Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

feelz good man posted:

Seriously, when people are ready to accept that cast iron sucks for a lot of things, aluminum will be there waiting for them.

I just picked this up today for thirty bucks. Aluminum is superior for cooking with in almost every way. Heat distribution, cost, preheat time, no having to season, not being a huge pan sperg, weight, you name it.

Eh, no thanks. New evidence for an active role of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

I've heard that before in remote camps - cook didn't rinse the dishes properly so the crew got the runs from the dish soap. More likely it was giardia or some low grade food poisoning bug.

The best story I've heard about remote camps (logging) was that the cook didn't rinse the dishes soon enough after dinner and the whole camp got bears.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

he also doesn't remember ever using antiperspirant

Jokes on you I have an allergic reaction to antiperspirant, I can only use deodorant.

As for eating out, I do so about twice a month, so fairly low risk. I like making my own food.

Truth be told I'm not worried about aluminum pots, I was just half heartedly bashing it because this is the cast iron thread.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

holy gently caress, what is going on here?

Showing you why you never toss water on a grease fire. For some program I'd imagine.

If you don't know, you either use a fire extinguisher or use BAKING SODA (not flour) to smother it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

wormil posted:

As a kid my dad's friends threw weekend long parties at their cabin. Starting Friday night they would hang a cauldron like that over an open fire, add water, beans, vegetables + whatever random meat (deer, beef, squirrel, pork, rabbit) everyone brought. And it would cook slowly over Friday night and feed everyone for 2 day.

The very definition of pottage. These huge cauldrons are great for it. Made some last year, the evening meal was nice, lunch the next day was AMAZING.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

It looks like Discovery is doing a North American version (Never Ever Do This At Home), but the original show (Ikke gjør dette hjemme [Don't do this at home]) can be found on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-pUtjBrzQ

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

fish pancakes?

fish cakes, duh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Best price

Second best price

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

What does it weigh?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Is that too long for a thread title?

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Also since being gifted one at Christmas I can recommend a stainless steel chainmail scrub enough. Abrasive enough to pull off chunks, but not abrasive in a way that touches the seasoning.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Mine just pisses me off when i try to actually clean with it.

Fun to play with, though.

Odd, mine works great.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

After doing this I found it was a bit more difficult to get the seasoning to stick, but ultimately once it did it was much smoother. If it's a bit harder to season this time, stick with it.

:rimshot:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of the pan (especially the machining/polishing) after you get them.

Also, my brother bought this for me to bribe me into helping him move some furniture. I would have helped him anyway though...

It's a souse mold. I can't find much information on it though. No markings on it that I can find.

I snagged one at a yard sale. Never used it, but it looks great on the kitchen wall.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Picked up a Griswold for twelve bucks at an antique store while camping this past weekend. Dating website seems to place it within a decade either way of WW2. It's a small skillet, smooth bottomed and perfect for cooking single person meals over a fire.

Excellent find.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

I just bought the coolest little pot with a lid. It holds maybe a quart, and I got it for $12. Got it home and hit it with a wire brush and it looks like it is cracked. Either I did it or it was already cracked; there is a hairline crack down the side that had rust in it, so I'm betting it was already there and I didn't notice it (I didn't look closely at it when I bought it)

I'm planning to use it on my grill for small servings of beans and the like. Should I still use it or is it going to split the first time I use it? It's in the oven seasoning now.

If the seasoning doesn't make it split, it will probably be fine to use for your purposes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

red19fire posted:

Is there a noticeable difference between enameled cast iron and plain?

Many differences, but it depends on what you are wondering about. Care? How it it used in cooking? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

red19fire posted:

I have nonstick for the most part, but I’m considering dumping it all for stainless and cast iron, and I heard enameled cast iron has all the benefits with much less maintenance required.

Pretty much. Though with cast iron you can use any utensil and with enamel I'd recommend using the same utensils that you'd use with non-stick so you don't risk scratching the surface.