Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

funkatron3000 posted:

Nah, should be fine, at least I hope so. I used titebond 2, which is the food safe one that you use for cutting boards. If anyone knows for sure that it's a terrible idea, let me know heh.

The wax finish will also melt a bit in hot liquid, so I only used enough to soak into the wood. There's basically none on the surface.

The paddle looks great and Titetbond 2 should work fine as long as you don't leave the paddle in the hot liquid any longer than necessary. Moisture and heat is the recommended way to disassemble parts glued together with Titebond. Titebond 3 may have been a better choice since it is rated as waterproof while Titebond 2 is rated as water resistant. Both have the same food safe rating.

It will probably be fine as long as you remove the paddle while you're not stirring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
fyi: Sausage gravy is the recommended adhesive for joining two biscuits together.

eta: speaking of biscuits, I've been making egg and cheese biscuits by cooking the eggs in the oven with the biscuits.

I add the eggs about six minutes before the biscuits are done. Works great and only one pan to clean.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 30, 2015

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
No problem, I did quite a bit of research on adhesives a while back when I started building this teardrop camper in what used to be my kitchen. I really need a garage.

More woodworking in the cast iron thread (some of my cast iron is hanging on the wall in the second picture though).

The date on the picture is wrong but this has been a multi year project. I'm quite a bit further along than these pictures. I need to take some new ones.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
^^^ I just put a small pat of butter in before the eggs and they don't stick at all. The pan is very well seasoned though.

My progress on the trailer is so slow a thread of it's own would die pretty quick so here is what I've done so far. It's hard getting good pictures since I'm building it in my kitchen and there isn't a whole lot of extra room.

I bought this book to get some ideas,
Teardrops and Tiny Trailers by Douglas Heister

And drew some rough plans of what I wanted

A lot of people start with a bolt together Harbor Freight trailer but they are pretty expensive for what you get. I used to work building and repairing utility trailers so I built this one from scrap steel that was laying around the shop.

Scrap steel and "junk" parts. Springs and wheel hubs from an old boat trailer. Tires and wheels came free from another trailer shop that we would do aluminum welding and build axles for.

Trailer frame at home in my kitchen

Most people use plywood for the floor of the trailer and cover it with paint or tar. I used these two sheets of HDPE (high density polyethylene, cutting board material) so there would be no chance of the floor rotting. They were leftover from making industrial cutting dies so they were free as well.

Used a router to cut down the end so they would overlap to seal out moisture and air.

HDPE installed and the floor framing.

Insulation in the floor

I built the walls at the shop (more room) and brought them home in an enclosed trailer.

Some of my cast iron helping to weigh down the plywood for the flooor while the glue sets.Passenger side wall in the background. Look at that awesome avocado colored stove.

Putting in the horizontal braces.

Paneling installed on the inside of the front and roof. The wood wouldn't make the bend there so I have some heavy plastic that will fill in those areas. They will be hidden by shelves on the inside and the aluminum skin on the outside.

I'm currently building the cabinets and shelve for the galley in the rear of the trailer. There is still a lot of work to do.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
No need to take it apart. My kitchen has double doors so there is just enough room to get back out.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

spankmeister posted:

By the way the penny just dropped on your name. :lsd:

Yeah, it's a reference to the tool. Confusing with this being the cooking subforum.

MrYenko posted:

I need to come to your house for breakfast. For science.

Bring some bacon or sausage and we can science the poo poo out of it. I'll even dress up like Bill Nye

I had been wanting a nice saucepan for a long time and I received a Le Creuset pan (the orange one) for Christmas. A few weeks after that I found the blue one (also Le Creuset) at an indoor flea market for $2.00, no lid but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It's in great shape other than a few small chips in the enamel on the outside. A few weeks after that I found the small black skillet (Le Creuset) at the same flea market for $6.00. I really need to stop buying cast iron, 28 pieces so far.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

That is a fantastic collection. Do you use them or are they decorative pieces only?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That is an old Lodge pan made somewhere between 1960 - 1987. I think it's worth buying for $20.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I've been wanting the Lodge Sportsman hibachi grill for a few years but couldn't bring myself to buy it. Today my grandfather gave me this bad-rear end grill -

I can't wait to try it out. The other square thing is a Wagner 1103D bacon press made to fit in a square pan (also labeled 1103D), I did not get the pan along with it. Now I need to keep an eye out for one to make the set.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My former roommate hosed up my pan a couple times and let it rust. Since then, the "olive oil +1 hour in the oven" seasoning doesn't seem to hold. Is there a more thorough seasoning that isn't super spergy I should do?

There may still be rust in the pan preventing the seasoning from sticking. Here's what I would try,

-Let it soak in vinegar for a few hours to neutralize any rust
-Scrub the the inside of the pan with salt and a rag or a stiff bristled brush to remove any loose seasoning
-Rinse with water
-Heat in the oven until completely dry
-Let cool
-Season. I use vegetable oil at 450 degrees for about an hour.
-Avoid cooking acidic foods until you get a good layer of seasoning built up in the pan.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That depends a lot on the type of olive oil. I see it listed here from 320-468 degrees

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Nhilist posted:

Words cannot express how much I love this thing. Off to internet detect one.

If you can find any information about I would love to here it. All I can find is that they were sold through Cracker Barrel stores at some point and there was also a cow version.

I found the cow version on ebay, currently no bids. $45 plus $24 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAST-IRON-COW-HIBACHI-CAMPING-GRILL-VINTAGE-/252077187890?hash=item3ab0f8a332
The description says it is incomplete/broken though

And this one that already ended
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221809580057

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Piggy made some chicken.

It seeded appropriate to cook some pork on it but I don't much care for it and none of it looked all that great at the store.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I don't have a scale but comparing it to a gallon jug of water I would guess 12 to 15 pounds.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have one of these - Oster Extra Large Digital Toaster Oven - and it works great. Heats up quickly, does convection and all of my pans fit except for my 15'" skillet that I don't use anyway. The skillet actually fits in the oven but the handle sticks out. My 5 quart dutch oven fits in it nicely as well.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
If it matters to you all of the enameled Lodge cast iron is made in China. Woot currently has a Fontignac by Staub 8 Qt. Round Red Cocotte (made in France) for $100.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Bed Bath and Beyond has a Fontignac Round 5-Quart Casserole in Blue For $100 with free shipping if the 8 Qt is too big/heavy/won't fit in your oven.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
You forgot about beans. Add in some some sausage or ham and you're all set.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I didn't mean to add those beans to your chili. I mean cook that bag of beans with some sausage or ham for some fantastic bean soup to eat with your cornbread.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Odd, mine works great.

I received one for Christmas as well and mine works great. I should have bought one a long time ago.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I've been using my cast iron on a glass top induction cook top for about two years with absolutely zero problems. There are a few very light scuff marks from me sliding the pan around but I'm sure that would happen eventually with most pans. I've accidentally set the pan down much harder than I meant to and still haven't broken the glass. That poo poo is tough.

If you can rub your hand around on the bottom of the pan and not feel any sharp/rough edges it shouldn't scratch the glass, especially on an old Griswold.

I would cook on it and not worry about it at all.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
What's wrong with Le Creuset? I have three of them and think they are great.

I found this Kickstarter for a company making cast iron pans that are machined and polished like they used to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Currently at $763,436 of their $30,000 goal.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of the pan (especially the machining/polishing) after you get them.

Also, my brother bought this for me to bribe me into helping him move some furniture. I would have helped him anyway though...

It's a souse mold. I can't find much information on it though. No markings on it that I can find. It goes nicely with my pig hibachi.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 29, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

augias posted:

I am salty because the pan cracked under high heat, which was through my neglect and ignorance entirely but i had expected two high heat tolerant materials to withstand at least two minutes on hi.

Also because i had to pay him for a pan he never really used.

Ah, that I can understand. Not to make it worse but Le Creuset has a pretty good warranty and they may have replaced it for you.

The Midniter posted:

gently caress
How do I convince my wife I need a $100 cast iron pan

Tell her it's a wedding present for your kids and you need to use it to make sure it's well seasoned for them.
Or smack her in the head with it when she asks about it, she'll eventually forget. :downswords:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I snagged one at a yard sale. Never used it, but it looks great on the kitchen wall.

I hung mine on the kitchen wall as well. Do you know anything about them? Does yours have any marks on it?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

My grandmother died a couple weeks back, so now I have no grandparents. But I did get this out of it:

Apparently this pan belonged to my great grandmother. It looks pretty old school, nice smooth finish and a bottom ring close to the edge.

If you you were wondering about the pan, I think that is an old Lodge from between 1940 and 1950. The three notches in the heat ring say it's a Lodge and they put their name on them before 1940 and from 1987 to present. After 1950 it would have an "SK" before the 8 indicating that it was a skillet. After 1960 (when a lot of imported cast iron started coming in) it would have "Made in USA" on it as well.

augias posted:

Yeah, le creuset germany did not want to replace it without proof of purchase. Lord knows I tried. I've heard Le Creuset in the USofA is a lot more forgiving about htings like that? My best friend's wife says she got a replacement for a cracked dutch oven without provinding them anything but an email :confused:

I haven't had to use their warranty but I have heard they are very lenient in the US. Still sucks for you though, they aren't cheap new. I bought two of mine for less than $10 at a flea market and the other was new that I got as a gift.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I finally decided that I was going to back the Kickstarter for the Field Skillet, I was 9 minutes to late.

It ended at $1,633,361 ($30,000 goal) with 12,553 backers.

I wonder if this will cause other manufacturers to finish their pans better. I think I will email Lodge and suggest it.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
If your just removing some rust the easiest way is to let it soak in a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. An hour or two and the rust should be gone.

I emailed Lodge a link to that Kickstarter and asked if they had plans to do anything similar regarding the finish on their pans.
Thier reply

quote:

Hi my_name,

Thanks for taking time to send this and for being a Lodge fan. I’ll be sure to pass this along to our Product Development Team.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

All the Best,

-name, email and phone number removed

I guess if they they are planning on doing anything they are keeping it to themselves for now.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I just moved into a new place and bought a Dutch oven. It says on the box it's oven safe to 550F. Why are they lying to me?

What type of handle does the lid have?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

I have a lodge that I like, but I'd enjoy a higher quality (so I guess old) cast iron. I live in Canada.

Is ebay the best place to find those? Shipping is probably going to be stupidly expensive

Flea markets, yard sales and estate auctions are a great place to look, it seems like you have a better chance a finding a good pan that isn't way overpriced.

I usually take a small steel ruler with me so I can check to see if the bottom is warped. Also, hold it by the handle with two fingers and hit it with your knuckle to see if it's cracked. A cracked pan will usually have a dull thud, a good pan will have a short ringing sound to it. I don't usually care if the pan has so much crud built up on it that I can't see the name or marks on the bottom, if it' has that much build-up on it it's probably a good old pan (and t's fun to clean it up and find out what it is).

Older Lodge pans are nice and smooth on the inside and usually go pretty cheap because they are unmarked and 'generic'.

Identifying Lodge cast iron
Arc Logo - from 1910-1930's
No logo - late 1930's - heat ring with one notch at 12 o'clock (opposite side of the handle) and a raised size number on the top of the handle or the bottom of the pan under the notch.
No logo - 1940's-1950's - heat ring with three notches at 9 12 and 3 o'clock
No logo - 1950's-1960 - letters were added denoting the type of pan. SK for skillet, DO for dutch oven , etc
No logo - 1960-1987 - "Made in USA was added
Egg Logo - 1987-current

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

moller posted:

I may be way off base here, but is that a Le Creuset with the "satin black" interior surface? I inherited one of those and I have no idea how to use/clean it. Treating it like my Lodge doesn't seem to work. Treating it like a normal pan doesn't seem to work.

I wash mine like any regular pan and occasionally use Bar Keepers Friend to remove anything that starts building up on it. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Friend®-Cleanser-Polish/dp/B000V72992

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Multiple people on Amazon list the ingredients as -
Organic palm oil, organic coconut oil, organic sunflower seed oil, vitamin E, citric acid 

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have the 6qt Lodge BSA dutch oven and it's great. I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the one linked in the post above except it's $20 more. It did come with a nice recipe book though.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L12CO3BS-America-Pre-Seasoned-6-Quart/dp/B0009JKG92

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
It shouldn't hurt it at all. I flipped through the book that came with mine and it didn't say anything about it.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Scrub it with some vinegar and a stiff bristled brush, rinse with plain water, put it on the stove to completely dry it, after it's dry immediately put a coating of oil on it and season it.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

Without seeing the rest of the bottom of the pan and the handle --
I believe that is a Lodge pan. If that is the only notch in the heat ring then it is from the 1930's. If there are three notches in the heat ring it is going to be from 1940's.
-- Is my best estimate

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I too, was a very good boy this year:

Not sure what make or era specifically it is, but I now have a 12" pan, and an awfully nice one by the look and feel of it, so I'm quite happy.

Birmingham Stove & Range Co. from 1930's to early 1950's, Red Mountain series. The Red Mountain series was introduced in 1930, this name was because Birmingham, Alabama has an area known as Red Mountain – it's so rich in iron ore, the rock faces have a reddish hue from the hematite iron ore in the rock. You can go visit the mountain that your pan was made from.

They are thicker and heavier than Griswold or Wagner of the same era and tend to be able to handle higher heat without warping. Very nice pans.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I know they have been mentioned before in this thread but the chainmail scrubbers work great.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That's definitely a Lodge pan from the 1940's. Everyone seems to always want Griswold but the old unmarked Lodge pans are just as good and can be found much cheaper.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I don't know about that particular one but portable induction cooktops a definitely a thing. I have this one and it works great. It has a glass top but it hasn't been a problem in the two years that I've been using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the one I have stopped working. I read through some of the reviews and it reminded of one drawback,

Amazon Reviewer posted:

Levels 1 and 2 are advertised as 200W and 500W--they achieve the lower levels by cycling the power to the coil on and off at 1000W, which makes it impossible to maintain a slow boil/simmer when cooking things like rice and pasta.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but it is something to be aware of. I think a heavy cast iron pan helps smooth out the affect of the power cycles. I don't cook rice or pasta very often but I don't have any trouble when I do.