Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can I post about carbon steel pans in here too? I need help. :(

I am trying to see if I can ditch all my lovely nonstick pans covered in forever chemicals and instead use carbon steel for all my non-stick food needs. (Also because I just remodeled my kitchen and got an induction stove and none of those pans work on it anyway.) I bought a little Merten & Storck pre-seasoned pan to test that plan. It was amazing the first time I used it, thanks to the pre-seasoning, and has gotten progressively worse since. I like to make breakfast burritos with chorizo and eggs, and even though the chorizo is pretty greasy, it isn't enough to keep the egg from sticking all over the pan. Yesterday I followed the Serious Eats method for seasoning carbon steel and went through 4 rounds of heating the pan, applying vegetable oil, putting it on my stove on med-high and waiting for it to stop smoking, repeat 3 more times.

Well this morning I made another breakfast burrito and

There is less stuck on poo poo compared to before I seasoned it, but this is obviously not great.

What it looks like after I cleaned it up.

How do I fix this? It would only take maybe 5min for the pan to stop smoking with each round, then I would repeat the steps. Was that not enough time? Should I do these steps inside the oven instead? Do I just need to do the steps another dozen times? I am feeling close to saying gently caress it and just buying more lovely non-stick pans, please talk me off the ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You probably need more heat before dropping the eggs.

Hrm.

DasNeonLicht posted:

my understanding is that "non-stick" surfaces like well-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel will never be as foolproof as chemical non-stick pans. you still need a bit of oil, and everything else is down to technique. even then, scrambled eggs seems like the ultimate test of a cast-iron or carbon-steel pan's non-stick properties, so a pan you just seasoned yesterday is probably still going to disappoint you

I'm afraid I don't have great advice for scrambled egg technique on carbon steel, but I think if you treat the egg more like an omelet and let it set before trying to move it, that will help — my omelets are probably too rubbery for most folks, but that is what has worked for me in my cast iron pan in the past. in my limited experience, making fluffy, undercooked egg curds in carbon steel or cast iron without a little bit of a mess to clean up afterwards seems out of the question

Hrm.

For the record I've had the pan a couple weeks now and have done a single round of seasoning to it probably half a dozen times after I've cooked with it, yesterday was the first time I just tried to do it multiple times in a row. I guess I've only used it once to cook something different, bacon and then shrimp for some shrimp and grits and it was fine for that. I never thought I'd be able to replicate the non-stick pan experience completely with carbon steel but I guess my expectations were still unrealistic.

I will adjust my cooking technique and see if that improves things.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah thirding oil + heat before any food touches.

If your first cook step is chorizo on an empty pan, a thin layer of pork will bind to the pan. After removing most of the cooked chorizo, the thin layer remains and is basically velcro for whatever you cook next.

So even if you are cooking something that gives off fat, that process is too slow to protect the pan from the very first fond forming. Always give a very thin layer of oil or saved grease from last time first and you'll be golden!

Yeah I am starting with a cold pan and adding chorizo and some diced onion, cooking that up, then adding the whisked egg. Sounds like I should be heating the pan and adding additional fat before anything else. Thanks goons, I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trip report: the chorizo is what is loving things up, for sure. Got the pan hot, added oil, tossed in my chorizo and onions and let them cook. When I got to adding the egg stage it still stuck everywhere the chorizo had been, but didn't stick in the other spots! Woo! I did use a metal spatula this time and scraped out most of the stuck bits, it tastes ok. I want to cook the chorizo and eggs in the same pan so the egg incorporate all the good grease and spices so I am not sure how to fix this. More oil? Higher heat? I am coming to realize that I've really done myself and my culinary troubleshooting skills a disservice by primarily using nonstick pans for cooking for the majority of my life.