good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's just a roundabout porridge. gently caress the haters.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Why would anyone feel bad that they like a food? Because someone on the internet might say something?

Put ketchup on your eggs, beans in your chili, milk in your cornbread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

doctorfrog posted:

milk sugar in your cornbread.

:smugbert:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Too true. Too true. Live your life and enjoy your cornbread. :v:

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I always try to fry fish and chips with my dutch oven but it never comes out right. Probably not the dutch ovens fault though. The only thing I've been able to fry successfully was some chicken and plantains.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GreaseGunner posted:

I always try to fry fish and chips with my dutch oven but it never comes out right. Probably not the dutch ovens fault though. The only thing I've been able to fry successfully was some chicken and plantains.

What's wrong with them? I've had good luck making bomb fish tacos in my Dutch oven but I hate the way it makes the house smell

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreaseGunner posted:

Are you using a thermometer and the right temp oil? The right oil? Not crowding the pot?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

doctorfrog posted:

Why would anyone feel bad that they like a food? Because someone on the internet might say something?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No way does the actual quote say either and not 'neither'.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

GreaseGunner posted:

Ive had issues also with frying in mine, and i think it stems from getting the oil to hot and not bringing it to temp slowly so it can stabilize. And then crowding the pot.

BraveUlysses posted:

What's wrong with them? I've had good luck making bomb fish tacos in my Dutch oven but I hate the way it makes the house smell

What the gently caress are you doing to make fish tacos with a dutch oven? Im seriously confused.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

No way does the actual quote say either and not 'neither'.

:argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Ive had issues also with frying in mine, and i think it stems from getting the oil to hot and not bringing it to temp slowly so it can stabilize. And then crowding the pot.

What the gently caress are you doing to make fish tacos with a dutch oven? Im seriously confused.

Frying fish in oil, not the whole taco!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I've inherited two cast iron skillets from my deceased father. I found them sitting outside full of rainwater and steel wool because he had wet brain and forgot he was going to scrub and re-season them. Is there a dremel attachment I can use to sand this more quickly without cutting too far into the metal? Should I bother? I guess I should post pictures but I'm lazy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pile of Kittens posted:

Is there a dremel attachment I can use to sand this more quickly without cutting too far into the metal?

Get a few of these
http://www.dremel.com/en-US/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=502

You will eat up about one or two a pan though. And get HELLA dirty. Wear clothes you dont care about, gloves, face mask, and goggles. Do this outside on a surface you can easily vaccum, rinse down, or not give a gently caress about. Then strip that bitch to silver. Keep the tip moving and do light multiple passes.

It is super satisfying to de-rust a forgotten pan and bring back an antique. Sorry about your dad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pile of Kittens posted:

I've inherited two cast iron skillets from my deceased father. I found them sitting outside full of rainwater and steel wool because he had wet brain and forgot he was going to scrub and re-season them. Is there a dremel attachment I can use to sand this more quickly without cutting too far into the metal? Should I bother? I guess I should post pictures but I'm lazy.

go get an angle grinder with a wire wheel brush at harbor freight and you'll get it done so much faster than a dremel tool. dremel tools are not good at getting anything done remotely fast.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

OK, besides tomatoes, what do you guys NOT cook in your cast iron skillets?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Pineapples, lemons, limes, vinegar based sauces, pickles, shoes ...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Missing Name posted:

OK, besides tomatoes, what do you guys NOT cook in your cast iron skillets?

I cook tomato things in mine and have never noticed any issue with taste or chemical malactivity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Drifter posted:

I cook tomato things in mine and have never noticed any issue with taste or chemical malactivity.

Same. Try it and see if it turns you off. I've simmered tomato sauce in mine and have lived to tell about it. I don't have a golden tongue, though, and sometimes have black bits in the next thing I cook, which I call "flavor crystals."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dremels are excellent at xlruining things very quickly. Just ask TFR or AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't cook sauces in general in bare cast iron, but I do prefer enameled cast iron for that over stainless or whatever. I don't think I even have a non-stick pan any more.