Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I've been learning to cook on my 10" Griswold pan for the past year and a half, and have really been enjoying it.

I'm about to move to an apartment that has an glass-top electric range. Someone told me they always heard that you can't use cast iron on a glass top and the Internet is given me mixed information. Concerns seem to be about scratching, cracking (by dropping the pan), or overheating the glass (evidently cast iron is hotter than other metals?).

Is this a real concern or can I just cook on it as long as I don't slam the pan down and slide it around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Thanks, glad to know it's not a big deal. I'll just plow ahead with using my cast iron for nearly everything then.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I primarily use my chain mail scrubber on my Pyrex casserole pans and it has been great. Especially since there are always the tough bits of sauce and cheese that end up burning onto the sides of the pan.

Rarely do I need to use it on my cast iron, but it is nice to knock off the tough bits.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Same Great Paste posted:

Just to chime in here. My wife got a 6" for Xmas - I ground it smooth and did the standard oven-bake seasoning. She had read about how well Flax polymerized so was excited to use that. First or second usage, nearly a third of it just sheeted off. Which is what led me this page/quote from serious eats.

Have since reseasoned with canola, no issues so far.

Just an anecdote / I'm no expert.

E: Note that both times I baked it, I did so upside down. So if my issue was too much oil ... not quite sure how that'd happen.

My experience with the flax seed oil method was similar. I did three layers, it looked great, and then started flaking off right away.

I tried a couple different methods after that, before finding the Field Skillet recommended method, which I've been using with grape seed oil with good results:

https://youtu.be/j6Tz3HnnCFs

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I started using cast iron for the first time about three years ago. My parents had two old pans sitting around from their parents that they never used.

For the first year and a half I used the first pan on an electric coil top type of stove (where the pan sits on the raise coils) with good luck. I then moved apartments to one with an electric smooth glass type of stove and found that the bottom of the pan was not level. It was pain since it made it nearly impossible to stir or even scoop stuff out the pan without needing to hold the handle to stop it from spinning around.

I tried beating the bottom of a the pan with a rubber mallet for a while and then just went over to the second pan (which despite being the same diameter, somehow feels twice as heavy). It's been a year now, and while it started off great, it's now to the point where it too wants to spin (still not as bad as the first pan).

What's going on here? Is there a good way to make the bottom flat again, and is there any way to keep it flat?

If it is due to uneven heating, that seems like a runaway problem, since as the bottom bulges out, only it is making direct contact with the glasstop, so it will continue to receive more uneven heating.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If it's like my glass top you're getting seasoning on the bottom of the pan from incidental oil splatter. Lol rubber mallet on cast iron.

It seems odd to me that the oil would build up in the center underneath the pan, I would think if anything, it would build up on the edges. I'll try giving the bottom a good scrubbing this weekend and see if it levels it out at all.

I had read elsewhere that if the pan heats up unevenly the center will buckle some since it can't push out to the sides. I'm not sure why a pan that's been around for forty years would just start doing that now. Also, now that the center makes the only direct contact with the stove, it seems like it would only get worse with no way to fix it.

I just wanted to try something before giving up on the pan, but the mallet worked about as well as you would think.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Bullet proof vest to wear under your shirt when facing the town bully in a showdown.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I use grapeseed oil and follow this process.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
My first seasoning I used flax seed oil and put on at least five layers. It looked great and then started flaking off in big chunks.

I now use The Field Company method using the recommended grapeseed oil with good results.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Xander77 posted:

So back to seasoning - at what temperature and for how long?

I've tried a few different methods, and my best results have been with grapeseed oil and following the Field Company guide

https://fieldcompany.com/pages/how-to-season-cast-iron-pan-skillet-instructions

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Zeno-25 posted:

What's the thread's current consensus on seasoning with flax? Pretty sure I found this article here years ago: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Never had cast iron before (except my le creuset dutch oven that kicks rear end) but I received a big Smithey skillet for xmas and have been working on seasoning it over the last week with flaxseed. The polished interior surface seems to be taking a lot longer to develop a blackish coating than the exterior surfaces, but after 4 coats it is starting to turn a darker color and developing a shiny enamel sort of surface. I did not strip the factory pre-seasoning, which is grapeseed oil. Planning on like 10 coats from the looks of things.

Oil goes on after preheating to 200 and then up to 500 for an hour with two hour cool down period.

Thanks guys

When I followed that about six years ago, I put on several layers and it looked great. Then it started flaking off right away when I started cooking with it.

I know other people in this thread say that it works fine for them though.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Carillon posted:

After getting my pan really hot to make tortillas, my seasoning started to really flake, so I think it's time to strip and reseason. When I first got going with cast iron it was about flax oil, but I understand that there might be better oils out there now to put down a base layer. Should I just do basic veg? Any thoughts on the best one to use?

I use The Field Company method with grapeseed oil.

My experience with flax seed oil is the same as theirs, but clearly some people seem to have it work fine for them.

The Field Company posted:

On the flipside, beware of drying oils that are very high in unsaturated fatty acids, such as flaxseed oil. While flaxseed oil is a popular choice on the internet, we’ve found the seasoning it produces can be brittle and prone to flaking. Grapeseed strikes a good balance, is easy to find in most supermarkets, and it’s also a great everyday cooking fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. I don't have a grinder here, only a DA polisher and drill so I used a flat 60-grit disk, like with the velcro on the back. I don't know if that's the reason or it' happened to be a particularly crappy sandpaper but it was pretty tough to sand it down actually, and I didn't get everything completely flat. But as you say, probably good enough as I leveled it a little.

Did 3 coats (4th is in progress) of the way it's described in the Serious Eats article and it looks like this, still very shiny but a bit yellowish. Is this how it's supposed to look, because at this rate it's not getting that properly seasoned black look anytime soon.

My oven maxes out at 220c but it seems to be getting the pan up to at least 200c. This is on the bottom which I just wire-wheeled and is still properly black:

I'm not sure what the Serious Eats method is, but after trying a few methods I have settled on The Field Company using grapeseed oil.