Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had my first cast iron accident. I cooked a bunch of onions with a bit of olive oil, then rinsed the pan off and set it back on the stove on low and ate. A little while later I smelled smoke, and it seems that some of the oil was beginning to burn. There was a thick black crust around the center, so I went and just scrubbed away all the accumulated everything with soap. Now there's still a deep black spot in the center that I couldn't easily scrub away. I gave the whole thing a coat of olive oil so it shouldn't rust for now, but should I try harder to scrub away the center and give it a proper even seasoning or just say fuckit and cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Didn't even notice that it looks like a hole when I posted, but I definitely can see it now.

wormil posted:

No matter how long I look at this I can't not see a hole. Does that pan have any seasoning at all? ( I'm on my phone so maybe it's that)
I believe the center is still more or less 'seasoned', as it's pretty much the same color as the edges. I just scrubbed away most of the the normal seasoning when I removed the charred gunk.

Drifter posted:

Say gently caress it and just keep cooking.
Sounds good!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

My dad's been helping a friend going through an estate, and I helped out move a couple things and got this:

Looks to be pretty great condition from what I can tell, but gonna strip and reseason it anyways. Oven cleaner in a bag is the easiest good way to go, right?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Grabbed a pretty nasty Wagner skillet at a thrift store. Can just barely make out the 'sidney' beneath a thick layer of nonsense.

Currently soaking it in lye, hopefully it'll clean up nicely!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Lhet posted:

Grabbed a pretty nasty Wagner skillet at a thrift store. Can just barely make out the 'sidney' beneath a thick layer of nonsense.

Currently soaking it in lye, hopefully it'll clean up nicely!

Had to scrape a bit on the bottom, but it cleaned up nicely!