Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
What kind of pan is the one you have now?

Amazon has a 10.25 inch Lodge skillet for $16
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SK3-Skillet-Pre-Seasoned-10-25-inch/dp/B00006JSUA

I really prefer older pans. The finish on them is usually much smoother, new Lodge pans have a fairly rough texture. If you use the pan enough the seasoning will eventually get thick enough to smooth out roughness so it's really not much of an issue.

For buying older pans I look at yard sales, flea markets and Craigslist. You could try putting a wanted ad on Craigslist. Ebay is usually way overpriced. Ask your elderly neighbors and other family, sometimes the pans get to be too heavy for them to use so they sit in a cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I was going through my pans thinking about selling some of them, especially the 15'' Lodge skillet that is way to big for both my oven and single induction cooktop along with a few smaller skillets that I have duplicates of. I looked up shipping costs and decided it probably wasn't worth bothering with.

While I had them all out I had to re-season a few due to a little rust, it gets pretty humid here in the summer. I decided to take some (bad) pictures of the differences in the finish of the pans.

First, one of my favorite skillets,
Vollrath 6 inch, 1930-1940s. I paid $4 for it.

It has some pitting on it but nice and smooth overall.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lodge 8 inch, new-ish, I paid $6 for this one.

Very rough pebbly cooking surface.

Lodge 6 inch, New-ish. Also paid $4 for this one.

Same rough finish as the last one. Paid $4 for it.

Generic "Made In Taiwan" 8 inch, Early 1970's. I don't remember where or how I got this one. I wouldn't have bought it.

Poorly machined fairly rough finish.

Lodge 10 inch with a three notch heat ring. Given to my mother as a wedding gift in the late 1970's. She gave it to me about ten years ago. My first cast iron pan and I still use a few times a week.

Nice and smooth

Edit: fixed a picture, added sizes

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 18, 2017

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Let's say I wanted to have Cast Iron Aspergers and grind a new pan to an old-fashioned finish. What would that entail? What was the original process that was used on old iron? Is there something different that hobbyists do today?

I think most people are using an angle grinder with a sanding wheel on it. Something like this. I would definitely start with something less abrasive, 200 grit maybe. 80 grit on an angle grinder will remove a lot of material very fast.

A random orbital sander would probably be a better choice. It would take a little longer but have much less chance of making a mistake by removing too much material in one area. I see them in pawn shops for $10 all the time.

I believe older pans were machined smooth in a lathe of a mill. The Generic "Made In Taiwan" 8 inch pan that I posted a picture of looks like it was put in a lathe and poorly finished.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Letting water simmer in it won't do anything for that rust that's left. I would scrub it with either a very stiff brush or some sandpaper with a little water or white vinegar to help loosen the rust.

Immediately heat the pan afterwards to dry it and start seasoning it to prevent it from rusting more.