Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I recently re-seasoned my skillet with a few sessions of corn oil for lack of anything else on hand following Lodge's directions, and found it a little sticky after that so I started tossing it into the oven whenever I was cooking to continue to polymerize it or whatever this wizardry is.

Anyway the last time I did this, I was cooking some ziti on the top rack and made the mistake of putting the skillet inverted on the bottom rack, no foil underneath (because there's nothing to drip, right?), and the oven's heating element ended up overheating and catching fire. The thing was burning like a sparkler, even after turning off the oven it continued to burn and spark. After standing there like a fool debating what to do next, realizing the oven wasn't going to be oxygen deprived, considering the fire extinguisher and wondering at what point to call the fire department I ended up throwing the fuse to kill it.

This has been a public service announcement! Maybe the pan being inverted allowed for a particularly hot spot or something, but I'm going to be keeping my cast iron away from the bottom level altogether in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU